If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Chase music and Sound Perks are Anti-Accessibility

Options
RoastedGarlic
RoastedGarlic Member Posts: 532
edited November 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Perks that alter the games sound like iron will need to be reworked completely. Fighting game developers have started adding features for players who are visually impaired. Street Fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1 both having pinging sounds so players can tell which side of the screen they're on and how close they are to the opponent.

Players with poor eye sight rely on their ears. DBD is a casual game it isn't competitive, we've seen accessibility features for those who are deaf, and color blind. Mean while players with poor vision are just left in the dust.

Chase music simply needs to be turned down. Not all chase music is problematic.

Scratch marks need and blood need to be as bright as the wraith add-on. Maps like borgo need to have changes to make scratch marks stand out more against the ground.

As a partially sighted player. I feel the need to bring attention to this subject. It is 2023 sound should no longer be allowed to be taken from the players who need it.

that said this game needs more sound options entirely. For instance the blood web is obnoxiously loud, but if i turn down the sound I turn down everything and that just isn't right.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,804
    Options

This game has a lot of accessibility issues, BHVR has made significant improvements over the years but I feel as if a lot still needs to be addressed.

• RoastedGarlic
    edited November 2023
    Options

must be nice to be able to think that way, I wasn't expecting to be told i have a rare genetic condition last year but it happens. I went from having perfect vision to almost no peripheral within a couple months.

games absolutely should be balanced around all forms of accessbility. They're video games you're life isn't at stake here. Actual comepetive games with stakes have these features. DBD is not a competitive game with 1 million dollar prize pools like street fighter and they've done right by what you deem a "small" group of players.

• UnusedAccount
    UnusedAccount Member Posts: 130
    Options

Have you tried playing other games like Civ 5?

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,170
    Options

I see your point but sadly, there is not a whole lot they could do without it being abusable. I play without head phones and I have my problems tracking survivors with sound alone but I would benefit from any of these changes too. When it shouldn't even benefit me because I don't suffer from any hearing impairments.

But I do think it'd be fair to give the killer a directional visual indication of loud noises nearby. Nothing that would affect people hiding in lockers or using Iron Will but sounds that are loud enough that the killer should easily hear them.

• RoastedGarlic
    Options

doesn't interest me, but I've played DBD for years now with over 3.6k hours and I dont want to have to stop playing a game I love. I should've known this community would behave like the few posts already in this topic.

I play street fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1 both are actual competitive games and they have these features, and despite how toxic the FGC can be they celebrated a blind person winning because of these features.

Meanwhile look at the first few posts in this topic.

DBD is the worst community.

• Exxodus21
    Exxodus21 Member Posts: 1,170
    Options

The volume of the chase music is absurd. To some degree I understand wanting to obfuscate sounds so either side has a chance of surprising the other at certain loops, but it needs to be turned down some.

I mostly agree about scratch marks too. They can already be inconsistent in the way they randomly stop showing up for several yards sometimes, and often times don't show up at all if they happened outside of the chase and the killer's POV. Idk if they should be as bright as OP suggests, but they need an improvement of some kind.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,993
    Options

agreed, things like changing aura colors wouldn't effect balance at all, but it would be a nice quality of life and could help a few people

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,993
    Options

to be fair, street fighter and mortal combat do not have stealth.

you don't have to use signs around you to track ur opponent

i can certainly agree on chase music being turned down

especially clowns loud mess of a chase music

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    Options

This game would be very boring if chase music was removed

• RoastedGarlic
    Options

I never said it needed to be removed. I said It needed to be turned down which it does. Even before I had any vision loss I thought some were way to loud. tricksters chase music for instance gives me headaches. Xeno's original chase music was a nightmare.

• RoastedGarlic
    Options

except for there are perks that absolutely kill stealth play already, I hate having to rely on ultimate weapon but I've noticed it has helped quite a bit.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,648
    Options

I feel like reverting Stridor’s nerf would be a good start. While I don’t think you should be forced to run a perk just for accessibIlity reasons, having the option to run Stridor to counter Iron Will or Off the Record would be a good compromise to be more accessible while not being something could be abused by the rest of the player base.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

Did the mortal kombat and street fighter changes affect how everyone played the game? Reading up on them it sounds like it would not impact the game play in any way for other players.

Changing the volume of the chase music would be a game change for everyone. Stealth would be considerably harder around the killer, both for other survivors in the area as well as the chased target trying to escape the chase via stealth.

Changing the blood color would be a buff for everyone. Spotting blood trails will be easier for some people depending on their eyesight, but it is also a skill part of the game. I run the Wraith addon to make blood brighter, not because I have any vision issue connected to it, but the blood trails on some maps/areas are difficult to see by design (which they should be).

except for there are perks that absolutely kill stealth play already, I hate having to rely on ultimate weapon but I've noticed it has helped quite a bit.

But that's what perks do, they give you advantages in the game. Survivors are supposed to be able to hide and the killer has various ways to try and locate them. UW is useful for finding survivors regardless of the player. Not to mention that the survivors have perks and strategies of their own to counterplay against it.

• myersgoestochurch
    myersgoestochurch Member Posts: 169
    Options

Good, so that means iron will doesn't need to be reworked then. It's just a game, right?

• Astel
    Astel Member Posts: 617
    Options
  • myersgoestochurch
    myersgoestochurch Member Posts: 169
    Options

This game should not be balanced around accessibility, no. Unless you want to remove stealth from every killers as well?

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,051
    Options

They have the visual indicator for gens and footsteps/moans on mobile.

Guess what it: Is so exact like you have wallhacks on. A survivor hides behind a rock? You get a visual indicator about 5m away that you can "hear" breathing (which is ridiculous and pretty impossible to hear at that distance. The ONLY WAY to get rid of it was old IW (and Urban Evasion I think). I don't know how it is now since the IW nerf.

Accessibility is a good thing, but in a game where hide and seek is the key, making things easier to find is not the way to go.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,051
    Options

Only of I can hear that the perk is active again as well. I want to know if I am completely silent to the killer or not. You play pretty different in both cases.