I can say without a doubt, Autodidact is a bad perk

I ran an experiment within 50 matches and these are my results! Link to paper

The conclusion:

No. Don’t run this perk. On average, this perk does more harm than good. Yes, it has the potential of being really useful, but it just doesn’t cut it. Killers don’t run enough slow down perks/addon to healing for this to be worth while. You might have a match like #30 where I got 12 heals against a 3 gening knight, but I could have done the same with Botany Knowledge or Desperate Measures

Comments

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 954

It's a bad perk but I love it. I run it on one of my mains, and make my goal getting all 5 tokens. Usually it's a completely dead slot but I don't mind. Makes it all the cooler when I actually do well without meta perks.

I hope they buff it to have more skillchecks though.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,295

It's a fun perk, but its over-reliance on RNG makes it the second worst perk in the game, as it's more helpful to the user's opponent, than the user themselves in almost all cases.

I think you need to get five skillchecks in order to get Autodidact to offer a net benefit, and it'll only give 5% total, one tenth of Botany.

Autodidact needs to either award a token on completing a heal, or, on cooldown, be able to summon a skillcheck on demand to counteract the RNG dependency.

I've tried running it with FTP so I can avoid screwing over my teammate, but (vent mode engaged) every healing perk you take increases the likelihood of going up against Plague by 50%.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,459

They should just simplify the perk a bit. Remove the penalty, reduce each stack to 8%.

No bonus, or lost progression on the first skillcheck. 40% boost when maxed out. Would make it more consistent. The fact that you take away healing progress is stupid, but so is 50% heals.

• Bot_Salvo88
    Bot_Salvo88 Member Posts: 1,230

All autodidact really needs is an increased skill check probability while you heal someone. It's so stupid that you heal someone for 16 seconds and you get no skill check at all.

• healsoflove718
    healsoflove718 Member Posts: 81

Anything is better than Autodidact, LOL. even a med-kit is better than that crap.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,767

Okay but like hear me out: it's funny

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,767

The way you said "even a med-kit" concerns me because they're like one of if not the best items in the game

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

It’s 11/10 on fun factor though so I’m still bringing it every game

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

Nothing better than healing someone you're in voice chat with at 0 tokens and hear them hiss in disdain when they notice their bar going down by a chunk

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,081

I always liked the Perk, but it is way too bad. And also not really in a state that it can ever be buffed, because otherwise healing would go too fast.

But it is just stupid that you dont get Skill Checks the whole game and then when you heal someone, Killer coming closer, THEN you will get your first Skill Check on the almost fully healed Survivor so that they are still injured when the Killer arrives...