Raccoon City Police Station East Wing (Raccoon City)

Options
Peanits
Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,375
edited March 22 in Mapping the Realm

We'd like to know what you think about the East Wing variant of the Raccoon City Police Station map, part of the Raccoon City realm. Please leave any feedback you have concerning this map as a comment on this thread. Your feedback can be as brief or detailed as you'd like!

Raccoon City Police Station East Wing (Raccoon City) 170 votes

This map favours Survivors
35% 60 votes
This map feels balanced
39% 67 votes
This map favours Killers
25% 43 votes
Post edited by Jocelynbee on

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,205
    Options

Always forget which is which.. this is the one with the helicopter area being open right?

well I don’t feel a big difference for both variants anyways so..

kinda annoying for both sides, very 3-gen-favoured and not much mind game potential, most loops are straight forward. Splitting and rework helped definitely though not enough.

aesthetically very cool though, it’s very close to the origin while you can clearly see the Entity’s influence and its adjustments for DbD gameplay worked better than I would have expected

• Gabe_Soma
    Gabe_Soma Member Posts: 276
    Options

Same as the West Wing.

Very 3-gen-favoured (the hall is very problematic), loops are underwhelming and hooks too easy to defend as killer. Overall the gameplay experience is quite bad.

• WhoSoup
    WhoSoup Member Posts: 150
    Options

One of the biggest snooze maps in the game. There's practically no interactivity in gameplay or chases, just one long loop that survivors are forced to run. The outside path with the gen, the welcome desk loop, the two stairs in main, the helicopter pad loop, toilet loop, etc. Once a survivor runs down one of the known paths, there is no deviation and you're just holding W. The generator spawns don't vary too much and there is virtually no randomization on the map, so every game plays out the same.

Never like seeing this map, it's so boring.

Plus points: RCPS is extremely easy to navigate. I am never, ever lost. That is extremely nice for an indoor map.

• Samatrain
    Samatrain Member Posts: 80
    Options

This one is more forgettable than West. The library is such a unique part of the map and fairly big part of RE2. All the sentiments about West Wing apply here... things are too cramped, pallets and windows are nothing crazy, and navigation can be tough.

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,340
    edited March 14
    Options

Just plays horribly for many killers because of the narrow corridors, cutting people off is rough because they have many different ways to go, therefore enabling more hold w gameplay. Especially the stairs in the main hall are ridiculous for that...

As survivor you can hide fairly easily, whereas as killer your tracking is limited, because you don't see scratch marks in the distance and crows are rarely use full either.

If the survivors play somewhat stealthy it favors them quite alot, as they could be God knows where when you finally arrive.

The map also feels frustrating because of its layout, oftentimes you know exactly where someone is because you hear the Gen above, but you will take another 20-30 seconds to get there...

I dont like the map for either side, as it does not offer fun or interactive gameplay, no cutting people off, no tricking the killer with your patching, as he will straight follow anyway, because everything else is way too risky...

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,337
    Options

Not my favorite realm, but still way better than it was before the rework when the whole building was a single map.

A few specific killers are really bad on this map, but overall as long as you aren't one of those killers I don't think this map really favors either side, it is just not very fun to play on.

The lower-level outside area on the east side of the map (this applies to both versions of the map though since this area is open on both) could use a couple of lockers, there aren't any out there. Maybe there could be one here where that bush is?

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,392
    Options

Two of the least enjoyable maps in the game for both sides and I somehow manage to get one of them every 5 games…

• AMGC
    AMGC Member Posts: 39
    Options

Raccoon City Police Station is a licensed indoors map that classifies as one of the worst designed realms in the game, and after its rework, the resulting maps combine the most unpleasant traits from each indoors map that preceded them. The intrusive over-saturated line of sight blockers that cripple so many killer powers from Treatment Theatre & The Underground Complex; the numerous, easy to use & very powerful pallets from The Game; and the awkward navigation from Midwich Elementary School that removes the ability to cut off survivors in chase & heavily enhances defending hooks by controlling the limited entrances.

All the amalgamated issues along with the incredibly fixed layout (where all the pallets have a few predictable spots & the one that may not spawn depends on the position of the pallet of the adjacent room) provide such powerful safety in which the killer can't cut off and gets their line of sight blocked most of the time; and the survivors can keep running and switching floors while making use of the resources in the way to extend the distance. With such uninteractive chases, most killers are heavily incentiviced to play into territorial tactics and / or follow alternative strategies of reduced interactions with the survivors.

The main hall counts with a very powerful pallet and possibly the strongest distance holder in the game, where survivors can make optimal use of their headstart while keeping track of the killer and leaving no room to get cut off. The open nature of the hall shuts down the potential for an ambush to a certain degree. Defending a survivor on the central hook while controlling the access to both wings of the map can offer a notable advantage to the killer.

The main gate outside section is a large scale distance holder where the survivors can force the killer into a time wasting long detour in chase if they count with a severe headstart. The generator that often spawns there is usually not worth patrolling and it is also hard to ambush. The hooks in this section can be very powerful to defend since it is very easy to control the entrances.

RPD East Wing can be considered balanced but for the wrong reasons, since the chases are so one sided in the survivors' favor and the generator spread can often be problematic with perimeters to defend. The limited space of the West Wing offers a very zonable terrain where hooked survivors and generators are easily controlled from the main hall, granting a tactical advantage to scheming killers. The exclusive sections (at the East Wing) of this variant include a very powerful window at the roof (where ambushes may be ineffective) along with several very powerful connected pallets. The interrogation room sometimes offers a very powerful to defend hook.

The issues of this realm are very hard to treat given the licensed nature of it, very creative solutions are required to mitigate the uninteractive gameplay that the map handles.

• Squippit
    Squippit Member Posts: 88
    Options

While I like the addition of the outdoor section out front from what we originally had, I do still miss the original combined RPD. Except the second floor of the library? That can stay gone.

• Alex_
    Alex_ Member Posts: 143
    Options

I really like the map. Nothing much to say. I like that it is largely fixed. This is a nice difference to usual map design that focuses around randomization. The amount of pallets is pretty good, many mindgameable but still save but also some god pallets. Windows could be more, 3 gen potential could be less, but overall a great map

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,005
    Options

There can be some really nasty 3gens (both gens in the hall, one in the Chief's office and one in the interrogation room/hallway) but else it is fine. I really enjoy the RPD maps after they got changed.

True sometimes there are scenarios where you can be easily camped (outside area at the front or a hook next to the art room) but it is OK.

It would benefit from a locker on the front outside though.

• _Onyx_
    _Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 316
    Options

Out of the two variations, I'd rather get sent to this one.

However, I'd rather not play on this map at all. The map is just you following a Survivor until you catch up to them. Once you've caught up it's relatively easy to get hits coz most of the tiles are a 50/50. There's a lot of God pallets though. All in all, love that the RPD is in the game, hate the way it plays. Heavily Survivor sided.

• NotJared
    NotJared Member Posts: 352
    Options

My feedback here applies to both versions of RPD:

The fact that RPD has fixed tile spawns honestly makes it one of the most boring maps to play on. There is NO variation on the map, the only question is whether a pallet will spawn here or there, but it's always guaranteed to spawn there.

I greatly wish the map had more variation: if the holes in the walls that poked through the map and opened various pathways like swiss cheese were more varied in location, if obstacles changed orientation or room contents changed entirely. RPD is way too predictable, and almost every chase goes the same way every time I play on this map because the same pallets are in the same place with the same layout, every single time without fail. (The ~4 meters difference in whether a pallet will spawn in one of two locations effectively does nothing to affect gameplay, because the pallets are still guaranteed to spawn in about the same area and I know they will always be in one of two places.)

A major pain point for both versions: The long outdoor corridor added in front of the building in the RPD rework is a MAJOR problem for Killer gameplay in many facets.

It NEEDS a hole in the middle to connect it to the main building: It's WAY too incredibly easy for Survivors to start prerunning from this generator; it's a massive waste of the Killer's time to chase down here, because if the Survivors hear a terror radius but don't see the Killer they can easily suspect they're coming from the police station. Otherwise, they can easily look down the long outdoor courtyard and see them approaching. This gen is SO incredibly safe to complete, and if it's left for late game then it's so so incredibly easy for Survivors to just run away from.

In endgame, this outdoor courtyard makes for the perfect loop for a survivor to run around and not get caught - the front exit gate's long exitway provides a perfect vantage point for Survivors to see the Killer approaching from any direction and start running really early. There needs to be some line of sight blockers in the front to prevent this. Inserting the proposed hole would also provide more opportunities for Killers to cut off Survivors, as they won't HAVE to commit to running the ENTIRE length of the map just to walk around the courtyard.

Even in Survivor gameplay, this long outdoor corridor is really weak to play around. There are ONLY two pallets to access for miles, and once they're thrown you're basically dead.

On West Wing, throwing these two pallets makes the entire playable east wing section almost a complete deadzone, as now you are restricted to the play area shown below.

In both versions of the map, an overwhelming majority of the action takes place either trying to get around the main reception hall or in this room to the east:

Generally, I think there are a lot of things to love about RPD, but the rework to make the maps smaller has restricted gameplay to primarily taking place in one general area of the map, which further makes gameplay on RPD somewhat repetitive and boring.

I really enjoy the winding corridors of RPD, though, as they make fun routes for both sides to cut line of sight and make fun mindgames.

There are tons of winding connecting roads and paths, especially since the rework poked holes into the walls of the map. Playing Stealth Killers on this map is one of my favorites!.

• MxReese
    MxReese Member Posts: 14
    Options

Unpopular opinion, I guess, but even though RPD was a godawful map pre-rework I still feel like it was way less painful to play on both sides compared to now.

• Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 334
    Options

I like both wings. The whole map comes straight out of the game. The big hallway in the center. 2 floors stuffed with eyecatcher. My favorite is the east side because the open roof. While doing a gen I'm chilling in the Chiefs office and listen to the music.

The matches are always sweaty as killer there but it's ok.

For me the best maps ever!

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

I would love to see the library return and being accessible.

• Tipsy
    Tipsy Member Posts: 36
    Options

Large and lots of god pallets. God pallets make for boring gameplay loop. Other big issue is how the killer can stand at the bottom of the main stair sets and pretty much complete divided the map lot letting anyone pass by making for easy camps. Strong 3 gen with gens in the main room and on west side. West side can become a very unsafe quickly making the 3 gen even stronger.

This discussion has been closed.