How does being merciful as a killer affect MMR?

MDRSan
MDRSan Member Posts: 298

One thing I’ve been curious about is how much MMR is affected by 8 hooking the group, but allowing escape. I generally do this as I’m plagued with the disease of empathy (probably from playing a lot of survivor as well). I’ve noticed that while I’ll sometimes get a match with survivors that play well enough that I need to step up the aggression (and death hooks are go), most of the time I definitely could 3 or 4K if I wanted to.

Is this accursed malady of sympathy and mercy getting me stuck in a cycle where I never progress toward more challenging teams? Like a catch 22, is not wanting to play in a way that makes me feel guilty keeping me from matching up with players where I can play the same way but feel evenly matched and thus, no guilt?

Note - I’m not talking about intentional tunneling or camping, more the explicit avoidance of the hook area and ignoring people going for the save kind of thing (I could just wait for a trade but don’t want them to get spooked). Hell, sometimes I’ll herd survivors who are glued to gens over to their hooked teammates, lol. I’m just terminally soft I guess.

Best Answer

• PotatoPotahto
    PotatoPotahto Member Posts: 250
    Answer ✓

If you 8 hook everyone and let them go this is a legit smurfing - MMR counts it as a big loss. It doesn't count hooks. More so, if you let survivors with lower MMR leave, your MMR sinks more.

So yes, if you do it a lot your MMR won't raise.

Answers

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

Yes, hard handicapping yourself will hard negatively affect your mmr(at least what you want from mmr).

• Nomade
    Nomade Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2023

Well, yeah it does. It also nerfs the holy hell out of your bloodpoints as well which really sucks. I always try to let at least 1 person go (sometimes even 2) if I absolutely dominate a game and the survivors dont do anything overly toxic. My thinking is that losing sucks no matter the side and it is never going to feel good, but, being a graceful winner and throwing the other side a bone makes losing feel a lot less bad. When I play killer I dont go out of my way to make the survivors miserable, I want the match to be fun, for as many people as possible so if im not being gen rushed and feel like I have time, I will go for chases, hooks and just in general give the survivors a fun match so that they can walk away thinking "that was a fun, no one got camped. No one got tunneled. and they even let one of us go".

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,123

This would work prior to the matchmaking changes where survivor queues took 10 minutes. However it will not work as much as it did now. You can also get a team above your skill level because a) enough people dodged them or b) there isn’t a Killer matching their skillcap queuing online. You can “throw” games, but it doesn’t mean that you will stay in the beginner player bracket forever .

If anything, I would say tanking your MMR would unintentionally push the survivors you let escape go further up the MMR ladder, they get destroyed by someone who is better than them and is playing to win, and eventually you meet them in your lobby again.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

As was said before, letting everyone go is just tanking your mmr, you dont gain mmr from escaped survivors.

I'm a very merciful killer, and often let people go (as yourself, I'm rather empathetic and also quite enjoy being friendly), and if I don't, then almost always either give hatch or gate to the last one.

My mmr is quite low and not increasing fast, which makes it so that my games are always manageable even if I bring meme or niche perks, provided I really try. I've found it to be a very comfortable and pleasant way to play the game, as the survivors are happy and chill (I mostly face casuals, and at some point they can tell I'm not sweating), I'm happy and chill (I don't need to resort to meta or camping or tunneling), and i can play all the perks I want.

Some people will call this out for "manipulating mmr to get easy matches", but I call it "I'm busy and have little time to play killer and improve, so I might as well make everyone happy and be chill". =)

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I dont try hard to kill, I like to do 8 hooks and wait for EGC to activate my end game perks. I miss alot of kill. And seriously, my games are mostly chill, and really easy.

• Nomade
    edited July 2023

That is definitely not true. I got one of my friends to try the game and not long after he started he was facing a group of survivors that clearly did not belong in his MMR, they gen rushed him 3 gens in less than 3 minutes. popped the 4th gen at less than 5 minutes and then spent a further 10 minutes flashlight spamming him, and having 1-2 of their team members run to the other side of the map, drop a pallet and do nothing but quick vault over it over and over so that it keeps making that loud noise. He could have chased those survivors around all day and not down even 1. Like I said before, when I told him that BHVR wont do anything to them even though their behavior was incredibly toxic and definitely unsportsman like he nearly quit the game. It really is incredible that BHVR will just let people act like that. It shows that they really dont care about the community otherwise they wouldn't have let the playerbase get so toxic.

• Nomade

It is possible. I wouldnt be shocked at all if this were the case either considering how bad the matchmaking is just normally.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

Definitely not true. I had myself pretty high in MMR. Pretty sure I was at or around the soft cap because I was often getting just straight nasty matches mixed in with my usual matches. Then I spent last summer pretty much being the ultimate friendly killer and bottomed it out again. Actually took it way too low and matches were frustrating for the opposite reason. I've got it built back up to a point that's comfy again where the survivors I play against aren't complete potatoes, but it's also rare that I encounter the four-man/four-minute SWF either. I pretty much play in the same manner as Hug described, only going max sweat when I get matched with particularly sadistic players.