What's everyone's opinion on offerings?

Options

A curious question for you guys! I've seen discussions in the past where people were of the opinion that map offerings should be removed entirely - to which I fully agree - but I can't recall a conversation on offerings in general. Offerings are a nostalgic part of Dead by Daylight to me, but their actual utility is kind of questionable, I feel like. I'll give a quick breakdown of my opinions on different types of offerings:

Bloodpoint Offerings: Everyone loves a good Bloody Party Streamer, Escape Cake, or Survivor Pudding, but what about the others? The offerings that give anywhere from an additional 50% to 100% in a single category can mathematically give you more bloodpoints than what you spent on them in the bloodweb, but it can feel a bit too situational. Obviously, certain playstyles will automatically guarantee you a better chance of getting bloodpoints in a certain category, but it can be frustrating to burn an offering that gives you more points in objectives completed, but then you end up never touching a generator for rescuing teammates and being chased. But I feel like bloodpoint offerings are really only beneficial to newer players, since long time players probably have everything unlocked already. And unless new players are immediately good at the game, they're probably not going to get a lot of points in their early days until they learn the game better. 50% extra bloodpoints is great if you earned 10,000 in your category of choice, but if you only earned a low amount of points, it's likely the reward you got in the form of additional points doesn't even break even what you spent to get it in the bloodweb. For this reason, I feel like Bloody Party Streamers and its personal variants are the only real desirable bloodpoint offerings.

Event Offerings: These are one of the few types of offerings that I wholly enjoy seeing. Yeah, technically, many of them amount to "more bloodpoints," but these additional bloodpoints are often easier to reap the rewards of. So in my opinion, these offerings are fine.

Luck Offerings: A guilty pleasure of mine, though honestly, that might just be the nostalgia talking. As someone who finds it fun to run Up the Ante once in a blue moon just to reminisce on old days, I probably have more of a positive view on luck offerings than most, and even I cannot deny their limited utility. Their only real use is for an entire team to stack these offerings and all run Up the Ante and/or Slippery Meat. Considering that's one or two perks consumed for the sake of a niche benefit, I doubt a lot of people would ever want to do this. It can be a mild form of chaos or just downright confusing for a killer when an entire team of survivors just yeets themselves off their first hook, but for survivors to dedicate half of their perk slots for this one-use per person strategy, that probably ends up being more of an advantage for the killer, at the end of the day. As much as I like the concept of luck offerings and find it nostalgic, I don't really see the point of them in virtually all scenarios.

Map Modifications: These include basement location, hatch location, hooks, chests, and fog. I literally do not care where the hatch is as a survivor or a killer, I'll be honest, but maybe I'm in the minority there. Knowing the location of the basement right off the bat can be useful if it's a Bubba and you either want to rush a generator close to the basement as quickly as possible so you don't have to worry about it later, or you just want to ignore it entirely. It could also be decent for chest looting builds since there will always be a chest in the basement, so you don't have to run to one basement location only to realize of course it's in the spot you didn't check first. Aside from that, though, I don't see the appeal of it. Hook spawns feel like they shouldn't be something that can be manipulated, in my opinion. Some maps are terrible enough with hook spawns, either increasing or decreasing the amount of them just breaks certain maps further, I feel like. More chests are always nice, but most people just bring their own item with their own addons. Fog is a fun factor, though it might just be a personal preference. So out of all of these map modification offerings, I really only like one of them consistently.

Memento Mori Offerings: Moris are neat. It's fun to see different killers' styles of eliminating a player. But in terms of gameplay, I don't really see why they're even still in the game, to be honest. It's neat to see a mori unfold the first few times, but the magic definitely wears off. And considering that certain killers' moris are so long that it would honestly be quicker to just drag them to a hook, there really isn't much of a gameplay benefit, either. It could be useful in case a survivor was saving their Decisive Strike and you didn't want to risk picking them up, but nowadays, that's hardly the scary scenario it used to be. And honestly, any time I see an Ebony Mori in the bloodweb instead of a sweet ultra rare addon, I get more annoyed than excited about this ultra rare thing. So these could go entirely, in my mind.

Map Offerings: I feel like this has been discussed sufficiently, but I'll give a brief summary. Certain maps are better for certain roles. The ability to choose what map to go to is an advantage I feel like neither side should have. And similarly with the mori offerings, any time I see rare nodes in the bloodweb, I get excited about what item or addon it'll be... only to see that it's a map offering. These can be burned if you're suffering the same map over and over, but I feel like that's a map generation problem that should be fixed and not solved by map offerings. So these can go.

Shrouds: Does anyone even use these? It's made worse by the fact that the survivor shroud clumps all of the survivors together at the start of the game, which good luck if you're against a Legion with Lethal Pursuer. And the killer equivalent spreads survivors out. Basically doing the opposite of what you want for your role. The others can be okay, I don't really have a problem with those. But the ones that kind of shoot you in the foot for using them more often than not can go.

Wards: Eh, I almost never use them. I like the concept of keeping addons and/or an item that you really don't want to lose, but honestly, I'd kind of prefer just having more very rare items and addons in the bloodweb as opposed to these wards that keep you from losing them. I suppose as a survivor it can be useful to see a killer burning a ward offering, which is basically a red flag of, "Powerful addons incoming," but considering this can just make certain survivors more likely to disconnect at the slightest provocation, it's a double-edged sword.

TL;DR: Most offerings feel useless compared to the items or addons you can get in the bloodweb, which makes spending points on them and just having a bloodweb filled with a lot of offerings kind of disappointing. But that's just my take. What do you guys think? :)

Comments

• scenicpickle
    scenicpickle Member Posts: 265
    Options

i feel that lotta filler garbage i think offerings should def be changed but don't know how hopefully they get reworked in the future

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,548
    Options

BP offerings, Mori offerings, basement offerings, Coin offerings (the ones that influence the number of chests) and White Wards/Black Wards are fine as is.

Map offerings I would have less issue with if maps were more balanced. Over time though, I’ve started leaning more towards the opinion that the game probably would be better without them. The only thing I would care about would be some sort of exception for Mirror Myers because that’s literally unplayable without an indoor map and I wouldn’t want to see that go away.

Mist offerings are a total waste of BP and should either be replaced with something more useful, or removed and either refunded or converted to BP offerings.

Luck offerings should be expanded to affect chest loot as well, but other than that they are fine.

Hatch offerings shouldn’t exist for either side, it should be left up to chance every game.

The Shroud offerings are pretty pointless, the survivor offerings force you to start together which is bad for survivor and the killer offering spreads survivors out which is bad for the killer. Maybe they could be reversed to the opposite roles so they’re actually useful?

The Oak offerings (the ones that alter the hook spawns) are whatever. I never use them, I’m not really sure how useful they actually are. Couldn’t care less about them honestly.

• DrewCarn
    DrewCarn Member Posts: 12
    Options

I honestly think getting rid of offerings, or switching them out for something else might be the next big change if enough people care about it. I agree with you that there are a few that are fun to bring like event and moris but I also think BHVR could just find another way to work those into the game, like they tried with moris a few updates ago. They're just a bit outdated really 😕

• Witchubtet
    Witchubtet Member Posts: 640
    Options

Remember lighting offerings? Going to the Estate and being met with pitch blackness and a red moon?

• KMainEZ
    KMainEZ Member Posts: 129
    Options

I like wards, they are essentially 2 of any item for the price of one so i am pretty happy to grab those. I also like the party streamer/pudding/cake. Oak offerings are niche, but handy. Everything else is meh. I don't care about what map I'm playing on as generally speaking rng can make a good map hell anyway and Vice Versa so yea... They're kind of interesting but i suppose unnecessary really

• serpentk1ng
    serpentk1ng Member Posts: 18
    Options

Bloodpoint offerings are great. Always happy to see them, because they have no impact on how my game will go. Same thing with the wards.

The fog thickening stuff is pointless, and is a waste of bloodpoints. Same with the chests. The Shrouds are generally just detrimental to whichever side uses it, since they do what the opposing side really wants with the spawns.

Hatch offerings are completely fair, because they give the same effect to both sides without giving one side any real advantage, especially since half the games don't even get to the point where the hatch matters.

Luck offerings are fine, since they never reach the point of being a guaranteed kobe.

Mori's are going away whenever they release that final survivor thing.

Map offerings are genuinely annoying, and should be removed from the game once they add in the no repeat map protection. With the sheer imbalanced nature of the maps in the game, the randomness of which map you go to is the only kind of fairness in the map design. By letting either side control that, it makes the game unfair.

Oak offerings are one of the most subtle bits of unfairness, because they can function as essentially a 5th perk. By bringing the oak offerings, the maps are skewed more towards one side or the other, since closer hooks allow easier camping, and farther hooks cause killers to wind up with half of the map being hookless. While the effect barely registers half the time, the other times it really makes a difference, particularly on larger maps. It also seems kinda weird that the sort of killer win mechanic can be manipulated like that, but not the survivor win mechanic.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

Survival BP offerings are noticeably worse than the other types, so something being done about them would be nice. Other than that, bloodpoint offerings are fine. Map modifiers are fine. Luck offerings are fine. Moris are fine. Event offerings are fun.

Map offerings should be changed to make them exclude a map, rather than force it. This still gives some control, but not full control.

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828
    Options

1 hook offering is barely noticeable, get 3-4 petrified oaks and it's not very fun 😂