Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Regular request to please do away with de-pipping

This is my regular reminder to abandon the de-pipping mechanic. For a really long time now grades serve no real purpose, not even bragging rights. In theory they only measure some kind of activity in the game and award active players with up to 2million BP per month, but they are still gated behind a grueling grind and some of the most frustrating and salt inducing mechanics in the game.

My solution is rather simple: double the pips needed to progress, but completely do away with de-pipping, unless a player DCs. A lot of players say that the game has become super competitive in the last year, and the pipping system isn't helping. I know for a fact that a lot if ME sweating is directly tied to the frustating aspects of the pipping system. I often feel like I can't affort to give a cute survivor the hatch or meme around with them, just because how strict and merciless the pipping system is. Nearly EVERY time I caved in and had a fun round of memeing with survivors or just gave the last one the hatch, this would result in a silver rank in sacrifice or chasing or whatever, and next game I would depip because of some circumstance outside of my realm of influence and chances are that a couple of bad games would send me from 4 pips to 0 pips.

I know that its just BP, but I actually WANT to reach Iri1; on the other hand I want to freedom to be merciful or play around with cute other players without the feeling that I am actively punishing myself for this. Would be nice if someone could explain the utter stoborness behind this decision, as complains about the de-pipping system are quite common and regular, yet BHVR won't budge an inch in this regard. I know that there are probably bigger problems and fish to fry, but impementing my easy solution would just be just number adjustments.

Comments

• Tits
    Tits Member Posts: 230

I agree about the de-pipping. You can play casualy for a while but as soon as you get near gold (by accident) ita like they game starfs giving you the sweatiest people it can find and they are worried about their pips so they go nuts tunneling people. And you end up losing pips from this process, so your playstyle starts to change into more of a (every man for himself) kinda style and you start doing anything to keep pips. The road to rank 1 is a sweatfest lol. Removing depip would cause more players to play for fun and be more altruistic, or wouldnt mind being the guy that looped the whole round and got nothing because he wouldnt let you unhook or touch a generator.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,964
    edited October 2023

I personally do believe that there should be some back and forth to levelling your grade... otherwise whats the point of having it at all? However there is definitely an issue....

The goal posts shift considerably as you grade up... and while this makes sense, at iridescent the goal posts move to be pretty unforgiving.

You really have to stomp to rank up, winning is not enough, unless you totally crush and farm your opponents, you're never getting 2 pips, and in some cases, it's hard just to get 1. There have been times I've "won" 3 times in a row, but because I didn't or couldn't farm my opponents for points, I didn't rank up.

Combine that with the fact it takes very little to rank down, one bad game (or even a game you win but the opponent was REALLY bad), can make losing that pip feel really punishing and unfair through no fault of your own...

While I don't like just disabling losing pips completely, cause then there is no counterbalance to make gaining pip feel good, I feel like something needs to be done to alter it.

If there was something like getting getting a 3k or an escape through hatch with 0 pips granted you a protection for your next -1, that would be nice, at least then you could relax a little knowing you have a buffer.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

I now grinded my way up tp Iri 2, but I think I will call it a day. There are 10 days left till rank reset, and those last 5 pips till Iri1 could take me a week, if I am unlucky; a week full of sweat and tunneling and survivor tears. Or I could just not do it and play anyway I like, relaxe my stance and meme around when I feel like it, give hatch or whatever. My second to last game before I pipped up to Iri2 was again such a case. I had a brutal game where I dominated and played very unforgiving, punishing every small mistake the survivors made. The last survivor sorta stood there in terror and gave up. I felt pitty and let them escape ... and prolly only got silver sacrifice emblem, causing me to not pip up. Luckily the next game was against a super altruistic SWF, so they all died, but had it been a coordinated SWF that prioritised gens before friends, I could have easily lost my chance to pip up.

And I HATE THIS! I want the freedom to play anyway I like and not be forced to be the sorta killer survivors hate when they exchange stories, but this simple mechanic makes me into the monster. Yeah, at the end of the day its just one million blood points (or 900k in my case), but its at least something to strive for. I would pretty much prefer to just have to play the game and get 150-200 good matches during a month and don't care about depipping, then the sweat fest we have now. I wouldn't care to give hatch to cute survivors or relax when I see someone struggling hard, if I could just play another match after that. But right now that next match has to be a real stomper, OR ELSE .... so often the best action is to not give that hatch and to just stump that group that is already lying broken before you, as you never know what the game might throw at you next.

Is this the way BHVR wants us to play? Like for real?

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

I want it gone too, it just creates people to play extra sweaty.

Somehow I made iri1 from rank 0 in a few days while I've been sick with covid. Oddly enough I wasn't even trying, am pretty sick and playing bad. When I saw it was red and rank 1 I was like what?? Okay then.

I guess from now on, until they fix it I'll just ignore it...like you guys said, it serves no purpose really, and it ruins the fun.

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,481

I just hit Iri 1 as killer yesterday. I'm stuck on Iri IV as survivor for a long time now... It's not happening because of things out of my control. I seem to never be able to get to Iri 1 as survivor...

• Zakon05
    Zakon05 Member Posts: 185

I've gotten iridescent 1 on survivor a few times but my honest advice if you don't have a reliable SWF to play with is to give up at around Gold 1/Iridescent 4. The amount of frustration that trying to pip past Gold 1 on survivor causes is not worth the few hundred thousand extra blood points. Just have fun from that point on. At least until they get rid of depipping.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,281

de pipping should be here but more difficult to do se we cant be tunneled or gen rushed with sneaky survs

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,481

Yes, I feel this! While playing Killer I didn't even realize my Grade going up I was just playing as usual and I was pleasantly surprised I made it Iri 1 but since I play survivor only solo it has been miserable getting punished for things outside of my power or performance.