The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why NO ONE plays Gearhead?

It's not that bad at all. Maybe if it would give you audio notification then it would be even more usefull.

Comments

• BlueHorkew
    BlueHorkew Member Posts: 1,081

I used it sometimes with Plague. I don't like that you can't control when you get the info, and the aura can be hard to see sometimes.

I would like for a small rework, a survivor looses a health state and after 5 seconds all gens being worked on become yellow for 3 seconds triggering an audio notification.

Consistent info and survivors if they want can time it to let go of gens in order to not get detected.

I don't know, it's an ok perk, just doesn't feel that good to use in my opinion

• Turretcube
    Turretcube Member Posts: 459

Audio notification is something alot of people want for Gearhead.

Being able to gain some additional token's would be nice as well. I've toyed with it for a decent period, outside of Generator aura's hiding the survivor aura on activation, i found you can get a lot of hit's but a huge lack of activation in match's. Sort of make's every other information perk better with how often you get them to activate and get feedback from them in a match. Something like being able to get up to 3 token's max wouldn't be terrible.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

I kinda miss the old one tbh. Just needed to activate on any skill check (including oppression for synergy) and last longer

• Strawhat
    Strawhat Member Posts: 9

I think it's pretty bad. Having to hit a survivor to get it is a cute lil activation requirement, no notes there. The great skill check is bad tho. Not to say that nobody's hitting great skill checks, just that very few are unless they have a build around hitting them, which you can't deduce before or during a game. Not to mention when it does activate it tends to either be 1. info you already knew 2. info you can't just drop everything to capitalize on and 3. info a more synergistic perk could've given you like Surveillance, new Eruption or BBQ.

There are just more enticing options out there for info perks that Gearhead seems pointless

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,438

Depends on RNG and most survivors are not good enough to hit great skillchecks consistently, which is also the only reason hearhead is balanced, why use a perk that only works at random?

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,581

It should give a loud noise notification like Tinkerer and Call of Brine do, along with the aura reveal.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

There is no noise notification and Survivor auras are hard to see on gens, even if you know to look.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,352

I can't think of a reason to use Gearhead over other aura reading perks. Even if you ignore how you can miss gearhead activating or how the survivor red aura is hard to see against the gen's red aura, there's plenty of aura reading perks that are useful for specific situations.

Gearhead being a random aura reading on a random survivor is just not that useful.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

I could see it being used in a hit and run build with pre 6.1 ruin, the problem is hit and run is kind of a dead playstyle, and it gives info in such a small window at such an inopportune time. Generally after a surv losing a health state you are either continuing chase or hooking and would miss the auras anyways.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

I wish they didn't change the perk

It doesn't do much anymore as others have said

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,630
    1. No Audio Notification
    2. Distortion and Off The Record
    3. Aura perks on generator auras are hard to distinguish

Probably one of the worst executed perks.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,703
    edited March 2023

It’s too easy to not notice it when it triggers. It needs a sound cue like Alert has.

• Caiman

This does make me wonder why survivor auras are red while the killer's aura is pink. Shouldn't it be the other way around, since killers already see generators and hex totems in red?

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

Problem with gearhead is that the auras of survivors on gens are incredibly hard to spot from most angles. If it gave a noise notification it'd be an excellent perk. Particularly to counter hyper focus and fogwise.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,063
    edited March 2023

My main issue with Gearhead is mostly a me-issue: a tendency to miss its activation and not realize there's an aura to see.

Though if I can get better about that it may earn a spot in my long-range regression Artist build (Currently Surveillance, Ruin, Pain Res, Oppression). Maybe slot it in place of Oppression and see if I can't take people on gens by surprise.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,117

This is one of the perk they reworked and their rework made perk worse instead of better. I would sometime use old gearhead on some killers as filler information perk but after it rework. it is not worth using.

1) first problem is that the perk triggers when a survivor completes a great skill-check. if we take average low to high mmr, the average is likely to be less good at great skill-checks compare good skill-checks. The fact you rely on survivors to trigger the perk makes the perk inconsistent. The good skill-check condition was way better before.

2) second problem is that the perk shows you aura which are red and generator aura are also red. Before the perk showed you that generator was yellow which acted as budget discordance/surveillance perk that automatically triggered. Aura reading made the perk worse because it is harder to spot survivor compare to yellow generator.

The perk already has limitations in duration and limitations that you need hit a survivor to activate it. I think they should remove great/good skill-check aspect and change it to working on any skill-check. In addition, change the perk back to yellow generator aura reading. Yellow generator was better in my opinion then survivor aura reading.

• Caiman

My main issue with Gearhead is mostly a me-issue: a tendency to miss its activation and not realize there's an aura to see.

That's not a you issue, that's the perk being badly designed because it doesn't tell the killer it's doing anything when it really should. How useful would Alert be if there was no audio cue? Or Tinkerer? Or Iron Maiden? That Gearhead has no audio cue when the description is worded like it's about having good hearing is a laughable failure on part of the game designers.

• Caiman

I wouldn't mind keeping the great skill check requirement but I'd want to see it trigger a loud noise, mark the generator as yellow, and reveal the survivor's aura all at once. It would definitely make the survivor easier to see, a red aura against a yellow aura.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182
    edited March 2023

It is really bad though, RNG on top of RNG on top of being in the right place at the right time. It's not "garbage" per say, but why on earth would you run it when things like BBQ, Darkness revealed, nurses, I'm all Ears, Nowhere to Hide, Discordance, Lethal to make those others even better, etc. all exist and have nowhere near the amount of constraints plus counters that gearhead has.