Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Unofficial Linux Support Thread

Options
2»

Answers

• Alakad
    Alakad Member Posts: 30
    Options

Just to be sure nothing is going weird with your setup, I would recommend deleting the folder in your DeadByDaylight folder in your Prefixes directory and then in Heroic Wine Manager uninstall all installed versions, then install the newest version of PROTON-GE which is currently Proton-GE-Proton7-55 as I'm writing this. Make sure Dead By Daylight is using that version of Proton, and make sure you run Force Game Update If Available and also Verify And Repair before launching the game. It should install Easy Anti Cheat and then launch the game and you should be able to get into the main menu. From there try playing a bot game to see that everything works correctly.

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 457
    Options

Sadly, it still doesn't work. But here's a question: Where exactly do you launch the game from? I've tried researching elsewhere on my own, and saw suggestions that you don't launch the game from the Heroic Games Launch, that you're supposed to add Heroic to Steam as a non-Steam game and then launch Heroic from Gaming Mode. (This doesn't work for me either, as I just get an infinite loading screen when I try to launch Heroic from Steam Deck gaming mode.)

And here's something interesting. Just for giggles I tried launching DBD in my Steam, and I can actually get into the menus and play a tutorial match, but I can't get into a public match. I just get immediately DC'd after the offerings are shown. I don't suppose there's a way around that, is there? I've tried forcing the compatibilty layer and selecting Proton-GE-Proton7-55, but to no avail.

• omano
    omano Member Posts: 66
    Options

I launch from Heroic directly, and as I said the only thing to do on my side is to enable EAC Runtime in Heroic for DBD, and create the symbolic link.

I would suggest you find reliable and competent people you can trust, and have them look at your setup and try to fix it for you with a program like RustDesk (do not let people you do not trust connect to your system though, be careful).

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options

just FYI, DbD has been working the past few days on Steam just fine. how long it will last I don't know, but figured I should let you know just in case.

• omano
    Options

Any relevant log to show that it is working? I have doubts it works, sometimes EAC doesn't just work.

• nikodemo
    edited May 2023
    Options

me? myself and others have been playing a ton the past few days with no issues.

look at me. i'm the log now.

edit check the latest posts in the Steam Deck thread:

https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3416491#Comment_3416491

• omano
    Options

It can work temporarily, because EAC doesn't work. That's why I'm asking for relevant EAC log showing it works. I'm working with Proton since it was created, I have lot of experience with EAC games under Proton, and I have a lot of experience with people claiming things without verifying what they say. Checking logs is simple and will confirm all is in order and it is not just a fluke, as it has been a lot on many game under Proton where people say "it's working now" but it was just a temporary EAC issue.

• nikodemo
    Options

you do whatever makes you happy. the point is, the game is playable for ppl who want to play it.

• omano
    Options

It's not about doing things to make me happy, it is about confirming what is going on... but write whatever makes you happy I guess...

We'll see ;)

• nikodemo
    Options

it is, though.

@CrypticGirl just wants to play DbD. she's having a tough time getting Heroic working. well, for right now at least, she could be playing on Steam. who knows what tomorrow will bring. maybe BHVR blocks it again.

but right now, she could play. that was the point. for whatever else you want, go check yourself then.

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 457
    Options

It's kind of pointless now. I was hoping to be able to play it while I was on vacation, but never did get it to work. Now I'm back home at my PC. Sadly I don't know anyone I'd trust well enough to do the RustDesk thing...

• DigitalBaguette
    DigitalBaguette Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2023
    Options

Post edited by DigitalBaguette on
  • omano
    Options
  • jde
    jde Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2023
    Options

Quick question

Anyone else playing on steamdeck unable to chat in the ingame chat box?

I'm playing in desktop mode and I click chat and hit steam button + x to open the keyboard but nothing pops up. And the keyboard even works in desktop mode when I'm not trying to chat on DBD

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

• Brabulla
    Brabulla Member Posts: 1
    Options

Did anyone encounter problems running the Epic Games version using Heroic on the Steam Deck?

I've done countless reinstalls, and different proton versions, with EAC enabled in the settings, and disabled, tried copying the EasyAntiCheat folder like the old solution, but nothing seems to work.

I either get an error for EAC client cannot be instantiated, or "Could not locate game executable entry in the catalogue. (DeadByDaylight-EGS-Shipping.exe)

Or is there a currently working guide for the Epic version on Steam Deck? Thanks in advance

• bionux
    bionux Member Posts: 3
    Options

yes, I use manjaro linux pc , I also have this question. But i first use lutris launch epic game stores, then start dbd

• _ManlyMaid
    _ManlyMaid Member Posts: 5
    Options

Fantastic. First epic works - then they get steam to work - no epic doesn't work anymore.

I'm not gonna pay twice. I'm done with this game since they don't care about fixing the epic version

• Vithar
    Vithar Member Posts: 28
    Options

Is there any new way to run Epic Games version, or is it dead for Linux as it was after making Steam one working OotB?

• pokipo
    pokipo Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi there,

I've tried this as of today, and unfortunatelly it's not working for me. I'm wondering if it still does for you?

I am on a Steam Deck, SteamOS 3.5.7, Heroic 2.13.0, I tried Wine-GE-latest and Wine-GE-Proton7-43.

After following the instructions, I get the EAC splash screen the game starts up, until the point where it asks you to press the Space Bar to continue, then it says EAC can not be instantiated.

I tried repairing the game files, twice, with a restart of heroic as well. I did attach the log from Heroic, interesting part is probably

GameFlow: Error: [UClientStartupInitializer::InitComplete] Init failed at StartEAC with error FailedEAC. Initialization steps will restart (restart count: 1)

GameFlow: Error: [UStartupInitializer::SetLoadProgress] Progress completed: Complete, success: False, startTime: 2024-02-24T11:11:18.083Z, endTime: 2024-02-24T11:11:18.083Z, progress complete in 0.000000 seconds

GUI: Warning: Popup Sequencer: Error popup requested (not displayed yet): Title="QUIT GAME" Message="EAC client cannot be instantiated." Priority=0

GUI: Warning: Popup Sequencer: Error popup displayed: Title="QUIT GAME" Message="EAC client cannot be instantiated." Priority=0

LogOnline: Warning: Exited SplashContextComponent::OnActionFail Splash screen error: 11 Error Code: 0

Any ideas? Many Thanks