Skull Merchant > Singularity

Options

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I think SM is a better killer than Singularity. After suffering through playing Singularity all week, I gave SM another try and my first game back as her was so nice. I actually felt like my power wasn't completely useless. Yes, survs can easily disable drones but the haste and information from claw traps is a nice trade off.

With Singularity, if they disable a pod, you get nothing for it in return. You're truly an M1 killer. What's worse is you can see a gen about to pop on the other side of the map and can't do anything to stop it. At least with SM the added haste makes it a bit more feasible to get over there and interrupt the progress.

Also, being able to recall drones remotely is a huge help. Makes no sense why you have to fire another biopod at one to remove it and get it back. This makes strategizing with pods much more difficult than it should be.

And no, I wasn't even trying to go for a three gen. I was just playing casually but still felt like I had a chance unlike with Singularity. Hopefully the EMP nerf will help, but I'm not so sure it will.

Comments

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,013
    Options

In their current states, I agree.

Though with the right adjustments Singularity will be the better killer, but right now he's just too easy to completely shut down.

• patronsaintofpizza
    patronsaintofpizza Member Posts: 97
    Options

Yeah, I agree. In theory, he should be very strong. But right now, nah.

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

Yeah, I actually do think his power is fun. But the EMPs combined with the clunkiness of switching between his body and biopods makes SM much easier to play for me at least.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,358
    Options

In terms of strength I agree, that SM is better than Singularity. Her power can't be completely disabled by the press of a button at least.

When it comes to how fun they are to play as and against, I think Singularity still wins. If you don't care about results the new killer is quite fun to play as and from I've seen most people seem to enjoy playing against it as well. SM on the other hand? I swear, I'll cut off my right hand before I play her again in her current state. I despise that killer. That is just my personal opinion though.

• KenwanObinobi
    KenwanObinobi Member Posts: 185
    Options

Design wise, singularity is way better, it brings a new way to play the game for both sides.

As of performances, SM is stronger but she is broken atm...

• BlueRose
    BlueRose Member Posts: 658
    Options

I will say after playing since Tuesday I also find SM more fun than Singularity. At least I can get 3ks with chase SM more often even doing the first-week release than Singularity. This week all matches have been 4 to 3 escapes and others gotten 3 to 4ks once in a while. In fact, I can count how many 3+ks, on one hand, this week as Singularity. I am kinda depressed about this fact bc I wanted to enjoy this new killer so much since I love his design.

• BlueRose
    Options

Glad you think so. I rather play a killer if a low-skill floor than a killer who is so hard and stressful that I feel completely defended after every match. That is how Singularity makes me feel. I don't even make losing as long as I'm having fun but it isn't fun having to replace pods and re-infect everyone every few secs.

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800
    Options

at least he doesn't bore me to death and make me wanna reconsider my life choices i rather a weak fun killer than a strong dull one and snooze merchant neither strong nor fun.

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

I don't understand why people find SM boring to play when she's pretty much like most other M1s. Do you find Freddy or other M1 killers boring as well? If so, then that's fair. If not, why? What about SM makes her so boring compared to other M1s? Genuinely curious.

• BlueRose
    Options

They found her boring bc they refuse to her like a normal m1 killer. In a lot of people minds the only way to play her is to defend a 3 gen when that not remotely true. I personally play a chase builds with her and have a torn of fun doing so. It just ppl are lazy and don't want to try new things when it proven that it's one way can get them wins even if it's boring.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,534
    Options

Because her two effective playstyles are Totem Defender and 3-genner.

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

I feel this 100%. Like of course your first few games you aren't gonna do great because you're learning the killer. But after several days of playing the killer exclusively and still feeling like you can't get consistently fun matches, you have to wonder if the design has some flaws.

• BlueRose
    Options

Yeah like with all the other killers I didn't start out great at all. The first few days of each new killer I would have a mix of games where I lose or win and by the weekend I started getting more consistent with them. One killer I remember fully is Artist. I sucked so badly as Artist and didn't make much progress with her for the first 2 days but after a while started learning tricks and things I could do to get hits with her birds and now I have a full grasp on her power as well as other killers in the game. Then you have our new boi who still now being day 6 of playing I have not gotten any better with him. Every match feels the same and I get nowhere with him at all. Having a killer with a high-skill ceiling is a great thing bc it allows a lot of room for improvement but having a killer who also has a high-skill floor isn't great. No one wants to work super hard to just get 1/2 way decent at a killer. Eventually after losing a couple of days and feeling like they haven't improved at all ppl are going to just give up and play an easier killer. There is a reason why Billy has such a low play rate compared to other killers...

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

I never use her to defend totems and don't try to force 3 gen situations and still have decent matches. But I know I'm clearly in the minority of people who enjoy playing her so *shrug*

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

This TBH. People basically mimic what their favorite streamer says about a killer and leave it at that. Oh well. I'll keep playing her and having a good time doing it.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

Which is also the case for singularity as long as EMP exists lol

Singularity ultimately just does what skull merchant does, but with order of magnitude worse performance.

• Pulsar
    Options

I'm right actually, but how about this.

If you place her Drones if 4 corners of the map, away from everything, will you get your power(s)?

• Pulsar
    Options

Eh, not really no.

EMP's are getting significantly nerfed soon.

He definitely can defend gens, but he's also pretty damn good at cutting off choke points and he's got a killer anti-loop.

• Pulsar
    Options

So, how do you get Survivors to interact with your Drones if you aren't putting them on gens or totems?

• mustdogen
    mustdogen Member Posts: 356
    Options

I totally agree with you.

I mean SM at least has her ability.

And the update for her actually give her some chasing potential.

• miniwengsel
    miniwengsel Member Posts: 376
    Options

With SM you can easly get great results, because you kill your Survivors mentaly until they just want to die. Singularity instead is fun to play he just needs some EMP changes here and there.

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

I mean, you still put them at gens but that doesn't guarantee you're gonna get a 3 gen unless you're purposely trying to get a 3 gen. And even in that sense, survs can still strategically try to get gens done that won't result in a 3 gen. It's really not that hard to avoid a 3 gen. Of course you can't gen rush in that case, which is probably why survs cry about getting into a 3 gen against her. They plow through 4 gens without any attempt at a strategy and then wind up in a 3 gen situation.

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

Uh. So does SM? You drop a drone at a loop and the surv pretty much has to leave it otherwise they get exposed and they're giving her haste. With Singularity, even without EMPs, you can still use line of sight blockers and just pre drop pallets to avoid him insta breaking them. His anti-loop isn't that strong.

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

I hope you're right that all he needs is EMP changes. I like his power, it just isn't that great in its current state.

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

Do you really think every time a SM drops a drone at a gen that they're trying to force a 3 gen? That's like saying any time a Trapper or Hag chase a surv off a gen and then surround it with traps that they're trying to force a 3 gen. Just because that's how you would play her doesn't mean that's the most effective/only way to play her.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,840
    Options

I'd take 10 Singularity games over 1 SM game tbh

• fulltonon
    edited June 2023
    Options

It doesn't matter, he definitely doesn't have good chase power so his real power remaining is cross map traversal, which just doesn't work with EMP because there is still enough EMP to disable pods near the generators, no matter how much they nerf it.

Which forces him to keep 3 gen closer and manually replace drones, because otherwise he is powerless killer for most of times and he is not even good at chase if he managed to use power, ultimately making him just a worse skull merchant.

• BlueRose
    edited June 2023
    Options

I like to add something after I finish my games as singularity today. At least with SM I have some idea of what I'm supposed to be doing on her. Drop few drones on gens(doesn't mean I'm protect a 3gen I just dropping them on gens at the beginning of the match) and save my last drone for loops since I run the two purples where one slows a survivor down when entering a drones area and the other makes me break things faster when in the area.

As the singularity I still don't know what I'm supposed to be doing with his cameras. You can't use them near gens bc of the emps and you can use them in chase but the time it takes to shoot, pod a survivor, and teleport to them I could just hit them normally. That not even counting the fact if they have a emp they just erased what I just did and I have to do it again. Seriously I can't down anyone fast as this killer. By the time I get one down I lose one to two gens. Also I feel like I should play him like plague also since his infection can spread to others but even that feels like a waste of time since they can just emp them off so easily.

At the end of the day at least SM has a clear cut power that you can easily build on and get better without feeling like you completely suck unlike Hux where I feel so terrible after I match I lost it and I don't know what I done wrong. It's day 6 and I feel no more closer to understanding this killer.

• Pulsar
    Options

So....you just threaten to lock people into 45 minute games in order to get them to interact with your power?

If you aren't defending an area Survivors want to get to, you DON'T get ANYTHING from your power. You HAVE to put Drones on gens or Totems in order to get Haste.

"it's really not hard to avoid a 3-gen" yeah, right. Unless the Killer decides they want a 3-gen. Or until you get teammates in Solo Q.

• Pulsar
    Options

Excuse me? He doesn't have a good chase power?

75% faster pallet breaking, vaulting and built in Spirit Fury isn't a good chase power? Right.

• Pulsar
    Options

Are you actually arguing that Dull Merchant isn't her strongest while holding a 3-gen?

Likewise, there's at least the threat of a 3-gen because if there wasn't, the Survivors would just go do another gen. Her power sucks unless you put Drones somewhere that Survivors HAVE to get rid of them or else they'll be locked in a stalemate forever.

Appreciate the insults though.

• fulltonon
    edited June 2023
    Options

Yes, it isn't, and definitely not for the effort of triple hoops.

Those two (or three) power is literally everything he have during chases, he isn't even good at closing gaps, I'm pretty sure he is definitely weak side on all the chasing powers.

• Pulsar
    Options

He has catch-up ability, he has extremely fast pallet breaks, vaults so that you don't gain distance and you can't even stun him because he's guaranteed a hit.

I understand it's a bit difficult to achieve at the moment, but to call that a weak chase power is, quite frankly, unbecoming of someone with your experience.

• fulltonon
    Options

And all that will easily be countered by MfT itself, or even just pre dropping, overclock is extremely short to the point it barely manages to get survivors even in straight line.

It doesn't really matter how fast he is fast at breaking vault or windows, because by that time most other killer power already gets the hit.

just "achieving it" is actually not so difficult, what's difficult is achieving it without using pods (keeping them infected), which doesn't really change unless EMP itself actually became limited.

eventually he could be decent as a slowdown killer like pinhead/pig, definitely not a good chase killer.

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

Aren't all killers strong at holding a good 3 gen? Of course it's a strong strat as her. I'm just saying that's not the only way to play her, and she can be played in a fun way.

But I'm just gonna stop replying to you now because apparently if I disagree with you, I'm "insulting" you...

• patronsaintofpizza
    Options

All great points. But sadly it's no use trying to argue in favor of SM. The groupthink of the DBD community has already declared her boring and only good at holding a 3 gen and the Singularity is an A tier killer.

• Bloodwebs
    Bloodwebs Member Posts: 250
    edited June 2023
    Options

I'm with you on this. I have pizzas to heat in my oven instead of be in 1 DbD game for an hour >.<

• Pulsar
    Options

No, not all Killers can hold 3-gens indefinitely.

DM's power allows her to win the time war against Survivors in 3-gen scenario. It's completely beatable, but only by a good team with coordination over a period of about 30-45 minutes.

No decent team is gonna stick around that long.

You don't have to play her that way. Like with Bubba, you CAN just not use your power and be an M1 Killer. I've yet to see a non-3gen or Totem Defending DM. My shortest game with her so far as been 20 minutes. I've got other things to do rather than play hour long matches

• BlueRose
    edited June 2023
    Options

You are right and I will be honest I would even stop trying to talk to Pulsur. He is such a closed-minded person and you never going to get anywhere with him on a topic you two disagree with. My mom and dad have a phrase for people like him "Would argue with a STOP sign." Like I get ppl don't like SM but there a lot who do so how about just go away and having your own little "we hate SM club house" I know I enjoy her a lot more than Singlarity right now bc I can play and get result with her and you know to use her power meanwhile I'm not allowed to use Sing's power since there an emp in every survivor's hands at all times....

PS Im just happy I can't see his messages anymore since I blocked him on here. He never says anything interesting anyway.

Post edited by BlueRose on
  • Pulsar
    Options

You are allowed to enjoy Killers. I enjoy Legion.

Does that mean I think Legion is designed in a good way? Nope. Is he still enjoyable for me to play? Yup. These things are not mutually exclusive.

As much as you may enjoy Skull Merchant, you cannot deny that she is an extremely problematic design that needs a LOT of work. There's a reason she's absolutely despised by a majority of the community, with some of those people taking it way too far. I am trying to prevent another SM-design disaster.

And for the record, I'm open-minded to good arguments; I simply haven't seen any evidence that SM has a better design than Larry.