How to deal with/counter obnoxious killer gameplay?

Let me set it straight firstly that I accept that losing matches is part of the game, and bad luck can and will rear its ugly head. I'm also aware that I am far from a consistently good survivor and that there are plenty of killers with sharper wit and intuition than I have.

During this winter event I hit rank 9, but it was too easy. I'm getting absolutely destroyed every 3 out of 4 games I play now that the event is over and the focus isn't on maximizing BP gain. This entire week has been a string of matches where things are completely hopeless and I walk away with less than 5k BP, with the occasional halfway-decent game thrown in every now and then. I've even been driven to ragequit at least a few times because, let's face it, why even bother going through the motions to get your team like 3 seconds of time and maybe 2k BP when you're being carried to your death hook or being mori'd before the first generator is done?

And yes, I'm going to whine about tunneling, camping, and overly altruistic survivor teams. Because, this is the first time since I started playing last summer where I've been consistently fed games where the killer camps their hooks and tunnels down the freshly unhooked survivors while the rest of my team obsesses over hook saves. And it's not like I can warn my team about being overly altruistic until the game's over and we're all dead.

I feel like I'm in an ELO hell for BP, I just want to get my characters' teachable perks unlocked.

Aside from the obvious advice of focusing on generators (because I tend to do that anyway until a survivor is around 1/4 or 3/4 hook health), are there any gameplay tips or perk builds that anyone can suggest which could make these sorts of matches any less annoying and more rewarding? I can only blame the killer and my team for so much before looking at my builds and habits and figuring out what I'm doing wrong. Lately I'm working on getting Dwight's teachables, but I have high levels on Claudette, David, Nea, and Meg as well right now.

Comments

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited January 2019
    I have a few basic rules as a survivor.
    1. When you spawn don't immediatly just work on a gen. Just start one till its hearable and leave, let the Killer search the area while you are getting away. Otherwise destroy a totem, search a chest (i love Plunderers) etc. Just chill out and don't make yourself a target before you know who the Killer is and what he is up to, let the others deal with him. 

2. Bond is a wonderful perk to increase BP gain by Coop points, have heals available and get some altruism points and emblems. 
    Urban Evasion and Spine Chill are personal favorites as well, you might hear about perk tier lists and such but truth is survivors are less dependant on them, use whatever you want.

3. When someone is on a hook, don't just yank him off as soon as the terror radius stops, if a Killer figures out someone waits for him then he will either bait it out to tunnel, patrol before leaving or blatantly camp. You have a full minute so just finish your gen, totem, heal or whatever and let him hang for ATLEAST 20 seconds. (that survivor mistake is very common, saying it as a Killer main).

4. Insist on healing as many as you can and never deny someone who wants to heal you by self caring in return. 

5. From a pip perspective, escaping isn't as profitable as unhooking and getting chased especially near the endgame or multiple deaths.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited January 2019
    Oh and i forgot something: If you are on a gen and intend to save, 99% but don't blast it out, the Killer might try to intercept you halfway or come back to the hook cause he knows one survivor is free.
  • George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

Thanks for acknowledging that blaming your opponents and teammates won't make you better. A few things to keep in mind:

• Killers respond to their opponents' playstyle. If i see people getting unhooked the moment i walk away, i pitch a tent and patrol hard. If i see people running to the hook with BBQ or Bitter Murmur (or bbq shows me nobody) then I assume they're coming for the save and don't leave.
    • Obsession. Many obsession perks mark you as a priority target; if i run Dying Light or Remember Me and you are the Obsession, you're getting tunneled, period. Dstrike is a lovely perk, but its power can come with a major downside and some Killers (Like me) make it a point to either tunnel or entirely ignore suspected DS users as the situation warrants.
    • Annoyance. The more you annoy the Killer, the more they will want to kill you, sometimes even at the cost of victory. The nail that sticks out gets hammered. Do not make yourself a target. Do not spam a flashlight macro. Do not teabag. Play like you are a helpless and terrified victim up against an invincible killing machine, and remember: The Killer you pissed off this game will see you again, and he will remember what you did. By not being a jerk now, you save yourself a lot of pain later.
    • Do gens. You've already been focusing on this, but it behooves you to get two gens done and then lay low; keep working on objectives, but when things go south - find the hatch.
    • Sandbag. Survivors are not a team. They are four individuals with the same goal which sometimes overlaps. Treat the other survivors like tools (because they probably are) and use them until they are no longer useful, then discard them when they are of no further use to you. Surviving is winning.
    Just perfect, especially the last point.
    I wonder if we could make this a compulsory read for new survivors?
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@BigBlackMori said:
    Thanks for acknowledging that blaming your opponents and teammates won't make you better. A few things to keep in mind:

• Killers respond to their opponents' playstyle. If i see people getting unhooked the moment i walk away, i pitch a tent and patrol hard. If i see people running to the hook with BBQ or Bitter Murmur (or bbq shows me nobody) then I assume they're coming for the save and don't leave.
    • Obsession. Many obsession perks mark you as a priority target; if i run Dying Light or Remember Me and you are the Obsession, you're getting tunneled, period. Dstrike is a lovely perk, but its power can come with a major downside and some Killers (Like me) make it a point to either tunnel or entirely ignore suspected DS users as the situation warrants.
    • Annoyance. The more you annoy the Killer, the more they will want to kill you, sometimes even at the cost of victory. The nail that sticks out gets hammered. Do not make yourself a target. Do not spam a flashlight macro. Do not teabag. Play like you are a helpless and terrified victim up against an invincible killing machine, and remember: The Killer you pissed off this game will see you again, and he will remember what you did. By not being a jerk now, you save yourself a lot of pain later.
    • Do gens. You've already been focusing on this, but it behooves you to get two gens done and then lay low; keep working on objectives, but when things go south - find the hatch.
    • Sandbag. Survivors are not a team. They are four individuals with the same goal which sometimes overlaps. Treat the other survivors like tools (because they probably are) and use them until they are no longer useful, then discard them when they are of no further use to you. Surviving is winning.

Pretty precise

• GraviteaUK
    GraviteaUK Member Posts: 464

@BigBlackMori said:

This stands out to me, to run an obsession perk means giving up a perk somewhere else, so of course you are going to get tunnelled if you are the obsession despite this being obvious, survivors will still complain anyway

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

First thing the OP should do is not take advice about what to do as a survivor from killer mains.

@BigBlackMori said:

True - and why BBQ is not an 'anti-camping' perk, it simply tells a killer when to camp, unless survivors are all selfish and countered BBQ successfully, then they are probably on the other end of the map finishing all the gens while the killer stupidly stands around.

A lot killers tunnel and camp anyway, obsession or not. If you happen to be obsession and not running DS - keep a very low profile then make your moves when you know the killer is occupied elsewhere, cause even if you are doing nothing else, you are helping by not getting hooked.

I agree with this one - but still often does not matter, there are plenty of toxic killers out there. Basically try not to be the first one caught so you can see what kind of killer you are dealing with. This also points out that if a killer really wants, they can just dominate a player of their choice, which is why the game has bred so many looping gods.

It is easy to make sure two gens get done then hide and wait for everyone else to die. That doesn't make you a good survivor, since anyone can do that. The real game is getting those gates open.

And this is why I recommend not trying to survive with known killer mains - if they don't suck at looping and don't get killed or disconnect in the first two minutes, they sure as hell will suck in team play. They have no problems screwing over others - they have a killer mentality even while being a survivor. If you main survivor people will get to know you, especially at higher ranks and will either try to screw you over first or simply not play with you. This ironically also contributes to pushing people into doing only swf, which killers complain about, then as survivors they go sandbag and hook farm, which encourages more survivors to form swf.

• feechima
    feechima Member Posts: 905

I'm like the OP right now, trying to get more BP to get the perks on all survivors and some killers.

All perks that benefit someone else are better for when you have a team that is...shall we say, performing poorly.

Kindred- a good perk to warn others if the killer is around the hook, and it also tells other players who is going for a save so that two can stay on gens.

Leader- (which will no longer work on gens) will help your teammates do objectives faster, therefore benefiting you all.

We'll Make it-if you're going for saves and you're facing a killer that makes it a point to go back for someone getting off the hook even if they are in chase with someone else-WMI can be the difference between life and death of your teammate.

Borrowed Time, same concept as WMI, but even more critical for camping situations.

Perks that benefit you personally-

Aftercare-I'm on my way to unlocking this perk. It gives you loads of information. It allows you to see a teammate you healed or unhooked and them to see you. This will help you to know if they are in chase, cleansing totems, making a save, doing a gen etc. With this info you can act accordingly.

Dead Hard-exhaust resets by the time you get unhooked. So if you have a killer coming for you as soon as your feet touch land you may be able to surprise them and get away to safety or at least to a pallet.

Adrenaline-Doesn't sound like OP is making it to end game that much, but it can come in clutch endgame. Sometimes you need to be full health if you go out into the open to get the gate. If you aren't healed, going for the gate unless there is no other choice isn't the greatest idea-unless killer is occupied. Also if adrenaline pops while hooked you'll be full health after rescuing. I unlock this on all my survivors.

Iron Will-very powerful perk, as any killer that tracks with sound will find you freshly injured. A lot of Spirit players rely on sound too when phasing.

And as a response to the Sandbagging comment:

Never intentionally sandbag. Great way to make enemies among people you may encounter or have to save you in the future. The higher you go up in ranks, the more you tend to play with the same survivors. Of course that is what a killer main would want, teammates that try and sandbag each other, won't go for saves or refuse to heal. I see the other 3 players as part of a team. We get out if we work together, not against each other. If you operate under the idea that playing optimally means you did a good job, then you won't worry so much about getting hatch and just enjoy the gameplay. I stopped caring about dying. Sure it sucks, but its part of the game. Doesn't mean I have to be the first out of the gate when it opens. After all, if you leave or not, you're back in the same arena next time. Don't get me wrong, if it doesn't make sense to save-a facecamping LF or a Noed killer where the hooked one is close to dying, I'm out.

• t3hp0larbear
    t3hp0larbear Member Posts: 76
    Wow, I'm legitimately surprised to see these responses. Not gonna lie, I was half-expecting a chorus of "git gud qq scrub" based on the attitudes of people I encounter in game.

So, thank you guys so far for what looks like genuine advice, I'm looking for all the POVs I can get. I'm aware there is no one single correct solution, this game is all about misdirection and mind games, so the more viewpoints shared means more situations and bits of logic that I wouldn't have found on my own.
  • Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

Hmm.
    I am assuming you know how to loop already and don't camp pallets.
    Only piece of advice I could offer you is play with someone in a SWF. Having at least one teammate you can rely on can greatly change the way the games go for you.

• JLew
    JLew Member Posts: 160
    It just takes time man...some killers are better than others...but mainly like dude said...dont be a taunting tool...dont play to rush the end...play smart and slower is how ive always worked it...totems and chests to start....urban evasion and bond are clutch for layin low and keeping an idea of what is going on around you...premonition is another that can help if ur just struggling to get a jump on the killer...you will run into dik killers but its not the majority...most higher tier killers dont tend to camp or tunnel unless you are being a dik...so just dont do that and watch some youtubers if your still struggling. .also play some rounds as a killer just for perspective...that helps
  • fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

Not every killer will tunnel or camp and not every teammate will farm and kill off their team for points, but it's safe to assume they will until shown otherwise. I would say it's be good to look at your pathing, see what's around you. If there's a pallet, attempt to run in a way that will lead the killer to it, even if the killer is heading from that direction. Also, there are perks that will help you know when the killer is coming and also perks to help you find teammates. As awful as it sounds, there is a chance the person you're working on the gen with will get the aggro instead of you. If you can't run the killer reliably, practice. It's part of the game. Stealth can also help you and there's perks to help with that.

I would say play around with perks until you find something you like. I've been having multiple games (around rank 10) where people DC and so on, but still got a decent amount of points. Given I'm usually in the red ranks and took a short break from the game, leading me to be around rank 15 when I got back (also my laptop was in the shop QQ), but every rank has poor play. If you're finding you're dying every game and not getting a lot of points, don't bring in items or offerings and let it happen. Eventually may find the ranking suit you better.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    edited January 2019
    Each killer brings a new bag of tricks you need to play around. For stealth killers they have breathing myers, pig crank that volume up. Spirit got a whoosh noise if you want to take the aggro and help cover for your friend sprint and create scratch marks then when you hear the whoosh strenghthening walk to one side and relocate to a pallet.

Around trapper assume all the grass is trapped and assume hags traps are in the middle of an area or in front of the hook. 
    Billies gonna chainsaw back so have a vault close by. Never ever expect a save to be free killers punish the complacent. If you suspect a killers close muddy his scratch marks with your own and prepare to be chased. 
  • Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

I'm a devout killer main, so here are my suggestions for helping your survival chances:

1. Never stay close to a downed/hooked survivor verse any of the top tier killers. That almost never ends well.
      If you go down next to that survivor, you've basically doomed the entire match. Instead, you should leave immediately and start working on a gen. OR, hide far enough away that the killer won't find you easily and get ready to rescue.

2. Don't get caught in the basement verse a strong basement killer. If you're versing a Leatherface, Huntress, Hag ect, do not get caught near the basement. That puts your team in a very difficult spot. It's better to run away from the basement and go down somewhere else. You're much easier to rescue on a normal hook.

3. Run Borrowed Time if you're encountering a lot of camping/tunneling killers. At the very least, you can protect your benevolence points this way. Kindred is also a very strong recommendation. That perk will help your team coordinate their next move.

4. Try not to bring killers near a gen being worked on or a hooked survivor. This can substantially slow the progress of the game.

5. When you rescue someone from the hook and you suspect the killer is coming back, head off in the opposite direction from them. This is good for reducing tunneling by making yourself the next target.

6. (This tip is very important). Quit healing so much during the match. In fact, I would drop self care if you haven't already. Healing gives the killer more time because gens aren't being worked on. If you get hit, go back to repairing generators. Try not to heal unless it's cost effective. Skilled survivors heal with Adrenaline.

7. (This tip is also very important). Don't fall for the slug bait. Some killers will slug a survivor in an attempt to halt the progress of the game. Don't fall for this. If someone gets slugged, continue working on your gen. Even if the slugged person is getting close to bleeding out, leave them for as long as you can. By completely gens, you put all the pressure on the killer.

These are some of my tips as a killer main and a rank 1 solo survivor.