We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Are we too addicted to perks? | Survival Game mode

I get that perks are the main selling point for new survivor dlc's and sometimes even killers.

Recently I started to question the way this game operates. It seems a lot comes down to choosing the right perks as killer or survivor and making the game about it.

It sure adds a variety to the playstile which is good for a game but ultimately the killers power is just half of the deal at the current point (except for some blight or nurse mains). Some games are just won because of builds and not skill.

When I started the game years ago I thought perks would be a little enhancement or help but sometimes they are a complete game changer, especially when its a whole build around it. Sometimes they are everyting between you and your goal or everything to reach it. A build can carry an entire match.

Lately I felt like we all are too dependant on this. What if perks really just were little enhancements or not even there in the first place.

I don't want to redesign the game or something but having a game mode where perks are not making half the deal and are just very little enhancements feels like we actually have to focus on skill as killer or survivor. Sure new builds and stuff kind of keep the game alive but it still feels stale lately, especially with meta builds.

I think we are at the point where new game modes would bring fresh air into this and one of them could be that we have to deal with perks not being a game carrier.

Comments

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,228

I agree with this. As a randomizer (every single Trial I go in with randomized setups) I can attest that Perks can do a lot of good, but can only get someone so far. I've gone in as both roles with some bad combinations, yet still beaten many people who go in with the full meta. Likewise, some of those lesser Perks have actually been proven very useful, where if I had bought in something dofferent the result could have been much worse.

I would be happy to have maybe some mini-special challenges which offer some great rewards, whereby to enter you have to go in with no Perks, Items, Add-ons or Offerings. Maybe challenges could require a specific Killer, which could be used for that challenge only (so if you don't have the Killer, it's like a basekit Trial).

Of course, it would be an optional extra, so people don't have to take it. However, this could be dubbed a Primal Trial, where the rewards are worth trying. It may also encourage people to buy a Killer they originally had never planned on doing so, finding they actually enjoy it, so it may help a little with sales and experimentation.