We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Chapter Concept: Depths of Faith

Options
Critical_Fish
Critical_Fish Member Posts: 615
edited May 2023 in Creations

Contents:

Killer - The Glare

Killer Data

Powers

• Brimstone Stare
  • Shadows Walk
  • Add-ons
  • Iridescent Add-ons

Perks

• Ashes to Ashes
  • Hex: Overpower
  • Scourge Hook: Prison of Faith

Survivor - Luna Bennett

Perks

• Boon: Midnight's Light
  • Delirium Coalesce
  • Occult Indication

Survivor - Vivian Bennett

Perks

• Boon: Blind Sighted
  • Brimstone Snare
  • Cauterize

The Glare

Killer Data

Overview: The Glare is a suffocating Killer, slowly crushing Survivor's resolve through oppressive force. His personal perks create an impossible force, one that will break anyone before long.

Speed: 4.6 m/s (115%)

Terror Radius: 32 meters

Height: Tall

Primary Power: Brimstone Stare

While in a chase with the Glare, Brimstone Glare gains 1 charge on the chased Survivor for each second they're in chase. When a chase starts, a Survivor automatically gains 2 charges. 1 charge decays for every 3 seconds of not being in a chase, down to any multiple of 20.

Upon clicking the Power Button, the Glare sees the aura of all Survivors if they're within a number of meters equal to the number of charges of him. This can be held infinitely.

Secondary Power: Shadows Walk

The Glare can hold the Active Ability Button for 2 seconds to drain 20 Brimstone Stare charges from all Survivors who have that amount or more, moving at 3.4 m/s during that time. This creates 3 Shadow Walkers around a 16 meter radius from each Survivor whose charges were drained. The Glare can see the auras of all Shadow Walkers in white. Shadow Walkers move at 2 m/s. They do not react to sound queues of any kind. Shadow Walkers can walk through windows and pallets as if they were not there.

Shadow Walkers have a favored Survivor, one they will always approach if there is not another Survivor within 8 meters of them, in which case they will approach that Survivor until they are no longer in that range (if the favored Survivor is also within 8 feet of the Shadow Walker, they will approach the favored Survivor instead, regardless of who's closer).

The initial favored Survivor is the Survivor the Shadow Walkers were created from, unless the Survivor is downed or hooked, in which case the favored Survivor is the next closest Survivor to their spawn point. If a Survivor is downed, all Shadow Walkers with that Survivor as their favored Survivor change targets to the next closest Survivor. If a Survivor already has 9 Shadow Walkers favoring them, any other Shadow Walkers that would favor them favor the Survivor with the fewest Shadow Walkers favoring them instead (the closest valid Survivor, if there is a tie).

If a Survivor gets too close to a Shadow Walker, it will grab them. Survivors grabbed by a Shadow Walker have their speed reduced to 0.2 m/s, and are marked by Killer Instinct to the Glare. If a Survivor that is grabbed is healthy, they lose 1 health state, but if they are injured, they're put into Deep Wounds instead. Survivors have a progression bar to escape a Shadow Walker, with continuous difficult skill checks. The bar takes around 4 seconds to complete normally, succeeding all skill checks, but failing a skill check pauses progression for 0.5 seconds.

If a Survivor is grabbed by another Shadow Walker while already grabbed, this increases the struggle bar by 1 second less than the previous Shadow Walker's increase, down to a minimum of 1 second per Shadow Walker (if 9 Shadow Walkers grab a Survivor, this results in a struggle time of 15 seconds) (suggested by @Z0mbiv0r). If a Survivor breaks free from a Shadow Walker(s), that Shadow Walker(s) despawns.

Shadow Walkers despawn naturally after 120 seconds. The Glare can tell how close a Shadow Walker is to despawning by the intensity of its aura (decreasing the longer it has been around).

Add-ons

• Survivors being chased by the Glare gain 1 additional Brimstone Stare charge every 3rd second of chase.
  • When a Survivor enters a chase, they gain 1/2 additional charges.
  • Increases the aura reading of Brimstone Stare by 4/6/8 meters.
  • Increases the speed of Shadow Walkers by 0.2 m/s (to 2.2 m/s).
  • When Shadow Walkers despawn, their favored Survivor is Blinded for 20/40 seconds.
  • When Shadow Walkers despawn, their favored Survivor is Hindered by 10% for 10 seconds.
  • When Shadow Walkers despawn, their favored Survivor is Exposed for 20 seconds.
  • Increases the lifespan of Shadow Walkers by 10/15/20 seconds.
  • Increases the time to escape from a Shadow Walker by 0.5/1/1.5 seconds.
  • Survivors with 6 or more Shadow Walkers favoring them have a 10% decrease to generator repair speeds/15% decrease to healing speeds/20% decrease to cleansing speeds/25% decrease to unhooking speeds/30% decrease to mending speeds.
  • When a Survivor begins to mend, all Shadow Walkers within 24 meters of them will begin to favor them.
  • When a Survivor is healed, all Shadow Walkers within 24 meters of them will begin to favor them.

Iridescent Add-ons

Iridescent Book

A reminder of what your actions have cost you, recreated in the fog.

You can destroy Shadow Walkers by attacking them. Doing this has an 80% reduced attack cooldown. This counts as the Shadow Walker despawning.

When Shadow Walkers despawn, their favored Survivor is Incapacitated for 10 seconds.

Eye of the Beholder

What you gained for your heinous acts. It feels like it was worth it.

Survivors whose auras are revealed by Brimstone Stare gain 1 Brimstone Stare charge per second they are revealed. It takes 1 extra second to use Shadows Walk.

Perks

Ashes to Ashes

When a Survivor is healed, they are Exposed for 30 seconds.

If that Survivor is within your terror radius (suggested by @Z0mbiv0r), that Survivor screams, revealing their location for 4 seconds.

This has a cooldown of 100/90/80 seconds.

"You'll return to me before long. You always do."

Hex: Overpower

In this realm, you're in control.

You cannot drop Survivors you are carrying by any means other than them wiggling out. When you hit a Survivor with a basic attack, that Survivor becomes Exhausted and Hindered by 10% for 8/12/16 seconds.

All effects of the Hex Perk persist until its Hex Totem is cleansed or blessed.

Exhaustion does not recover while running.

Scourge Hook: Prison of Faith

You can do no wrong as long as God is on your side.

At the start of the Trial, 4 random Hooks are turned into Scourge Hooks.

• The auras of Scourge Hooks are revealed to you in white.

Each time a Survivor is hooked on a Scourge Hook, gain 1 Token (max. 6/8/10).

When a generator is completed, the following effects apply:

• All Survivors have their auras revealed for a number of seconds equal to the number of Tokens on this Perk.
  • All Survivors become Blind and Oblivious for 6 seconds per Token on this Perk.

"The Lord guides my hand. Not once has He led me astray, and not once will He let you avoid damnation."

Luna Bennett

Overview: Luna is an odd girl, but an effective leader. Her perks enable her to direct people where they need to be, using powers neither she or them quite understand.

Perks

Boon: Midnight's Light

A Boon that guides you.

Press and hold the Active Ability Button on a Dull or Hex Totem to bless it and create a Boon Totem.

Soft chimes ring out in a radius of 24 meters.

All generators within the Boon Totem's radius have their auras revealed to all Survivors in white.

All Survivors benefit from the following effects when inside the Boon Totem's radius:

• The aura of all generators are shown. The intensity of their auras reveal their repair progress.
  • While in the Killer's terror radius, the Killer's aura is revealed.
    • Both effects linger for 2/3/4 seconds after leaving the Boon Totem's range.

Only one Totem can be blessed by your Boon Perks at a time and all of their effects are active on the same Boon Totem.

"The full moon shows you far more than you'd expect, if you know what to look for."

Delirium Coalesce

Anywhere you are, things tend to get a little weird.

After repairing a generator for 30 or more seconds without stopping, 3 random generators have their auras hidden from the Killer for as long as you're repairing that generator. Those generators have their auras revealed to all Survivors.

This effect lingers for 4/8/12 seconds after you're no longer repairing that generator.

Occult Indication

You've studied this sort of thing a little more than you'd like to admit.

When you enter the basement, the aura of the basement hooks are shown to all Survivors in pink, and the following, if they're within 12 meters of you, are also shown:

• Pallets and windows in yellow.
  • Generators in white.
  • The Killer in red.
  • Totems in pink.

This persists for 4 seconds.

This has a cooldown of 100/90/80 seconds.

Vivian Bennett

Overview: Simultaneously arrogant and insecure, Vivian finds herself in many situations she's not prepared for. To wriggle out of these, though, her perks provide many helpful tricks she hides up her sleeve.

Perks

Boon: Blind Sighted

A Boon that traps the Killer.

Press and hold the Active Ability Button on a Dull or Hex Totem to bless it and create a Boon Totem.

The Killer suffers from the following effects when inside the Boon Totem's radius:

• Reduces the action speed of breaking pallets and breakable walls, and damaging generators by 40%.
  • When the Killer snuffs this Boon Totem (suggested by @Z0mbiv0r), the Entity blocks the perimeter of this Boon Totem's radius for the Killer for 4/6/8 seconds.

Only one Totem can be blessed by your Boon Perks at a time and all of their effects are active on the same Boon Totem.

"HA! Look at this idiot!"

Brimstone Snare

Catching yourself to catch your enemy isn't exactly efficient, but it's worked too many times to discount it.

After performing a rushed vault, that pallet or window you vaulted is blocked by the Entity for 10 seconds, preventing both you and the Killer from interacting with it. Survivors, except you, are still able to vault that blocked object.

This has a cooldown of 60/50/40 seconds.

Cauterize

While healing yourself, you can press the Active Ability Button to inflict yourself with Broken for 60 seconds.

You gain 5 seconds of Endurance.

This has a cooldown of 100/90/80 seconds. This cannot be used while Broken.

"This is gonna hurt!"

Post edited by Critical_Fish on

Comments

• Z0mbiv0r
    Z0mbiv0r Member Posts: 274
    Options

Seriously, I love your designs. I'll be short, and leave insightful commentary to more experienced players.

The power of the Glare seems very cool and interesting, though complex. I don't really get the action required to escape Shadow's grasps. I mean, what if several of them are on you? Does the time required increases?

Ashes to Ashes looks a bit overpowered imo. What about limiting the range at which healing survivors scream at the killer's TR?

Boon: Blight Sighted also seems a bit too OP imo. Besides, I'm not sure it could be feasible to block the path for the killer to exit the boon's range.

Very cool concept overall.

• Critical_Fish
    Options

Thank you for your input! You say you'll be leaving insightful stuff to others, but this is very insightful itself too.

I'll be honest, I didn't consider multiple Shadows on a Survivor. Odd, given a major mechanic is having many of them on a Survivor at once, but it just didn't cross my mind.

I think I'll be adding something like each additional Shadow increases the timer by 3/4 of the previous Shadow's addition. This would mean that, for up to 9 Shadows, the timers would be: 4 seconds + 3.5 seconds + 2.6 seconds + 2 seconds, and so on up to the number of Shadows, or until a Shadow just wouldn't add enough of a significant value to even round up to 0.1 seconds (what an unfortunate scenario that'd be). I should also add a system where if a Survivor escapes a Shadow, it despawns. What're your thoughts on those changes?

For Ashes to Ashes, I think restricting it so the Survivor only screams if they're in your terror radius would be very interesting. I'll be changing that now.

Blind Sighted functions on a similar logic to the Entity in the Exit Gates, where the Entity creates a wall Survivors can pass through but the Killer cannot. But, rather than just covering the exit from the trial, it would cover the full perimeter of the Boon for the total duration of that effect.

I do think Blind Sighted is likely to be a very strong, but fine perk. Since it still gives the Killer a lot of area to roam and deactivates the Boon upon concluding, it doesn't waste as much time as it would seem. Perhaps adding a notification if the Killer enters the radius of Blind Sighted would make it more fair, though?

• Z0mbiv0r
    Options

Hmmm... Having 3/4 of the previous shadow's timer add up each time sounds like too much of a hassle, and also add up to almost 15 seconds for the 9 of them, which is not bad, really, but the last 3 additions are barely meaningful. How about 4 seconds the first, 3 the second one, 2 the third and then 1 second each afterwards? For a total of 15 seconds too, but each one would be more impactful, I think. In regards to despwaning the Shadows if the survivor esacapes, I entirely agree. If not, I guess it could be very powerful.

The thing with Blind Sighted is that I'm not sure if they could just do a moveable barrier for the killer, I mean, I don't know if the coding, engine, whatever it is that affects this things would allow for it. I guess placing a barrier on interactable items from a tile set or the exit doors is one thing, but the limit of a boon radius might be difficult or impossible. I am not sure, though, maybe it is very easily doable, but that would be my main concern.

As an alternative way of achieving something similar, how about this:

Boon: Blind Sighted

A Boon that traps the Killer.

Press and hold the Active Ability Button on a Dull or Hex Totem to bless it and create a Boon Totem.

The Killer suffers from the following effects when inside the Boon Totem's radius:

• Reduces the action speed of breaking pallets and breakable walls, and damaging generators by 40%.
      • When the Killer snuffs this Totem, the Killer is stunned for 2/3/4 seconds.

"HA! Look at this idiot!"

I used the stun option because I'm not sure if a killer can be affected by something like the Hindered status effect. If they could, maybe swich 'stunned for 2/3/4 seconds' for 'suffers a 5/10/15% Hindered status for 5 seconds'?

• Critical_Fish
    Options

I entirely agree with your changes for Shadows Walk, so I'll be tweaking that now.

For Blind Sighted though, I do have disagreements/clarifications.

Generally with my concepts I try not to worry about whether or not Dead By Daylight's spaghetti code could support it; this chapter itself just isn't possible due to spaghetti code because of the sheer number of entities spawned by Shadows Walk. Think of if Nemesis had a max of 36 zombies on the map at once, for example-

The stun "works" and isn't as punishing, numerically, as what I'm aiming for. However it cannot be overstated how impactful still being able to act during those 8 seconds are. 24 meter radius is no small potatoes, the Killer has a wide array of places they can go, generators they can kick, etc. It wastes time, but not as much time as it seems like it would.

A 4 second stun for an action a lot of Killers do at the start of a chase, or while going from gen to gen, is much more impactful than a "haha you got wall'd", especially if the Killer is notified that they're within Blind Sighted, giving it counter play. Also I think being able to stare at a completely actionable Killer and just teabag is funny.

Further, the wall does not block teleportation and likely wouldn't block projectiles as long as the Killer isn't close enough to spawn the wall, so there isn't really a single Killer who's hard punished by Blind Sighted, that doesn't also have massive movement (Hillbilly, Cannibal, Spirit, Blight, Wesker, etc). Pig, unfortunately, is the sole exception to this.

If it would make it feel more proper, balance-wise, in addition to adding the notification I could reduce the time the wall exists to maybe 3/5/7 or 4/5/6 seconds?

• Z0mbiv0r
    Options

I didn't even think about the code supporting the Shadow Walkers. Such a shame because I would enjoy this chapter a lot.

As for Blind Sighted. Disregarding the technical issues, the wall I guess would be fine, though it would have to go through testing to know for sure. I do have a problem with measuring distance in-game, tbh, so that's why I raised the OP flag, but I'm trusting your guidance. Nonetheless, and this is just an expression of my tastes and thus not to be taken as actual advice/criticism, I would find it cooler if the wall appeared upon snuffing the totem. It would work like an insurance perk for using boons and the synergies between Boon perks makes me drool.

Still, If the 4 survivors run this perk and spammed it, it could be OP or at least extremely annoying. It would have to be tested and balanced if necessary.

Anyway, I do really like your concepts and would love to see more if you keep going. So far I think I would buy your creations, they are original, interesting and look like fun. Great job!

• Z0mbiv0r
    edited May 2023
    Options

Edited: Seriously, I don't know what's happening here. I posted an aswer at the time showed in the previous post and nothing showed up. I figured it might have needed some time to be uploaded and posted so I went check other threads in the forums. I came back 30 minutes later to find the text I had sent earlier wasn't published, so I thought 'ok, no problem, I'll write it again'. I come back now only to find two similar copies of the same post with 40 minutes in-between.

Not a real problem, though, but justifying the double post.

Post edited by Z0mbiv0r on
  • Critical_Fish
    Options

I actually really like that idea of changing Blind Sighted to being when snuffed, so I'll change that now. Thank you for your help!