We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Toxicity

Options

I have taken a break from this game for a year or less. I come back, I have very rough matches on both killer on survivor, and never do I ever see anyone friendly. Toxicity is everywhere, teabagging at exit gates, nodding and forward-backward movement on knocked survivors, hitting on hook, flashlight spamming, spamming "ez" or "cry" in the endgame chat, delusional complaints about "tunneling". And the toxicity, the behaviour, just keeps on getting worse and worse. I've tried playing with friends against the killer, same issue from the killer. I play fun-to-face killers like Mastermind or Demogorgon, toxicity from all the survivors. The game itself without this toxic community is very well designed and balanced in my honest opinion. But this type of behaviour that killers and survivors make this place a mental torture.

I'm going to quit playing this game until something is done to soothe the mood in here. Whether it would be slowing down crouching animations, an anti-slugging mechanic similar to anti-facecamp, not being able to crouch at all at exit gates, having the ability to surrender as a group as the survivors to end the match early or give up as a killer when the exit gates are powered. Any of these or anything similar to make the game less mentally draining would be a key to bringing back the fun times of this game's days. I've asked quite a few of my friends who have played Dead By Daylight before with me and they don't want to heavily due to the SBMM and general toxicity of the game.

Every game has toxicity, I understand that, but not every game has a billion ways to express toxicity. Please Behaviour, care for the players that just want to have their fun, that is all I ask.

Comments

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 930
    Options

I mean, you can turn off chat, if that is part of your problem.

As for killer, it's simple. Never let them have feeling like they are winning. Many survivors go on power trip, when you start struggling as a killer. So either play strong killer, or pick strong perks, or both.

As for survivor, I would say only fix is to play SWF. It's not so bad as shared experience and you are more likely to influence the match.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,821
    Options

Toxicity is everywhere, teabagging at exit gates, nodding and forward-backward movement on knocked survivors, hitting on hook,

This is not toxicity. This can only offend you if you choose it to. They're simply emotes, actions that the games allows everyone to do for expression or communication, and they don't always mean something offensive.

There used to be a thing called rivalry banter, where people could express their enjoyment at beating their opponent in good humour, and in turn take their oponents celebrations in stride.

But nowadays everyone assumes if someone is addressing them via the internet it must be a dire insult in some way.

slowing down crouching animations … not being able to crouch at all at exit gates

Not possible or ever going to happen. Crouching is a necessary gameplay mechanic for dodging projectile attacks and hiding behind cover. You slow this down and you drastically nerf survivors.

• Callahan9116
    Callahan9116 Member Posts: 124
    Options

Remove MMR matchmaking. Simple fix

• VomitMommy
    Options

This is not toxicity.

Hmm, what do you consider as toxicity?

This can only offend you if you choose it to.

That's true, even if it is toxicity…

It becomes toxic, based on intention of the player. If whole purpose is to annoy other side, I would say it's toxic.

• Deepie
    Deepie Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you for your suggestions, however those are things that I have done. However it's not very effective. I don't blame not having fun on the perks I bring or my opponent(s) bring. It's more like a feeling that this game isn't a horror game anymore, it's just pure competition and pressure. I've made a lot of friends on my way to getting here, a lot of them nice, some of them not, however many, and I mean it, many of them are no longer interested in the game. The nice guys, the people that say their gg's in the end-game chat, say "good try" after watching me end the loop or saying "all good no worries" after timing out on the hook are no longer playing with me. Instead, they are replaced with people who are trying their absolute best to frusturate the opponent side, even though a game is about having fun, not ruining someone's day.

Here is one of the messages I've recieved from my friends as an example.

• VomitMommy
    Options

It's more like a feeling that this game isn't a horror game anymore

It's not for several years.

DBD is game of tag most of the times. Only exception would be combination of indoor map and stealth killer.

Here is one of the messages I've recieved from my friends as an example.

Yeah, that seems right :D

• Deepie
    edited April 7
    Options

Yeah, it doesn't always offend me, sometimes it makes me disappointed that after a really fair match, they do it. Sometimes I just wonder what's going through their thoughts, however at the end, there is always the frusturation that it causes.

It is just an emote.

Yeah it is, and emotes could get frusturating and is unnecessary for a horror game, especially taunting. Because in a real-life scenario nobody would attempt to taunt the person trying to murder them. It is just not needed to include, and an easy solution could be so that the killer can simply decide to end the match early and give up, take their rewards and leave when the exit gates are powered. Or the survivors just cannot crouch at exit gates since it will do low to no assistance since you basically already escaped.

I've replied to the wrong person my apologies, I'll resend this with the correct quote.

• Deepie
    edited April 7
    Options

Yeah, it doesn't always offend me, sometimes it makes me disappointed that after a really fair match, they do it. Sometimes I just wonder what's going through their thoughts, however at the end, there is always the frusturation that it causes. Even if they are doing it in a playful manner, it sometimes makes me feel like I'm playing the game to entertain 4 players, not to have fun myself.

It is just an emote.

Yeah it is, and emotes could get frusturating and is unnecessary for a horror game, especially taunting. Because in a real-life scenario nobody would attempt to taunt the person trying to murder them. It is just not needed to include, and an easy solution could be so that the killer can simply decide to end the match early and give up, take their rewards and leave when the exit gates are powered. Or the survivors just cannot crouch at exit gates since it will do low to no assistance since you basically already escaped.

Crouching is a necessary gameplay mechanic for dodging projectile attacks and hiding behind cover.

Yeah, I could agree that you have a point there. But having the choice of being able to surrender after the exit gates have powered at no cost. Same for vice versa, survivors can give up after a killer gets a sacrifice or a kill with a vote, rather than disconnecting and negatively impacting the survival chance of others as well as negatively impacting their own progression with the game.

• Seraphor
    edited April 7
    Options

Which you cannot possibly know.

Unless you engage in chat afterwards, you can't know the intentions of the person teabagging or hitting on hook. It doesn't have to be out of hate. It can be in good humour too.

This is also why I play Ghostface, so I can teabag back and we can all have a good time.

• Deepie
    Options

It can be in good humour too.

It infact can, however this doesn't change the fact that 90% of the time it happens, it is due to the survivor making fun of the killer, taunting the killer's inefficiency or a lack of skill, which in many cases, either creates a toxic killer, or demotivates them and pushes them away from playing the game.

I've noticed from a lot of games where survivors interact with me as a killer, they are much more likely to do it to frusturate me rather than do it playfully. And the difference between the two are obvious in most cases. When the survivor is facing their back when they are teabagging, they emit the feeling they are taunting the killer for being slow or careless. If they teabag towards the killer, they are sharing a funny moment's humour or expressing their proudness of themselves for something they did. Not a lot of funny things happen in a murdering horror game, and considering the killer is supossed to chase down and kill the survivors as an objective, their mindset is less likely to be taking in the emotes of the survivors as friendly expressions. I'm saying this from my own and my friends' perspectives that I have spectated playing killer. Only time the survivors make the killer feel like they are doing it in a friendly manner is in a custom game with friends, because they know each other and are friends, they are doing it for the fun, not for the competition. Which is a different case for when you are playing with 4 people you don't know and your objective is to get them out of the game as soon as possible.

• Seraphor
    Options

however this doesn't change the fact that 90% of the time it happens, it is due to the survivor making fun of the killer, taunting the killer's inefficiency or a lack of skill

Are you sure about this or are you assuming?

• Deepie
    Options

I'm neither sure nor assuming it, I experience it. I have in-game chat enabled to prove it.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 393
    Options

Honestly, calling this not a toxicity feels stupid

Not reportable, yes, not toxicity? impossible

• kaoraku
    kaoraku Member Posts: 239
    Options

It is hard to think anything else about it that it is toxic for the gate for example. Especially when near it you constantly hear and read how survivors cry about slugging is wasting their time. Also you see most offen it when you got bullied, or stomped. How it is not toxic? It will ruin the game much more for the other party, and they will sooner or later will lash out on another team, so the circle go on.

You can say, that it is get you only if you let it. But it is still toxic altogether

• VomitMommy
    Options

Which you cannot possibly know.

So how can you be so sure it wasn't toxic?

You also don't know the intention behind those actions.

If they trashtalked him in chat, based on what OP said, then I would say it was toxic…

I am not saying all those actions are toxic. Tea bagging is valid thing to do, if you were never hooked and need to get killers attention for sure.

But Tea bagging in first chase after each dropped pallet? Not really

You could argue, it's valid strategy to annoy the killer, so they make mistake, but I would say that's still toxic.