If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Technician buff?

Options
WarmWormGuts
WarmWormGuts Member Posts: 1

Im mostly a killer player, but I would love to buy Feng, so I can use the new Rift cosmetics (the medieval vibe is just so cute), but I already have Lithe from the shrine. I would love to just get her instead of get all the perks, because she's super cute !! But Technician and Alert just aren't worth it for me, as someone who already has lithe. Which got me thinking about technician. It's super underused at higher ranked play because it regresses so much progress. I would love if it didn't lose any more progress at all, and instead reduced the progress lost! (Say instead of the percentage lost rn, you post 1 - 3% of current progress upon failing skill checks.)

This might be a little strong against overcharge, and would make Oppression even less meta :(( so maybe we could have Technician ignore "special skill checks"! Caused by those type of perks. Maybe call them "tampered" if a special perk type is required

What do you say? Should technician get a buff?

Technician buff? 18 votes

Yes! Buff it!
61%
brokedownpalaceMooksRyanTheNCRFobboReverseVelocityMrsJukesGuiltiiAurelleHichuWarmWormGutsKyuumai 11 votes
Buff it, but not as much!
0%
No, don't buff it.
38%
wydyadoitValikThat_One_FriendConrad16thSnowflake_SyndromeVerolesPyPai479 7 votes

Comments

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Yes! Buff it!

I don't really see a reason for Technician to have an extra regression penalty. Currently, it's a perk that does more harm than good.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options
    Yes! Buff it!

There's no reason for it to have that extra regression penalty. Some changes would do the perk some good

• Conrad16th
    Conrad16th Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2023
    Options
    No, don't buff it.

Nice idea but it won't work.

"It's super underused at higher ranked play because it regresses so much progress."

Imo, It's super underused at higher ranked play because survs hit the skill checks properly, you will be good at it soon as well I believe. The perk saves lives of new players by not compromising their whereabouts, but should not rewarding them. Thanks to down side of the perk, a new player will learn quicker to hit skill checks.

"you lost 1 - 3% of current progress upon failing skill checks"

Say, you have 10 sec. progress on a gen; you are failing a skill check; the penalty = 0.1 - 0.3 sec. It's not enough.

Above all, the perk have to have penalty because as you said is used on lower ranks. On lower ranks you see many killers using builds around skill checks (ex: Hex: Huntress Lullaby, Distressing, Unnerving Presence, Agitation).

Imagine, one perk counters the whole build. The killer would be like 😭 ...🤨 uninstall.

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,131
    Options
    No, don't buff it.

technician IS a good perk. people just dont value it because they don't typically fail skill checks. running it with rebecca's perk and a skill check toolbox and tapps stakeout, though, makes for an amazing combo.

so... it's just underrated.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    Options
    No, don't buff it.

It needs a bit of a tweak, not a buff.

People tend to get bogged down debating if a per CAN or CANNOT be valuable in certain circumstances in the current state - forgetting about what players want, what Survivors need, and that the best perks are ones that are both fun and powerful at the same time. The reason nobody takes the perk is not simply because it cdan/cannot work, but because it provides less reliable value as other, more gainful options on the roster.

IMO, here's what an ideal Technician change would look like:

You have a wealth of experience with hardware, and prefer it all to run quietly.

While working on a generator, the audio generated from repair sounds and completion progress is reduced by 40/60/80% and Physical aspects of generator repair are suppressed. (Piston movement, sparks, etc.)

When a generator you’re working on explodes, it does not pause repair actions and makes no audio - putting this perk on a 30 second cooldown

“If you can hear the fans on your custom rig, you wasted your money." – Feng Min

Also, I'd like it if they changed the art a little to make it slightly more generic.

When people run Technician, they want to sleuth a generator right beside a killer and never worry too harshly about the consequences of blundering a skill check.

By making it so that the repair actions can easily be overlooked by an unwary killer, and has teamwork applications by negating the repair CD of missed skill checks and suppressing the audio the perk can come in clutch, but isn't complete immunity to explosions. Missing a skill check or saving your friend from revealing your position with this perk deactivates its benefits for long enough for reprieve. It's strong in a team and when it's up, and provides a 'get out of jail free' card that the killer can be mindful of.