Endurance in endgame

Options
MrDardon
MrDardon Member Posts: 3,879

So, I have a question. Bhvr, you've said it yourself that in endgame the Killer should be able to secure a kill, so things like DS and Off the Record deactivate.

But there is still that scenario where 2 healthy Survivors can now grab a Survivor for free (thanks to removing hook grabs), which has now basically no counterplay for the Killer, allowing all Survivors to run to the Exit with no risk at all. Add Borrowed Time and now you have 20 seconds to safely get to the Exit.

That situation doesn't sound like I am able to secure a kill in endgame unless I play a Killer who can naturally camp hooks.

In my opinion, Endurance should permanentely and completely deactivate as soon as the Exits are powered to prevent uncounterable situations for the Killer as he should be able to secure a Kill there, as you yourself had said.

Just had 3 Survivors dance out the Exit and I had to basically let them because of basekit BT.

Comments

• MrDardon
    Options

Well, try counting when there is an open Exit right beside the hook with 2 healthy Survivors who can coordinate an unhook.

You can't physically down the Survivor by the time they reach the Exit.

• MrDardon
    Options

But there should be counterplay. Also, who was talking about free kills? There should be a chance of securing a kill, no one mentioned free kills here.

You physically cannot get a kill if the Survivors coordinate and have 2 healthy Survivors do the unhook. They walk out with a free basekit BT

• MrDardon
    Options

I'm ok with no hookgrabs during the game. But in Endgame.. hook grabs could come back.. or.. deactivate Endurance.

• MrDardon
    Options

Getting to endgame doesn't automatically mean you've lost.. not sure where that always comes from.

Second, there might not be a hook in range, so you're forced to hook near the Exit. Also, the Survivor can literally run towards the Exit, making it impossible to reach a far hook.

I'm okay with it being hard getting a kill, but there is a difference between "hard" and "impossible".

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited January 7
    Options

I mean when you want to deactivate perks etc from survivors in endgame. STBFL will be next in the patch notes, because it can be unfair. I don‘t want that perks from both sides deactivate during endgame.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
    Options

while I agree it shouldn't deactivate to be fair it does last ten seconds, granting total immunity for 44m. excluding bodyblocks.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,614
    Options

basically you:

failed to kill multiple survivors before end game

hooked a survivor next to a completed gate or

hooked a survivor next to a gate with no progress and apparently just let the survivors progress it

and still think that you are owed a kill

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

I say the same thing about hatch but people still think hatch needs to exist. If you killed the survivors before they finished the gens, why do you have to close the hatch, and then the survivor STILL gets a chance to go through the gates?

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,623
    Options

Just tunnel people out early and there are less people alive for end game saves if they reach that point of the game.

• Xxjwaynexx
    Xxjwaynexx Member Posts: 269
    Options

^this I don't use perks usually, but I do hook the 1st and second survivor I kill on the hook closest to the exit gates that way when egc those hooks are gone already. Just takes away the brainless(not an insult I'd you do that) play of hooking beside the exit gate after gates are powered.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,180
    Options

They nerfed DS/OTR endgame because survivors should not get a free escape, but killers shouldn't get free kills either endgame.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,745
    edited January 8
    Options

I still think DS and OTR should work in end game because you already get free escapes vs m1 killers by doing hit cooldown into BT -> bodyblock to exit gate.

What OTR and DS were accomplishing is allowing survivor to get 4 man out vs characters like bubba, trickster, huntress, infinity ev3 myer's, aka strong camping killers.

It is technically still possible to escape camping killer now on reliable basis but it is only possible with For the people+Buckle up. This makes you wonder. If FTP+Buckle is the best perks in end game, why did DS/OTR get nerfed in end game when that combo exists for end games? It seems one of dev went back on that DS/OTR change and brag back an even better combo for getting end game escapes. that is only anti-tunnel buff i'd like to see if they ever buff those two perks.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,390
    Options

The bias is astounding.

So let's try and list all the differences before we jump to accusations.

1: The game grinds to a halt without the hatch in a way it doesn't if the killer has a hook close to the gates.

2: BHVR game perspective, each survivor is on their own. Even if you've killed 3 survivors, you haven't beaten the other.

3: Theme - last survivor in a horror movie has much more of a chance of escape than anyone else.

4: Killer perks. Going for an unhook always carries the possibility of a killer with NOED or other end game perks that can snow ball an escape into a 4k. Also certain killers can turn even a hook by the gate into a dangerous situation.

There's no equivalent to hatch play where the survivors somehow manage to revive their teammates.

5: Nothing forces the killer to hook close to the gate.

6: A better description than hatch is what happens when the killer has a survivor in chase after the hatch is closed. At that point the game is finished for the survivor with no chance to escape barring a massive killer mistake. This is the equivalent situation to a survivor being on hook near a 99ed gate, not the hatch being opened.

7: Hatch doesn't count as a full escape.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,643
    Options

They never said you're not going to find yourself in tricky situations that are tough to come back from. 3 survivors alive and healthy in endgame, and 1 survivor hooked right in front of an open exit gate is one of those situations.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

1. The game already grinds to a halt BECAUSE of the hatch. Because the last 2-3 survivors will often hide hoping you to kill the other(s) so that they are the ones who get the hatch. Encouraging the survivors to actively play against each other rather than against the killer.
    2. Right, and those survivors lost the generator game, so again, why does the last survivor get 3 chances?
    3. Theme doesn't matter anymore as BHVR continues to "gamify" things between the anti-camp mechanic, basekit bt, and the fact that survivors are the true power role if you watch any SWF team like hens/ayrun and you'll see that they don't actually care about theme.
    4. Balancing the game around perks is bad
    5. What does this have to do with anything
    6. That is not actually true, most of the time the gates are on opposite ends of the map, and unless the survivor has already been spotted it is yet again another 50/50. So not only did you beat them at the game, but you won the 50/50 and now you need to win a second 50/50.
    7. Sure, but it still doesn't change that it is a terrible mechanic.
  • Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Im sorry, but a few things seem to be at play here.

1: You hooked next to the gates. Opened or not, just try to avoid that.

2: The games are always different and such. This one happened to just not go your way. Just next.

3: No endurance during EGC would kill a LOT of perks, but the biggest one (for me) is DH. I'd rather not.

4: 2 healthy survivors got someone off hook and left. Probably wouldn't have happened if it was just one healthy survivor. That can be frustrating. Im sorry it happened. :(

Crogs said it pretty well with #2. This isnt something that happens to you often Im sure. Otherwise you're just not learning. Just go next :)

• CSANE
    CSANE Member Posts: 4
    Options

Well I get the problem with the hook removal. But basekit BT is just necessary considering killers tend to camp in endgame to secure kills.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,010
    Options

I want hatch removal so the game can finally be balance around 5 Gens done every match.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,879
    Options

Without basekit endurance, any hook made at or near endgame means a guaranteed instant tunnel. You can facecamp the side of the hook, and hit then the instant they finish the unhooking animation.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,390
    Options

@Firellius covers this well, but I'll jump on.

1: The game grinds to a halt because people will try and win anyway they can, including boring the other side into afking. That was true before or after the hatch. As for survivors playing against each other, that's an intentional element of the game and a somewhat unavoidable one in elimination style games.

2: Again game perspective. If you want to say survivors lost, fine, you still have a 3k so you 'won'. The other side is the argument that each survivor is on their own and needs an opportunity to advance the game.

3: Theme doesn't matter anymore

This is profoundly wrong. BHVR isn't spending money on licenses for the fun of it. People deeply care about the theme of the game, that's why there is excitement for killer designs and map feel. It has changed over the years from a stealth horror to a dark comedy/thriller, but the theme is incredibly important. The idea that some players, who have put in the equivalent of the time spent by a child in the K-12 education system, are burned out is

A: Not at all surprising.

B: Irrelevant as their experience is so radically far outside the norm

C: Ignores that these people continue to play because of Twitch were the theme is one of the key reasons for the game's popularity

D: Not that different from horror fanatics who become somewhat immune to the very thing they are a fan of

E: Probably not even true as I've seen many of these huge accounts talk about the importance of theme and fun

The power role comment is bait to try and pull this thread into a totally different discussion.

4: Agree with the general statement, except that's not the issue here. This isn't like, say Reassurance before anti-camp, where the survivors have to guess ahead of time on killer strategy and hope someone not on hook has the right perk. Survivors don't start the game in the exit gate. The killer had the option of bringing a build to try and prevent them from getting to that spot or a build that can capitalize on that moment.

And even without a particular build the killer still doesn't have to hook by the gates. This situation only occurs if the survivors are on the cusp of escaping already. This gets to the next 2 points that there are situations (for survivor or killer) where the realistic answer to 'no counterplay' is that it had to happen earlier.

5: Because the killer never has to hook near the exit gate. The only situation this happens is if survivors have played the situation to the point that the killer doesn't have a farther viable option.

This would be like a survivor complaining that they went down on death hook right next to a hook and now they have no counterplay left. That's inevitable that there will come a point where the counterplay needed to happen earlier.

6: I specified that they were in chase and the hatch was closed.

Which, if anything, is being more generous to the killer here. The requirements for the OP scenario complaining about lack of counterplay requires the following

A: Downing the survivor near the exit gate so there are no real "viable" hook to carry them to

B: That survivor not already being on death hook

C: At least two other survivors being alive to attempt a rescue

D: The killer not having any end game perks/strategies that allow them to protect this situation.

I'd say that is like the idea of the killer chasing a survivor after the hatch is closed. The match is "decided" unless one side makes a tremendous error. The only difference being survivors are frequently put in that position for longer periods of time while it is much more rare for the killer and usually doesn't eat up as much gameplay.

7: It's a needed mechanic given the elimination nature of the game. It's possible there could be an alternate approach to the idea of how the 1 or 2 survivors left at the end of the game have an incentive to keep playing, but that's a question of implementation not of concept.

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 399
    Options

I just have to mention that all of your arguments in this thread have been illogical so far- You say that one side shouldn't get a free kill while also saying that the other side should get a free escape which is straight favoritism which, as been demonstrated in controversies from multiple places, isn't a good standing in debates. And it's not free kills either because the killer already did the work to down + hook that survivor and it would get the message through to a lot of players to not be greedy during endgame because there's a decent amount of survivors who could've had 3 escapes in my games end up only getting 1 escape because they got greedy for the unhook. THAT is called giving free kills.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

This trade is coming with survivors are losing their perks at end game. But killer does not. Killer still can get a kill with STBFL for example.

Survivors have only base-kit BT at end game. If we are gonna deactivate it, then DS and OTR need to back old versions. Buy it or leave it.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,045
    Options

You say that one side shouldn't get a free kill while also saying that the other side should get a free escape which is straight favoritism

Not at all. The hatch is not a free escape. It requires three survivors to die and for the last remaining survivor to reach the hatch before the killer does.

And it's not free kills either because the killer already did the work to down + hook that survivor

Downs are effectively unavoidable. Chases can take a while, but no chase will last forever. Without the help of the right perks, breaking a chase is nearly impossible.

• Onyx_0110
    Onyx_0110 Member Posts: 43
    Options

Try to find a good hook during endgame so camping is easier, somewhere in a corner works really well if you can pull it off.

But yeah, since removing hook grabs, you basically just have to learn to dance lol... Practice that body blocking and getting good at hitting before they can reach hook (or getting them to stun during the unhook animation).

• bobateo
    bobateo Member Posts: 368
    Options
  • Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

If the survivor is hooked somewhat near an open exit gate, its a free escape... nothing the killer can do about it.

• I always tell my team to open the exit gate before unhooking me for that same reason.
  • Unknown2765
    Options

It works every time for me tho... but its still a free escape if my team know what they are doing, and the do (in most cases).

They split, so if the killer push one out, the other one unhooks me and we go for the safe exit. So there is really no choice for the killer than to camp the hook im on, and that goes as i previously explained. Im sure you already know this too.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

It’s not a free escape. They had to survive the entire match up to endgame and outsmart/evade the killer to escape the trial. If they’re coaxing the killer away from the hooked survivor that’s sort of a mistake on the killer’s part. It’s gonna depend on the killer of course but could just use Blood Warden to stall or simply not leave the hook to push other survivors out. With the gates open their time is ticking down anyway.

• Unknown2765
    Options

Bloodwarden require a hook after the gates have been opened, and i think most survivors know that if the killer opens that gate before hooking, they should get out ASAP.

And it is a free escape, as i already stated :

If the survivor is hooked somewhat near an open exit gate, its a free escape... nothing the killer can do about it.

I always tell my team to open the exit gate before unhooking me for that same reason.

Especially after the grabbing have been removed, survivor takes a hit while im getting unhooked, now i bodyblock with endurance and get sprint boost -> everyone gets out.

Easy win at that pont.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,405
    Options

Yeah, it's called they hook trade against any competent Killer.