We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Object of Obsession should not require you to be the Obsession to work

Options

Currently, the intermittent Aura reading requires you to be the obsession to function at all. This means that it's up to RNG whether a huge part of the perk will activate at all. This is incredibly frustrating to have happen, and you can't really rely at all on the perk to be consistent because of this.

This issue will become even worse with Decisive Strike coming back into the meta. More people will run Obsession perks, making it less likely that you'll be the Obsession at all. Even if you manage to get good RNG and become the Obsession, if the killer decides to tunnel someone with DS, your perk will deactivate mid-game.

I suggest instead of requiring the Obsession to work, being the Obsession instead buffs the intermittent aura reading. If you're not the Obsession, you still get the 3 seconds every 30 seconds, but if you are the Obsession, it becomes 5 seconds every 30 seconds.

This would make the perk a lot less frustrating to run, while keeping the Obsession component (after all, it's literally called Object of Obsession).

I hope the developers consider this, as DS becoming much more common again will make this perk a LOT worse.

Comments

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,243
    Options

I would outright rather that it didn't have the self reveal at all

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 2,976
    Options

I mean, the self reveal is what makes the perk what it is. If you don't want it, you may as well run Distortion at that point.

• Steakdabait
    Options

Distort and OoO are completely different perks even without the self reveal every 30 seconds.

• ReverseVelocity
    Options

They overlap a bit because they both provide you information about the Killer's Aura reading perks. It's just one gives you info on the killer's position and the other gives you stealth.

• moputopia
    moputopia Member Posts: 60
    edited April 7
    Options

Wouldn't it be completely overpowered without the self reveal? You would just get wallhacks on the killer every 30 seconds, with no downside or activation condition, and them not able to know you have the perk? The self reveal makes it riskier, but it's what balances it out.

@ReverseVelocity To be fair OoO still works if you're not the obsession, telling you if and what aura reading perks the killer has. But I see the argument, since that's also up to chance and they might not have any. I personally think it's just a high risk perk in general. But maybe it could have a considerably weaker regular effect if you're not the obsession, but still do something.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,001
    Options

Object of Obsession is pretty good when you're not the Obsession though.

In that scenario you just get info for free whenever the killer reveals your aura, and the big difference is the killer is not aware the perk is in play... this basically turns the killers own aura reads against them, especially in a SWF.

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 433
    Options

Not to mention the amount of perks on the Killer's end that changes the obsession frequently (Friends 'til the End, Game Afoot, Nemesis, Furtive Chase, etc)…

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,816
    edited April 7
    Options

If you want to heavily nerf the perk, sure.

Its complete reversal of an important killer tool is balanced by the fact that it doesn't work 100% all the time.

• ReverseVelocity
    Options

But the Aura reversal does work all the time. It's the intermittent Aura reveal that's tied to the Obsession.

Yeah, you still get the aura reversal, but that's just worse Distortion at that point imo. I think the perk should be high risk in the terms that the killer knows where you are instead of the risk of it just not working, that's always been the main theme of the perk.

The old iteration, despite its flaws, didn't completely deactivate when you weren't the obsession, it just got slightly weaker. It feels like it's going to be nearly mandatory to run something like DS or FTP to regain the Obsession effect after the next update and that really sucks. The perk should consistently put you in the spotlight, regardless of if you're the Obsession or not.

• JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670
    Options

this is the best rework idea for Object that I have seen. I’ve always liked the perk, but having a perk that only has a 25% chance of working each game sucks. The only other idea for it that I’ve thought might fix it is if,

you become the obsession once the killer chases you for 30 seconds. With perks like FTE from chucky, switching obsessions makes this perk even worse to run. But with a chase it can deactivate the obsession element. That and your idea would make it very solid.

• JoaoVanBlizzard
    JoaoVanBlizzard Member Posts: 554
    Options

In fact, I prefer not to be obsessed just to be able to see the killer when the killer sees my aura, sometimes I end up dying because this perk reveals me at times when I didn't want to

One change I would like this perk to have would be:
    -The obsession would not have its aura revealed to the killer if he had stealth (note: only through this perk, if the killer has an aura revealer he will see it anyway)

Now, if we were to use your idea, what we could do would be:

survivors who are not the obsession will be able to see auras every 60 seconds, the idea is that the obsession has a difference even

• kaoraku
    kaoraku Member Posts: 239
    Options

So what you basicly wants is a free aurareading the whole game for no drawback or gamble at all.

• ReverseVelocity
    Options

You do know Object has a drawback, right? When it activates, the killer sees you.

Once per 60 seconds would be pretty much nothing. 30 seconds is already kinda long.

• JoaoVanBlizzard
    JoaoVanBlizzard Member Posts: 554
    Options

but the obsession would continue to see the killer's aura every 30 seconds, only those who are not obsessed will see the killer every 60 seconds, but it's better than nothing, don't you think?

and even so, there will be a lot of main killers complaining about this change, it is difficult to give an idea in DBD because there are two opposing sides, and no matter how much you explain the idea they will always think that things will be broken or OP, and many times In practice, almost no one will use

• ReverseVelocity
    Options

I mean, the idea is to make it so there's not a massive discrepancy between being the Obsession and not. Doubling the timer for the non-Obsessions doesn't really achieve that.

I don't think a minor buff to Object in it's current state will be massively complained about, anyway. And even so, people will complain about anything regardless. You could buff Corrective Action and there'd be at least one person who gets upset.

• SuperCop
    SuperCop Applicant Posts: 137
    Options

The only change this perk should have, if any is that you're guaranteed to be the obsession and no one else can be.

As far as removing survivor's aura? Nah. That part should stay. This perk is for those who want the killer's attention similar to Scene Partner.

If you don't want their attention, don't run it. If you want to just see their aura any time use a key with Blood Amber.

• ReverseVelocity
    Options

That idea would kinda fall apart when more than one person brings Object. You can't have 2 Obsessions. Just decouple the timer from needing to be the Obsession.

• Steakdabait
    Options

Kinda crazy how many ppl misunderstand what i mean in the exact way you did. The perk shows the killers aura when they see yours, if you remove the self reveal you also wouldn't see the killer.

• _Onyx_
    _Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 287
    Options

It's not like For The People is meta right now...

OoO has a function outside of being the Obsession too. But since this thread is about the aura exchange + action buff every 30 seconds, you can easily use DS and/or For The People with it to keep recycling yourself as the Obsession.

The whole point of OoO is to encourage you to want to be the Obsession to get the best effects from it, this is typically because most Killer Obsession perks give a negative effect that the Survivors should not want to be affected by.

This idea ruins that risk reward and just makes it a reward perk. Not a good idea.

• ReverseVelocity
    Options

I hate to break it to you, but For the People isn't meta. Even if it was, Object of Obsession wouldn't be the reason. It's because of Buckle Up.

I don't think you should be forced to run Decisive or For the People to get an Aura reading perk to work properly. You say it's to "encourage" you to be the obsession, but you don't actually have much control over that at all outside of a tiny number of perks. It's mostly down to chance, and it will be further out of your favor with the increased use of DS.

In fact, even if you DO run FTP, you'll pretty much be guaranteed to not be the obsession at the start of the match due to the decreased chance from FTP, which will reduce the perk's effectiveness slightly anyway.

The risk of Object is in the fact that you can be revealed at inopportune times (which does already happen). Making the timer always active wouldn't take all the risk out of the perk at all. It's meant to link you to the killer and grab their attention. This has an inherent risk to it and can backfire.

• _Onyx_
    _Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 287
    Options

Yes, For The People + Buckle Up is meta. Nothing stopping you from using that with OoO.

The risk combos with the chance of going up against Rancor or something like that. On top of constantly being revealed, hence the risk reward.

You're arguing that FTP isn't worth it coz it reduces OoO odds. Yet the perk actively makes you the Obsession when it's used lol

OoO is in a relatively perfect state right now. The amount of Obsession switching perks that exist overall makes it risky, but the reward is worth it. Especially if you're a good looper.