Does Anyone Else Experience This?

Options
Wylrin
Wylrin Member Posts: 98

As a survivor, my ability to loop killers and extend chases is not very great. Kind of bad, honestly. But for whatever reason, the longer the game goes, the better I get? And I know for most people that would probably amount to learning the killer's habits over the course of the game, but I feel like my mind is running too fast in chases to really note anything.

So I've just been wondering what this could be. I've come up with a few possibilities. The first is that I'm very frugal about pallet-dropping in early to mid-game, since I figure most anyone else will use those resources way better than I will. But if there are few generators and/or survivors left in the trial, I view them as resources that aren't quite as sacred and that my noob gamer paws shouldn't touch. Another possibility is that I'm constantly trying not to bring the killer to my teammates, which if there are fewer survivors left and/or fewer generators that need to be avoided since they're already done, that gives me more freedom to do what I need to do. And I suppose another possibility could be that increased pressure of a potential escape (or just trying not to die) could be the boost I need.

I was curious if anyone else experienced anything like this when playing as a survivor. Or is it just me? I'm also kind of curious if I should be so stingy about "pallet-spending," if you want to call it that. There are games where I feel like I'm screwing my team over by going down quicker than I want to, but other times I just feel like I'm wasting pallets.

What do you guys think and/or recommend?

Comments

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

There's a good chance you are simply reading the killer better as time goes on. Understanding and remembering your opponents playstyle and tendencies is something both sides have in common and is one of the harder things in this game.

I am also with you on the not dropping things early. It's one thing to not use too many pallets early, it's another to not drop any out of greed. I find myself doing the latter my first game of the day.

• Wylrin
    Options

Yeah, that makes sense. A lot of it's probably subconscious. It just doesn't SEEM like I'm retaining much from chases, that's for sure, heh.

As for the pallet usage, I struggle with finding that good balance of refusing to touch them and just throwing them down. I think I just need more practice in chases, period, but it's hard to get that experience when every chase doesn't last as long as I'd like. That and I swear I mind-game myself 98% of the time and just end up right in the killer's arms because I thought they'd double back or something. XD

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,070
    Options

I would definitely recommend getting out of the mindset that resources need to be conserved. A lack of resources is a symptom of bad gen speed, not a cause of issues in the mid to late game.

"Saving pallets" is a pervasive talking point among streamers and players that has never really gone away, and I think it's bad advice for newer survivors. If your first chase goes for 3 gens and you use half the pallets on the map, you're still outpacing the resources vs objectives despite chucking pallets with reckless abandon. That killer has 1 hook with 2 gens remaining. The survivors have to massively fumble at that point.

The strongest thing a survivor can do is be chased and not go down. Have a chase that ends without a hook or a slug. The killer effectively did nothing while gens were worked on. If you burn 60 seconds and don't get hooked, nobody is batting an eye at shack pallet being gone. There are 2000 other pallets on the map.

The biggest thing I had to coach into players in comp was that greeding pallets and taking hits at otherwise safe pallets throws games. It doesn't make someone a good survivor. It's a bad play to take a hit at a safe tile.

Know when to loop, and obviously know how to position your camera and utilize check spots. But also know when to just chuck the pallet and force a break.

• Wylrin
    Options

I agree with a lot of the points here. Honestly, if generators aren't popping if a chase is lasting a decent amount of time, then there's probably no amount of skill or strategy to save the game there from a survivor perspective.

I guess my problem is anytime I drop a pallet, I just hear Monto playing as a killer going, "Thank you!" Because yeah, I'm aware that a lot of content creators really frown upon early dropping of pallets, but I'm also fully aware of those same content creators raising brows at greedy plays by survivors. So it just seems like a balance that needs struck, but I'm terrible at maintaining balances, especially in games.

It's probably just something I need to get a feel for. I've been having more luck lately using Head On and Quick and Quiet, honestly, because it opens up a whole new resource that can't be depleted, basically. But there are a lot of people who would have a conniption at the thought of risking going into a locker. So it's probably just contextual for every individual player and what happens to work best for them and, by extension, their team.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    edited July 2023
    Options

Uhh there are plenty of killers who are allergic to breaking pallets and just keep chasing you, so some you can reuse.