If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Would you interact with a “Guillotine Vault” in a Loop?

Options
AssortedSorting
AssortedSorting Member Posts: 954
edited January 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

The concept is this:

It’s part of a solid Long Loop Wall that can be “raised” by a Survivor out of chase to create a Vault Window.

(Imagine a kind of hatch-like window that a survivor props open with a nearby support)

This can then be Vaulted by both Killer and Survivor.

Killers can choose to Destroy the Vault by breaking the support instead of Vaulting it, causing it to close permanently, leaving the Long Wall as it was before.

And a valid Long Wall would not always be guaranteed to have a functioning “Guillotine Vault”, likely dependent on what other nearby chase objects have spawned (other Vaults/Pallets)

Would this be something that you think could add beneficial variety to existing Loops, or not?

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

Killers don't really do interaction choices. This seems kind of bad from that front.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,857
    edited January 2023
    Options

I wouldn't mind this providing it took survivors time to lift up (say 6+ seconds) so it has to be done prematurely and serve as innate slowdown, while killer can close them off in -2 seconds, like snuffing a boon, or even by hitting the prop like Dredges locks.

• Hermit
    Hermit Member Posts: 380
    Options

Generally speaking, yes, more map probs that can be interacted with or just affect the characters would be nice.

Like muddy soil which slows people down, thickets you can get stuck in, rotten floors in houses that might break, working surveillence cameras on the game etc. Characters can be affected differently depening on killer and perks.

BUT... getting this balanced... 🤣

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,204
    Options

A neat and original idea, I kinda like it. It's a bit like a breakable wall, but vaultable. The only concerns really are how it gets permanently destroyed and the set up time.

It'd have to take something like 6-8 seconds to set up so it can't be done easily in chase (or done for you in chase).

It probably shouldn't take much to destroy, like dredge breaking a lock. Although the hit box would have to not suck, which seems to be a challenge for other mechanics like this (looking at you, boon totem). I'd also say if the entity would block the vault for any reason, including bamboozle or crowd control, the vault is automatically destroyed instead.

• AssortedSorting
    Options

For the Killer in essence it's akin to a choice like a Pallet, but a bit less restrictive for Killer movement by allowing the Killer to Vault it as well.

It's a non-loop-able Wall Section until a Survivor makes the Choice to turn it into a Vault, and if that Vault turns out to be problematic, the Killer can Break it back to being a Wall (That can't be reset)

But if they don't care or their Power/Perks circumvent or benefit from it, they can leave it. Generally speaking you could just always slap it when you see it. Just that it won't always be up at the start of the match given it's up to Survivors to set it up in the first place. (If it's even there).

• RainehDaze
    edited January 2023
    Options

No, I mean it mean Killers now need extra button assigned to making a choice with a prop, which would normally be reserved for their power button. That's not great; it starts to make the control scheme overly complicated (and it means that the usual break/vault both being on the same key isn't true any more).

Or we enter silly "swing at map elements" land again.

Not to mention, uh, this is still just a pallet. Without the stun.

• mr_Beast_Artist
    mr_Beast_Artist Member Posts: 327
    Options

You just need to let the survivors open the doors that the killer breaks and this will just solve the issue with when the killer corners and waits for the collapse, just about the passages that the killer never breaks like doors on the school map from the game silent hill. I will even say so! I saw that there is a passage when I played as an assassin and broke the door for interest and found out that there are more passages from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor. It was still on the release of this map ahahah how many years have passed and the problem has not yet been solved with the validation of doors and their randomness

• AssortedSorting
    Options

Hmm, could just make it so that when the Killer Vaults it, it will Break it. Would keep the controls the same. But then it would mean the Killer would need to commit to going to the other side of a now unusuable Vault and have to backtrack if they wanted to close it in the first place. Could be an interesting incentive to not Break it immediately if they stumble across it but...

Could do tap to Break, hold to Vault (evocative of easy to destroy, harder to not)

I'd rather not take advantage of the button mapping Dead Hard uses.

And while it may be silly, a Basic Attack to Break is thematically appropriate while being able to use another Button without functionality loss.

And yeah, while the decision to break it or not is the same as pallet (is it inconvenient or not, it usually is), it is a bit different in that it's enabling mobility for both sides instead of just blocking mobility for one side.

Ah yeah, Breakable Walls. Those are still a bit weird. It would be interesting if Survivors were able to open them.

• RainehDaze
    Options

It's not enabling mobility, there's basically no reason a Killer would ever not break it. You'd need to stack like three perks to have a fast enough vault to care. Breaking is always the better choice.

And no, Survivors opening breakable walls is a terrible idea. Some areas are only playable whilst they remain walls (I think Badham), and it completely messes with the logic of how The Game is meant to work (now there'd be no more dead ends before gens are done, which super screws the balance).

• AssortedSorting
    Options

I’d say being offered a choice but never taking it hits a bit differently, but it is splitting hairs in this context.

Regarding doors I was more thinking how it might be implemented as some kind of directional pallet (though the more I think about it the more it just becomes a complicated pallet with just offset stun and interact zones)

• mr_Beast_Artist
    Options

Then let the developers make a wall there!

The problem of level design is not solved by closed doors that cannot be broken/interacted by only one side

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437
    Options

This was one of the core elements of one of the DBD clones that had a bit of "hacking". I think it had gold in the title. So while this is a creative idea it is not exactly "new".

Survivors could open bottom wall segments to create a slide effect and killers could close them or remove both wall sections.

• AssortedSorting
    Options

Did the Survivors in that game end up just making the opening whenever they came across them like Breakable Walls, or did any strategy come about where they'd wait till later in the match to open that route?

• DBDVulture
    Options

Game was pretty goofy overall and it had some near genuine infinites so there was rarely a need to fool with the walls.

• AssortedSorting
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hmm, yeah, looked it up: "Gold Express".

Though I think I see what you're talking about, The top section being present without the bottom section allows the Survivor to slide under but not let the Killer pass through it.

That's more akin to a Dropped Pallet than what I'm suggesting with this "Guillotine Vault".

This suggestion would be more akin to an Extractor seeing a Double-tier wall on match start in "Golden Express" and then removing the Top Section so they can use the Vault (With the theme of opening something rather than removing something). And then the Killer can choose to Block that Section again permanently (with the theme of destroying something).

• mr_Beast_Artist
    Options

are you talking about "Propnight"? There are some cool ideas like if the survivor jumps on top of the killer then the killer is stunned.

But I want more interactivity and interaction with the environment playing as survivors in DBD. At the moment, you don’t really believe in this world because it’s plasticine, God, we can’t even jump in this game even though it’s already 2023.

• DBDVulture
    Options

I don't think propnight has anything to offer DBD.

An imposter item killer would be hilarious but it wouldn't work because SWF exists.

• mr_Beast_Artist
    Options

The players can jump there.

And so there is a great idea about stunning the killer every time falling from a height