Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How to reduce Tunnelling (from a Killers perspective)

StickyB
StickyB Member Posts: 96
edited January 2023 in General Discussions

Now I'm not saying that this is going to be a 100% guarantee that you wont get tunnelled after this but these are the things that'll make me tunnel as a killer (maybe even camp more than I should)

1. Taking the hit after being unhooked, ESPECIALLY if your savour isn't injured. You're giving me the choice between someone stage 2+ who I can down in one hit vs someone who could be fresh who I need to down in two hits, it's pretty simple maths. This is probably the number one cause for me tunnelling someone and it's completely preventable on the survivors side. DONT TAKE THE HIT.
  2. Bringing me to an unfavourable map, this one might sound a bit entitled but I'm more likely to sweat and not even give a hatch if I see someone bring me to Ormand or Erie. Those maps are too large at the moment and makes pressuring gens too hard when they're on the other side of the map. And the only other way to pressure gens without being there, it pressuring a kill. Whether that means people have to come take hits so it's not a 1v3 or or they need 2 people for the unhook, sometimes it's simply to viable to leave the unhooked person if it means I'm pulling multiple people off of gens. However, if I get taken to these maps by random, I'll probs just play for fun since I'm most likely not getting a 4k.
  3. Running towards gens, so many times will I see someone unhooked and they'll beeline it towards the gens instead of staying away and running off with the person who unhooked them, if I can down you in my gens, I will take it as that's free pressure.
  4. If you're in comms, and you know the last 1-2 gens are going to pop, don't pop them. This will make me think I have more time then I do and is a very good strategy to give yourself some breathing room. Save then pop the gens. I'm not gonna be camping if I think I have 4 gens remaining and I can defend a couple.

I think this is about it, what makes you tunnel more or less?

TLDR:

1. Don't take BT hit
  2. Don't bring map offerings
  3. Stay away from the 3 gen
  4. Don't activate endgame too quickly
Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,211

Eh... 2 is a bit iffy. Survivors run map offerings because they think the killer is going to sweat anyway and they want a better shot at winning. This is like saying "dont run meta perks or bring items".

1, 3 and 4 are correct though.

• StickyB

Yh, 2 was more of a personal thing, I guess I probably should've mentioned it as even when I put it I found it hard to articulate what I meant by it. Cos I defo think that anyone should always bring their strongest things if they're playing to win but that they also shouldn't complain when the other side does it and was hoping that this post could maybe bring some insight on how survivors could reduce the pain of being tunelled

• StickyB

They can certainly reduce the amount they get tunnelled as I can guarantee not every killer has made up their mind at 5 gens. All I'm trying to do is give survivors a few ways to make it less likely.

• DyingWish92
    DyingWish92 Member Posts: 772
    edited January 2023

I don't start tunneling or camping until 2 or less gens are left and no one's dead. If any survivors give you crap for this they are literally just expecting you to let them win easy.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

I play for fun and not necessarily to win, so any tunnel in my games is accidental.

But it happens.

It happens because I play Hag and don't control who's walking all over my traps ! So if it happens to be the last unhooked, well. It's very time consuming replacing traps and I can't afford to let a survivor go.

It also happens as I play Legion, when my 5th chain hit happens to be the last unhooked. I'm not wasting a 5 hit chain if I get one !

• NewPlayer100102
    NewPlayer100102 Member Posts: 515

Someone used auto deadhard and I tunneled. Hook camped as well!

Just in case anyone was wondering.

• NewPlayer100102

Clearly.

Its a skill issue, I normally stand there and stare at them for long periods. Waiting on the DH.

This time I got excited and swung.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Statistically, it's probably not auto-DH.

Some people really are just that cracked. Likewise, some people really are just that lucky, unfortunately for us.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

There are some pretty clear things you can do to flush them out.

If i swing at a pallet and the person on the other side dead hards there is no real denying it anymore

I tend to give the benifit of the doubt to avoid seeing hackers everywhere but auto dead hard is the one subtle hack where you can be pretty certain about

• NewPlayer100102

It was auto deadhard, thanks.

I checked him twice.

I will not be bothered to record this stuff for BHVR, or anyone. Myself and the person next to me, were taken aback by the odd timing of the first DH, and completely convinced by the second.

It happens. This game has cheaters. Its on the developer to purge that.

In this case the clown got tunneled, screwed his team and an early out.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Killers chase survivors at 5 gens and survivors do generators at 0 hooks or even 0 hits.

I seriously think the "at 5 gens" narrative is disengenious because survivors do the same all the time.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I'm aware.

It just sounds like mega copium most of the time.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

Yesterday I had game where the first 3 Survivors were hooked each once and never got tunneled. Then the Killer hooked me and made sure to delete me from that match ASAP. I didn't provoke or did anything rude in the match.

Tunneling is just up to Killers to decide whenever they feel like it or need it. There are no rules. You can be even toxic towards the Killer and he might not even seek a revenge. You might be the most kind Survivor ever and got tunneled 3 games in row.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,291

I got tunnelled once for playing swiffer with an iri map and key.

Except I was playing solo with a dumpster diver build and plucked those items out of chests over the course of the trial. And the key was broken, too.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

I just run Lightweight + Off the Record now. You can try to tunnel me sure but I'm going to make so hard you have to throw the game in the process.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,673

These two objectives don't even function the same to be equivalent.

Among other things, survivors can't "kick a hook" and regress a hook state back to zero for a survivor who isn't dead.

So you're arguing that all gens should be permanently locked in when they hit 33% and 66%, so they can never regress below that value again. Because that's how hook states work.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

To be fair, I understand the tunneling because of a Key. At least back then, when they were strong and made it able for multiple Survivors to escape. Nobody wants to risk having 3 Survivors left with 1 Gen to go and see them all escape through the Hatch.

Main reason why broken Keys should be just left in the chest.

• Seraphor
    edited January 2023

Escaping chase, and/or recovering health states before a survivor is hooked, would be an equivalent to regression a gen.

Think about it, a hook for the killer means getting through at least two health states, and then putting that survivor on a hook. If a killer loses a survivor and they heal back up, or they're denied the hook, that's their objective going backwards.

Every time a survivor who is unhooked heals back up, that's also technically the killers objective going backwards. Hell a survivor getting unhooked at all is the objective going backwards if you're only counting kills instead of individual hook actions.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,673
    edited January 2023

Generally, I agree with you. A hook stage is more similar to a gen at 100%. Locked in, can't be undone, but until that point there's some back and forth that can occur. Maybe you block progress (sabo/deadlock/eruption), maybe you regress it a bit (heals/kicks), there are options available. But that's not the argument I'm responding to.

The argument specifically claims that a gen at 33% is identical to one hook stage. That is completely false because of regression. Once that hook stage is locked in, there's no going back. That doesn't occur for gens until 100%.

Using our analogy, leaving a gen at 33% is more like a hit and run playstyle to injure everyone. You might get extra pressure doing so, but most likely all that work is going to be completely undone. And you really shouldn't be surprised that your effort is set back.

Edit for clarity.

• Seraphor
    edited January 2023

Yeah, you're not wrong. Mechanically you've hit the nail on the head, but the whole picture isn't that straightforward.

In terms of equivalent value, killers need to get through 4 kills, which can mean 12 hooks or as many as 24 to 36 health states. When compared to gens, of which survivors need 5, you can see how 4 kills = 5 gens can be made as a comparison. So if you consider a kill = a gen, then a hook state would be equivalent to something less than one entire gen. Camping a survivor out from first hook to death is possible, and could be compared to repairing a gen from 0 to 100%.

You can't say that 1 hook = 33% of a gen, but you equally can't say that 1 hook = 1 completed gen either. The reality is something in-between, or a bit of both.

• Dogma_loki
    Dogma_loki Member Posts: 436

Well thanks for pointing out the fact that survivors should just play how they want too. How is anyone supposed to know the "Official Killer trigger rules" for each individual killer? The fact is people do it because its easy and effective. Lets just leave it there.

• StickyB

There are no official rules, but the things I'm trying to point out are things I see survivors do often which result in them getting tunnelled. Some people prioritise getting a killer then pressuring gens and they find that easier, yes. But if people stop taking the hit with BT, or people don't run towards the gens after being unhooked the likely hood of them getting tunnelled will go down even if it's a very small amount.

• StickyB

I think it's satire, but you can never be too sure. Else yes, they do just seem to tunnel no matter what

• StickyB

I used to play a lot of hag (back in 2018) and yh, trying to not tunnel someone out was purely RNG.

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,618

recently yes, i was always forced to play in that way for a reason or another, but yesterday i can safely say that for the 1st time after months of unfun matches due to the limitation of my gameplay i finally found 3 matches that were chill all made with meme perks/addons, also the last one that i did was WHOLESOME (why matches can' be all like that?)

• Blizwise
    Blizwise Member Posts: 69

If killers can’t tunnel that should mean multiply gens shouldn’t be able to be worked on at once lol.

tunnelling sucks but so does gen rushing..

survivors job is get gens done..

kilkers job is to hook/kill survivors…

so you can kinda see how silly it is to stop a killer from hooking while survivors would have zero nerf to gens.

P.S tunneling sucks

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464

Tunneling is not a issue

• healsoflove718
    healsoflove718 Member Posts: 81

As a survivor main, keep tunneling/camping, that's how we got buffed in the first place.. hopefully, killers will continue to do it so we can get buffed again. BRAVO!

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    1. Yup. This is asking to be tunneled. But you're also telling me you have DS.
    2. Yeah, it's a little bit entitled.
    3. Eh.
    4. Also eh.

Here's the thing about tunneling and camping.

It's like eating a puppy.

If you're starving, only a puritan would tell you not to. But if you walk into a restaurant and the first thing you do is ask for the puppy menu, then that's a you problem.

The trick is that, after you face a strong SWF, you start going into every game expecting one.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I wished survivors' hook stage can be dropped to 0 when I got 2 hooks

Just like how a 99 progressing Gen can be dropped to 0.

Now where is the equal?

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438

The main thing with tunneling is that survivors often make it the most viable way of playing. Here is scenario i got into once that describes basically exactly what happens when i "tunnel" and why i chose to do so and why it was the most effective thing for me to do at the time.

I was playing autohaven one time and hooked a survivor on a hook in the corner of the map in a dead zone. Then turned around and saw another survivor in the distance. This survivor immediately started running away toward a part of the map that had no generators. I started chasing them, before the hooked survivor was out of my terror radius they were unhooked.

Now. i took a split second to look at the landscape. The guy i was chasing after was healthy, and hadn't been hooked yet. He was running to a part of the map with no generators left, and he was running to the fun bus with the god window to the right. To our left, was an LT wall and a generator that was still up (2 gens left). I decided to turn around and see what the unhooked survivor was doing. And i see that they are being healed under the hook in that deadzone. So obviously i turned around and went after them, hit them quickly and they DCed before i could hook them. At that point the game was basically over and i ended up winning. Then at the end game screen the survivor who ran to the fun bus talked about how i'm a "trash tunneler"

The reality is though, those survivors caused me to tunnel because at that point, tunneling was the most effective thing for me to do in that moment.

• The unhooked survivor was still in range of my terror radius
    • They were injured
    • They had no anti-tunnel perks
    • They were in a deadzone
    • They were being healed right under the hook.
    • The other option for me to chase was running to the strongest structure on the entire map where there were no generators left

Had the unhooked waited an extra 5 seconds, and the second survivor i started chasing ran to the LT wall near the generator instead of the fun bus, i probably would have kept chasing them instead. They could have run to the LT wall, mindgamed, maybe won, or maybe got hit, then ran to the fun bus to extend the chase. By then the hooked survivor would have been healed and it would have been the bad play to try and go tunnel.

• NewPlayer100102

I just tunneled and face camped someone who kept trying to flashlight me, inspite of obvious lightborn.

After that everyone else got to leave, Its not their fault someone they play with is being an ass.

I guess, being annoying will get you tunneled. No matter what a SWF thinks is good play, if it is generally annoying to the other side expect to be tunneled.

Seems like the usual PvP stuff.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Even if survivors play 'nice', there's nothing stopping a killer from tunnelling.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,453

How to reduce Tunnelling (From a Killers perspective): Dance, monkey, dance!

• FMG15
    FMG15 Member Posts: 456

From the developers position there is realistically only one way to stop at least more people from tunneling. More BP incentives if you play fair. Anything proper changes other than that would change the gameplay loop and would take a long time to develop and BHVR would not do that