Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

So the bots are not going to replace suicides?!

VirtuaTyKing
VirtuaTyKing Member Posts: 465
edited July 2023 in General Discussions

We have all been there. Someone gets hooked and instead of being patient letting the team progress gens they just kill themselves.

Now from a killer perspective having seen first hand how good some of the bot's can be this also concerns me.

I've seen them very bad too and still be more helpful to the teams goal than many are.

Comments

• VirtuaTyKing

People do it instantly sometimes. Fairly often actually. If not dead they go straight to stage 2. Not talking about any other example of that.

I'm not on ptb but I would expect the same hook states.

• Green_Sliche
    Green_Sliche Member Posts: 635
    edited July 2023

Devs need to rework self-unhook mechanism.

For example, make it so survivors get 1 token for every 33% of first hook phase that has passed, which can be consumed for 1 self unhook attempt. If self unhook fails, nothing happens and survivor continues to stay on hook until another 33% have passed. Once first phase has passed, survivor just enters the second phase after which player can just refuse to do skill checks which would result into 5% faster state progression instead of sudden death.

This way if people don't want to play at all, they can at least stay on hook and give some time to other team mates.

• Evan_
    Evan_ Member Posts: 545

That's how you turn the game into single-player for the least appreciated killers, builds and tactics.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

?

People who hook suicide often would no longer be allowed to dc as often.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,583

I'm pretty sure the game can track how frequent someone kobes. That combined with multiple reports should lead to harsher punisment. Think about how other games handle this. There are a lot of games that will not allow you to dc in the middle of the match and there is a punishment for throwing the game or being afk as well.

That is in my opinion how BHVR should handle this situation too.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    edited July 2023

Why do people punished for using existing game mechanics? that's stupid.

Do not implement a thing that will be penalized for doing, just remove it.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564

And this will be nerf for luck builds? Actually not even nerf, your suggestion is just removing them.

Instead of reducing variation, we must find another solution.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Luck builds like just having 4 luck offerings?

Or Luck builds like equipping specific perks to unhook yourself?

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

But offerings affects all players? So just because you did not bring perk, why we are not getting value from offering?

If offering is also gives you chance to unhook yourself, then i have no problem with your suggestion.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,583

That's like saying: "Why do I get punished for abusing X bug?" It's an existing game mechanic after all.

In my opinion they can remove it alltogether but then we'd have to look at luck offerings, Slippery Meat, Up The Ante and Deliverance again. Punishing players that obviously use this as a means to leave matches faster is the easier solution.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Thats a bit borderline. If those survivors are in a SWF. Then sure. No problem.

Solos however, the chance is really low, that they want to make use of the offering of someone else.

• MDRSan
    MDRSan Member Posts: 298

Bugs are unintended game mechanics. Failing 3 self-unhook attempts is designed to work the way it does intentionally.

‘The problem isn’t the mechanic, the problem is a specific player intent behind using it in some instances. You can’t solve that without reading their minds so it’s between leaving it as is, removing it and harming the other use cases along with the ‘bad’ one, or play edge case whack-a-mole where you create some complex system to try (and usually fail) to compensate for all the instances where you would want to allow it.

Punishing a player for following an on screen prompt (and something the tutorial specifically shows you how to do) is a bit much.

• Phyrqc
    Phyrqc Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2023

Removing DC penalties is an awful idea. Stop trying to push for it. Don't queue in the first place if you're this easily willing to abandon your teammates. Bots are meant to be bandaids, nobody wants to play DBD with AI mates.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

What about instead of shortening the hook timer the penalty was something else? A movevent speed penalty stack for every failed attempt, and maybe have the ability to remove a stack through helpful team interactions - completing a gen, unhooking someone, completing the equivalent of a full heal.

Something punishing enough to still make it unwise to do it unless no other options exist, but also something you can recover from with team play.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,983

Remove hook suicides and then you will have a game with a false hope of winning, since that survivor player is not gonna try to win

I much rather them to die when they want to and I move on with another game as fast as possible

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,565

With how they’re being implemented, I really don’t see how they could.

A bot replaces a survivor the moment they disconnect, and then behaves (or tries to behave) like a regular survivor. At that point, for them to take over from a suiciding survivor, they’d need to be able to tell what the player’s intent was with trying to unhook themselves. Hell, they’d need to be able to tell and take over before the player can even try to forcefully leave the game.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

You want the devs to make bots spawn when a player dies? Seems awfully unfair.

• Pluto_1
    Pluto_1 Member Posts: 337

No because a DC is ambiguous. The server can't be sure why it happened. Killing yourself on the hook is a choice that the server can determine. If you suicide then you've abandoned your team. No replacement bot should be allowed here.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904
    edited July 2023

Removing DC penalties isn't a solution.

The penalty is a good thing because without it you get mass quitters who drop out the second they see anything they don't like.

Downed first, particular map, particular killer, an offering or lack of offering, you name it people use it to justify quitting.

Players who do that on a regular basis should be locked out of playing to dissuade the behaviour. Its a good thing.

Just because a bot may take your place with a DC doesn't just mean its ok to blanket DC. Also killer bots aren't really a thing yet so are we only giving a free DC pass to survivor players with this proposal?

The only way I see to prevent hook suicides is to rework how self unhook attempts affect hook timers. How to do that without taking away the risk/cost of self unhook or just removing self unhook altogether I'm not sure.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

All 5 players DC then we spectate the bots play with each others.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

I did not say remove penalties. I said i don't support this. I just said there is no solution for hook suicides.

Please next time read first and then reply me.

• Sava18

I mean simple bloodpoint tracker when out of chase after 25 seconds, over (to be safe) 100 hours. BOOOOOOM, people can't afk/ throw/whatever ect. I have said this 4 or 5 times and no one has responded because I guess it's usually directed at people who defend hook suicides and dcs.

League will suspend you for 2 weeks on a first time offence for saying a slur, afking a decent amount, leaving literally just twice.

But hey I watch vets on these forums defend suiciding/dcing like it should be a normal game play mechanic.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,209

It is a normal gameplay mechanic.

A couple days ago, I was the second to last survivor, on my first hook. The other survivor was spotted heading towards me for the rescue and had to run off. So I took my chances and successfully unhooked myself.

I ultimately ended up dying because the other survivor went dow, was slugged and the killer found me on an exit gate but still. The mechanic was used, normally.

So... should I have been punished for that?

Or should they just remove all opportunities to unhook yourself?

Get rid of Slippery Meat and Deliverance, Up The Ante and all luck offerings.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,123

BHVR would have to rework the self unhook mechanic and all the perks and offerings associated along with coming up with a system smart enough to tell if someone is suiciding on hook intentionally and turn said someone into a bot even though that person has technically already died?

That sounds like too much work and effort.

On a side note, DC penalty shouldn’t be removed. DC bots are a bandaid fix, not the solution to why people DC

• Sava18

Deli is fine the others have no place in the game anymore. I have unhooked myself twice when my teamates weren't able to get the save recently but I still don't think it should exist.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,437

Precisely why the best solution is to remove the mechanic altogether.

The 4% doesn't actually do anything "fun". Its a random chance mechanic that can suddenly make the match swing in the other direction, or give a survivor a free escape at the endgame, which is frustrating for the killer and isn't done due to any skill on the part of the survivor, just pure random chance. On top of that, survivors use it to effective "DC" without the penalty, thus screwing over their team, frustrating the survivors.

The mechanic should be entirely removed, luck reworked into a different mechanic, or removed entirely along with perks related to it like slippery meat reworked. Deliverance is totally fine, because it is something you earn and isn't RNG based, so that can stay. I'd argue you could enough buff it at that point by letting the person use it on a second hook too.

• xEmoGirlxAlexisx
    xEmoGirlxAlexisx Member Posts: 598

So u want to have a free Card to DC everytime u see a Nurse or Blight or get tunneled by a Killer ?

U always saying to me i have Skill Issue because i find Made for This broken ( it is even Pro Survivor and Killer Players saying this that the Perk isnt healthy for the Game ) but u want to see DC Penalties removed ? 🤷🏻‍♀️

if they would remove the DC Penalties Blight, Wesker and Nurse Mains just would play against Bots

We already had Times where the DC Penalties was removed for a short time and at this time the Game was awful to Play because u wasnt be able to Play the Game normal

I Think when the Bots are live the DC Penalties should be higher for Survivors so ppl dont DC everytime because they Think " Hey we have Bots now so i hv a free Card to DC ",

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    edited July 2023
  • clowninabout
    clowninabout Member Posts: 133

Why are people trying to "fix" hook suicides? Bots absolutely should not be used to replace people in this situation. They died, they lost their match end of story. Also you don't know if maybe they were trying to 4%, its a risk/reward thing. Plus it lets people get out of a game legitimately without penalty. I know its frustrating when a teammates lets go early, but that's their choice and we shouldn't be trying to force people to stay in a match.

• VirtuaTyKing
    edited July 2023

I didn't say bots should replace them. I'm pointing out this is an issue. More so than ever in my experience.

Not talking about situations where you might as well try to unhook.

People are blatantly doing it straight away.

I'm sorry but players can't only play a game when everything is to their liking or in their favour. Why not try to play and improve or help your so called "team" at least the best you can. What's the worst that can happen? You die in a video game. Big deal!

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,722

BHVR would have to rework the self unhook mechanic and all the perks and offerings associated along with coming up with a system smart enough to tell if someone is suiciding on hook intentionally and turn said someone into a bot even though that person has technically already died?

There's a lot of things in this game that would be hard to rework, the unhook mechanic is not one of them.

First, you could get rid of it totally and there wouldn't be that much you'd need to redo.

But you don't even have to go that far. This is all you have to do (which others have suggested): A survivor may not attempt to unhook unless they brought slippery meat, deliverance, or a luck offering.

I'll take it one step farther: or three minutes of the game have elapsed or you've been on the hook for 50s.

The problem is obvious - players who try to kobe from the start of the game ruin the experience for everyone. You can still allow it, just not at the beginning of the game.

Alternatively, you could remove/decrease the penalty for dcing if you are on the hook so a bot can take over if we really want to allow people to get out of the game.

It's just crazy that the game punishes one type of leaving the game, and even makes it void in the MMR ranking if it happens early, and the other is totally supported.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,494
    edited July 2023

Well if survivor takes all unhook attemps and does not do any skill checks on struggle phase. We can assume that is suicide 99% of the time. So maybe devs could make so that bot spawn but he is one hook away from death.