We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Are "Hex Perks" even worth running anymore?

A little rant of my experience after getting back into killer,

Every time I bring a Hex whether it be Devour, Ruin, Blood Favor, Retribution, or even Huntress Lullaby its gone <1 minute into the match. I've tried to mediate this with Undying but with little luck. Sometimes the aura reading gives me more benefit. I think the last time I got true value I would consider the perk worth running was a hidden Huntress Lullaby on RPD.

I think survivors have just gotten to a point in skill where totem spots aren't hard to predict, and anti-totem perks (most namely boons) are so in play it feels like everything is against Hexes.

I think the only real counter is a Plaything + Pentimento build to capitalize on this. Any tips to make them worth running or are they pretty much a lost cause?

Comments

• Hensen2100
    Hensen2100 Member Posts: 339

They can be good on certain killers. Usually you want to use them with a map offering though, totem builds while going to a random map is dicey. A few addons, like Leprose Lichen and Field Recorder, make them significantly more effective.

Blood favor is about as close to free downs as it is going to get in DBD, especially on stealth killers. It can win you plenty of momentum even if it only stays alive for a handful of attacks. What you do from there is up to you. Finish the first survivor off quickly and win the game in a 3v1? It was worth it. Continue going for 12 hooks but now an entire perk down? Not worth it.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Sadly, no. They are just too volatile.

I do run Plaything+Penti on Wesker and Devour on Hag and Demo, but those are the exception.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,248

How to rework hexes:

1) let The Entity sustain all of the killers hexes at the start of the match for 1:30min. In this time all totems are dull.

2) Survivors can interact with all totems any way they like: cleanse them to power their Inner Healing/Overzealous, boon them, make a note about them, cleanse them all to prevent NOED etc.

3) after 1:30mins The Entity moves all hexes to random dulls on the map, starting from left in the killers loadout to right. If not enough dulls remain in the game, the rightmost killers hex perk stop working now.

This will give a killer 1:30min if guranteed usage of their perks, while not interfering with the survivors portion of dealing with totems. Quite contrary, this will put totems back on the survivors secondary objective menu, as Hexes become viable again, some survivors might want to cleanse 2 or 3 dulls in order to prevent hexes to spawn in.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

Nope, aside from plaything and pentimento doing their mid-game slowdown shuffle.

The changes made by boons to put totems in even more obvious places so that Killers can also squeeze in and get to them has never helped; the odds at least someone is running CoH in any given game are super high; and the time needed to get rid of them is comically low and require specific builds to even try and protect them (if they're not cleansed immediately).

Add that Ruin is now not only nerfed in how effective it is but self-deletes and the most common culprit is dead and buried... well, kind of dismal.

With the added bonus of every time I try to run multiple hexes, I seem to attract Survivors running that 'cleansing a hex is a massive repair speed boost' thing, to the point that I keep winding up down several perks whilst the other side is buffed by my even trying.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

I know hexes are high risk high reward, but it's ridiculous that survivors can still spawn next to totems. I remember one survivor match in particular where we spawned into the map Midwitch, and I spawned into the room that also contained the huntress' lullaby hex. I cleansed it, and it was gone within 10 seconds of the match starting. Naturally as a survivor it was cool to see, but I couldn't help but feel bad for the killer!

The totem spawn points need to be addressed. Until that day comes I don't bother with hexes anymore unless I run pentamento as a backup.

• Stabby_Widdershins
    Stabby_Widdershins Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2022

Hexes were almost never woth it. Then the devs decided to give Survivors better Hexes called 'Boons'.

This necessitated moving all totems into easy-to-find areas to be Booned, which nerfed Hexes even more. Which was fine, because it was a Killer nerf. 🙃

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

No. Hexes are high risk/low to moderate reward. Plaything and pentimento are the only decent ones and even those take so long to get rolling that the games usually over by then. Almost all the hexes need massive buffs to be worth the risk and totems in general need a rework to how they work since after all these years they’re still in terrible spots. Since it’s clear we can’t figure out how to hide totems they just need to function different with the assumption that the spots are bad.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,440

There are only two builds with hexes where I get use out of them (other than Plaything/Penti) and only one of those is more than entertainment.

That's DH, Undying, Haunted Grounds, and either Retribution or Thrill of the Hunt. Generally, I'll lose all hexes someways into the match but, by then, the survivors are hurt too badly to have a good chance of recovering.

It's not a given but I also get entertainment value from Undying, Haunted Grounds, Retribution and Thrill of the Hunt. It's sporadic value and mainly just used for the memes but it's hilarious to defend the totems against survivors that are sure it's something nasty that needs to be cleansed when it's Haunted Grounds.

Other than Devour Hope, though, there are no hex perks that are worth taking the Undying and Haunted Grounds you need as a minimum for ensuring your hexes last more than a minute or two.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,872

I never run Hex perks for this reason, well maybe once in a while I will risk a Devour just for the sheer fun of it. But I still have trauma from OG Ruin days when your Ruin would disappear within the first 30 seconds or if you got lucky the first minute of pretty much every match.

I guess the idea is Hex perks are meant to be strong but come with a big trade off of risk... a trade off I am not willing to make.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857

It's literally a lottery at this point. If you played with Devour Hope for a 100 matches, you would get about 3-4 occasions where you could mori at least one survivor. The overwhelming majority of cases would be either cleansed before 3 hooks or immediately afterwards. I personally don't use any Hex perks unless a tome challenge requires it.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

Unless you are playing a fun build or you want Survivors to do your totems, then no, not worth it.

What doesn't help either is new maps have yet again easy spots for totems to spawn.

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 1,035

They're still very common in the matches I play, so I'd say yes.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,262

The problem with 'high risk' perks or mechanics, is that the higher skill you face, the higher the risk gets.

Better survivors = hex gets cleansed quicker.

As others have said, Plaything + Pentimento is only worth running because constantly cleansing all these totems acts as significant slowdown. But they will all get cleansed.

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 1,035
    edited December 2022

I think they are because it seems to be Hexes like Plaything, Huntress Lullabye, Blood Favour and Pentimento which pop up randomly mid match and NOED appearing in the endgame - therefore people are busy doing gens/being chased and have less time to look for hexes by that point. Its's less of your Ruins which are more readily noticeable earlier in the game - When Ruin was heavily used my first action in most matches was to tap a gen to see if activated, if it did I went to find the bones. But with the above ones killers are getting more play out of them.

I wouldn't be against some sort of timed hex protection though - even if it were an offering.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913
    edited December 2022

I’ve seen a lot of people saying that Plaything/Pentimento is a good combo but you can hard counter it by blessing the Plaything totem and not giving the killer an opportunity to even get Pentimento value :/

I barely run into hex totems but I’ve been blessing every single one I see for the achievement and no killer ever gets Pentimento value because I just bless the totem.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,267

they're kinda bad design to begin with imo, so im not too sad that they're bad. It's pretty hard to balance something that can be destroyed within 30 seconds of a match starting while not making the perk insanely op in a way where it's fun for both sides

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,267

That's still massive value lmao. If you're wasting 30 second booning a plaything totem out of fear of pentimento i would call that a win.