If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

So what killer playstyles are directly encouraged now?

Options
IWasLeft2Die
IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
edited July 2023 in General Discussions

It does seem like a lot of killer strategies have been pretty much removed or greatly discouraged (gen defense, hook defense, etc) which I think can be fine if there has been buffs to encourage other strategies (make hexes more feasible, making killers able to track more effectively naturally, able to chase more effectively naturally, etc) but I haven't seen a whole lot designed to buff those areas or to make them a greater possibility besides "well you cant really defend hooks or gens now".

Anyone else kinda want more playstyles encouraged directly rather than indirectly?

Post edited by IWasLeft2Die on

Comments

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

All playstyles are still possible there is just less to them.

That's basically what it boils down to less mechanics resulting in less interaction.

More built in perks that result in less perk variance and less variability in games.

Ce la vie is it going to ruin or kill the game... no.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,640
    Options

you know what is funny? Nicolas cage's new perk Plot twist counters corrupt intervention. It put you into dying state which automatically disables corrupt right at the start of the trial.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

you know what is funny? Nicolas cage's new perk Plot twist counters corrupt intervention

Don't you have to be injured to use Plot Twist?

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,640
    Options

yes you need to be injured but you cannot leave after you injured someone in risk that your perk gets disable for spreading injure pressure....

• crogers271
    Options

Playstyles aren't meant to replace the hooks mechanic. The goal of other mechanics is to slow down the survivors goal, not set it back completely. That was the problem with the gen defense, it didn't just slow the survivor goal, it pushed it backwards.

Things like Pop and Pain Resonance can still do that quite well, but you actually do need to hook survivors to pull it off.

The nerfs of CoH and Dead Hard did something similar to survivors, they can still slow down the killer's objective, but being they are weaker they are really forcing survivors to do gens.

• crogers271
    Options

It doesn't seem to be a big risk.

The scenario as killer is you are chasing someone who is injured and see an opportunity to go somewhere else:

1: If the survivor you have injured doesn't have Plot Twist, you are fine

2: If the opportunity is really juicy, it's a worthwhile trade

3: If the timer on corrupt intervention is mostly used up, doesn't matter

4: If the other survivors are already on other gens, doesn't matter

5: If you find the Plot Twist survivor before they get back up, a worthwhile trade

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024
    Options
  • UnavailableName
    UnavailableName Member Posts: 298
    edited July 2023
    Options
  • UnavailableName
    UnavailableName Member Posts: 298
    edited July 2023
    Options

I guess BHVR will be able, at one point, to release a perk that allows you to one tap a gen 😂

And release some cool Feng skins with it that survivors entilted mains can buy

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,344
    Options

Plot Twist can only be activated while injured.

So, not really likely.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,344
    Options

Few pub games are unwinnable, I'd really love to see gameplay and try to help you out.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937
    Options

As someone who hates corrupt intervention I know what I'll be doing lol.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,067
    edited July 2023
    Options

I've been playing *a lot* of killer the past days and fared pretty well with a "chase, hook, chase again - never overcommit, don't bother to kick gens for pressure"- playstyle (playing Nemo with the brown zombie speed addon, Lethal, Bbq, fear monger & Jolt. Sometimes removed BBQ and Jolt and put in Spies and Iron Grasp - for them horsey people that periodically seem to appear in hordes). In other words: the quicker you find survs and the quicker you can end chases the better you fare. Whenever I didn't 3/4K was when I overcommitted to someone or had a little too much fun playing the ducking game with a surv around a difficult to M2 structure. (And Lerys-- just don't get the layout, always get lost/stuck)

On surv side I also noticed a lot of aura reading: Lethal, Floods, BBQ, Bitter Murmur, NTH and Gearhead (was so surprised to not see it more often after it got changed - now its almost common) all being rather popular. Killers more often refuse to run strong structures if they don't have the upper hand. You beeline to stack or main - they beeline to a different survivor. (I do the same as killer; only once I built enough pressure and can afford to waste an additional 20-30 seconds on shack/main I commit there.)

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,329
    Options

Gen defence has not been removed, nor is it punished. They nerfed a select few perks that pretty much played the game for the killer, and acted as a substitute to any actual skill. There are still plenty of gen perks that are completely viable as long as you actually have enough game sense to use them properly.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,121
    Options

I mean in fairness it's the "your fun isn't my responsibility crowd" who are to blame for all of the basekit buffs survivors have received. These types of players went out of their way to tunnel immediately of the hook, three gen, and facecamp to the point where the game was miserable for average players who aren't on a coordinated team.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,325
    Options

Anything that is a variant of chase. That seems to be what is being is being encouraged and desired if you go by the changes made to the game. If you go by what the most vocal folks are saying then it ranges from only standard looping chase to "lol killers should just stand there".

It would be great if more playstyles were directly supported and experimented with directly.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,040
    Options

In what way is gen defence no longer viable? There haven't been any nerfs to legitimate gen-defending perks since 6.1.0, to my recollection, they've only tackled the obviously overpowered/unhealthy stuff that needed to be changed. You can very much defend your generators, you just have to put a little effort in.

As for hook defence, I'm not sure how that's a playstyle? All they're aiming at so far has been people standing by the hook and not moving, which is the opposite of a playstyle, you aren't playing the game if you're just standing in one spot and not doing anything. Patrolling routes near hooks hasn't changed, intercepting survivors you see going for a save hasn't changed, downing a survivor that goes for a risky save is only changing insofar as you don't get to down them and keep the person on the hook... there's either been no changes, or the changes are aimed at pushing killers not to facecamp.

I'm also curious about your examples listed- why would killers need to be able to track and chase better without using perks? Those perks exist and they're good, they'll give you plenty of value. If you want to play for tracking, bring tracking tools. If you want to play for chase, bring chase tools. If you want to play for stealth, or misdirection, or anti-heal, bring those tools. They exist and not all of them even need to be buffed. Part of the issue here is that people seem to think killer's basekit is inadequate, and that they need a bunch of slowdown so they can tunnel out one survivor or they're helpless, and that just isn't true. You've got a lot of viable stuff to use, so experiment!

The only thing I can agree with is that hexes could use a little love to make them a bit more viable, but I would hesitate to call that enabling a single playstyle. Hexes do different things and support different playstyles depending on their effects.

• IWasLeft2Die
    Options

For the examples piece I wasn't saying those specifically need to be added in, but it is a shame that killers haven't gotten anything basekit additions while survivors have also gotten several basekit additions (Deliverance, BT, and some expect unbreakable to be basekit although I doubt unbreakable). There are some killer perks that would be totally fine basekit (corrupt intervention for example) but all of this is kinda outside the scope of my original post.

For gen defence, it's not just that gen defemce perks have been nerfed but several gen perks for survivors have received buffs since then.

As for hooks I disagree. At this point it seems pointless to even be near a hook. If you are near it the survivor can unhook themselves and/or another survivor can unhook the survivor without a grab. The fact that you can't realistically defend a hook when 3 survivors are standing near the hooked Survivor makes defending hooks pointless. I agree facecamping is a problem but now there isn't much reason to be come back to a hook, even if the entire team is by it.

I'm not even arguing for the game to be easier for killer or anything like that. I think you fan still get 4ks as is, but it's becoming a game where you have to play the same strategy or two in order to accomplish much of anything. I feel like in the past there was a lot more evariety in playstyles but now it's mostly just do the same general things with every killer.

• IWasLeft2Die
    Options

Yeah I know that is the aim with then limiting other playstyles but I wish there was more that directly complimented that playstyle while also still allowing other playstyles (even if they are much less effective it would be nice if they were viable).

• IWasLeft2Die
    edited July 2023
    Options

Yes and no. I'm not saying just hang out and facecamp a survivor but if the entire team is swarming a hook there isn't much reason to leave the area, although now you night as well since the survivor will either unhook themselves or you hit a survivor and a second survivor takes the follow up hit so all of them get out without a hook trade

• IWasLeft2Die
    Options

Man I really think no mither should give BP bonuses to your teammates since it does typically puts them in a bad spot

• crogers271
    Options

You win the game I guess?

The survivor is now bringing two perks, one of which will be useless after this strategy, the other which will ensure they remain injured for the entire game.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

I am just wishing to see my teammate perks in lobby, like DbD mobile. So i can dodge No Mither survivors.

It's not popular perk thankfully.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 965
    Options

I still try to go for max hooks , however if survivors wants to play scummy using "MFT - pre-dropping non-stop" I will not hesitate into taking someone out of the game as soon as possible , even with the cakes , that perk makes me sick.

• Ebonbane2000
    Ebonbane2000 Member Posts: 150
    Options

I think 'No Mither' is the only reason they won't let us see our teammates perks, lol.

• DredgeyEdgey
    DredgeyEdgey Member Posts: 1,276
    Options

Skull merchant mft has basically killed any other play styles you need speed to counter speed

• H2H
    H2H Member Posts: 640
    Options

The only killer play style allowed is “do what survivors want, then lose”

• DredgeyEdgey
    DredgeyEdgey Member Posts: 1,276
    Options

Thats the neat part there aren't any

• nars
    nars Member Posts: 1,124
    Options

Theres no encouraged playstyle just a bunch of ones you arent supposed to do.

• No camping
    • No tunneling
    • No 3 genning
    • No stacking 4 slowdown (because theres not 4 slowdown perks that are viable together on most killers)

All thats really left is hit and run, which ironically is weaker because MFT makes getting the down harder. But the medkit nerfs and CoH nerfs easily counterract that.