What do you consider a good chase?

Options

Clearly at some point unless the killer gives up the chase the killer will catch the survivor. So what do you consider a good chase as killer and as survivor? As Killer how fast do you need to down the survivor? As survivor how long do you need to keep the attention of the killer?

Comments

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,269
    edited October 2023
    Options

I would say if a down a survivor before getting bloodlust the chase was very good for me. As survivor it I wasted the killer's time enough to either, let someone get rescued off a hook, have a gen complete, or have my teammates all heal, than the chase was worth it

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

30- 90 seconds

Any shorter then it wasn't much of a chase

Any longer and Killer will start to Camp and Tunnel

• totallynotamegmain
    totallynotamegmain Member Posts: 452
    Options

Anything below 2 gens but above 30 seconds finished is a good chase early game

the max chase time decreases as the game continues

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

Not a straight answer to that possible for me. Depends a lot on many factors. As a survivor i might run the killer, lets say Pig 3 minutes and a strong survivor map and i still dont think it was a very good chase. Against a good Blight in a 1v1 enviroment, even 1 Minute can be a very sold chase time.

The same goes for killer. When i play Nurse and i fail to get a down within 40 seconds or so, that is probably not a very good chase. On the other hand, i play Wraith and i get 2 hits within that time and a pallet out of the way, i can be very happy with that outome.

• MikeyBoi
    MikeyBoi Member Posts: 537
    Options

A good chase is becoming better the last time you chased/got chased at the same generic tile.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

Our definition might be a bit odd as a good chase is one where both sides are able to "play" against each other in a meaningful or exciting way. Running round a car over and over isn't really a good chase despite the time it wastes.

For what your asking for as a killer anything over 40 is seconds without a meaningful result is a lost case for us (didn't get hits, no good pallets down)

• Zraith
    Zraith Member Posts: 143
    edited October 2023
    Options

A good chase is the one I can avoid and remain stealthy

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

A good chase is one that I escape, a bad one is where Im chased until down. For killer under 20s. As survivor theres no need to hold attention in chase, time can be bought by having the killer search and patrol.

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815
    Options

The good chase, for me (killer), is when the survivor is good. I like playing pallets and trying to catch at windows, if a survivor can keep me busy, keep me thinking it's gonna happen, then dodging or tricking me, that's the best chase.

Like other's said, learning is what you do when you play against better players. I'll chase you the whole daggone game if you're fun to chase. I've won plenty of times, but this might be my only chance to chase YOU.

I won't be rude about it, if a team-mate tries to take aggro to give you a break, I'll let that work. Unless I'm pretending to be mad, I don't really want survivors to think I am.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758
    edited October 2023
    Options

As survivor,

#1 buy time until 1 gen pop or teammates reset healing

Trying to keep distance as soon as you see killer far away, hear terror radius will help this.

#2 stay away from gen that teammates are repairing or has many progress, injured survivors

Troubleshooter, Bond, Empathy are helpful for this.

#3 don't loop into wrong direction or stay in edge map loop

If you get hit in TL loop where edge map is near and not leave the loop, you will go down fast than holding W into opposite side.

As killer,

1) force survivor loop into the direction which will corner him or block the next strong loop

Straight opposite of #3

2) choose whether it is good decision to chase survivor who already kept distance pretty much, give up chasing in strong connected loops

Be cautious when decent pallet loop and strong window are connected together

3) sometimes not respecting pallet and eating them fast could be right choice

Because of Made For This and Resilience, there are many survivors who greed to loop killer as long as possible.

4) don't mindgame strong pallets

Just break it, shack/jungle gym and god pallets.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,691
    Options

Depends on a few factors.

As killer, if the chase has gone on for more than 30 seconds and I know I can't get the down soon I just break chase. This might be a bad chase if I didn't get any value from it, but if I got an injure, some good pallets out of the way, or 99'd them as Ghostface then I consider it a good chase as it still had some value and could possibly lead to a snowball later. If I get a down in < 30ish seconds I consider that a good chase as killer.

As survivor, it depends on how much value the chase gave my team. A 2 minute chase is good, but if my teammates spent the entire time doing nothing and no gens were finished then it didn't really matter how long the chase was. Alternatively I might go down after 15 seconds but that may have been enough time to give my teammate nearby to finish the last gen, so I would consider that a good chase.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,434
    Options

The survivor is healthy and doesn't take a hit before making some distance. It's fine if a killer does that, but a good chase would mean both sides start even to me.

Although I probably handi-cap myself far more than the majority here. It's a large party of my break from dbd.

I so wish I could try as hard as possible on killer and feel nothing but dopamine and tilt like any other game.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,951
    Options

What are you talking? Thats the hight of fun and how you outplay the killer. Bonus points if there is a pallet at that trash heap and you can get the killer get exactly nothing for that fun chase, but also know if they break off that pallet will stay for later. Fun.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

I didn´t know people would instantly uninstall over that statement. But hey, i heard Civ is a pretty good game. Maybe check it out.

• Tsulan
    Options

I know, i know. I´m burrying my own grave with this statement. But to me, there is little skill and 0 mind games involved in running around the same piece of wood. So its simply not a good chase.

Survivors often say, that they love mind games, but then loop the same small tile without any view blockers ad nauseum. Killer can´t moonwalk or mind game or anything. Its just boring. Especially on slow killers.

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

If I lasted more than 5 seconds.😍

• Akumakaji
    Options

I was of couse sarcastic with my statement, but forgot the /s marker, sorry about that ^_-

But for real, the way MFT allows greeding absolute trash loops and getting away with it is depressing, especially when you KNOW that there is nothing in it for you. In order to get the pallet out of the way you have to blood lust and then purposefully not respect it, because otherwise your lunge might be short 2 pixels and they can lead you around an extra 3 rounds. Madness! This is not mindgames, that is just BS, even though a lot of players might argue that "wasting a killers time without expending ressources and successfully greeding is the hight of skill". Why though doesn't this kind of buffoonery feel earned and you as killer shake your head in bemusement as the clever survivors tricks, but you only feel how you die inside bit by bit, loop by loop, until all humanity has been driven out of your body, leaving it an empty husk and you can only regain bits by camping and tunneling and stomping the next group of noobs as hard into the ground as you can muster?

• Tsulan
    Options

Oh i got that. Don´t worry.

And yes, i absolutely agree with what you said.

For example, just earlier today i played killer because of the 50% bloodpoint bonus at 3pm (yeah about that...) and had a Myers Daily to kill someone with my own hands. The survivors 3 genned themself pretty quickly by only doing the gens on one side of the map (Lampkin Lane) and 2 of the gens were right in front of the main building. Where the Police car with the pallet stands. It was one of the most boring matches i had in a long time, because a Nea would always attempt to loop me around that car. Its simply not fun. I couldn´t leave that tile, because all the gens were there. So i spend the biggest part of that match watching the flashing lights and occasionally hitting someone.

Its moments like those, where i ask myself why am i even playing.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,880
    Options

Well, it's not the same for both roles.

If I outplay the Survivor and end a chase as Killer, the chase was good.

If I outplay the Killer and prolong the chase, the chase was also good.

• bobateo
    bobateo Member Posts: 368
    Options

Survivor POV -

Start of the game & first survivor found - did I delay the Killer finding me? Did I manage to get into a good position before the chase began? Did I avoid running the Killer into a gen a teammate is working on? Did I buy enough time for 2-3 gens to pop or be pretty close?

Bonus: First three gens pop during my chase & I lead the Killer back into one of those areas, freeing up 'space' for teammates. (not yet achieved, but maybe one day) If I were to ever manage to do all that, then the next layer would be 'while using up as few resources as possible'.

Mid game - Am I buying enough time for my team? This could be for any pressing objective from getting an unhook and healing, to completing gens, etc. Am I pulling the Killer away from those same 'hot spots' even if I go down 'faster'? Generally, I consider it more valuable to pull the Killer away from objectives to buy my team more time than engaging in a 'long' chase that is constantly disrupting my team.

Bonus: Last long enough for any heals to take place and time to comfortable work on gens after healing is done.

After gen completion but before exit gates are powered - Am I pulling the killer away from the doors & hooked teammates to buy my team more time open/heal/etc or in worst case scenario, am I buying my team enough time to get the doors open and get out? If NOED is in play, am I giving my team time to find it/NOT going down next to it?

Exit gates are open - Can I buy enough time/space for the rest of my team and myself to get out?

For Killer POV - basically, the opposite of all that with a few variances. Notably, knowing when to drop chase, which pallets to kick and which to leave, and probably the biggest, can I get another down/hook before or close to an unhook.

• Akumakaji
    Options

You are right ... ok, lets put it in a different way:

not all killers camp and tunnel. But enough do, so that it is considered a problem and you as a survivor can be expected to encounter this problem. And its such an unpleasant experience, that the times were it happens stick that much more to your memory, then the other way around.

Not all survivors go for this cheap and extemely unfun (because extremely uninteractive - its basically scripted and could roll on auto pilot) tight loops using MFT, BUT enough do that it is considered a problem by many killer players, and being submitted to its mind-numbing effects can really make you question your whole experience and if this game is still worth playing...

Better? :)