The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Purposes of Dead Hard and Usage (Old VS New)

RyanTheNCR
RyanTheNCR Member Posts: 57
edited February 26 in Feedback and Suggestions

Old Dead Hard

Purpose: Dodge Huntress' Hatchets, Nemesis Tentacle strike, Trapper's Traps, Nurse's suprise attack, The Clown's tonics advantage, Demogorgon's Shred attack, Deathslinger's harpoon shots, Pyramid Head's special attack, Blight's lunge attack, and make it to pallets quickly.

New Dead Hard (Currently)

Purpose: Used as a last resort to take any kind of hit that the killer has, if you're lucky enough to time the endurances perfectly, sure, you can gain extra distances and buys you little time before the killer catches up. If not, you have an unlucky day to be sacrificed or killed in the match easily.

What do you think of these results?

Comments

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359

great, its got an insane effect limited by usage. decent anti tunnel.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437

The old dead hard has a cooler effect, which could be used to do many fun things.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

Old DH was a great example of "fun at the complete expense of the other side".

Every time a survivor that got outplayed dashed to vault or pallet that should be completely out of reach and got away and extended the chase but 30+s, a little part in my died. After the thousandy DH I got dead eyes that glaced over, when they did it, it was soul crushing. And people defended it in the most rileing manner: "ts ts ts, if you outplayed them, but they DH to safety, did you really outplay them? Fufufu." or another favorite "lol bro, its just a perk in the game. There is nothing wrong in using it." And of course "skill issues. Git gud, scrub."

For a very very short moment in time, afte 6.1 dropped, we had this wild moment when everything was possible and people tried all kind of new perks or builds and only the sky was the limit. During that time, when I got hit by a DH, I raised my eyebrows and applauded the survivor "woah. that was really skillful. Good job, dude!". But very, very soon survivors found out how to bait slaps, how to greed pallets with it and how to use it to its max and it became extremely obnoxious, again.

I feel sorry for the people who loved their little dash, but no perk had such an influence and strangelhold over DBD then DH. Its not that "survivors can't have strong things", its how slim this margin of influence is that can be given. God loopers and middle of the road casual survivors are like Nurse and Trapper, but they are both in the same game and have access to the same perks. A Trapper with Awakened Awareness is no big deal and he might see someone hiding behind a rock and go there after the hook, but a nurse can see people hiding at another story and just beeline to them and down them instantly. Its the same with DH in the hands of a casual, who can occasionally get out of a sticky situation, and a 5k hours god looper who can 99% of the time run every killer for 3min minimum, but then still had the DH when they messed up, got mindgamed or Bloodlust 3 eventually kicked it. Like I said, it was soul crushing.

MFT was the other big such perk that was "so much fun to use" for the survivors, but again utterly soulcrushing for the killers, who ineffectual hat to chase after survivors that they just couldn't catch and that could greed another two rounds around an utterly trashheap of a loop, literally, before smacking that pallet in their face and zooming off to the next.

Its not that "survivors can't have strong perks", but that this "its so fun to use" perks very often tip the careful balance of the game over and trample it into the ground. Eruption was the killers version of that, that just had to go, because it was utterly miserable for the survivors to play against. Or Chessmerchant. Sometimes we just have to let things go for the greater good.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,542

I believe you weren't around back then, so you didn't see what some of us saw. DH was not only stronger and "more fun" but also incredibly overused. So badly, that it was no longer a question of if that survivor would use DH but when they would do it. It was the single most insufferable thing at the time for killers. Knowing that every survivor, if they hadn't used a different exhaustion perk in that chase would just DH for distance to get to a pallet or window even when they should go down was horrible.

And you didn't have to wait it out once or twice per game but pretty much every chase. Though waiting out DH wasn't very effective anyway since then that survivor would simply hold off on their DH until they got in range of a pallet or window before they proceeded to use it for distance. Meaning, DH guaranteed value. Value that almost equated to a third health state.

I remember when I introduced a friend of mine to the game and he played one of his first games as a killer. He was playing Wraith with pretty much no perks and he faced a 4 survivors with DH. Now, how exactly do you explain to a new player, that they aren't allowed to hit injured survivors until they used their DH? You can't because they will not understand it. But they will feel robbed. It was terrible to watch and it probably felt even worse for him.

This can never return. Current DH is still a fine perk. The payoff is arguable even higher than it was before but it has some much needed limitations and it's not the most used perk anymore (thank god for that).