If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Family Sharing Library no longer works on DLC

Options
FeryGEN
FeryGEN Member Posts: 627

After today's update (7.1.2.), DLC stopped being distributed in dbd

24 votes

Not a Bug · Last Updated

Comments

• TruthTF
    TruthTF Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 4
    Options

My gf and I are on STEAM FAMILY SHARING. This means when one of us purchases a character (NOT cosmetics) that character is shared within the family sharing. It has been this way for years. As of now, she can no longer access any characters that I purchased on her account and vice versa, as I'm missing a few too. I owned all DBD killers and all by one survivor (Cage as she bought it) attached is a picture of her roster

Was this intentional? If so, why was this not mentioned in the patch notes? Thank you

• Fr3nchy
    Fr3nchy Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2023
    Options

I can agree, although for me its a family member not girlfriend, I’ll be keeping an eye on this post

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • redpandamaster
    redpandamaster Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2023
    Options

This may have also happened to me?

I all of a sudden lost my access

to the forged in fog chapter but I still have the cosmetics that I unlocked equipped which is so weird

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • TruthTF
    TruthTF Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 4
    edited August 2023
    Options

In all fairness she's my fiance and we are getting married in October. Definitely family :)

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • ySnakey
    ySnakey Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2023
    Options

Mine also stopped working... until yesterday morning it was working. I wonder if this is a bug or something official. I already tried to restart the computer and the account.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Asophrosyne
    Asophrosyne Member Posts: 3
    Options

'Stranger things' cast is not longer available for selection, despite using the roster earlier today.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,155
    edited August 2023
    Options

Can confirm this as well, was working until 7.1.2a

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • luna8383x
    luna8383x Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2
    Options

-steam

• the characters that I played with and leveled up to p3 are gone ( survivors and killers )
    • I purchased them I didn't cheat or hack the game
    • it happened to me a few minutes ago
  • Kayzomato
    Kayzomato Member Posts: 8
    Options

Latest Bux Fix update "7.1.2a" has broken all sorts of DLC Steam Family sharing functions. This is affecting everybody who has been using family share to use characters and unlock perks in this way. For some, the game is currently pretty much unplayable. Its been hours without a fix to this.

• Gettin_Jiggy_Wit_it
    Gettin_Jiggy_Wit_it Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Options

Playing on steam, also have a problem with DLC sharing, though my characters kept the perks of the ones that disappeared. Some skins are there, others are not.

• Brokenbones
    Options

Hey posting this here

Apparently it's not BHVR who has done this, it's steam

So this seems to be on Steam/Valve rather than BHVR.

• Yocrita
    Yocrita Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello all,

Same for me, my wife and I + my 2 children lost family shared DLC.

We really like this game but if I have to pay 4 times the same things, it's no way. Dead By Daylight business team has to understand that here all come from the same money pot and sorry to say that this one is not dedicated to DBD.

Hope this will be quickly fixed.

Thanks in advance.

• Slackrimosa
    Slackrimosa Member Posts: 28
    Options

The post directly before yours confirmed this to be a storefront issue. Have you tried explaining how your personal finances work to Steam Support?

• Drx4041
    Drx4041 Applicant Posts: 7
    Options

I don't believe them, library sharing has never allowed me or my friend to just share DLC by itself. Even BHVR's own FAQ about DLC written years ago says it's just not possible to do if you both own the game. I am being gaslit that this is steam's doing for some reason when the wording on that post is the same as it's always been for me.

• Straple
    Straple Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Options

Behaviors faq for the stranger things removal still says it should be available via family share on steam. The policy that Twitter post is referencing has been in place for a while… so hopefully it really is just a bug

• Luv2NotHateDBD
    Luv2NotHateDBD Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2023
    Options

I did a test today. My BF bought a copy of the Silent Hill DLC for his PC (I was sharing with him from my family account).

Pyramid Head and Cheryl were restored along with all of their progress, items, and skins (He just bought Maria).

It's also funny because sitting around the campfire still shows characters that I know longer have access to including their cosmetic.

Also, this problem seems to also includes PS4/PS5 account (This is per the comments on Steam Forums) so hopefully it's just a bug as a result of yesterday's patches.

• Penndragon
    Penndragon Member Posts: 4
    Options

This tweet is either uninformed or intentionally misrepresenting the situation. The page they're quoting from was created in 2014 and the text they're quoting was present on the page when it was created. It's not relevant to the current situation because library sharing has allowed you to use characters since the game was released, well after 2014.

This is likely a bug. If it wasn't, BHVR would have flagged this as intentional or closed the report, not flagged it as being investigated.

• Brokenbones
    Options

Ah, fair enough

It's a weird situation, but if this is true then it should be within BHVR's power to fix!

• Luv2NotHateDBD
    Luv2NotHateDBD Member Posts: 37
    Options

That last patch broke something, they are probably reviewing the changes to determineing the fix and/or working with Steam to see what's up with family sharing. It's only been a day.

I lost characters halfway through the day yesterday. Tere was no update from Steam, the only thing that changed was the DBD getting updated.

• Ouro
    Ouro Member Posts: 34
    Options

Mine isn't steam sharing related, i am just missing one DLC, I don't use family sharing so I am curious as to why all characters apart of that DLC are missing.

• NAERUUU
    NAERUUU Member Posts: 501
    Options

NEWS : This is not Steam fault, just an bug, would be fix

• Kayzomato
    Options

Still waiting on the fix. Has been more then a day now. It shouldnt be that hard to revert an update and actually take time on it this time.

• gnomomailgno
    gnomomailgno Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 3
    Options

I Hope that's a bug, cuz if isn't BHV will lose many players

• Sheridan_LT
    Sheridan_LT Member Posts: 417
    Options

This has been this way for ages, of course Twitter is loaded with misinformation as usual. This is a BUG that BHVR will fix, wait for the fix guys. VERY unfortunate 7.1.2a bug affecting only those who Steam Library share.

• Druzzt
    Druzzt Member Posts: 21
    Options

Well I don't think they want to exclude Stadia accounts again 😊 - and as long as you know it will get fixed things are fine, I believe. I think in these cases it is more important that someone from BHVR does acknowledge this as a bug in the first place.

Just my 2cents

• Yocrita
    Yocrita Member Posts: 2
    Options

I think business model of DBD was quite ok until now.

They earn money, players like me are happy to contribute by paying few dollars for the last DLC.

To sumarize: Something virtuous for everybody.

The only problem is for new players who have to pay 150-200 dollars to be up to date and also for a familly where you can have 4 players in the same house like me and you are supposed to spend 600-800 dollars. I don't know for the others plateforms but until now, on steam, family sharing was covering case 2.

There is many ways to fix this.

Wait and see DBD official answer.

Depending of the answer, I propose a #dbd_dead_september to show that we are not only wallets :).

• Kayzomato
    edited August 2023
    Options

I know. But the fact it has been more then a day and instead of just rerolling pre 7.1.2a and actually fixing it, they have to make us wait like this. Stadia can wait as its not the majority of the playerbase in the slightest.

• Penndragon
    Penndragon Member Posts: 4
    Options

Could be a bug on Valve's end. Like I said earlier, some of us in Otz's Discord noticed it only happened after Steam maintenance on Tuesday evening.

• diegaster
    diegaster Member Posts: 51
    Options

It's not a bug from Valve. You can see the DLC's you own on the Support page, when you click the Dead by Daylight game. There you will see in "DLC's you own" all the DLC's, even the ones that you got from family sharing, so yeah, it's not Steam's fault or caused by some maintenance or update in their ToS like some people said before

• Kieran_Griffin
    Kieran_Griffin Member Posts: 9
    Options

I hope this gets fixed soon, my friends are refusing to play the game now because they don't have access to their mains and/or leveled up characters. And I honestly don't blame them but yeah, it sucks.

• Nadeno
    Nadeno Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Options

Do we have any news from BHVR ? It's very hindering for people that use this mechanic :/

• gnomomailgno
    Options

But BHVR is sleeping or somethings?

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,305
    Options

Following Steam's weekly maintenance on Tuesday, players borrowing DLC characters via Steam's Family Sharing feature reported losing access to these shared characters, leaving only the DLC owner with access. This change is in accordance with Steam guidelines; if both players own the base game, DLCs are not allowed to be shared through Family Sharing.

https://dbd.game/44lMf2F

If you have purchased additional cosmetics for a DLC character which you no longer have access to through the in-game store, please be assured that those cosmetic items are still associated with your account and will be waiting in your inventory if you decide to unlock the character.

I have an update

• Kayzomato
    Options

yeah better get this sorted out with "steam" or your games dead

• Druzzt
    Druzzt Member Posts: 21
    Options

Just thinking about it - this is ridiculous (unless you exceed the amount of accounts that can do family share).

You just create a new account - family share with your main account and the account you actually do family sharing. Now you should have all DLCs back - and the game will never be "blocked" - as the your account is "free" the whole time.

So besides making people upset there seems to be no benefit doing this (and for Steam there is even less benefit).

Anyways, I believe this change should be reverted for the sake of history (as it always has been like this).

Again just my 2cents on this.

• dula_peep
    dula_peep Member Posts: 1
    Options

how are players meant to unlock steve and nancy again?

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,289
    Options

the policy has been like this for years from what I have gathered though yeah it explicitly states it this way, it did work differently before.

Can we be sure that this is now permanently staying this way, or is there still some investigation going on?

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,305
    Options
  • SixShotOcelot
    SixShotOcelot Member Posts: 121
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thank you for the information, quick question regarding additionally purchased cosmetics for shared DLCs.

If we have purchased cosmetics for a DLC lost through Family Sharing and have no intention of ever purchasing that DLC again, is there a way to get our Auric Cells refunded and the cosmetic removed from our account?

If so, what is the proper protocol to initiate this circumstance?

Post edited by SixShotOcelot on
  • gnomomailgno
    Options

#########? THE POLICY IS THE SAME, IS YOU THAT CHANGED THIS!

• Kofey_beffmertny
    Kofey_beffmertny Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2023
    Options

hi, I am distributing very strange things and dlc with family access that I purchased on my old account until you gave me a permanent ban, although I have never used cheats and I highly disapprove of any interference in the game, since you write that you left access to the dlc only to the owner, I require you to transfer all the dlc I bought to the steam account on which I now play, or unban my account on which I should have access, but which in fact is not....

Post edited by Kofey_beffmertny on
  • nugbones
    nugbones Member Posts: 1
    Options

Then why did it work differently for YEARS? This can only be due to a change on BHVR's end, and while certainly within their rights, I believe notice or at least acknowledgment is due if a change is being made.