We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

How has Crouch "teching" not been patched out already?

Options
FrostySeal
FrostySeal Member Posts: 586
edited April 19 in Feedback and Suggestions

Seriously how has this exploit not been fixed yet? By just crouching you can easily invalidate a lot of Killer powers in the game, especially if it's Hillbilly, Demogorgon, or Blight. You'd think by now with how stupidly easy it is to pull it off that it can be easily patched, but I guess we're still in the era of DBD where exploits take 2 years to fix.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,812
    Options

It took bhvr at least 2 years to address blight's hug tech. Issues involving hitboxes and collisions are not simple fixes for bhvr.

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 761
    Options

Who said it's an exploit that requires fixing?

• TheTom20
    TheTom20 Member Posts: 346
    Options

For sure needs to be addressed

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 125
    Options

Sorry, I find this surprising, is crouching to dodge attacks not a way to counter? Is it considered an exploit by the community? It's the first im hearing of this and I'm genuinely curious.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,044
    Options
  • GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 761
    Options

I never assumed you are a killer main. Heck I play both sides myself. I just don't think people understand hitboxes.

It's no different than the hitboxes of Huntress' hatchets being unfair for survivors.

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 79
    Options

i want to be honest, i love techs in this game and i think crouch tech is one thing that should also stay in the game.

I was always against removing killer techs because they add more skill expression and increase the skill ceiling of a specific killer. Same with survivors, they also have techs and i think crouch tech should be removed only if e.g. Blight's hugtech truly gets removed.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,690
    edited April 14
    Options

One is primarily latency, with a dash of the survivor hurtbox not lining up with their center mass (but rather their feet, causing it to trail behind slightly) while the other is a hurtbox shrinking (on demand) in a way that prevents certain abilities from being able to make contact. Bonus points for it relying on an imposed limitation (inability to look down while using their power.)

Not exactly the same. That said if your point was that they both suck for the receiving end, that part is true.

• BooomTetris
    BooomTetris Member Posts: 57
    Options

There was a HugTech counter all along?!?! But in all fairness, it's really hard to learn.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,087
    edited April 14
    Options

The problem is that this basically removes all utility from Demo's shred, Billy's chainsaw and Blight's Lethal Rush in a chase. It's not skillful to start crouching when you hear the sound cue for an attack but it is completely uncounterable. It doesn't add any fun interactions but it actively removes them. There is no reason to play around their power, if a single button press counters them anyway and there's no risk to it.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,763
    Options

My pet theory is due to how many maps have garbage on the floor that you can't see, they trimmed up the hitbox on many Killers (instead of fixing the floor garbage). That means all of the horrible maps being poorly designed is the reason why we don't have the real hitbox being used. (Just a guess though) Invisible walls for jumping off of 2nd stories is super important (/s), but garbage on the floor, we gotta add more.

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 125
    Options

Wow, I had absolutely no idea this was even a thing. I've never seen anyone do it, nor have I done it before. I'm surprised the kill rates for Blight and Billy are where they are if this is all it takes to counter. I guess not many people know about it. Thank you for the explanation!

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,746
    Options

Ehhh completely denying a killers power because "hehe funny 1/8 inch difference in height you can no longer hit me" doesn't seem like much of a "tech"

• FrostySeal
    Options

Well, the difference between a tech that should stay and a tech that should go is how effective it is. The window tech was something I was really fond of, and so were a lot of other players because sure, it could help out a ton if the Killer didn't know about it but there was counterplay to it. If the Killer knew you were going to do it then you would instantly get hit and lose a ton of distance.

In comparison, the crouch tech has no counterplay to it and it takes no skill to use whatsoever. The moment you see Demo, Billy, or Blight charge up an attack you can completely negate it with a button press. That's not tech, that's abusing a clear flaw in the game. Theres also the fact that it only specifically counters those Killers and a few others, not the entire cast making it even more unfair.

• FrostySeal
    Options

Sorry for that then, but your original message stated it was something that the "Killer" player base was trying to get rid of, so it sounded like you were assuming on my end.

Regardless though it's a clear exploit because not only is it not intended at all, but there is no counterplay to it if it happens. Anyone who watches the vid I posted understands the hitboxes and how flawed they are. BHVR built the game off of mostly flat terrain and centered the Killers around it so now that maps are getting more detailed exploitable flaws popped up as a result of them not taking precautions for the Killers I mentioned making using them way more difficult for no good reason.

And don't bring up Huntresses hatchet hitboxes, that has already been addressed by the devs many, many times. It looks very unfair and can feel unfair but the devs have already put their foot down on it. Plus it's mostly a latency issue, not a hitbox issue.

• WeirdHexButOk
    WeirdHexButOk Member Posts: 23
    Options

Honestly, I don't think this should be a top priority for the devs. Hillbilly and Blight are very strong outside of this niche tech. Although it sucks for Demos.

• North85
    North85 Member Posts: 88
    Options

Personally I think survivors should be completely invincible when crouched, it's only fair since every map is killer sided, the devs only care about killers and their cosmetic sales, and they only ever ban survivors for cheating.

Oh and Hillbilly? That chainsaw is so loud and annoying, right? UGH

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 856
    Options

Multiple things.

Despite crouch tech being an if anything shockingly reliable counter-mechanic to Billy's chainsaw, good Billy players have no issues going on winstreaks of hundreds of matches, or 4k-ing even in tournaments where their opponents are not only keenly aware of crouch techs, but generally great players united in highly coordinated teams. Simply put, Billy is so strong now that the existence of crouch tech if anything is a balancing factor. This is especially true because his cooldowns are so short that even if you do dodge a chainsaw with a crouch, you might still get hit or sawed a few moments later anyway.

Blight not only is even stronger than Billy still, but crouch techs are from from reliable against Blight, nor will they often prevent the follow-up M1 even if they do work out to dodge a rush hit. They are somewhat more reliable at pallets, but there they are even more guaranteed to mostly only delay the inevitable hit by a couple of seconds. With Blight's hug-teching set to be removed, crouch-teching will only become even less relevant against him, because Blights will rely on bump logic much more. And since busted stuff like Adren Vial still exists, I doubt Blight will even fall out of S-tier viability. Pallets will be more reliable of a tool against him, but Brutal Strength or Dissolution solve that problem perfectly well, and Blight having to use at least one chase perk instead of being able to carelessly stack 4 slowdowns won't hurt too much.

Demo is the one killer where I agree crouch tech is pretty bullshit. Demo isn't a bad chaser at all, but he is also not Billy or Blight, and his map traversal isn't as good as it may sound, his macro game potential not stellar. His missed shred cooldown (especially if eating a collision) is also rather punishing, regularly allowing the survivor to make it into safety. Considering all of this, the fact that crouch-teching works so reliably against him is just a crime to the poor thing. That said, I for one think rather than try to remove crouch techs against Demo specifically, they should significantly buff Demo in other respects, such that the existence of crouch tech won't hurt so much anymore. Mind you, most people don't know about crouch techs or aren't good at utilizing them, but Demo deserves buffs regardless. I just think using crouches to dodge these attacks is thrilling and fun.

Finally, it has to be noted that there is counterplay. Survivors have to crouch preemptively if they anticipate the killer unleashing their respective attack. The killer can predict this and adjust their attack direction such that it will still connect, or abuse this by holding their attack and getting a hit due to the survivor not making the distance they otherwise would have. Of course the survivor in turn can anticipate that the killer will adjust or fake their attack and just keep running, so this at times is a bit of a gamble or mindgame on both sides if you will, but stuff like that creates higher-level interactions between good players.

• deadlyfalcon_
    deadlyfalcon_ Applicant Posts: 1
    Options

Yeah this is why I've stopped playing Demo completely. His shred becomes useless because somebody crouched and you just slide right off of them.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,111
    Options

Billy is clearly overturned and has surpassed blight by a wide margin even before hug tech removal clearly S tier killer. Maybe nerf that killer instead of keeping broken hitbox interactions?