The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Do the devs know what “face camping” is?

ProfessorDunwich
ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514
edited May 2023 in General Discussions

They said the changes were to counter face camping but being up to 16 meters activates the timer. That is way beyond face camping.

EDIT: Visualization shows they do not know what "face camping" is.

Post edited by ProfessorDunwich on

Comments

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514
  • Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

What is the line between Face Camping and Proxy Camping?

16m might seem like a long way, but it definitely feels too close to consider Proxy camping. It's close enough to be able to reach the unhooker before they make it to the hook, and it's within Kindred range.

• sanees
    sanees Member Posts: 518

16 meters is 32 meters of dead zone on double-deck maps, they should reduce this radius to at least 10, and preferably 8 meters

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,120

It's a limit they've set up as a base until after feedback, so it's possible that the numbers will change.

On the stream, they said that the meter would speed up the closer the killer comes to the hooked survivor, so it is meant to severely punish true face-camping, rather than proxy camping.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,651

It doesn't matter if it's within Kindred range. Face camping is when the killer is right up next to the survivors face, or when the killer's face is right up next to the hooked survivor, depending on whose "face" you want "face camping" to be based off of.

And before this announcement, I've never seen anyone ever use Kindred's range as the facecamping range. And I've never seen BHVR mention that kindred's range was made on purpose to represent facecamping's range. And when BHVR did talk about facecamping, they referred to things like "facecamping with the chainsaw revved", and when it's not a basement hook, that requires the killer to be extremely close to the hooked survivor.. way closer than 16 yards.

• illNicola
    illNicola Member Posts: 482

The real question is: if the hook is on the first floor, and I'm at ground floor, how this works? Because if this activates also when I'm under the hooked survivor, this mechanic is a free deliverance and isn't balanced anymore. Also, I didn't understand a thing: ok, the hooked survivor can free himself, but do they know that if the killer is face camping he can catch the survivor even if he unhook himself right? Or did I miss something? Because if this works the same as deliverance, when you unhook yourself with deliverance you're instantly vulnerable and, even if you go in deep wound state, the killer can catch you up. So, maybe I missed something on this mechanic, but for now is more an L than a W in my opinion

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Have you tried patrolling gens?

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Numbers can change... this is what they want to test 16M then go from there

• Coffeecrashing

In what universe is 16 yards "right next to the survivor's face"?

• 1ettuce
    1ettuce Member Posts: 1,141

Lmao almost like how you play the game and how you're able to play the game are two separate things

• Coffeecrashing
  • jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

Well, facecamping is just standing in clear view of the hook- it hasn't had the requirement of touching the survivor model or near about since they removed the ability to block unhooks. So, the typical range already isn't just melee range, it's any range where the killer can see value while just standing in one place.

As for the specifics of 16 metres, I don't know if that's too much! It'll depend on some other factors we don't know about yet, and we'll all have a grand time testing it on the PTB.

Does that actually change anything meaningfully, though? Because honestly, I don't think slightly-off-so-not-quite-facecamping is any better than "true" facecamping if the gameplay is exactly the same.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,582

On some map, in clear view can be 50 meters away.

Face camping has always been right next to the hook. Originally it was standing right in front to prevent any unhook attempt.

If they prevent proxy camping they can be ready to get a lot of negative feedback (not to mention how silly the plays will look in game)

• jesterkind

Yes, that's why I clarified to any distance you can stand and still get value - I'd personally calculate that at probably around ten metres, since that'd take a little over two seconds to traverse? Add in another second's worth of travel to compensate for killers trying to only put themselves very slightly behind that edge, and you get pretty close to the number the devs decided on. On paper it's sound, we'll have to see how it works in practice.

See above.

• Seraphor

And if they spend 90% of the time at 11m then periodically cut into 10m when they spot a survivor?

• Seraphor
  • jesterkind

I'm pretty sure the system exists to stop the killer from standing near the hook and grinding the gameplay to a halt, based on the way it was described. With that in mind, the extra distance to factor in taking a step back is totally necessary- it sends the message that you aren't supposed to be doing this at all, and that you shouldn't be doing it still but slightly further back to give survivors more of a chance.

Plus, it's a little wiggle room so survivors don't have to have their timing absolutely tight and perfect to counter a tactic that quite literally requires the killer to do nothing at all.

• EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070

Great visualization! It means that radius should be increased twice, right? I sure hope so.

• devotedDBDenjoyer
    devotedDBDenjoyer Member Posts: 269

it should not be because you're still camping. it should be greatly slowed though

• Seraphor

I mean sure, it should be very significantly slower.

The point after all is to punish camping killers when it's not necessary, when there aren't other survivors nearby, so that those other survivors can do gens and punish the killer that way.

But the original question was about the 10-16m buffer and why it's necessary.

If I were designing it in a way that couldn't be abused by killers sitting just outside of effective camping range, then I would design a buffer. And I would tune the speeds in such as way that if the killer is spending time between the active camping range (1-10m) and the buffer (10-16m) then they would still initiate the anti-camping mechanic, but if a killer is spending time in the buffer range (10-16m) and outside of that range (16m+) in any amount, then it wouldn't be effective at activating the anti-camping mechanic.

This is where the precise values of how much this gauge increases by comes into play. If it's tuned in a way that a killer who spends most of there time outside of 10m, even though they're occasionally within 16m, doesn't provide enough gauge to give the survivor an unhook, but a killer who dances between 5, 10 and 16m in an effort to camp while still slowing it down does provide enough gauge to unhook yourself, then it's working as intended, and you have nothing to fear in that 16m limit unless you're actively camping within 10m.

That's the point of the buffer.

• Seraphor

"or otherwise in the immediate vicinity"

How are we defining 'immediate vicinity' here? It's clearly referring to a condition other than directly facing the survivor, "or otherwise"

"allows them to easily interrupt grabs and prevent rescues"

This is possible within around 10m, depending on immediate obstacles, which is why they designed it to be the range it is.

• Seraphor

Depends on the range. I would say if it were possible to code it this precisely, then if the survivors is closer to the hook than the killer is, then it should stop. But if they can only code by range of the hook and not relative position, then it makes sense to be a speed reduction. Otherwise the killer could be at 1m, and the survivor at 15m, and it would stop.

• jesterkind

Yes, exactly. Pretty much the exact quote I would've grabbed.

A killer sitting at 12m away, or whatever's just behind the smaller range you'd propose, is also causing minimal gameplay. They aren't being active, they aren't progressing the game and engaging with its mechanics, they're standing there. Staring at a survivor, waiting for a teammate to come and try to save. That's the same kind of scenario that the devs are trying to avoid here, based on their wording.

So, factor in the slight buffer area to compensate for players who want to game the system (while acknowledging there's always going to be players that play as little as possible, so it can't be too large; Kindred's aura reveal zone is pretty intuitive here), and the slight buffer for making sure survivors don't have to be absolutely on-point to counter it if killers are outside the new zone... and you end up with something like what the devs proposed here.

Now, I'm not saying this number is perfect. I can't say that, I haven't played with it yet. What I'm saying is that theoretically, in an abstract sense like we're talking about it now, it makes total sense for the number to be bigger than what is strictly considered facecamping.

• Seraphor
    edited May 2023

The killer could go after the one survivor they can see at 15m and initiate a chase with them... rather than standing still at the hook and waiting for that one survivor to come closer.

Depending on LoS blockers and whether or not the killer is undetectable, it may take coming to within 10-16m for the rescuing survivor to discover the camper and then leave again.

• Seraphor

Which is typically during endgame (when this is deactivated) or when other survivors are nearby (when this slows down, and means those others survivors aren't gaining anything from it).

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Member Posts: 256

Does this mean the end of basement bubba?

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

I'm talking about when 2-3 gens pop during your first chase. If the game is gonna be remotely competitive after that point you're going to have to force a trade or two or secure second stage. It punishes killers without mobility or an instadown especially.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

No. How often do you see recently unhooked survivor make it out of the basement with Bubba? It will probably be less likely because there won't be other survivors in the way to even try slowing down Bubba for a hook trade. You'll also still get the survivors that want to attempt unhooking their teammate and feed themselves to Bubba or the solo survivors falling for Insidious Bubba. Anti-camp does nothing to camping Bubba.

• Coffeecrashing

immediate still means directly next to. There are other immediate directions, like directly to the left of the survivor, or directly to the right of the survivor, and all the other 360 degrees the killer could be, and still be directly next to the survivor.

• duygu
    duygu Member Posts: 333
    edited May 2023

except here, they clearly said what they think face camping is:

Face-camping is a term used to describe when a killer stands in front of a hooked survivor and refuses to move, or do anything really, usually for a large portion if not the entirety of the match.

a mechanic to address facecamping.

they're punishing all forms of being near a hooked survivor which will be a gigantic nerf to every single killer except nurse.

you can argue as much as you want whether this is a good change or a bad change, but it's essential to clarify what is actually being argued.

• jesterkind

All forms of just standing next to a hook, not all forms of being near a hooked survivor in general. We already know they plan on this system lessening if you have a reason to be in that area, because there are other survivors there, so if there's a reason to be around a hooked survivor the worst case scenario is that you're less punished- and if it's that worst case scenario on the PTB I'd be pretty reasonably sure it'd get changed before live.