What is the issue with NOED?

Cymer
Cymer Member Posts: 946
Hello there. 
What is the issue with NOED and how is it different from MYC and Hex: Haunted Ground or any other instant down mechanic, like a chainsaw or iridescent hatches from Hunteress?

Best Answer

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946
    Answer ✓
    NOED tends to be relied on by bad killers to get last minute hooks. I've had games where everyone would have gotten out, but only one did cause of NOED. MYC and Haunted grounds are both temporary and there needs to be some sort of play top set it off. 

I think it makes people angry cause they may not see it coming, possibly? I usually just try to get all the toems if I feel a NOED coming or I run to get the totem after it goes off if i remember seeing any or have an idea where it is. It can really turn the game around for someone who wasn't doing so great, though. 

So the survivors are frustrated because they don't see it coming and it feels like a crutch perk to them.

Easy solution: make an ingame indicator for NOED like the obsession border for DS user. So the survivors know there is a NOED in the game and the killer still profits from the extra time won from survivors doing totems.

@not_Queen could you check such a solution with your devteam? We would be grateful! Thank you!

Answers

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161
    edited January 2019
    NOED tends to be relied on by bad killers to get last minute hooks. I've had games where everyone would have gotten out, but only one did cause of NOED. MYC and Haunted grounds are both temporary and there needs to be some sort of play to set it off. 

I think it makes people angry cause they may not see it coming, possibly? I usually just try to get all the toems if I feel a NOED coming or I run to get the totem after it goes off if i remember seeing any or have an idea where it is. It can really turn the game around for someone who wasn't doing so great, though. 
    Post edited by fluffybunny on
  • GraviteaUK
    GraviteaUK Member Posts: 464

@Cymer said:
    fluffybunny said:

NOED tends to be relied on by bad killers to get last minute hooks. I've had games where everyone would have gotten out, but only one did cause of NOED. MYC and Haunted grounds are both temporary and there needs to be some sort of play top set it off. 

So the survivors are frustrated because they don't see it coming and it feels like a crutch perk to them.

Easy solution: make an ingame indicator for NOED like the obsession border for DS user. So the survivors know there is a NOED in the game and the killer still profits from the extra time won from survivors doing totems.

@not_Queen could you check such a solution with your devteam? We would be grateful! Thank you!

Except the part where 4 people can run DS but only the 1 person gets highlighted for it.

I think an indicator telling the team when all dull totems are destroyed is fine but definitely not telling them whether the killer or not is running it.

• jus_Ignant
    jus_Ignant Member Posts: 124

No changes needed. There is nothing wrong with NOED. Break the Pallet / Break the Totems...

• beatddb
    beatddb Member Posts: 565

@Cymer said:
    fluffybunny said:

That must be the worst idea I've heard in a long time lol, why would ever a killer run NOED if survivors instantly knows when they have it?

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Some posts somewhere already argued that in some ways, NOED is a counter to Adrenaline. Fair point.
    NOED is hardly a crutch as some players would have you believe. If anything, it's a weak perk since it's relatively easy to counter. Like basically any other perk, you should EXPECT it, and adjust your gameplay accordingly.
    As far as I'm concerned, no nerf needed, especially not without Adrenaline and DS being nerfed along with it. But I'd say leave all these perks untouched.
  • Larcz
    Larcz Member Posts: 531
    beatddb said:

@Cymer said:
    fluffybunny said:

That must be the worst idea I've heard in a long time lol, why would ever a killer run NOED if survivors instantly knows when they have it?

Ask devs for what is the point take hex huntres lulaby or devour hope and few other things .
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Cymer said:
    Hello there. 
    What is the issue with NOED and how is it different from MYC and Hex: Haunted Ground or any other instant down mechanic, like a chainsaw or iridescent hatches from Hunteress?

The issue with NOED is that survivors dont want to take the time cleansing all the totems. Instead they knock out the gens in a few minutes and then cry about noed afterwards :wink:

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

@George_Soros said:
    Some posts somewhere already argued that in some ways, NOED is a counter to Adrenaline. Fair point.
    NOED is hardly a crutch as some players would have you believe. If anything, it's a weak perk since it's relatively easy to counter. Like basically any other perk, you should EXPECT it, and adjust your gameplay accordingly.
    As far as I'm concerned, no nerf needed, especially not without Adrenaline and DS being nerfed along with it. But I'd say leave all these perks untouched.

The reason many players (killer and survivor alike) consider noed a crutch is because it rewards bad play and gives a safety net that encourages players to not learn how to properly handle an entire phase of the game. I'm still not great at killer, but I feel I've grown a lot since I dropped it in favor of other perks that cover weaknesses rather than just try to eek out a desperation kill from a lost game.

• suchbeans
    suchbeans Member Posts: 18

I play survivor mainly and if I see a totem I will always cleanse it. It gives blood points which is awesome and I get peace of mind knowing that NOED might not happen, depending on my teammates. I hate when people complain about NOED its fine as it is, we don't need an indicator or anything just do all the totems and if he has NOED, cool, if not, you got some blood points, its a win win

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Ryuhi said:

@George_Soros said:

The reason many players (killer and survivor alike) consider noed a crutch is because it rewards bad play and gives a safety net that encourages players to not learn how to properly handle an entire phase of the game. I'm still not great at killer, but I feel I've grown a lot since I dropped it in favor of other perks that cover weaknesses rather than just try to eek out a desperation kill from a lost game.

If I got five cents every time when someone uses this rhetoric "it rewards bad gameplay"...
    It's a cheap and meaningless phrase that only seems to make sense if one doesn't actually think about it. The same thing is often said about DS. So wrong it makes me cringe. These perks do not REWARD anything. They give you options at the price of taking up a perk slot, like any other perk.

It's not a reward: if gens are done but four survivors are alive, even if you manage to down one with NOED, you're still screwed. This whole thing about "rewarding bad gameplay" is a nonsense argument.

The sole reason behind all the hate NOED gets is this: sometimes you go through a whole game successfully evading the killer, but you get unlucky and bump into him right after last gen, bang, you're down, possibly camped too. Happened to all of us. Frustrating, I know. But the frustration over it does not justify nerfing it.
  • Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

NOED tends to be a noob stomper. Veteran survivors can usually break the totem shortly after it activates.
    So in that sense, it's not a super strong perk.

That said, as a staunch killer main, I'm not a huge fan of NOED. I do feel it's a little cheap, but I've warmed up to the perk in recent months.

In all honesty, I can see why NOED has its place. It really does punish survivors for taking advantage of gen rushing and strong loops.

People say that NOED is for bad killers, and while that is somewhat true, there are situations where I think NOED is justified.

Say a killer gets Coldwind Farm verse survivors who are skilled at looping. That match is basically a loss for the killer. It's not the killer's fault, rather terrible map design. But NOED allows the killer to dish out some end game revenge. So when you look at it that way, I don't really have a problem with NOED.

Now if the devs ever nerf these really strong loops survivors have, then I wouldn't care if NOED gets changed too.

• Arroz
    Arroz Member Posts: 1,433

@Cymer said:
    Hello there. 

I dont see any issue with noed
    JUST BREAK THE PALLET
    Just break 5 totems
    Just use enduring/noed/rancor for counter ds..

• illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2021

Nevermind. ######### is up with the forums? Every time I come here it shows old posts on the first page, and I don't notice.

• DawnMad
    DawnMad Member Posts: 1,030

The only issue I have with Noed is it's too strong in solo queue. 4 survivors without coordination doesn't have the time to look for all 5 totems before doing the generators, and Noed has this property where if you miss even just a single totem it will still activate. If it were to scale off of how many totems are left I think the perk would be completely fine.