Fall in Attitude of DBD Player Base

Options
PAntWill
PAntWill Member Posts: 19
edited August 2023 in General Discussions

Hey, just general opinions.

for record I would say I’m middle/average MMR. Almost 2500 hours across steam & Xbox. I play both K&S - about 40%K, 60%S

I’ve recently noticed a drastic change in the play style and attitudes of the DBD player base and just wanted to know if anyone has also or are you also part of the change and if so, why?

Camping & Tunnelling early game:

this has grown SOOO much. It’s become a regular when I play solo or with friends that 3 out of 5 games (even in a row) that the killer either Camps and tunnels from 5 gens or just hardcore pure tunnel vision tunnels. Even to leave current chase with an injured survivor to cross the map back to the unhooked (I know where they come from because of coms with friends) this is now more than the average game. It’s like it’s the go to strategy. Currently in game there is nothing (let’s be real) that can be done to stop this.

Survivors:

First down = DC or

First Hook = Kill themselves.

this was always somewhat of an issue, NOW it is everywhere in Solo Q. Bots are useless. They can’t even hit hook skillchecks (######### is up with that?!)

both sides have become anti-fun.

For me it’s worse as a Survivor. With all the nerfs over the last 18 months, (K base buffs, DS nerf, dead hard destruction, gen speed nerfs, flashlight nerfs, healing nerfs etc…) plus on top of the rise in C&T it just leads to boring, none rewarding game play.

literally none rewarding. If a killer doesn’t get a 4K, he atleast gets some BP. If a S is camped & tunneled at 5 gens, offerings, items & addons wasted, no BP, depip. Killers are not punished the same for losing so a S still gets the punishment in their actual game not just their gameplay.

Even the recent 7 Anniversary Event. Camping and Tunnelling was almost EVERY MATCH!

My issue and question is that this is not BHVR. This is the player base. I just want to know why? What happened? Does anyone else agree? Have you experienced this or have you also done this? No judgement if you have, just for information I’m curious as to why?

what’s happened?

Comments

• totallynotamegmain
    totallynotamegmain Member Posts: 452
    Options

Further on that nobody runs DS now that they can’t use it as a free win in end game and OTR is massively overshadowed by MFT

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    edited August 2023
    Options

I don't necessarily see MFT as a replacement for OTR. My main issues with DS and OTR are the deactivation conditions. They're fine if I'm being tunneled right off the hook. But they do nothing if I touch a gen for 5 seconds and then get in another chase. You're either forced to be cautious to the point of inefficiency to preserve the value or you run something else and take your chances. I usually go with MFT+DH+WoO+(something else) and tell myself I'm getting 5 gens out of a hard tunnel.

• totallynotamegmain
    Options

I dont either but I literally haven’t seen OTR since MFT came out, and nobody’s arguing with you about deactivations, i personally think it should have a 15-30 second timer that builds over time as you do said “conspicuous actions” mainly the problem with ds was that it was a guaranteed escape in end game as you could force the killer to hit you

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,542
    Options

BHVR changes perks cause they are used too much

Ruin, Pop, Corrupt, Call Of Brine, Eruption

Some of those were handled wrong (IMO), others could've been done differently

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

call of brine + overcharge skullmerchant... I'm still traumatized... 😭

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,542
    Options

I get it... I understand it

But the way they handled it was a bit underwhelming

Knocking the regression rates in half (more or less) instead of putting on a cap on regression or a different effect

• totallynotamegmain
    Options

some of these people be crazy fr… crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy. crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy.

• totallynotamegmain
    Options

The real issue is everyone is wearing these “DBD tinted glasses”

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,571
    Options

For me: I don't want every player to rush me with resilience and made for this....

I play pig.

I rarely tunnel, because it hurts my power. I camp a lot though. Problem is, what else is there. If you don't play a strong killer, you are screwed in the current meta. Maps that have always been a core problem are even worse with survivors moving faster. Gens also get done faster. I can totally understand that killers try to finish the match when they have the chance. Survivors do the same.

I agree with you. Both sides are very unfun right now.

Only exception is 4man swf, where you can relax.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Playing the game normally isn´t an incentive?

There is no perfect match. Where you get the best teammates, offerings, map, pallet spawns and the killer you like going against the most. So why do people still attempt to get the perfect combination? It makes 0 sense to me.

For example, earlier today i had a match as Huntress against a 4 man SWF. 3 of them were prestige 100 and the last one 69. I played with a meme build and one of them still suicided. They were all streamers. So i entered the twitch channel of one of them after the match. Turns out the next match they got a hacker. In order to report they stopped the stream to get access to the vod. So curious me, i watched the vod of my match with them and ohh man, they really weren´t short on insults for absolutely no reason at all. Like i played chill and even ate some blast mines, and their comments were insults and smack talking, even when they were losing. Fast forward, the next match they got after the hacker was a Huntress that let them bleed out at 5 gens.

So instead of having a chill match against a Agitation + Iron Grip Huntress, they preferred to suicide to go against sweaty players.

Moral of the story is, that sometimes its better to play your cards and have some fun. Instead of hoping for the perfect hand, while feeling miserable.

• spirit72
    spirit72 Member Posts: 227
    edited August 2023
    Options

So for whatever it's worth, and if it helps any: Over the past year or so(been playing since 2018, PS4 and PC), I've found myself with long periods of DBD play, punctuated by long breaks...a month or more. I come back from a break, and a couple of months later, I realize why I took a break, and go on another one.

Last time I returned about three weeks ago, it only took me a week and a half to remember why I had put it down last time. The reasons you noted figured largely into it. The game is really no fun to play most of the time anymore. And, I don't know that Alien is going to make a great big difference. Not sure when or if I'll pick it up again really. I'm having more fun playing through the Mass Effect trilogy for the umpteenth time, frankly.

• awustzdn
    awustzdn Member Posts: 317
    Options

Correct. The game itself is not an incentive. An incentive is a reward or avoidance of punishment. You are not rewarded for sticking out a losing match, and there is no punishment to avoid besides a short queue time.

The provided in-game goals for players of DBD are to grind endlessly to 1. get all perks on all characters to tier 3; 2. get through the battlepass for the cosmetics. Making the Korean MMO style grind more efficient matters to people, and one-hook suiciding is a tool that gets you to favorable grinding conditions faster.

• totallynotamegmain
    Options

crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy. crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy. crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy.crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy. crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy. crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy. crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy.crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy. crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy. crazy? I was crazy once, they locked me in a room, a rubber room, a rubber room with rats, the rats made me crazy.

• Tsulan
    Options

Having fun? No? Not an incentive?

If someone doesn´t has fun with the game and constantly dcs/suicides. Then it would be best to take a break. No harm in that. Just take your time, play something else (i heard civ is a great game) and come back after a few months with new energy.

Its better than constantly ruining the game for everyone else.

• awustzdn
    awustzdn Member Posts: 317
    Options

You've missed my point, which is that there is no objective mechanical reason for solos to not hook suicide. "Fun" is subjective and is not a factor.

Perhaps you should consider Civilization 5 yourself. You look like you could use a break from the forums at least.

• Tsulan
    Options

So playing a game for fun is not a reason?

Then why play in the first place? Just to ruin everyone elses fun?

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options

People ragequit when they aren't having fun. Some amount of DCs/AFKs/kobe attempts are always going to happen, but if it happens at a greater frequency in specific scenarios, those scenarios are likely the root cause.

I've seen people hard DC/AFK/kobe attempt at a 300 latency Huntress hatchet hitting them around a corner/through a wall, Skull Merchant, Nurse, Wesker getting the bugged grab instead of slap at vaults twice in a row (which is fixed now), being facecamped, getting flashlight saved 5 times in succession, going down because they hid in a corner against an instadown Killer, and more. Most of these can't be fixed by players, but can be fixed (or have been fixed) by devs. A small percentage of these DCs are strictly 'skill issue' DCs, aka the consecutive saves/failed stealth.

Also these conditions aren't necessarily overlapping. The person who DCs at being facecamped may be willing to play the Skull Merchant game, and the person who DCs from lag may be fine with playing against Nurse.

• Murgleïs
    Murgleïs Member Posts: 1,046
    Options
  • PAntWill
    Options

Then your most likely part of the problem - with no intention of moving forward.

just stay camping dude 👍🏻

• Murgleïs
    Murgleïs Member Posts: 1,046
    edited August 2023
    Options

2500 hours and you think dead hard was OK and now is destroyed (even if the perk is still played both in pubs and comp).

Maybe in another 2500 hours you will have some clarity.

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890
    Options

I get what you're saying, but it does the devs (or the community really) no good to stick their head in the sand and pretend they can't see the spike in DCs/suicides.

We can debate all day about the ethics/maturity/etc of doing such things, but when there's a clear increase in it happening, the only productive solution is to look at why it happens more often, not just simply speak in platitudes about "taking a break" or "ruining the game."

• Luv2NotHateDBD
    Luv2NotHateDBD Member Posts: 37
    Options

My Problem is that BHVR seems to want to limit what types of counter play which makes the game very, very, stale.

It feels like both sides have had their toy boxes stripped down, so it only encourages a very, very rigid of play style.

A big part of the problem is new perks accidently creating toxic synergies with older perks that become too strong on either side.

Example Pain Res and DMS. (Before the adjustment to Scorge Hooks)

Or Eruption and Call of Brine (You can't just remove someone from the game for 30 second).

Or Now: MFT and Hope.

What they need to do is evaluate the perk system and create perk types. Example: "Eruption is Gen Slow Down" or MFR and Hope is "Player Speed". If they would create a perk point system that prevents a player from assigning all value High Value Perks at once, then the problem is solved. This way they can continue to make new perks and them just limiting some of the build outs.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,084
    Options

Honestly it's just entitlement.

Players of DBD have just gotten so entitled over the years and no matter how much the devs change based on feedback, people will just never be happy unless the game goes exactly the way they want it to go.

• totallynotamegmain
    Options

I agree to a point, some of the old ######### was so broken it was insane (insta blinds, pallet vacuum, insta heals, infinites) I think most old perk mechanics should come back but some stuff was just too far (like killer being able to stand in front of a hook and survivors being physically unable to save them)

• Tsulan
    Options

But how do people know that they are not having fun, when they literally suicide on their first down/hook?

I understand that certain situations can be frustrating. But i´ve seen so many people rage quit for no aparrent reason that it baffles me. Getting a full match where someone doesn´t rage quit or someone doesn´t get tunneled seems to be rare. I´m seeing this both as survivor and killer. When i go out of my way to not tunnel and yet. Survivors rage quit. I go with suboptimal builds. No slowdown. Just Agitation, Iron Grip, Mad Grit and Lightborn on a Huntress. A slow killer.

I just don´t understand it.

• Tsulan
    Options

I´m not sure the devs can identify a rage quit suicide from a normal kill. So with that in mind, all those rage quits must look like legit kills on the devs stats. Which means that if survivors were playing normal, the kill rates would be much lower.

On the why, it totally beats me. There is currently no annoying or OP killer combo that would even remotely justify so many people being mad. Or at least i don´t see many nerf threads for killer perks. So maybe its boredom. Or people want to lower their mmr rating. Totally beats me.

• PAntWill
    Options

DH was a pretty simple perk and almost laughable to dodge on its first endurance nerf. It really wasn’t an “issue” - it was just popular. Popular doesn’t equal OP. Would you call Wesker OP?

ps. Hours don’t equal skill… clearly

• PAntWill
    Options

But the issue with this is they’re essentially controlling your game even worse by saying “these are available to you but no” that to me is in line with the proposed EGC Mori that just plays the game for you and removes your choices. Which is the reason why I loved this game.

• Luv2NotHateDBD
    Luv2NotHateDBD Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2023
    Options

It also prevents broken builds from being abused and would allow behavior to try more creative perks without them having to working about unforeseen problematic combinations when creating a new chapter. Other games do this to avoid broken combos.

The more chapters there are the more this becomes a problem. I would have this rather than something gets nerfed to where its unusable and creates more blood web bloat. The root causes of these issues are not the perk itself but the combinations which tilts game mechanic.