Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Could we get an offical respond to unlocking fps?

I would really like to have an offical response regarding if unlocking your fps is bannable or not?

Because I really would like to unlock them but dont want to risk getting banned.

If its bannable or only a tolerated option can you just give us the option to unlock it ingame BHVR?

@Peanits
@not_Queen

Comments

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523
    Editing any files risks triggering the anti-cheat, and if that happens, we wouldn't be able to help you. More than likely, it would just tell you that something was modified and refuse to start if anything. We would not actively hunt you down and ban you for doing so, though.

It's use at your own risk, unfortunately I can't give a more specific answer than that. Nobody has been banned for unlocking their framerate so far.
  • DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    Peanits said:
    Editing any files risks triggering the anti-cheat, and if that happens, we wouldn't be able to help you. More than likely, it would just tell you that something was modified and refuse to start if anything. We would not actively hunt you down and ban you for doing so, though.

It's use at your own risk, unfortunately I can't give a more specific answer than that. Nobody has been banned for unlocking their framerate so far.
    Why not beeing precise? Unlocking fps is done in gameusersettings.ini and this file gets edited constantly while u change anything in the settings of the game. Yeah, even if u read the News some numbers get changed. 
    The answer is defiantly NO! Unlocking fps over gameusersettings.ini will 100% won't get u banned. 
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@DwightsLifeMatters said:
    Why not beeing precise? Unlocking fps is done in gameusersettings.ini and this file gets edited constantly while u change anything in the settings of the game. Yeah, even if u read the News some numbers get changed. 
    The answer is defiantly NO! Unlocking fps over gameusersettings.ini will 100% won't get u banned. 

Your save file is also edited while you play the game. Does that mean it's OK to edit your save file?

• Crythor
    Crythor Member Posts: 296

Why not just give an ingame option to do it? Its not much work and wont hurt consoles as they dont have to check it.
    Could you please check with the devs if they could just add such an option? @not_Queen

• DwightsLifeMatters
    Orion said:

Your save file is also edited while you play the game. Does that mean it's OK to edit your save file?

bad example cuz editing save files is cheating, while changing the resolution, mouse sensitivity over 100% isn't. U tried to sound smart but u aren't bud
  • Orion
    edited December 2018

bad example cuz editing save files is cheating, while changing the resolution, mouse sensitivity over 100% isn't. U tried to sound smart but u aren't bud

It's the same logic you used, it's not my fault you made a bad argument.
    Editing game files is done at your own risk, period. Don't try to pretend you have more of a say in it than the devs.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

The devs have via a moderator said that editing files is done at your own risk so if you want to take that risk it's your choice. But you shouldn't go telling someone it's ok to do so unless you're willing to compensate them if they get banned.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    edited December 2018
    Orion said:

It's the same logic you used, it's not my fault you made a bad argument.
    Editing game files is done at your own risk, period. Don't try to pretend you have more of a say in it than the devs.

No, u tried to use the same logic but on a whole different topic. Doesn't work like that.
    Also, gameusersettings.ini isnt actually a real game file, it's in a whole different directory than all the other gamefiles. U probably didn't even know that unlocking fps was done in engine.ini (much "riskier" file to edit, but still not a single record of someone getting banned from that) before the devs changed the way how this file works and it's done in gameusersettings.ini now. But yeah, keep being a smartass while u don't know #########
  • Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

I've edited the config file in every game I've ever played, and it won't get you banned. It shouldn't even be possible for it to trigger any kind of anti-cheat, as you should not typically have access to any features you can adjust that would.

For starters, what's generated is almost always options you're supposed to have accessible via the in-game UI. You can go much further and edit things client-side, such as with the Source Engine (oh lord what you can do with that engine!), but anything that's supposed to have a game-breaking impact is supposed to be disabled--even if you modified these parameters the server is not supposed to recognize or accept them.

• Orion

No, u tried to use the same logic but on a whole different topic. Doesn't work like that.
    Also, gameusersettings.ini isnt actually a real game file, it's in a whole different directory than all the other gamefiles. U probably didn't even know that unlocking fps was done in engine.ini (much "riskier" file to edit, but still not a single record of someone getting banned from that) before the devs changed the way how this file works and it's done in gameusersettings.ini now. But yeah, keep being smartass while u don't know #########

It's the same logic - files are edited by what you do in-game. Hell, most files are probably edited by the game each time you play; that does not mean that you, the user, aren't breaking the rules if you edit them manually.
    Also, I know how it works. I unlocked my FPS way back when the game was first released, among other changes, to get better quality. This was back before the days of "change files at your own risk". Nowadays, the only correct answer to this question is "change files at your own risk", and you are spreading false information if you claim otherwise.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    powerbats said:

The devs have via a moderator said that editing files is done at your own risk so if you want to take that risk it's your choice. But you shouldn't go telling someone it's ok to do so unless you're willing to compensate them if they get banned.

Can u remind me how to disable V-Sync again? Exactly, the only way is by editing gameusersettings.ini 
    Some seem not to get how this file works. This file gets written and read on the fly by just changing the resolution ingame, changing mouse sensitivity etc.
    U can even disable that this file gets written by windows so u have always the same settings after a restart.
    On top of that, if u delete this file and let steam verify ur files it doesn't redownload it. In fact, this file get created by the first bootup of DbD, which just confirms that this file isn't important for EAC. But whatever, people will keep trashtalking just for the sake of arguing. 
    At the end it's ur decision OP, either go by logic or go by what people without knowledge keep talking 
  • DwightsLifeMatters
    Orion said:

Also, gameusersettings.ini isnt actually a real game file, it's in a whole different directory than all the other gamefiles. U probably didn't even know that unlocking fps was done in engine.ini (much "riskier" file to edit, but still not a single record of someone getting banned from that) before the devs changed the way how this file works and it's done in gameusersettings.ini now. But yeah, keep being smartass while u don't know #########

It's the same logic - files are edited by what you do in-game. Hell, most files are probably edited by the game each time you play; that does not mean that you, the user, aren't breaking the rules if you edit them manually.
    Also, I know how it works. I unlocked my FPS way back when the game was first released, among other changes, to get better quality. This was back before the days of "change files at your own risk". Nowadays, the only correct answer to this question is "change files at your own risk", and you are spreading false information if you claim otherwise.

U know what, I'm not arguing with a smartass who sees unlocking fps and editing save files the same. Stay a smartass, good luck 
  • RinWaifu
    RinWaifu Member Posts: 41

No, is not bannable, i edit my GameUserSettings.ini and Engine.ini to use custom resolutions and smooth framerate and never got banned in 2 years of doing this, also i send a message to EAC support asking about Custom User Interface and they said as long is don't give you unfair advantage EAC won't proc, so we can say that EAC just protected the files that contain expecific game files, i don't know why the Devs are being such a pussy about a small problem, they just should put graphic options in game so no one would ever need to change .ini files.

• powerbats

powerbats said:

Can u remind me how to disable V-Sync again? Exactly, the only way is by editing gameusersettings.ini 
    Some seem not to get how this file works. This file gets written and read on the fly by just changing the resolution ingame, changing mouse sensitivity etc.
    U can even disable that this file gets written by windows so u have always the same settings after a restart.
    On top of that, if u delete this file and let steam verify ur files it doesn't redownload it. In fact, this file get created by the first bootup of DbD, which just confirms that this file isn't important for EAC. But whatever, people will keep trashtalking just for the sake of arguing. 
    At the end it's ur decision OP, either go by logic or go by what people without knowledge keep talking 

My computer has settings, my video card has settings, I can use my video card external software suites settings, and my monitor has settings. So apparently the only way isn't by editing the in game files.

So what you're doing is telling people that despite what the devs have said they can trust you a non dev about editing game files. You still haven't agreed to compensate each and every person who takes your advice however if they get banned.

If you're so knowledgeable making statements for a company you don't work for nor code for and don't know how EAC does things. You can't say that you know nothing will happen if you don't work for either company.

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

In the end, any time you edit a game file, you are taking a risk. While there has been no previous examples of someone getting banned for it, there is still a chance you can be the first. If you do edit it, and you get banned, BVHR cannot assist. So the choice is yours if you feel it is worth the risk or not, with all the information provided to you from all sides.

• FreshlyBakedInCanada
    FreshlyBakedInCanada Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2018

@powerbats said:

powerbats said:

My computer has settings, my video card has settings, I can use my video card external software suites settings, and my monitor has settings. So apparently the only way isn't by editing the in game files.

So what you're doing is telling people that despite what the devs have said they can trust you a non dev about editing game files. You still haven't agreed to compensate each and every person who takes your advice however if they get banned.

If you're so knowledgeable making statements for a company you don't work for nor code for and don't know how EAC does things. You can't say that you know nothing will happen if you don't work for either company.

Yeah, none of those things will turn off vsync if it is set to true and/or FrameRateLimit is set to =0 in the .ini

If you want it off then you MUST edit GameUserSettings.ini manually and set it to false as well as set a frameratelimit to a number other than 0.

Period.

• powerbats

@FreshlyBakedInCanada said:

Yeah, none of those things will turn off vsync if it is set to true and/or FrameRateLimit is set to =0 in the .ini

If you want it off then you MUST edit GameUserSettings.ini manually and set it to false as well as set a frameratelimit to a number other than 0.

Period.

Actually that's incorrect since some software suites will override in game ini settings for video. I do it all the time for my games with my Nvidia stuff.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

How about GRAPHIC SETTINGS in general?

• Crythor

@powerbats said:

Period.

Actually that's incorrect since some software suites will override in game ini settings for video. I do it all the time for my games with my Nvidia stuff.

Have you tried to overwrite the fps lock in dbd with nvidea settings? Does it work? Do you have more then 62 fps then without changing files?

• powerbats

@Crythor said:

@powerbats said:

Period.

Have you tried to overwrite the fps lock in dbd with nvidea settings? Does it work? Do you have more then 62 fps then without changing files?

I've never tried going over the 60 fps due to my video card being older DBD wise but for other games i've done it before with no issues.

• Crythor

@EntityDispleased said:
    powerbats said:

@Crythor said:

@powerbats said:

Period.

I've never tried going over the 60 fps due to my video card being older DBD wise but for other games i've done it before with no issues.

You can't turn off vsync through the gpu's control panel. And even if it does turn off vsync you won't be getting anymore fps than 62 because there's a frame rate limit in the gameusersettings. I've tried that before editing anything and it didn't work.

You are right it dosent work. I tried it.

• Gay Myers (Luzi)
    Gay Myers (Luzi) Member Posts: 4,427

Peanits said:

Because EAC may change their settings at any time and you may get banned next week, as an example.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    edited December 2018
    powerbats said:

@powerbats said:

Period.

With other games sure but not DbD.

Well hopefully with the new engine updates that'll change so that those that want to have higher fps can. But I can also see why it's capped to make it so there's not a have's and have not's discrepancy based upon hardware.

I mean, we are hitting 2019 soon, the game is nearly 3 years out and we still have not a real fullscreen mode. If u ask me, the hope is pretty low.
    Post edited by DwightsLifeMatters on
  • powerbats

I mean, we are hitting 2019 soon, the game is nearly 3 years out and we still have a real fullscreen mode. If u ask me, the hope is pretty low.

Don't forget they just had bought the right to the rights to the game back and now we have a development roadmap There's now a store that even consoles can use, consoles are getting better optimization and bans will be able to be issued for them soon as well.

You've got maps tweaked, killers buffed and tweaked, Freddy full rework coming, we've already had full Wraith and Hag rework. The secondary objective test was pretty interesting and now there's a new engine running the whole show and every looks much nicer.

Within the next 6 months or so we'll hopefully have the long awaited dedicated servers up and running along with another new map and killer.

That's probably on their agenda but other things might have priority but they've also said they'll be doing smaller updates but much more often.

• dannyfrog87
    dannyfrog87 Member Posts: 568

@Crythor said:
    I would really like to have an offical response regarding if unlocking your fps is bannable or not?

Because I really would like to unlock them but dont want to risk getting banned.

If its bannable or only a tolerated option can you just give us the option to unlock it ingame BHVR?

@Peanits
    @not_Queen

no. its only changing the text file fps. ive been doing it for ages uncapped fps! its not actually modifying a file just changing its default value. dont mess with any other actual file you will be good

• Orion

@dannyfrog87 said:

@Crythor said:

@Peanits
    @not_Queen

no. its only changing the text file fps. ive been doing it for ages uncapped fps! its not actually modifying a file just changing its default value. dont mess with any other actual file you will be good

"its only changing the text file fps"
    "its not actually modifying a file"
    I mean, at least be consistent.

@Crythor, I'm just going to point out that @Peanits is an actual, bona fide mod. He handles reports and hands out bans. He's an official, if you will. One of the requirements of his job is that he needs to be informed about what is and isn't bannable. So if he says it's "use at your own risk", then it's "use at your own risk". The devs will not unban you if EAC gets twitchy over the changes you made to the game files.
    So ask yourself, is it really worth it to ignore the people who actually know what they're talking about in favor of a slightly higher framerate if it comes with the risk of a permanent and irrevocable ban? Or is it better to just tough it out and wait for better optimization? I know what I'd pick.

• Crythor

@Orion said:

@dannyfrog87 said:

@Crythor said:

@Peanits
    @not_Queen

"its only changing the text file fps"
    "its not actually modifying a file"
    I mean, at least be consistent.

@Crythor, I'm just going to point out that @Peanits is an actual, bona fide mod. He handles reports and hands out bans. He's an official, if you will. One of the requirements of his job is that he needs to be informed about what is and isn't bannable. So if he says it's "use at your own risk", then it's "use at your own risk". The devs will not unban you if EAC gets twitchy over the changes you made to the game files.
    So ask yourself, is it really worth it to ignore the people who actually know what they're talking about in favor of a slightly higher framerate if it comes with the risk of a permanent and irrevocable ban? Or is it better to just tough it out and wait for better optimization? I know what I'd pick.

Thx for clearing up Peanits position. Also thx to all others who gave usefull advice.

This discussion has been closed.