We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

balancing an asymmetrical game is impossible

Options
omelette
omelette Member Posts: 72

i dont get it why you want to balance this game when its asymmetrical. I laugh at the thought of it. you're just going to hit a dead end if you keep it up there is no way you going to get a 50/50 balance unless this game was symmetrical.

Comments

• Sylhiri
    Sylhiri Member Posts: 178
    Options

You should have told the devs that when they started, could have saved them a lot of money and kept all the wonderful features people enjoyed.

• MikeyBoi
    MikeyBoi Member Posts: 531
    Options

DBD has never been more balanced, it mostly just boils down to experience in dealing with good survivors from a killers pov. I mean reducing the survivors fov to make it harder to check stop at jungle gyms/shack, main buildings and certain loops so the killer can catch up to them easier would be crazy……..right….like really stupid…..there’s no way….right?

• illNicola
    illNicola Member Posts: 482
    Options

Yes, it's possible. Like @Seraphor said, on a micro level maybe is impossible, but on a macro level is highly possible. The most important thing is: buff and nerf things with the same soul on both sides. Now bhvr has nerfed all gen regression, without nerfing gen progression, so now the game is unbalanced since gens can fly and killers have nothing to defend them.

It's simple to balance an asymmetrical, simply you need to balance things with the same soul on both sides to prevent one of the two sides from subduing the other without difficulty, making their objective fly without the other side having equal defenses (or in the case of dbd I dare say superior since it is a 4vs1)

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    Options

In my opinion it's not possible to balance everything, but you can always try to find a healthy and fun balance for most players.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,813
    edited June 2023
    Options

They nerfed healing the same time they nerfed regression. Healing and regression are counterparts, they each undo the partial progress of your opponents main objective.

In fact they nerfed all healing, while they only nerfed three regression perks. Three regression perks I never used anyway.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    Options

Certainly possible.

I primarily play board games and most of them are asymmetrical with being very well balanced.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

This is what I have seen....in many asymmetric games is that to balance it the players have to understand what that means......you have a Power Role which is always The Single player....and weak role is the Many players.... usually 4 players.

The power role will always be a overwhelming force that the weak role has to work together to overcome. But when developers start giving the weak role more power then the balance will shift dramatically.

VHS is a prime example of that shift. In the beginning it was fairly balanced but after Devs listened to the The Many itade The Many stronger than the Power Role....

BHVR needs to take a deep look and make good choices or DbD could fall like VHS...

• AMOGUS
    AMOGUS Member Posts: 474
    Options

Nah, DBD has too many licenses, they're not going to fall anytime soon.

And VHS was never balanced, nor was it ever balanced "towards the many" in it's lifecycle. They buffed monster very slowly over time and added mechanics like Busted that should have been added far earlier, and even reduced slowdown... but only under certain circumstances.

The real reason they died was because of devs who didn't listen to anyone outside of the Discord and a community constantly silencing anyone who dared propose major changes to the flawed gameplay. People did not like slowdown and how good monster gameplay promotes a hidey, campy playstyle, yet they didn't want slowdown changed in the slightest and thought that "nuh uh, monsters just have to outplay the Teens! Pay no attention to streamers saying on how making riskier plays is more exciting!". Something on how "t-t-t-then the Teens can't kill the monster!!!" (Which is why the game should be changed accordingly, duh.).

• illNicola
    Options

Ok, you didn't understand a thing of what I said. They nerfed 3 gen regression? Bro count well how many they have nerfed.

Healing and regression aren't the same thing. If you compared the healing nerf with Thana nerf I would agree, but since healing and regression are different I can't agree with this. If you let survivors rush their objective, without giving the killer ANY defence, how in the hell this is balanced?

You can nerf all healing, but if survivors can genrush the game is still unbalanced

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,813
    Options

They nerfed Pain Res, Call of Brine, and Overcharge.

Three.

If you mean further back than the last patch, we're getting complicated, because a ton of things have been buffed and nerfed, and added, over the course of the past several years.

• illNicola
    Options

From August until now they nerfed every slowdown without nerfing toolboxes, bnp and probe thyself. Balanced isn't it? Nerfing slowdowns without nerfing things that speed up gens is pure unbalance.

Now I don't even play with slowdown, simply they aren't effective anymore, I'm trying to play with devour hope and undying, but it's hard since now 2 gens can pop in like 30 seconds without anything the killer can do to prevent it from happening.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,128
    Options

I think you are right, you can't ever prove an asymmetrical game is balanced in the sense that both sides always have the same chance to win and it's all a matter of skill. When it comes to dbd skill is just one factor of many. When it comes to something like a 1v1 fighting game skill is one factor of a few. For this reason i do not treat DBD like an esport.

I believe blaming yourself on losses in this game all the time is simply self destructive.

But then again you could also make the argument that even in fair games people are limited by their genes.

Just treat yourself how you want to be treated i suppose.