How to combat disorientation on Unknown (and Freddy) teleport?

Options
UndeddJester
UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,390
edited March 17 in Feedback and Suggestions

This is something that affects me on both these killers...and was wondering if anyone else gets the same? It feels like something you can get used to, but it's a little off-putting when trying to learn a killer.

Whenever I teleport as either Freddy or Unknown, the direction I'm facing is almost never the direction I want to be facing, and it always take me half a second or so to get my bearings and carry on with what I'm doing.

On Unknown it seems to be which direction I was facing when I targeted the hallucination.

On Freddy, I don't have a clue, I'm always lost for a second and haven't got a feel for how it works.

It's a minor inconvenience that's doesn't really hinder me too much, but it's a micro frustration that makes the killer less appealing than other killers.

I was thinking, What if when I teleport as either character, I'm always facing back the way I came from?

It's rare as Unknown you use these abilities to close distance, and if you are it's usually for map traversal, which doesn't need a fast snappy response. you usually want to use it to cut off.

On Freddy it feels like it'd more intuitive since you'll be facing typically into the map, since you're using it for map traversal, instead of... wherever the hell he is currently looking.

I also dunno if a transition would help, even if very brief? Any thoughts?

Comments

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

I totally get it. Even as someone who mains a tp character such as onyro, I get disoriented too. I’m certain they do this on purpose. It’s even done with dredges remnant and you have to use a brown addon to correct it.

Onyro pops out of the tv and if I wasn’t exactly paying attention to the direction of the aura of where the tv is facing and I tp? I need a sec to gain my barrings plus make sure nobody is hiding being the tv lol

• OnryosTapeRentals
    OnryosTapeRentals Member Posts: 711
    Options

Even as someone who mains a tp character such as onyro, I get disoriented too

Same here!

She's my most played killer but I still find myself getting caught off-guard sometimes when popping out of a TV.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,722
    edited March 17
    Options

Happens to me as xenomorph all the time. I understand!

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,390
    edited March 17
    Options

Indeed, the one saving grave with Onryō is at least you can't move for a moment before the TP ends, so at least the bearing finding can start as you transition... though would it be such a bad thing to be able to look around maybe 30 degrees as you come out of the TV?

That would be nice... slightly angle yourself as you come out of the TV too... nice QoL change

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

I would agree. Generally, I just tried to see where the aura is facing. Which direction is the front of the TV where the back so I have an idea of where I’m popping out of when I do teleport that usually fixes it, but it always takes a second for sure.

It also depends on which TV I teleport to some easier to come out of than others

• _Onyx_
    _Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 348
    Options

This is something all "perspective switch" Killers have: Freddy, Unknown, Dredge, Twins, Pinhead, Onryö.

Some of them don't suffer from the unpredictability that the others do. But yeah, it can be very disorientating when switching perspectives, especially mid-chase or mid-movement.

I think Freddy is really the only one that could do with a clear glimpse as to what direction they will appear on though. Maybe he could see the aura of the Projection as it bleeds out of the generator so that you know which way to expect to be facing when completing the teleport.

With the Unknown, I don't think it's necessary, you know that you'll be facing the way you were facing when you teleported, so you can just 180.