The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Map Restriction System!

NMCKE
NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

Let's Relate Together!

Admit, you got the same map and you're getting tired of playing on it! It's annoying and you don't see as much variety since you're always on the same map! How do we fix this problem without creating more problems?

Introducing "The Restriction System"

When you finish your latest game, the map you played that game on will be recorded (and you do not see this since this data is private to you but you can just memorize this). The map that is recorded will not be a possibility for the next game you play to prevent repetition!

This means up to 5 maps can be restricted due to being 5 players in every game. The minimum can be only a single map restricted due to everyone in your lobby previously played the same map.

An exception to the "Restriction System"

If at anytime a map offering is used, the restriction system will be ignored COMPLETELY. However, it will still be counted as your latest played map when you finish that game.

Misconceptions

If you played The McMillian Estate map, you can still get The McMillan Estate map but you won't get the same variation.

Discuss! Hopefully, this can solve the repetition issues with some players! :)

Comments

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    Yes please!!! This would be greatly appreciated ^^^
  • NMCKE
    Yes please!!! This would be greatly appreciated ^^^
    I know that you can still alternative between map variations but it's something, right?
  • NMCKE
    edited January 2019
    @Janick, what do you think? :)
    Post edited by NMCKE on
  • TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

I once got Groaning Storehouse SIX TIMES IN A ROW.

I support this change.

• Luc_ius
    Luc_ius Member Posts: 155

Bye bye Autohaven Wreckers.
    It would be awesome. But doesn't saving that info and generating map for every players burden the servers ? Or also lobbies because it have to choose the players also in a case someone is going to a map you can't have.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    Anything that keeps me from getting Swamp 10 times in a row again earns a yes from me.
    Believe me I want to stay out of your swamp😭
  • anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Honestly I want this, but getting corn after corn after corn wouldn't really change because of it.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    HeroLives said:
    Anything that keeps me from getting Swamp 10 times in a row again earns a yes from me.
    WOT ER YOO DERRIN IN MY SCHWAMP?!!
  • NMCKE
    Luc_ius said:

It would be awesome. But doesn't saving that info and generating map for every players burden the servers ? Or also lobbies because it have to choose the players also in a case someone is going to a map you can't have.

Question and Answer: Q&A (Clarification)

"
    But doesn't saving that info and generating map for every players burden the servers?"

No, I think you are over thinking this system. If let's say 5 players in a lobby restricted 5 different maps, the RNG will pick any map BUT those 5 maps unless a survivor used an offering in which case the restriction is ignored. This prevents the wasting of offerings if you or someone else request a map that someone else in your lobby previously played.

"
    Or also lobbies because it have to choose the players also in a case someone is going to a map you can't have."

This won't happen since there are so many realms with so many variations of them.
  • HeroLives
    HeroLives said:
    Map spawn put me here 5 times in a row😭😭😭 is this hell?
  • DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    HeroLives said:
    HeroLives said:
    I guess RNG has it out for you today :( 

Never give up, soldier! 
  • NMCKE
    HeroLives said:
    HeroLives said:
    I swear I get swamp maps when the game can give it to me. I hate the map as a killer and as a survivor.
  • Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

it would be great having new maps, even before getting a new survivor or killer....maybe give all the killers a new map each? it could get really creative....and is sure many have great ideas for new maps....as yes i have just been to cold wind farm and i here i am 20000 years later....lol

• HeroLives
    HeroLives said:
    HeroLives said:
    I guess RNG has it out for you today :( 

Never give up, soldier! 
    You got it Lieutenant Dan!
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Nickenzie said:
    Let's Relate Together!

Admit, you got the same map and you're getting tired of playing on it! It's annoying and you don't see as much variety since you're always on the same map! How do we fix this problem without creating more problems? Introducing "The Restriction System"

When you finish your latest game, the map you played that game on will be recorded (and you do not see this since this data is private to you but you can just memorize this). The map that is recorded will not be a possibility for the next game you play to prevent repetition!

This means up to 5 maps can be restricted due to being 5 players in every game. The minimum can be only a single map restricted due to everyone in your lobby previously played the same map.

If at anytime a map offering is used, the restriction system will be ignored COMPLETELY. However, it will still be counted as your latest played map when you finish that game. Misconceptions

If you played The McMillian Estate map, you can still get The McMillan Estate map but you won't get the same variation.

Sounds reasonable, but would probably require some work from BHVR..... :wink:

• Luc_ius

@Nickenzie said:
    Luc_ius said:

Question and Answer: Q&A (Clarification)

"But doesn't saving that info and generating map for every players burden the servers?"

No, I think you are over thinking this system. If let's say 5 players in a lobby restricted 5 different maps, the RNG will pick any map BUT those 5 maps unless a survivor used an offering in which case the restriction is ignored. This prevents the wasting of offerings if you or someone else request a map that someone else in your lobby previously played.

"Or also lobbies because it have to choose the players also in a case someone is going to a map you can't have."

This won't happen since there are so many realms with so many variations of them.

You are right, I didn't even think about the variations of the maps.

It also makes sure you will be soon in your favourite map which for example for me is Haddonfield or Springwood but I don't see them often without offering.

It's a great idea, hopefully it might come true some day.

• NMCKE
    Master said:

@Nickenzie said:
    Let's Relate Together!

Admit, you got the same map and you're getting tired of playing on it! It's annoying and you don't see as much variety since you're always on the same map! How do we fix this problem without creating more problems? Introducing "The Restriction System"

If at anytime a map offering is used, the restriction system will be ignored COMPLETELY. However, it will still be counted as your latest played map when you finish that game. Misconceptions

Sounds reasonable, but would probably require some work from BHVR..... :wink:

If Behavior can do dedicated servers then surely they can do this. ;)
  • Unnamed_Freak
    Unnamed_Freak Member Posts: 570
    edited January 2019

If it stops the game from giving me Haddonfield 10 times in a row then I support this.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

I want this.
    Also, a perma-restriction for Ormond would be nice too, I don't like that map as killer and neither as survivor. As killer I get looped more than any map in the big house and surrounding walls and as survivor I'm getting spotted too quickly and I like to play stealthy.

• Entità
    Entità Member Posts: 1,583
    I fully support more variability in gameplay and the prevention of ripetitive adventures! :)
  • DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    Just a small pet peeve, but please distinguish between Realms (MacMillan Estate) and Maps (Suffocation Pit, Coal Tower, etc) 
  • NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Good idea. :)

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited January 2019

I think this is unnecessary and that people just need to understand how randomness works. This would incentivize DCing on maps you don't want to play, which would escalate the DC issue even further.

• SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146

This is a great idea! I remember when i got grim pantry 4 times in a row. I was pissed. The game for sure should use an algorithm so that every player in the lobby has the best chance to get some map variety.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

That sounds interesting and I could get behind it. I don't see any harm in making sure that people don't get the same map twice in a row.

The only flaw I could maybe see is with the new weighting system that allows you to make the new map appear more often. If one person in the lobby got it last match (which chances are someone did with the increased chance), nobody would be able to get it, so maybe excluding the newest map from that system would be a good idea (for the first week or two).

• Entità
    Peanits said:

That sounds interesting and I could get behind it. I don't see any harm in making sure that people don't get the same map twice in a row.

The only flaw I could maybe see is with the new weighting system that allows you to make the new map appear more often. If one person in the lobby got it last match (which chances are someone did with the increased chance), nobody would be able to get it, so maybe excluding the newest map from that system would be a good idea (for the first week or two).

I fully agree with both the rule and the exception.
  • ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

+1

• shanks3042
    shanks3042 Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2019

@Luc_ius said:

Should not be such a big thing as there are more than 5 maps you can throw any players together. Especially when they really have set up the dedicated servers this should be nothing.

It's just a little check before the game starts/when it loads:

map1: player1: y , p2: y, p3: no
    map2: n, n,y
    map3: n,n,n,n,n,n -> ok no one had that map in the last 5 games so we take this one.

Or even easier: Just save the mapname/ID and then you just have to take another one that's not in the list with 5 names.

Maybe I would have the legion map more than once a week then.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I want this, but i'm gonna be a dick and say the following thing...

Inb4 we'll now get the same two maps in a row the whole time.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited January 2019

I have not gotten an Auto Haven map in a hot minute.

This week it has been Mostly Swamp, Crotus, and The Game.

Last week it was mostly MacMillain

It's actually kind of irritating how not random this system is.

It just decides what map you are gonna get 8/10 times for the vast majority of the day or week.

• Mushwin

and so many people know where totems, chests etc are.....map - gen - totem - repeat

• shanks3042
    shanks3042 Member Posts: 163

@Mushwin said:
    and so many people know where totems, chests etc are.....map - gen - totem - repeat

No sleeping at all? xD

• Mushwin

@shanks3042 said:

@Mushwin said:

No sleeping at all? xD

LOL! maybe a little sleeping.....

• Luc_ius

There might be even a voting by the players for the map, but that would make the offerings less useful and no surprise lol.

• Luc_ius

Why so many of You dislike Swamp ?

• Mushwin

my lest fave is the game, purely as i have no idea where gens are or where the killers are....but i like variety *s

• NMCKE
    Orion said:

I think this is unnecessary and that people just need to understand how randomness works. This would incentivize DCing on maps you don't want to play, which would escalate the DC issue even further.

Use an offering? It will bypass the restriction system and DCing is bannable so they can suit themselves if they wanna DC.
  • DexyIV
    DexyIV Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 515

Got Coldwind Barn 4 times in a row once. This would be a welcome change, especially since every major update comes out with a new map.

so much corn...

• Mushwin

@DexyIV said:
    Got Coldwind Barn 4 times in a row once. This would be a welcome change, especially since every major update comes out with a new map.

so much corn...

laughs

• Entità
    The same casual map (Suffocation Pit), the same player using the same killer (Clown) with the same loadout and the same companion among three twice in a row! Enough! Please, enforce this map restriction system as soon as possible, and extend it to players, that is no one can encounter the same map or player twice in a row...
  • KissyKissy
    KissyKissy Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2019

Agreed!

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290
    edited January 2019

I want this, but i'm gonna be a dick and say the following thing...

Inb4 we'll now get the same two maps in a row the whole time.

This is the main issue I see with the idea.

I feel like such a system should be a mix of the player having less of a chance getting maps they've played on in their last 5 games and more of a chance of getting the map they've played on the least counting from a full rotation.

So the last 5 games I've played will count those maps towards less likely to be picked. Although there should be some system that counts all the maps in a full rotation so you've played all maps at least once once before you finally rotate through all of them.

Who knows maybe it's already like this but I've had nights where I've played on Shelter Woods about 9-10 times in a row.

• NMCKE
    Just a small pet peeve, but please distinguish between Realms (MacMillan Estate) and Maps (Suffocation Pit, Coal Tower, etc) 
    I'm not as smart as you. I don't know EVERY single variation of every single map realm.
  • Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

I feel like every game I'm in a corn field, I'd happily welcome this change!

• NMCKE

Wouldn't it be logic that the Killer decides the map?
    Hear me out please, before hurling your fecal matter like a bunch of apes, okay!

Why would the huntress be in Leary Memorial Hospital? Why would The Trapper roam the Game? Wouldn't it be logical that the killer goes to his map? Unless someone uses an offering to switch it up? (Killer or Survivor it's anyone's game).

• Sometimes it seem the more rare add-on I slap on my killer the more chance I have to get the shittiest map for that killer to roam in... But that would be just my imagination!

Shakes fitsts at "The Entity": Damn you tormenting being of unknown origins!

I wouldn't mind if the killer gets the rare map offerings and the survivor only gets the common map offerings. However, weren't they removed?
  • MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

@Vietfox said:
    Different maps instead of getting the same one over and over? Sure, who would be against it?

I'm against it. There is nothing I ....enjoy....more than deciding to give console Nurse another go only to get Lery's Memorial Treatment Theater.

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823

@Vietfox said:
    Different maps instead of getting the same one over and over? Sure, who would be against it?

I'm against it. There is nothing I ....enjoy....more than deciding to give console Nurse another go only to get Lery's Memorial Treatment Theater.

You monster.
    I don't understand why Lery's map is so hated by survivors as well, i'm a survivor main and i love that map. Might be small but it's so easy to juke killers there.
  • MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

@Vietfox said:
    @MegaWaffle said:

@Vietfox said:

You monster.
    I don't understand why Lery's map is so hated by survivors as well, i'm a survivor main and i love that map. Might be small but it's so easy to juke killers there.

Oh don't get me wrong I love the map but I only ever get it when I decide to play Nurse. Let me tell you PS4 Nurse is bad enough without that damn hospital.