Would you like Survivors and Killer to take turns on picking perks in lobby?

Options
Ivanynakov
Ivanynakov Member Posts: 228

Lots of perks were made to counter other perks. But every single game starts by picking your perks blindly. So you can't mindfully counter the opponent, only hope for a luck.

What if Killer and Survivors were taking turns on picking perks? For example all Survivors choose 1 perk, Killer chooses 1. And repeat until all 4 perks are equipped. This could start as event mode for a test.

Would you like Survivors and Killer to take turns on picking perks in lobby? 18 votes

Yes
0%
No
94%
RaptorrotasChordycepsCrowmanMapersonMarc_go_soloHeaderIWasLeft2DieHugTheHagLooeDbDGensByDaylightsaneesDavidHypnoscrustydustysock234GhoulNativeCorvusCorax86isxbellashofarian_starfall 17 votes
Yes but differently from your suggestion (leave the comment)
5%
JonOzzie16 1 vote

Comments

• JonOzzie16
    JonOzzie16 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    Yes but differently from your suggestion (leave the comment)

I would totally love a random matchmaking trial where everything is selected at random. Perks, items and add ons. I fear that people would DC frequently though.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,789
    Options
    No

#########, I didn't read this right, I meant yes but differently!!!

I don't feel it really needs a "I pick one, you pick one" thing. Just a randomiser would do, like DBD Randomiser.

It's how I play every one of my trials anyway, so it would be no biggy for me in terms of changes, but it would certainly make things interesting.

• Kirarozu
    Kirarozu Member Posts: 238
    Options

I think this would only work if it were like a perk ban phase. Not what perks you're picking but what perks you most don't want to see. I feel like this would most hurt survivors though because the killer could just ban the 4 strongest exhaustion perks. Imagine if Dead Hard, Sprint Burst, Lithe, and Adrenaline were banned every match. Your only options would be Balanced Landing, Overcome, Head On, and Smash Hit. That would massively advantage the killer.

• Ivanynakov
    Options

The rest of exhaustion perks are still powerful and good. So killer will not help himself that much. Prove Thyself, Deliverence, Unbreakable for example are more dangerous options. But there is far more than 4 strong survivor perks in the game so I think banning system would not destroy survivors nor killers.

Also having bans will give solid statistics to developers. So they will know what to nerf/buff/rework and what new perks to bring with the next chapter. So in case banning exhaustion perks becomes a meta, then developers will very like add more of those.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    edited May 2023
    Options
    No

This would be miserable. If you queue in with a killer and particular perks are not allowed you can be pretty SOL if certain perks are banned depending on a killer.

• Ivanynakov
    Options

So you are saying that perks are inbalanced? And you like my idea but you want balance it first.

• IWasLeft2Die
    Options
    No

No I'm not saying perks are inbalanced. I'm saying some killers are either too weak or designed in a way they aren't very viable if certain perks are banned.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,770
    Options
    No

I don't get the point.

Survivors and Killers aren't picking from the same perk pool. Having them take turns picking perks doesn't contribute to anything.

• Ivanynakov
    Options

So you say that killer using same perks over and over again seems like bad perk design or lack of perks. But you like the idea.

• Crowman
    Options
    No

That's really a big deal. DBD is an asym game. Sometimes people will be playing something that hard counters your build. That's not a big deal.

• IWasLeft2Die
    edited May 2023
    Options
    No

Again, not what I'm saying. I'd be more for the idea if certain killers were buffed and some others were given more variety in playstyles.

For example, if I was playing doctor and most of the terror radius related perks got banned it would be pretty miserable since his whole deal is dependent upon his terror radius. Yes he could still win but he isn't made in a way that he can be effective outside of terror radius related builds

Post edited by IWasLeft2Die on
  • Crowman
    Options
    No

If you think you are solely losing every game due to the perks the opponent are bringing into the game, you have a different issue to resolve that your suggestion wouldn't fix.

• AGM
    AGM Member Posts: 806
    Options

Only if it was for some kind of other game mode. What we REALLY need is for survivors to be able to see the perks of their teammates in the lobby.

• Ivanynakov
    Options

I know that some perks stacks with Killer powers but it doesn't mean that without them he is worse. Taking perks that will fill his gaps may be an option too. Or just random perk build which will help in other areas. It is like having killer with certain stats (4dmg, 2speed, 1gen control) and having 5 more points to give. You may want to praise his uniqueness by make him 9dmg, 2speed, 1gen control. Nothing wrong with that. But giving points closer to balanced stats (4dmg, 4speed, 4gen control) may lead to better results when you are difficult to counter.

What do you mean by giving more emotions to killers? Unbound them from one certain playstyle?

• Ivanynakov
    Options

Not at all. I am just bored of taking same solid builds. Other builds are too risky to take, because you may not trigger a single perks there for whole game.

• IWasLeft2Die
    Options
    No

Sorry I had a typo.

Yes I was indicat8ng that some killers just aren't designed to be able to have different playstyles. For example, if you take Trapper and remove all slow down he is just going to lose against players who aren't potatoes. This idea can't work if killers are limited in the playstyles that can explore

• Kirarozu
    Kirarozu Member Posts: 238
    Options

They aren't nearly as good as the others. Balanced is rarely useful. Overcome makes your run slightly further... I'm gonna have to disagree with you. They are not strong. No one uses them for a reason.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options
    No

Speculating on the other side's perks is part of the fun. I don't think stripping the game of the mystery would be very good.

I firmly see DbD as a casual game (if not the often ridiculed term "party game") and to me a system like this would push forward a competitive mindset aspect I dislike very much.

Plus I could see a spike in peer pressure to take "good perks" as the perk selection phase would reveal your build to others. For example, I've been messing a lot with chest builds with Ace In The Hole / Appraisal because I think it spices up my games nicely. I could see survivors dodging that as they realize that half my build is not useful to the group but more of a time waster.

• Ivanynakov
    Options

You need to know how to position yourself while using Balance. In indoor maps it becomes even stronger than other exh. perks.

Overcome gives you much more distance advantage. Which helps to hide or find solid loop area. This is solid and difficult to counter. Killer chasing you risks to lose a lot of time.

Dead Hard is easy to counter, just bait it out or wait it out. Lithe can be countered by window blocking perks (if we could plan our perks). Sprint burst is the strongest if survivor knows how to use 99%. But this perk brings the risk to be chased while exhausted.

So Sprint burst would be often banned or devs would rework it or create counterperk for killers. Or maybe not. Maybe knowing about this perks would be enough for Killer to counter it by his strategy.

• Ivanynakov
    Options

I imagine DBD to have two modes - casual and competitive. Same as it is with most of big games. I am honestly very satisfied with queue times and don't mind to wait longer.

In case there would be queue time problems, devs can make an option to select several modes/roles to speed up it up. This feature is already in Overwatch and other succesfull games. In DBD it could look like this (very rough concept just for visualisation):

So in this case I chose to play Survivor Ranked. In SFW case Killer checkbox would be disabled.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options
    No

Very pretty visual !

I don't think DbD has enough of a pool of players to sustain casual and ranked, and I'm unsure what the ranked mode even would be or how efficient it would be. If it was to mimic competitions (*shiver*) then it would put heavy restrictions at least on the survivor side, which then might skew the player distribution with lots of survivors queueing for casual and lots of killers queueing for ranked.

I haven't given it deep thoughts, but I'm not convinced spontaneously.