What fights back against the Entity?

Options
Shraar
Shraar Member Posts: 219

Is anyone else a bit disappointed by how shallow/pointless the lore surrounding the Entity is?

An all powerful, always in control, unquestioned dominant force we can't possibly understand isn't terribly interesting. It also raises questions like "what's the point" if we know there's no (real) chance of escape. It's not possible to get invested in any story because it's so hopeless, it's just such a downer.

I propose they introduce some opposite force to combat the Entity. It doesn't necessarily have to reflect itself in game, but if they care to add on to their lore they should add a very real possibility that there is light at the end of the tunnel: Something to strive for and keep your hope alive. As it is, being tortured until you're nothing but a "husk" and thrown away isn't very motivating. Something that challenges the Entity and is invading its realm with its light could be interesting, wouldn't demand sweeping gameplay changes, and would open so many more possibility for interesting gameplay additions centered around rebelling against the Entity.

There needs to be balance! Yin/yang, every story needs contrast to be interesting. As it is, Dead by Daylight has no story because it's all darkness and that's shallow.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Vigo has learned how to bend the Entity's rules to his favor. Note that the characters don't know there's no escape. When they give up, they go into the Void for all eternity.

• Shraar
    Options

@Orion said:
    Vigo has learned how to bend the Entity's rules to his favor. Note that the characters don't know there's no escape. When they give up, they go into the Void for all eternity.

Don't you think that's super lame? WE know that. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." there needs to be something that is the antithesis of the Entity. Maybe there is some benevolent force who has invaded the Entity's realm, instead of endless torture it is creating Generators and ways to escape while the Entity empowers the Killer so he can watch more suffering.

Being tortured endlessly then thrown away is just the blandest most disheartening story ever. That's not something anyone can get into. The lore needs to be looked at, the Entity isn't compelling.

• Orion
    Options

@Shraar said:

@Orion said:

Don't you think that's super lame? WE know that. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." there needs to be something that is the antithesis of the Entity. Maybe there is some benevolent force who has invaded the Entity's realm, instead of endless torture it is creating Generators and ways to escape while the Entity empowers the Killer so he can watch more suffering.

Being tortured endlessly then thrown away is just the blandest most disheartening story ever. That's not something anyone can get into. The lore needs to be looked at, the Entity isn't compelling.

Newton's third law of motion applies to physics. It's not a general statement about life.
    Most players who've taken the time to read the lore find it compelling. I'm afraid you're in the minority here.

• Shraar
    Options

@Orion said:

@Shraar said:

@Orion said:

Newton's third law of motion applies to physics. It's not a general statement about life.
    Most players who've taken the time to read the lore find it compelling. I'm afraid you're in the minority here.

Yes it is. The brighter the flame the darker the shadow. The bigger they are the harder they fall. What comes up must go down. Karma comes back around. It's hard to deny there's an inherent balance to the universe, and if there is some malevolent Entity out in the cosmos abducting souls to torment, a benevolent Entity that seeks to rescue and heal them is expected.

You can't say "most new players" enjoy the lore, you don't speak for anyone but yourself. If you think it's good writing to have Ojomo the car crusher suddenly gain a magical bell that makes him invisible, or a Nurse who gains the ability to teleport and scream when she does because I guess it's extra spooky sure, have at it, but it's objectively bad to any real criticism.

Read first post here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/2402/every-lore-related-question-devs-answered-81-questions-and-some-answers-1#latest

The majority of the answers are "Ohh it's a mystery!", "We don't know yet" or "Yeah that sounds cool sure", so it's clear they weren't forward thinking with the lore at first. That's why I'm not sure why you're resistant to a new idea.

• Orion
    Options

@Shraar said:

@Orion said:

@Shraar said:

@Orion said:

Yes it is. The brighter the flame the darker the shadow. The bigger they are the harder they fall. What comes up must go down. Karma comes back around. It's hard to deny there's an inherent balance to the universe, and if there is some malevolent Entity out in the cosmos abducting souls to torment, a benevolent Entity that seeks to rescue and heal them is expected.

You can't say "most new players" enjoy the lore, you don't speak for anyone but yourself. If you think it's good writing to have Ojomo the car crusher suddenly gain a magical bell that makes him invisible, or a Nurse who gains the ability to teleport and scream when she does because I guess it's extra spooky sure, have at it, but it's objectively bad to any real criticism.

Read first post here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/2402/every-lore-related-question-devs-answered-81-questions-and-some-answers-1#latest

The majority of the answers are "Ohh it's a mystery!", "We don't know yet" or "Yeah that sounds cool sure", so it's clear they weren't forward thinking with the lore at first. That's why I'm not sure why you're resistant to a new idea.

Keep your philosophical and religious views out of science and video games. Newton's third law has nothing to do with what you believe it does.

I didn't say "most new players"; I just said "most players". You're new here, so I'd advise you to defer to those with greater knowledge than you.

I'm not "resistant to a new idea". I just think your idea is bad.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    Options

@Shraar said:

@Orion said:

@Shraar said:

@Orion said:

Maybe because your idea isn't what Dead by Daylight is about? If you want Survivors to fight back, go play Friday The 13th.

The Entity is the soul ruler of her Realm, you may expect an anti-Entity, but there is absolutely no reason for why there should be one. Newton's third law applies to forces being applied to objects, not to Karma and all that other spiritual nonsense of yours.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    edited December 2018
    Options

@Shraar said:

@DocOctober said:

@Shraar said:

@Orion said:

@Shraar said:

@Orion said:

Maybe because your idea isn't what Dead by Daylight is about? If you want Survivors to fight back, go play Friday The 13th.

The Entity is the soul ruler of her Realm, you may expect an anti-Entity, but there is absolutely no reason for why there should be one. Newton's third law applies to forces being applied to objects, not to Karma and all that other spiritual nonsense of yours.

Right because "The brighter the flame the darker the shadow" doesn't have to be spiritual, it can be taken literally. Either way, I'm not talking about physics, the other moron got me off topic, I'm merely saying that the lore as it is right now is shallow.

Why is it shallow? It's all doom and gloom. Only one level.

Try to wrap your head around this analogy: If you're starving (doom and gloom and torture) when you finally get a drink of water and food, even if it's brussel sprouts or whatever, you'll think it's the best thing you've ever tasted. The point being made here is that to make a good story, to have meaning, you need to balance the good against the bad, starvation against feeding, darkness against light.

If there was a benevolent Entity, competing against the darkness, there would be more depth introduced to the lore rather than "It sucks all the time, has always sucked, will always suck, and it ends with the Void." like no, that's not compelling. Whether you want to get spiritual about it or not is up to you, I didn't bring that up.

Am I not getting my point across? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=analogy+definition

You aren't. There is no need for an anti-Entity as far as I and probably most other players are concerned. I don't get why people like you are so desperately trying to put "logic" into a video game.

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options
    The rest of the universe.
    The entity wants to spill out of its realm and into ours.
  • XxAtomicAlfiexX
    XxAtomicAlfiexX Member Posts: 395
    Options

@Shraar said:

@Orion said:

the entity is creating the generators and the exits to fill survivors with hope. hope that the entity feeds on.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143
    Options
    I always figured the entity is a dying "primordial god" that's why it is feeding on so much hope that's why it keeps bringing in more and more survivors and killers the hope it is getting is becoming not enough.
  • Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

The way i look at The Entity is as this malevolent being that exists between reality and our imagination. This being can seem to enter our world through pockets or what i call "Slices" in our dimension. When it does, it then takes someone from our world and someone who has committed an awful act. Now, to understand The Entity we need to understand the way it thinks. And the only thing on its mind is food and sustenance.

It doesn't care about the killers and it doesn't care about the survivors. The only thing this being cares about is food, and how to enter our world. If it continues to do that then it will surely overtake us and their will be no stopping it. I think that with the recent comings of all the survivors that we currently have, i can say that The Entity is close to consuming our world. We may not know it, but it knows it.

• A_Crow
    A_Crow Member Posts: 193
    Options
    Shraar said:

Orion said:

Don't you think that's super lame?

Nah.
  • A_Crow
    A_Crow Member Posts: 193
    Options
    Shraar said:

Orion said:

Don't you think that's super lame?

Nah.
  • Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088
    Options

All this stuff is about despair, my friend. The main point of it - we still don't know for sure if there is any way to escape or not. Survs still have to keep trying and stay strong. And, well, maybe they gonna see sunrise someday again.