We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Killers are forbidden to lunge if they are too close to a survivor, which can steal hits.

Options
Coffeecrashing
Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,202

Killers are forbidden to lunge if they are too close to a survivor. It doesn't matter if a killer is holding a direction and the M1 button at the same time, because the game will force a short M1 tap attack if the killer tries to attack while right next to a survivor.

I'd even claim that many of the aim dressing complaints involve this short M1 tap bug, because if a killer is expecting to be able to do a full lunge attack, and they purposely turn their camera toward an object because lunges have zero object collision (and therefore they are expecting to be able to curve around objects with their lunge), that when the killer is forced into a short M1 tap attack, they can easily hit an object next to them and think the problem was aim dressing.

BHVR should also look into the possibility that the game might be forcing short M1 tap attacks, even though the survivor might be out of range by the time the hit validation snapshots are taken, which means that the forced short M1 tap attack might be stealing a hit, because the killer could have reached the survivor if they were allowed to lunge attack.

24 votes

Under Review · Last Updated

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue, we are forwarding this to the team for their review

Comments

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

This is still pending? Do I need to submit videos with keyboard and mouse inputs? Is BHVR unsure to whether or not this bug happens?

• SuperMunchkin95
    SuperMunchkin95 Member Posts: 136
    Options

Just curious... what does it mean with the pending, the closed discussions?

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

Pending means that BHVR hasn't confirmed or denied that it's a bug. Even though this issue is easily created, and happens 100% of the time, no one from BHVR is bothering to even comment on it.

Bugs that can steal hits from killers, should be a high priority.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

Killers are forbidden to lunge if they are too close to a survivor. It doesn't matter if a killer is holding a direction and the M1 button at the same time, because the game will force a short M1 tap attack if the killer tries to attack while right next to a survivor.

This means that killers have an M1 deadzone, that is near the max length of the forced M1 zone. M1 attacks are unreliable in the M1 deadzone. Survivor 360s try to trigger this bug, hoping that when the killer starts to hold M1, that the killer is close enough to get a forced short M1 attack, but when hit validation happens the killer is too far away for a short M1 attack to succeed.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

How is this still Pending after 7 months? Is this a super secret bug, that no one is allowed to talk about? This bug is huge, and affects so many games.

• MikhailVictor
    MikhailVictor Member Posts: 312
    Options

The finally found this post!

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

I wonder if this will be “Under Review” for the next 7 months, even though this issue literally happens 100% of the time, and it is very easy to recreate this issue.

• MikhailVictor
    MikhailVictor Member Posts: 312
    Options

Some of my bug reports have been "pending" or "under review" for several months (one of which was reported in may 2022 and still pending) so it's totally possible

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

The game validates lunges more than once. The first set of validations, is to check if the killer is allowed to lunge, or if a killer lunge needs to immediately turn into a forced short M1 attack.

There is a COMPELTELY SEPARATE hit validation for whether or not the M1 attack hits the survivor, and that is what causes the stolen hits. The game can forbid the killer from lunging, or forcibly end a lunge early, but then tell the killer the attack missed because the survivor was too far away to hit.

The game should only validate M1 attacks once. This means that if the game forbids a killer to lunge, or forcibly ends their lunge early, then the game should automatically give the killer the hit. There shouldn't be this multiple validation garbage, especially if the proximity validations are done on the killer side (instead of the server side), which means that latency would make it extra worse.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

This is still happening

• Ganoniroth
    Ganoniroth Member Posts: 24
    Options

Can confirm, routinely happens to me, attached clip is an example

• BugReporterOnly
    BugReporterOnly Member Posts: 324
    edited February 24
    Options

Please fix this. I had no idea this was going on for so long.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

I reported this issue something like 9 months ago, and it’s been under review for something like 2 months????????

Why hasn’t this gotten a BHVR comment yet?

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

Is this really “under review”? How has this been “under review” for 3 months?

Is this a top secret bug that BHVR wants to pretend doesn’t exist? I don’t understand why BHVR hasn’t responded in the TEN MONTHS that this bug report has existed for.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

This bug report has existed for around 11 months! And BHVR still refuses to comment on this bug, that steals hits from the killer.

• Gabrote42
    Gabrote42 Member Posts: 30
    Options

This bug happens to me as well, but this actually GIVES me hits, because I play with laggy argentinian connection and the hit validation helps me here. Unless the survivor was 10m away and I had just had a 750ms ping moment. Should get fixed tho.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

This mechanic never ever helps the killer.

If you got a hit due to latency, that is an issue with server hit validation, which is a completely separate topic.

• Gabrote42
    Gabrote42 Member Posts: 30
    Options

The thing is that if I lunge, and the survivor moves during a lag peak, I glide off the survivor. But if the short swing happens, 18 times out of 21 it gives me a hit. Like if you had to manually release the saw to hit someone as Billy, you'd prefer if it acted like it does now. I do want it fixed but it does have upside

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

The problem is the game has proximity checks as completely separate from the damage checks. And if my assumption is correct, that the proximity checks are done on the killer side instead of the server side, then this bug can happen a lot more often during times of latency.

What should happen is that when the killer tries to lunge, it allows the killer to lunge, then it constantly makes hit validation checks. And if the game confirms a hit should happen… then game can yank the camera, or force a short M1 attack, or do whatever else it wants, because it will 100% give the killer the hit.

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 399
    Options

The decrease has existed since 2018 when I started DbD, but I must say that it is getting worse every year, along with the scattering of scratches. When playing survivor, you can avoid multiple attacks in empty terrain by swinging your body from side to side at random or spinning in front of the killer's eyes, I can only assume that BhVR knows this and leaves it as a "technique".

• Kessora
    Kessora Member Posts: 69
    Options

Any update on this bhvr? common :(

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

I opened this bug report in May 2023….. which means that bug report is A YEAR OLD, and STILL has no feedback from BHVR.

Really? A full year, for a bug that steals hits from killers, and could happen in any game? And no one from BHVR cared enough to look into it within the past 12 months????