The New Killer Has Resulted In A Lot Of Transphobia :(

Options
Iron_Cutlass
Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,828

The new Killer has outfits that cater to men and women but I’ve seen a lot of people intentionally using these outfits with names (often using slurs) specifically targeted towards attacking and harassing trans people.

I’ve had 3 matches already where people have done this and targeted me for using a Trans Pride charm, I’ve sent reports but it feels like nothing has really happened from the reports. Furthermore these people also harass me in the post-game chat or leave awful comments on my profile if I have already left the match.

I wish people were nicer and didn’t ruin the new Killer this way. :(

I’ve seen a lot of awful posts on social media as well (especially DBDTwitter), and I’ve basically had to take a break from the game altogether or only play Killer to avoid this stuff, it’s really bad.

Comments

• Zraith
    Zraith Member Posts: 143
    Options

How would you know if something happened following your reports within just a few days? Normally you get a notification about action done following a report when you launch the game. In my experience it takes weeks or months for such a prompt to show up.

BTW how do you know they targeted you because of a charm? Did they tell you specifically?

• grossskidd
    grossskidd Member Posts: 2
    Options

Wait until these people find out the new killers VA is a trans woman

• Hexling
    Hexling Member Posts: 657
    Options

Well that's pretty weird you don't run into legions like that then. not saying its not happening just kind of strange.

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 606
    Options

´´ a lot of people ´´? how many?

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,631
    Options

I'd report anyone with any sort of slur in their name, and if they outright say in chat that they targeted you for your trans charm then report that too (devs have access to the chat logs). I imagine any sort of action won't happen overnight, especially with people flooding the system with silly reports on tunnelling, teabagging, etc.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options
  • catnip18
    catnip18 Member Posts: 149
    Options

they literally told you in the post they posted 10 minutes before yours, did you take 10 minutes to type up 15 words?

• catnip18
    catnip18 Member Posts: 149
    Options

I'm not trans but I use the trans flag because I support them and I've experienced it. Let me know how many people you know who use it who dont experience it and we can compare, but i'd guess its well over 70%

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,675
    Options
  • Iron_Cutlass
    Options

I dont mean to sound rude, but you really did not read the thread did you?

It's not happenstance.

^ I explained it here as well.

• TheSingularity
    TheSingularity Member Posts: 1,684
    edited March 14
    Options

Charms are so small on survivors, why anyone would even focus on them to choose who to target really speaks volumes. Or in my case 10011100110.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

Also noteworthy: I do have the fact that I am trans on my Steam profile, but it's like a small section in a wall of text stuck in the middle of my bio... they can technically use that if they use Steam.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,240
    edited March 14
    Options

I'll admit, I haven't read the other posts. Sorry about that.

That's terrible. I really don't understand why anyone would care about that. But I guess, using logic to explain this isn't the right approach in the first place. That's definitely despicable behavior and I hope these people get banned.

It's just a pattern of colors after all. To some it means something but to me it's nothing more, so I really don't get the fuss about it. If it makes people feel happy to have a specific pattern of colors in the game, then good for them. But why would anyone else care?

• opxtreme
    opxtreme Member Posts: 69
    Options

The way the Unknown's cosmetics are created, you can mix the male and female body parts, essentially creating a mock transngender individual. Its really mean to especially target someone who is trans while using these cosmetics, your basically ignoring non LGBTQ members but going for people who are members

• opxtreme
    Options

I think an easy fix to this is make each genders body parts sets so they can't be misused for harassment

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

It's a bit more than colors. It's a symbol of existence. It's a symbol of being able to stand after being dragged down repeatedly.

It holds a lot of meaning to those who wave it, which is why certain people dont like it.

• opxtreme
    Options

U cant play with male and female body cosmetics as legion, so u can't really harrass people like that with this killer. By playing woth cosmetics of both genders, you essentially are creating a trans gender killer in a way.

• Zakon05
    Zakon05 Member Posts: 125
    Options

Damn, I was worried this would happen when I saw you could freely mix and match the female and male cosmetics.

I don't know how BHVR will prevent this, either. With Bubba it was as easy as removing the masks, but with Unknown, you can buy individual pieces of their cosmetics without buying the full set. So just forcing the sets to link together doesn't seem possible.

• coco_shotz
    coco_shotz Member Posts: 249
    Options

One of the best things I can tell you to do (if you haven't already) is get screen caps of these transphobic slurs that you are receiving. If this is not harassment exclusive to dbd (you did mention they harassed you on your profile but idk if you meant your actual gaming profile or your dbd one) you can screen cap that and report it to your platforms uppers be it steam, psn or Xbox. Again you probably thought of this already but if you haven't done this yet then I highly suggest it as the dbd report system is honestly a joke. I know this doesn't erase what people can do on the game itself but I also encourage you to not take it too much to heart as video games have the same rules as the Internet as a whole and it's a terrible and lawless place. Hope things get better for you

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,614
    Options

The leatherface incident showed that removing/changing content is BHVR's way to deal with things like that

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,746
    Options

Okey this is something i can understand.

We have another post talking about the new killer and its cosmetics and transphobia. The claim there is that the cheerleader outfit is a madculin body in female clothing and thats what leads to people acting transphobic wich i could not understand since I could not see that body as masculin but this makes more sense

I can see how people might use the fact that you csn match male and female cosmetics together might leave room to use it to bully trans people especially if they specitarget users of the trans pride charm kinda reminds me of the buba problem we had.

Best thing would be to link them as sets wich would be kinda sad since then you could also not combine parts of two female skins but it may be the best they can do and ofcourse they need to target the people who act like this. But then bhvr should refund everyone the skins cause i know a lot of people dont like Sets and may had mot bought them if they where Sets from the beginning

• alpha5
    alpha5 Member Posts: 181
    Options

Take off the charm for a couple of games and see if you notice a difference.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,422
    Options

How are you reporting them?

For chat harassment (in-game) and offensive user names the in-game report should be enough. Don't report them in-game or through support if they do that, if it's outside the game you need to report it on the platform where it happened (Steam for example).

If they are posting on your Steam profile you can report them there. They can and absolutely will be banned by Valve if they do that. You get a notification on Steam that tells you that they handled you report, but it can be slow.

For anything else, such as being targeted, you need to report in-game AND make a support ticket with evidence. If they are harassing you in the chat and your profile as well you can include that in the ticket, though I don't know if support needs that.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,879
    Options

There will always be some rejects, and I'd just like to bring up the Bubba scenario when the survivor skinned faces were removed because of racist vermin using it.

The cosmetics could be reworked if things continue, and I would understand it. It would be a shame though. Perhaps reporting these players and some IP bans may help avoid this if possible though.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,414
    edited March 14
    Options

The cosmetics should not be reworked to cater to people with such an awful mindset. With that we can also remove the Pride Charms, simply because people get upset about them and start to tunnel people with the Pride Charm equipped. And you know as well as I do that this would be the wrong direction to go. (And it would also not solve the problem)

You dont cater to people like this, you ban them. If someone thinks it is funny or necessary to make transphobic nicknames while mis-matching Unknowns cosmetics to send some form of message, they can do that in another game. If someone thinks they can be transphobic on the DBDTwitter, they should be banned from it. Those people should simply not be part of the community, easy as that. There is freedom of speech and there is just being a dick. And just being a dick is enough of a reason to remove those people from whereever platform they operate, even in the game itself.

@Topic:

Does not surprise me in the slightest. And this is the sad thing. I honestly did not think that the cosmetics can be used in that kind of way, but it makes sense that some people think it is needed to do that.

Sadly I cannot say from my experience that BHVR is really taking action all the time. At some point I got tunneled out by a Doctor for wearing the Pride-Charm. And it was simply because of that, since they said it in Postgame-Chat and also called me names, from the F-Word to even worse things. And yet this person was not banned (I kept looking at their Steam-Profile for a few weeks after the incident, but nothing happened).

Yet I hope that they decide to act if it is clear that someone is doing that to hurt trans people. And I think transphobic nicknames should be a quite clear indicator for that.

• purp1ehaze
    purp1ehaze Member Posts: 10
    Options

For example, there is no gender field on Steam profile, nor on DbD account. It's that they choose to reveal it and decisions must be free.

I say again and again, harassment is wrong. However, sadly, harassment does exist.

I think that risks that can be avoided should be avoided.