New maps have been added to the Mapping the Realm section! There is now a thread covering each map.

We greatly appreciate everyone who takes the time to share their feedback with us.

Spitball Concept - An Axiom of Fear - Killer Environmental Objective/Hook Incentive

Basic premise is to give an environmental objectives to Hooks for all Killers to make Hooks be less "samey".

Hooking a Survivor "Awakens" a Hook

The Killer can "Commune" with the Basement Shrine of Sacrifice and can Teleport to any Awakened Hook (That has not had a Survivor on it for at least 8s).The Awakened Hook then becomes Dormant.

The Killer can "Commune" with an Awakened Hook (That has not had a Survivor on it for at least 8s) to trigger Killer instinct on all Survivors in a 24m radius for 8s. The Awakened Hook then becomes Dormant. This can be performed on the Shrine of Sacrifice which will instead trigger on all Awakened Hooks in the Trial.

So long as there are at least 4 Awakened Hooks, when the Killer "Communes" with the Shrine of Sacrifice, they also have the option to "Consume". All Survivors are Exposed for 60s. The Killer also gains the effects of the Ivory Memento Mori. If the Killer has "Consumed" twice, Survivors are permanently Exposed, and the Killer gains the Effect of the Ebony Memento Mori.

Comments

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,726
    edited May 2023

This sounds almost like 2 good ideas for Scourge Hooks:

1. The teleportation effect (perhaps combined with the 24m killer instinct effect).

2. An effect that, so long as a survivor has been hooked on a Scourge Hook once, is given a constant exposed effect upon being rescued on their second hook, with a Mori being able to be performed on them once downed.

• Riski
    Riski Member Posts: 196

A neat concept but a few issues. Firstly an objective concept like this would always need massive mechanics overhuals as suddenly the goal of the game has changed for one side as playing for this is a win conditon (namely the exposed). As someone else said this could work well as a sourge perk or maybe even a power (perhaps a clutist loyal to the entity or a executioner for criminals brought into the realm) however my critism will focus more on the idea of a base mechanic.

Firstly however are the things I like:

• I like the utility added to base killer which could allow for some more niche perks to shine and additional use for basement to help make the game more interesting.
    • I also like basekit moris being introduced here as a natural way to achieve them (a reward for showing devotion to the entity) as a way to make them feel more important.
    • A somewhat personal thing, I like how the infomation side of this could be used to deal with stalling on the survivor side as that can be a rather dull experience. Similary a lot of people have issues with map size on low mobility killers which the teleport could also be of use to these players. Both of these applications do feel like bandaid solutions to an extent however.
    • The final effect for 8 hooks is a nice insentive for going for hooks over kills if not a bit difficult to get.
    • Promoting the use of many hooks makes killers use more of the map instead of staying in one corner to camp/3 gen. Simialrly forces survivors to consider where they went down and encourarges them to split up less so the killer awakens less hooks.

And my issues:

• Teleporting often wouldn't be worth it on most maps because by the time you walk to the basement you could of most likely just walked to the hook it self. I do like this from the idea of giving a benefit to basement hooking that doesn't encourage camping but you could use it to camp and then instantly teleport elsewhere onc your done to make up for lost pressure. It also doesn't make much sense for some killers to teleport in terms of flavour as that is a very super natural effect (why is trapper teleporting he doesn't have magic or fancy tech).
    • Killer instinct sound neat but is exclusive to powers for a reason. Killer instinct often has additional conitations for some killer powers such as full condem, someone being near victor or someone cleansing a portal which is infomation the killer wants to understand as quickly as posisble. If I hear killer instinct I should instantly know what it means and it's not unreasonable for some of these to overlap with the shrine of sacrifice effect.
    • 60 seconds of exposed for hooking 4 survivors is insanely good and would allow for a lot of snowball. A killer like wraith, deathslinger or spirit could easily win the game of one proc of that and if you do get two procs of this you might as well win the game. Perks like Noed and haunted ground triggering are potentially game winning only being heald back by either inconsistent or unoptimal timings so giving killer control over and affect like this is a bit much and the permient exposed could just be used for uncounterable camping situations.
    • As a final issue this does give infomation, chase and mobility to killers which would discentivise the use of perks with these effects and encourage the use of slowdown perks which are already some of the most used, hurting perk veriety. I did say it could allow for more niche perks but that does come with the assumption that killer players wouldn't use it to make their best builds more powerful.

Adapting these concepts elsewhere could be a good idea but having them base would probably be too disruptive to the game as a whole and lead to quite a few problematic interactions. As someone else said scourge hooks could work (after hooking 4 survivors on scourge hooks apply 60 seconds of exposed, hooking on a scourge triggers aura reading on all hooks for a duration, after being unhooked from a non-scourge hook it becomes a sourge hook) or perhaps a power of some killer (a cultist/priest prepares the hooks like preparing a ritual, a bloody executioner gains power from using different hooks and fufilling his job ending in him being able to behead/mori). Overall good ideas that probably should be apllied elsewhere in game.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 949

Thanks. The goal is to provide the trifecta of a Information/Mobility/Lethality power-up for getting Hooks. If a Killer is already strong in one area, they can either use the side-grade for flavor or convenience, or use the other aspect to make up for a weakness (EG: Trapper using the Teleport). And yes, while not explicitly stated, the goal is to have people assume this is the "win-condition" of the game, over just securing a 4K at any cost. Still isn't necessarily the only "win-condition", as it's best to kind of leave that up to the players to decide.

To your criticisms:

Teleporting often wouldn't be worth it on most maps because by the time you walk to the basement you could of most likely just walked to the hook it self. I do like this from the idea of giving a benefit to basement hooking that doesn't encourage camping but you could use it to camp and then instantly teleport elsewhere onc your done to make up for lost pressure. It also doesn't make much sense for some killers to teleport in terms of flavour as that is a very super natural effect (why is trapper teleporting he doesn't have magic or fancy tech).

True. Perhaps allow teleportation between two Awakened Hooks. Consuming Both. Still keeping the ability to teleport from Basement at the reduced cost of 1 Awakened Hook. (So it becomes circumstantial).

It is a bit supernatural, and may highlight more of the presence of The Entity as a 3rd party in the Trial. Though I can certainly see why that would be a point of contention.

Killer instinct sound neat but is exclusive to powers for a reason. Killer instinct often has additional conitations for some killer powers such as full condem, someone being near victor or someone cleansing a portal which is infomation the killer wants to understand as quickly as posisble. If I hear killer instinct I should instantly know what it means and it's not unreasonable for some of these to overlap with the shrine of sacrifice effect.

Very true, and the point of this whole "power-up" thing with these Awakened Hooks is to give a universal Power.

60 seconds of exposed for hooking 4 survivors is insanely good and would allow for a lot of snowball. A killer like wraith, deathslinger or spirit could easily win the game of one proc of that and if you do get two procs of this you might as well win the game. Perks like Noed and haunted ground triggering are potentially game winning only being heald back by either inconsistent or unoptimal timings so giving killer control over and affect like this is a bit much and the permient exposed could just be used for uncounterable camping situations.

Ah, I do not know why I didn't type that in, but the assumption is that the Exposed would "fall off" if a Survivor is downed. So no Quad downs. (However the Ivory/Ebony effects persist).

• As a final issue this does give infomation, chase and mobility to killers which would discentivise the use of perks with these effects and encourage the use of slowdown perks which are already some of the most used, hurting perk veriety. I did say it could allow for more niche perks but that does come with the assumption that killer players wouldn't use it to make their best builds more powerful.

Hooking a Survivor is slowdown. It's esoteric, really esoteric, but it splits other Survivors off of Gens, and if the Killer isn't camping it gets more Survivors off of gens.

But you're not wrong in that these changes would make it feel like a Killer is lacking slowdown, which might prompt them to take more up-front slowdown Perks.

However that's also kinda the problem anyway right now. Most meta Perks revolve around instant-gratification. Lethal, Nowhere to hide, etc. Things that people can work off of immediately. And that might just be an issue iwth Perk design.