We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

lets discuss why are camping and tunneling considered bad?

Options
124»

Comments

• Skill_issue
    Skill_issue Member Posts: 542
    Options

even streamers with thousands of hours do it to get the 3k more often than not (not that there is anything wrong with that)

• Eleo
    Eleo Member Posts: 25
    Options

That's an answer to "do people playing tournaments play with or without comms" not whether or not it qualifies as cheating within the context of the actual game. Tournament's aren't a construct within the actual game, you can make up whatever rules you want.

When they add comms to the actual game, then it will no longer be cheating. Game doesn't even have basic text comms in matches, but it does in post-game? Confirmed for not part of the actual game's design. Why is this even a debate lol

• SweetbutaPsycho
    SweetbutaPsycho Member Posts: 156
    Options

Its considered bad cause 1 survivor is literary taken out of the game and can do nothing against it when all they did is lose 1 chase. They might have queued for 10 minutes, got into the game were found immidiately had a 15 second chase and then could do nothing but stare in the killers face for 3 minutes while hitting the ocassional skillcheck. Then they need to requeue.

Also DBD is very famous for either side feeling that something is super unfair. The game in their minds is designed as a 4 vs 1 game so when u make it a 3 vs 1 ahead of the appropriate time u are breaking the rules in their eyes.

Thats not to say that tunneling or camping isn't necessary sometimes. I've had games where after a 40 second chase 3 gens were gone, when I hooked the survivor the 4th gen was gone. Happens most of the time with very efficient swfs, that are on comms and perfectly coordinate.

Here most of the time camping and trying to bait out their altruistic side is ur only bet to even have a chance of winning. Bet on them to try everything to save their friend and possibly get a 1vs2 trade and try to snowball off of it.

Or u have hooked the survivor in the middle of the final three gen. Theres literary no reason to leave now and you would throw the game if you do so.

But theres also the killers that just camp to make their game easier and not because its necessary. They won't even try to down someone else or get into chase but just stand in Front of the hook with 5 gens left and hope that the survivor dies when maybe 2 gens are still left and they have an easy game from then on. Thats the playstyle most ppl have a problem with since it makes the game artificially easier for the killer in their eyes. Here the killer isn't even trying to win the game in the designed way but just camps and then snowballs of it. If the killer remotely knows what they are doing and there is more than one gen left its very hard to win against. It is a very unfun playstyle from the survivor perspective cause first u stare at a gen for 3 minutes doing nothing but hitting skillchecks and boring urself to death only to then immidiately get completely rolled once the camped or tunneled survivor dies.

So to sum up imo ppl consider it bad cause it Breaks the Balance of the game in their eyes and is unfun for the survivor it is done to and sometimes the entire team. Is it necessary sometimes? Absolutely! Is the camping update a bad idea? For solo queue survivors that are just camped cause killers want to have an easy time with a 3 vs 1 no. For swfs that are so hard to win against anyways yes cause now it will be nearly impossible ti win unless u brought a strong killer on a decent map. So its pretty much a double edged sword imo.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,231
    Options

There's nothing 'wrong' with tunneling or camping, just like there's nothing 'wrong' with genrushing. Both are the most efficient tools to secure a win and if one side wants to try and win, they're gonna use them.

The issue is that they're not really very fun to play against. Survivors hate being tunneled and camped because they feel they're not able to 'play the game', and killers hate being genrushed because they don't feel like they're able to 'play the game'.

Someone isn't a bad person for using the most efficeient strategy to try and win, the fault lies in the developers for making a game where the strongest ways you can play are also the least fun.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,256
    Options

The official DBD Discord Server has SWF voice chat rooms.

• Gummy
    Gummy Member Posts: 25
    Options

Camping and tunneling isn't comparable to survivors doing gens. You can make a generator regress from 99% to 0, you can't unkill survivors. Survivors are real people, gens are not. Camping in end game is fine imo there's nothing else you can do unless you're overly polite like me and go to check the gates.

Can we please retire the phrase "gen tunneling"?

• nodforkiss
    nodforkiss Member Posts: 120
    Options

if you are tunneling and camping and dont care for other peoples feelings, I think you should stop playing games. with that kinda attitude, you will have no friends irl.

• MDRSan
    MDRSan Member Posts: 298
    Options

Circling back to the original post, it's one thing to say gens are going too fast and another to determine how fast they should actually be able to be done. The game isn't designed for survivors to be able to outlast the killer indefinitely and adjustments to generator speeds probably don't scale linearly with kill rates. (and they definitely don't scale linearly with percentage based regression perks)

• Melinko
    Melinko Member Posts: 291
    edited August 2023
    Options

The reality of life. This is a game and people play it to have fun.

Killer mains need survivor mains or cues go up and eventually the game dies. Unless you just want to play against bots all the time. So many people playing this game forget that there is 4 other people in the lobby. I've seen comments from killers after slugging and bleeding out an entire lobby that "I got the 4 k".

Things that make the game unfun are bad for the game as a whole. Sure, tunneling is effective but if you tunnel a player out and they have a miserable experience and stop playing or DC and get the penalty and then go find another game you damaged the game as a whole.

I'm guessing anyone posting here likes to play the game, so avoid doing things that damage it. A good killer can lose a few gens, and not face camp or even proximity camp hooks/unhooks and still get a 4K. The difference in those matches is, the survivors never feel like they are out of the game. There is a back and forth flow that is fun for everyone. That keeps everyone engaged and ready to cue again.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,847
    Options

You are my fav type of killer to face. One who understands the role.

Make no mistake it is just that too, a role and there is nothing wrong with playing the role.

Be as mean as you can and I'll try my best to flee from it like its a real horror movie.

Anything less only emboldens the weak.

• OneNineTwoNine
    OneNineTwoNine Member Posts: 49
    Options

Have you all ever considered that maybe people genrush more now because of the tunneling? That perhaps because people get removed from the match so quickly, you HAVE to rush gens to even have a chance of escaping?

I've been trying to play survivor in other ways, trying out fun builds, but believe me every time I feel like I have to run perks to focus down the gens as quickly as possible because no matter how altruistic I am trying to save the guy getting tunneled off the hook, the killer does not give two shits about letting them have a chance.

Alternatively I can be selfish and throw the match because I'm trying to have fun, and then get reprimanded by survivors for not helping them.

What do you expect survivors to do then? There is literally nothing else to do than rush the gens in that situation. I'm not saying genrushing isn't happening in situations where killers aren't tunneling, for what it's worth. But tunneling definitely makes it worse, and I think it's important to think about that.

• thisislastyearsmodel
    thisislastyearsmodel Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 636
    Options

It's very unfun to play against. That's the whole issue.

However, a fair number of killers are essentially forced into it because of how weak they are.

For example, I'd put money on it that if you played ten clown games where you rotated and 3-hooked each survivor and ten games where you juggle two survivors and leave the others for last, the results for the latter could be interpreted to suggest that clown isn't desperately weak.

Bad map design and killers lacking map pressure ending up weak go hand-in-hand. IMO you can't fix one without addressing the other.