We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

So... FOV slider, when?

Options
Xernoton
Xernoton Member Posts: 5,012
edited May 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Can we please get some word from the devs? Is something like this in the works, do you even consider it and if not, why? I appreciate the visual TR as much as the next person but really it gets tedious looking through a Pringles can while playing killer.

Apart from that, there are players that can't play killer without using Shadowborn because of motion sickness and while this doesn't affect me personally I get disoriented quickly when not using it. Also, accessibility options should not be locked behind perks.

Comments

• Göch
    Göch Member Posts: 113
    Options

How often will this topic get spammed? Theres like 20 active threats about this....

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,506
    edited May 2023
    Options

This topic is easily ignored cause Killer Vision is tied to balance and gameplay.

No way bHVR willingly wants to mess with the game's balance unless there is a big push for it.

How about we all set a date, when they say its the PoV day, they day we push bHVR for POV the whole day

get as many streamers in on it, twitter, tiktok, reddit the whole party... we make 1 push to show how many we are who care about it.

After that, I think it would shift in priorities for bHVR.

But this also means, you have to suggest a reasonable implementation, SO what is the reasonable implementation for free PoV?

• Göch
    Options

Spamming is these posts is not the way to go, im sure they saw the posts, apparently they didnt want to take a stance, like with most things that are asked here, it is what it is. Trying to sell this as an accessibility option when such a super small minority of people is affected is IMO the wrong approach. Its clear people want it for gameplay purposes, at least be honest...

• Emeal
    Options

Spamming posts does not move it up the system, but like every week I guess there will be taken a report to the whole team, so we know PoV WILL be in there, but if bHVR has no good idea on how to implement or will to see it done or they have another idea in the works in 1.5 years, then they wont.

So we as players should unite and move with a single voice, but I don't even think the people in here this thread can agree on an implementation that could persuade bHVR. People dont ask those questions, like:

What does the minimum POV option look like that does not bring too much balance into the unknown and can we move united to bHVR with that idea? Any takers?

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,215
    Options

All of the accecibility features implemented before were made for a small minority of players, and some of them like the visual tr gibe a gameplay advantage, in fact I will be fully honest I do not have any hearing problem but I use the feature since its almost free spinechill.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,962
    edited May 2023
    Options

Actually spamming these posts is the way to go. How do you think dh, camping, colorblind mode, flashlight clicking, visual heartbeat, spirit, ds, Basekit bt, all got changed/implemented? The devs just had a news flash?

Post edited by HaunterofShadows on
  • Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,205
    Options

Better a post about this than 5 more about tunneling or camping.

• Göch
    Options

No, the devs shouldn't follow suggestions based on who cries the loudest.

• EternalRique
    EternalRique Member Posts: 114
    Options

No shade but thoughts like this.. is why DBD falls behind nearly ALL of the other multiplayer games; numerous multiplayer games with legit big esports that make millions in legit tournaments have ALL of the accessibility options people are asking for.

It is 2023; the fact that Dead by Daylight doesn't have an FOV slider, You legit can't even choose 120fps if not on PC (it's locked at 120fps as well which in 2023 is another issue), Where are the graphic sliders where we can choose texture quality/distance quality/etc (we can on PC). My point is making excuses for that in 2023 looks very silly.

People don't get better cause they don't demand better and when people demand better, folk like you think it's an issue. So many options this game is missing in 2023 is crazy.

• MasonOliver123
    MasonOliver123 Member Posts: 255
    edited May 2023
    Options

We need a Fov slider cus it hurts my eyes :)

• Xernoton
    Options

I specifically asked for a reply by the devs so that we CAN finally stop "spamming" this. If there is no comment from BHVR, how are we supposed to know, if they even consider it or if they are aware of this issue? Until we get an answer, this is the way to go. Make more and more threads and show them, that this is in deed something players want. And considering that it is an accessibility problem and BHVR have reworked Spine Chill for exactly that reason, this really should be on the list of priorities.

I won't argue that it doesn't affect balance as that would be wrong but the question is, how much? I've seen some people claim, that a FOV slider completely removes the chance for survivors to hide, which is simply not true. A wider FOV does not allow the killer to look through walls or around corners. It only makes it harder to sneak by the killer when they would easily spot you just by slightly turning their camera anyway. Considering that the devs implemented the new survivor HUD as a quality of life improvement and had no issue with that affecting the game's balance, I believe this really shouldn't be a big deal. Also keep in mind, the wider your FOV and the more you see, the easier it is to miss something. The worst that could happen would be for some killer players to have a free perk slot, that they shouldn't have to give up for Shadowborn as an accessibility option in the first place.

I have little expertise when it comes to motion sickness and I will not pretend otherwise, so I do not have an answer that is guaranteed to please everyone. But I reckon that there should be an option to tune the FOV anywhere between 87° (normal FOV) and 102° (Shadowborn FOV) as it seems to solve the issue for most players, alternatively they could add different options like 87°, 92°, 97° and 102°. If you or anyone else have more expertise in that area, I would be happy to hear your contributions and work out something more specific.

I don't care how we make BHVR aware of this issue as long as we don't harass them. The most important thing for me right now is that they actually respond in some way so we can either stop making threads and pleading for something that's never going to happen or are reassured that they'll look into it and tell us more in the future. I think everyone would fine with an answer like: "We are aware of this issue and will look into it but we cannot make any promises yet." The radio silence on this matter is not helping anyone.

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394
    Options

Then survivors also should get fov-slider bc survivor's view is limited and too "zoom-in"

• Xernoton
    Options

I am not against an adjustable FOV for survivors, though I am not sure, if this is necessary. As far as I am aware the survivor FOV has never been an issue.

But the part about an option to zoom in is out of the question. That is not what a FOV slider is used for. If someone purposefully wants to limit their FOV too see further for the entire game without actually seeing things they shouldn't be able to see however (stretched res) be my guest.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,194
    Options

We were told by a dev that the eruption nerf got a boosted priority because it was a "hot topic". This means that if multiple people want to each make their own post about FoV sliders.... they absolutely should do that, because "hot topics" might get boosted priorities.

• Göch
    Options

Yeah but buffed erruption was around for a short amount of time and caused a big uptick in complaints by everyone, the FOV is like that forever and most people are absolutely fine with it.

And don't tell me those "accessubility feature" people wont be the first to set FOV to minimum mid match after beeing blinded from a sick angle. Or even better, the whole new discussion about "why can i with my 120° FOV be blinded from such an angle? CHANGE FLASHLIGHTS!"

• Xernoton
    Options

First off, 120°? That's the normal human eye range without eye movement. We're currently at 87° but for most people I think 102° will suffice.

By the way you can already blind the killer from outside their FOV and I don't see many complaints about that. BHVR could even set the flashlight angle to be fixed no matter your FOV, if you are scared killer players would purposefully handicap themselves to make blinding a little bit harder. But I guess that wouldn't be fine either because then you couldn't actively punish people for using an accessibility feature.

• Orthane
    Orthane Member Posts: 364
    Options

I have found that Shadowborn is basically required in all honesty. Killer FoV just needs to be increased by like 7 tbh

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,143
    Options

As often as it needs to get some kind of response from the devs?

would you rather have more pointless ‚us vs. them‘ topics or people asking for cross progression, tunneling/camping nerfs, SWF nerfs, etc - where we actually have official dev responses to and still more threads than accessibility requests?

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 1,975
    edited June 2023
    Options

After doing some basic research, for PCs an FOV between 90 and 100 is recommended, so 87 is a little short.

For consoles, approximately 60 is recommended, and this due to the difference of distance from the screens.

One thing I will say for the feather in the cap of allowing modification of fov, the fact certain perks increase your field of view is a little weird...

I am actually the other way, I don't want my fov increased cause the lense like effect causes my brain to do more work and makes me uncomfortable... so that means monitor and abuse is a no go perk, even if I want the other effect.

I personally don't see the problem allowing modifiable fov to the industry standard limits (fov 170 and alike is just for advantange, not motion sickness). For balance concerns I'd say just prevent auras from being read outside the normal fov.

Might be a slight advantage seeing people hide round corners, but that's still requires being mindful of those locations anyway and anyone paying enough attention isn't really at THAT big a disadvantage. Furthermore having flashlights hit you at wider angles would be a thing, it means a less optimally placed survivor can still get you, so that's a reasonable trade off.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

Actually, the big difference is the number of survivors sided voices on these forums is way higher than the number of killer sided voices, so eruption got way more complaints. There weren’t “complaints by everyone”. We clearly had a bunch of killers using the perk, so they were obviously ok with it. It’s just that it’s so easy for survivor issues to become hot topics, that people assume it’s proof the survivor issues are more important.

Similarly, the reason why it seems “most people are absolutely fine” with killer FoV, is because it’s a killer issue. It’s kind of like how “most people are absolutely fine” that we have a forced short m1 bug, that can steal hits from the killer…… because the bug hurts killers, so the majority of the people on these forums are fine with it staying in the game.

• Göch
    Options

There were more than enough killer players that were saying erruption is busted and needs to change. Not everyone is blind on his second eye and only plays one side and hates the other one. Theres enough people out there with reasonable takes for both sides, but speaking up for or against one side will always let people think you only play one of both.

I play surv more but i still play killer for sure but i play enough killer to have an opinion about it, and i dont think the FOV needs a change. Its part of the 1st vs 3rd person immersion that the killer has a limited FOV so you have a chance of mindgaming him and "disappearing" outside his FOV, even if just the last part of you scratchmarks is outside the fov and allows you to win the mindgame. If you suddenly make this aspect worse a big part of surv gameplay gets a heavy nerf, not everyone is a 5k hours tight looper with perfect pathing and map knowledge you know. There's a reason people sacrifice a perk slot to run Shadowborn.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

“Survivors not knowing what what other survivors are doing” was supposed to be a core game immersion, but that got changed….

Just because something was intended years ago, doesn’t mean it needs to stay that way forever.

And yes, we do have a lot of people that hate one side of the game. How else can you explain the lack of outrage on the forced short m1 bug that can steal hits from killers? Do you think it’s “healthy for both sides of the game” for a bug to steal hits from the killer? When this bug steals hits from the killer, do survivors think it’s exciting? Do survivors think they’ve “outplayed” the killer, when in reality the killer got outplayed by a bug stealing their hits?

• Göch
    Options

Yeah mate because survs not knowing what others do only affected Solo Q, and the whole intention behind it was to bring the level of Solo Q vs SWF closer so its more managable to adjust the strengh of killer/surv without ######### over either Solo Q or Killers.

I explain the lack of outrage towards that "bug" that it is more of a skill issue, you can pretty much avoid it most of the time.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

It doesn’t matter why BHVR broke their immersion rule with the Survivor HUD. The important thing is BHVR did break their immersion rule for survivors, so they can also break their immersion rule for killers.

And let’s be super honest that the lack of outrage is because the bug favors survivors. The forced short m1 bug steals a lot of hits from killers, every day, and has been for a long time. And we have many survivors that are purposely trying to get this bug to occur in their games. The game shouldn’t be stealing hits from the killer, due to a broken double validation system.

• Xernoton
    Options

"Being affected by a bug is a skill issue." ~ @Göch

Wow. That is definitely a hot take. I can't even argue with that logic (if one can even call it logic) because the very concept of cause and effect doesn't seem to apply in your world.

I can say however, that what you stated before is wrong. A survivor is not dependent on the killer's 87° FOV to mindgame and escape the chase. If that was the case Shadowborn would be the strongest perk in the game. By a huge margin. You can still break line of sight with the killer and because they can't see anything they wouldn't be able to see anyway by slightly turning their camera they will still be unable to spot you. If your "mindgame" has to rely on the killer not turning to look in the general direction you went, I would argue that mindgame wasn't all so great to begin with.

This is not a nerf to survivors and it is not meant to increase the killer's height by 8 ft to allow them to see survivors over loops or give them free aura vision through walls. It is a change to allow players, who need it to play killer without sacrificing a perk to an accessibility option. Just like the change to Spine Chill and the visual TR were implemented to no longer gate keep an accessibility option for hearing impaired survivor players.

• Göch
    Options

Yeah but being hit 3 steps away from a window is completely fine on the other end right? You are aware that the Hitreg/netcode whatever you want to call it favors killers pretty heavily so this m1 "bug" that happens once in a blue moon is not even worth talking about. Talking about the game "stealing hits from the killer" while 2 out of 3 killers you play against have an 8x on their melee weapon due to their ping.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

It’s called server validation, and it’s considered the most fair way to determine hits, for survivors and for killers.

And the forced short m1 bug steals hits very often, and it is worth talking about. If you honestly don’t think the bug is a big deal, then it should be fine if it’s fixed, right? After all, if it’s really as rare as you claim, then you shouldn’t even notice or care if it is fixed, right?

• Göch
    Options

Why would i care if this bug is fixed? What are you on about lmao. I just told you why i think the isnt a big uproar about it.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

Your reason is incorrect though. The bug happens a lot, and many survivors purposely try to get the bug to happen. The lack of outrage is because the bug favors survivors.

• Göch
    Options

First you accuse me of sth i never said, now you just keep repeating yourself, i think we can end the conversation here since its not even the topic of the post.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 2,831
    Options
  • Coffeecrashing
    Options

If someone asks about an FoV slider during reddit question time, will BHVR respond, or does "we want to answer as many questions as possible" exclude this topic?

• Emeal
    Options
  • Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,143
    Options

I am expecting this question to be asked a lot

so hopefully we can get some mind of response!

• Alen_Starkly
    Alen_Starkly Member Posts: 998
    Options

I am lucky that I don't need an FOV slider, but I've seen many streamers having to use Shadowborn, because the default FOV makes them nauseated and/or gives them headaches. I think everyone deserves to be able to play the game normally without suffering or having to waste a perk slot to be able to play without health consequences.

Shadowborn is considered an F-tier perk anyway, right? It doesn't really give much advantage. The more user-friendly this game is, the more players you will have, and the more satisfied people will be.

FOV slider, V-sync, Resolution option and Frame Rate option is what a super popular game like DBD really needs in *2023*. Please, devs <3

• Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,221
    Options

Yes. Give everyone larger FOV. Stretched res for survivors should return. Otherwise don't do anything in this regards. Wall hack for both sides, or ideally for NO SIDE