The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Crazy Idea

Hey Devs, instead of buffing self care how about you fix GEN TAPPING to counter Ruin??????
This whack tactic has been used by scrubs for well over a year now and its still here!! HOW DO YOU JUSTIFY THIS?
OR HAVE YOU JUST FORGOTTEN IT EXISTS? Seriously it takes away one of the 4 PERKS a KILLER has. And the best part is that after 30 seconds the perk will be gone anyway! WHY? BC THE TOTEMS STILL SPAWN NEXT TO GENS AND EVEN RIGHT BESIDES SURVIVORS. But I´m not complaining about something that has been wrong with the game and a known issue for over a year. Please buff selfcare it really needs it. Not like everyone is using it already.

Comments

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

@Skrill0x said:
    Hey Devs, instead of buffing self care how about you fix GEN TAPPING to counter Ruin??????
    This whack tactic has been used by scrubs for well over a year now and its still here!! HOW DO YOU JUSTIFY THIS?
    OR HAVE YOU JUST FORGOTTEN IT EXISTS? Seriously it takes away one of the 4 PERKS a KILLER has. And the best part is that after 30 seconds the perk will be gone anyway! WHY? BC THE TOTEMS STILL SPAWN NEXT TO GENS AND EVEN RIGHT BESIDES SURVIVORS. But I´m not complaining about something that has been wrong with the game and a known issue for over a year. Please buff selfcare it really needs it. Not like everyone is using it already.

It's a "counter" (cause there's no point really). Same goes for dribbling for example

• Watery
    Watery Member Posts: 1,167

Tapping takes way more time to complete a generator. They’d be better off find and cleansing your hex instead. That’d also mean, that regressing generators would have their own version of overcharge on them. Plus, skillchecks (great ones, particularly) are very easy to hit once you get the hang of it. Ruin, is a risky perk these days. If you’re not running something to monitor your totems, you’re throwing away a perk slot.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    You can't fix something that's not broken. Tapping it is not instant, there is a delay each time they tap it before it actually starts repairing the generator. The generator takes significantly longer if they do that, which is the entire point of ruin. They'd be going faster if they just got gud and started hitting the skill checks.

Also if you check the PTB patch notes, totems placement is now going to be reviewed on a regular basis.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    edited January 2019
    Have u ever tried to gentap? It's slow as hell.
    If a survivor needs to repair a gen by doing that don't worry, they'll be easy to catch.
  • DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    edited January 2019
    Vietfox said:
    Have u ever tried to gentap? It's slow as hell.
    If a survivor needs to repair a gen by doing that don't worry, they'll be easy to catch.
    Or they are good but just play on low fps. I used to gentap aswell when my pc was ######### and I had 30fps cuz its insanely hard to hit them. But now with 60+ fps it's easy af
  • 0uchMyMeg
    0uchMyMeg Member Posts: 13

@Vortexas said:
    They are punishing themselves by Gen Tapping trust me.

It's much faster to simply power through the ruin, than tap even if you can't get hit those hex skill checks.

The survivors get less objective points that way as well, because they're not hitting any skill checks while Ruin is still active xD

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454

Lol the only time gen tapping is a issue with me is when im a survivor... I’m like ######### work thou it it’s not that hard...
    Wanna tell them...

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

@Skrill0x said:

Lots of Caps here :) I can see you mean BUSINESS

• @Vortexas said:

It's much faster to simply power through the ruin, than tap even if you can't get hit those hex skill checks.

I just started using gen tapping- it works way better than powering through.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@wouldntyouliketoknow said:

@Vortexas said:

Practice Great Skill Checks. If you can hit Great Skill Checks every time, generators will take 80 seconds. If you tap, however, there's a short period where you can't interact with the generator every single time, and it quickly adds up.

• @Orion said:

@Vortexas said:

Practice Great Skill Checks. If you can hit Great Skill Checks every time, generators will take 80 seconds. If you tap, however, there's a short period where you can't interact with the generator every single time, and it quickly adds up.

Hey Orion, are you stalking me or is this all you do with your time?

• Orion

@Orion said:

@Vortexas said:

Just waiting for lunch and trying to give out friendly advice. You can take it or leave it.

• wouldntyouliketoknow
    wouldntyouliketoknow Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2019

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

@Vortexas said:

Just waiting for lunch and trying to give out friendly advice. You can take it or leave it.

5,000 posts don't come from just waiting for lunch, and you've only joined in june!? Lol okay. I guess I'll just have to take your word for it.

Also, next time you can just say "get gud" because that's what your advice basically is.

• Orion

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

@Vortexas said:

5,000 posts don't come from just waiting for lunch, and you've only joined in june!? Lol okay. I guess I'll just have to take your word for it.

Also, next time you can just say "get gud" because that's what your advice basically is.

I was referring to now, specifically.

I merely pointed out that hitting Great Skill Checks makes generator repair faster than tapping. Like I said, you can take it or leave it.

• wouldntyouliketoknow
    edited January 2019

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

@Vortexas said:

I merely pointed out that hitting Great Skill Checks makes generator repair faster than tapping. Like I said, you can take it or leave it.

You're assuming no one is aiming for great skill checks already, so uh, yeah. Thanks. Great advice /s. Also you have some seriously long lunch breaks.

• BACKSTABBER
    BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809

u all wrong, gentapping takes more time yes, but you do not trigger explosions

• Orion

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

@Vortexas said:

You're assuming no one is aiming for great skill checks already, so uh, yeah. Thanks. Great advice /s

No, I just know that some people can't hit Great Skill Checks consistently, which is often why they use the inferior tactic known as "gen tapping". Personally, I prefer to just find the totem, since I consider both the previous tactics to be boring, although that get frustrating as well when the totem is hard to find.

• wouldntyouliketoknow
    edited January 2019

@BACKSTABBER said:
    u all wrong, gentapping takes more time yes, but you do not trigger explosions

Also gen tapping, if you can't get great skill checks, helps prevent the removal of progress when you get a skill check. You can also look for the totem, which I do, but some games it's just so well hidden it's faster to gen tap.

• BACKSTABBER

You can't fix something that's not broken. Tapping it is not instant, there is a delay each time they tap it before it actually starts repairing the generator. The generator takes significantly longer if they do that, which is the entire point of ruin. They'd be going faster if they just got gud and started hitting the skill checks.

Also if you check the PTB patch notes, totems placement is now going to be reviewed on a regular basis.

im sorry but this time @Peanits is not right this time, the entire point of ruin is also triggering explosions and you break such with gentapping technique, yes takes longer, but killers will not receive alerts #broken

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited January 2019

im sorry but this time @Peanits is not right this time, the entire point of ruin is also triggering explosions and you break such with gentapping technique, yes takes longer, but killers will not receive alerts #broken

Ruin does not make the skillchecks more difficult at all nor give Killers alerts. Imagine the poor Killer having to listen to all those alerts. 

The only one who would die would be the Killer because of suicide.
  • PiiFree
    PiiFree Member Posts: 1,154

@Cardgrey said:
    Lol the only time gen tapping is a issue with me is when im a survivor... I’m like ######### work thou it it’s not that hard...
    Wanna tell them...

I always point at them and start to teabag, hoping that they might consider to git gud instead of gen tapping through it lol

• BACKSTABBER
    edited January 2019

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    BACKSTABBER said:

Ruin does not make the skillchecks more difficult at all nor give Killers alerts. Imagine the poor Killer having to listen to all those alerts. 

ruin's black and red skillchecks are more difficult because you dont get used to that visuals often

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited January 2019

BACKSTABBER said:

ruin's black and red skillchecks are more difficult because you dont get used to that visuals often

Only if you're legit blind i guess, and at that point you probably have way bigger issues to deal with.
  • Orion

Only if you're legit blind i guess, and at that point you probably have way bigger issues to deal with.

Some people are colorblind, but even those who aren't have different sensitivities to different colors. Some people find red on black easy to read, others not so much.

• BACKSTABBER
    edited January 2019

@Orion said:

Some people are colorblind, but even those who aren't have different sensitivities to different colors. Some people find red on black easy to read, others not so much.

im not diagnosed any eye disease but im sure for me is harder red and black skillchecks that regular ones, like most of people I guess

• ChesterTheMolester
    Orion said:

Yeah but using that as a justification to fix gen tapping is a bit of a stretch. 

Gentappers are stupid so just let them stay stupid. Killers gets easier games and they get punished for it. It works.
  • Orion
    edited January 2019

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Orion said:

im not diagnosed any eye disease but im sure for me is harder red and black skillchecks that regular ones, like most of people I guess

Same here. Well, except for the "eye disease" bit. I do have a couple of those...

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited January 2019
    Orion said:

@BACKSTABBER said:

@Orion said:

Same here.

Maybe its psychological, with red being a warning color and all, however i will say that i don't miss more skillchecks cause of that so it can be probably shrugged off.
  • Orion

Maybe its psychological, with red being a warning color and all, however i will say that i don't miss more skillchecks cause of that so it can be probably shrugged off.

It's physiological, I'm afraid.

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited January 2019
    Orion said:

It's physiological, I'm afraid.

Hmm, not a Doctor, i will say that they should perhaps change the color, but i still insist thats no reason to fix gen tapping by itself.
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

I wish people would gen tap every time I use ruin....

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Vortexas said:

Its only faster if they are competent enough to hit skillchecks, and sadly even at rank 1 this is not always the case

• Cardgrey

@Master said:

@Vortexas said:

Its only faster if they are competent enough to hit skillchecks, and sadly even at rank 1 this is not always the case

O.o I say they should make u put in a mortal kombat finishing move combo on skillchecks =p like ➡️➡️⬇️↙️➡️ 🅰️🅱️🅱️🅰️ o.o
    Then I’d understand gentapping lol
    Jk btw

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

@Vortexas said:

I joined in May and have got over 5100 and no that's not what his advice is even if the end result is that's what happens.

If you practice your great skill checks you can ignore Ruin and stockpile the bonus bp pretty quickly to boot.

http://mistersyms.com/tools/gitgud/index

It's a skillcheck simulator where you can practice to your heart's content.

• powerbats

Also any killers complaining about gen tapping need to look themselves in mirror and say to themselves I like gen tapping.

Because if someone is gen tapping it means they're bad/ lazy/ a bot and you can pretty much ignore them and go for the actual good players.

Since by the time they finish that gen several minutes later you could've already downed and hooked 1-2 people.

• Cardgrey

@powerbats said:
    Also any killers complaining about gen tapping need to look themselves in mirror and say to themselves I like gen tapping.

Because if someone is gen tapping it means they're bad/ lazy/ a bot and you can pretty much ignore them and go for the actual good players.

Since by the time they finish that gen several minutes later you could've already downed and hooked 1-2 people.

Or u could use them as bait to get the good players off the gens =p
    Btw thanks for the defense in the now erased thread lol

• SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146

Why on earth do people still complain about gen tapping. The best thing you can hope for with ruin is that the imbeciles tap the gen versus working through it. Tapping is agonizingly slow versus just working on it normally. Add it a bit of latency and it is going to take ages too fix a gen. Watching paint dry is quicker than gen tapping.

• powerbats

@Cardgrey said:

@powerbats said:

Or u could use them as bait to get the good players off the gens =p
    Btw thanks for the defense in the now erased thread lol

👍

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@powerbats said:

If an exploit is just a lazy workaround, that doesnt mean that the exploit doesnt need a fix.

• ChesterTheMolester
    Master said:

@powerbats said:

If an exploit is just a lazy workaround, that doesnt mean that the exploit doesnt need a fix.

If the same exploit basicly punishes them enough to make it the worst option by itself then nothing is really broken. 

Let them stay dumb.
  • LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154
    1. Gen tapping is a waste of time for survivors and an advantage for the killer.
    2. The devs are working on totem placement.
    3. They are not buffing self care, they won't change self care but will keep the version they have in the PTB and use it as a perk of it's own in the future.
    4. Git gud.
  • Watery
    Watery Member Posts: 1,167
    The issue with this post is that Ruin is a risky run these days if you don’t have the proper build for it.
    Even if you gen-tap, you’re better off finding it as it “slows the game down just a lil bit”. Hex Skillchecks, while annoying, are easy enough to hit (greats) if you have considerable practice. Not to say those on here don’t, of course. I’m just saying it really is dependent upon the scenario, and the constant worry for the other hexes. By that I mean, DH, HL, HG, and so on. 

Also, adding to the Red color debate, Red has multiple “meanings”, positive, neutral, and negative. The color red is often associated with love, strain, danger, war, and of course blood. The dull colors of this game adding to its intensity makes me think it depicts strain- as it means to drag out, or make a strenuous or unusually great effort.
    Here’s my source about the color red: https://www.colorpsychology.org/red/.
    Though I couldn’t seem to find any decent evidence, I based my opinion on the link above. It is an article about the psychology of the color red itself, and is quite an interesting read.
  • @powerbats said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

@Vortexas said:

I joined in May and have got over 5100 and no that's not what his advice is even if the end result is that's what happens.

If you practice your great skill checks you can ignore Ruin and stockpile the bonus bp pretty quickly to boot.

http://mistersyms.com/tools/gitgud/index

It's a skillcheck simulator where you can practice to your heart's content.

Thank you, I didn't know anything like this existed.

• powerbats

@Master said:

@powerbats said:

If somethings not an exploit then it's not listed as an exploit by the devs just like dribbling so since neither are listed as an exploit that means neither is an exploit.