We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Patch 7.7.0 Crash on Startup

Options
Whitelotus82
Whitelotus82 Member Posts: 7

I'm on PC and I did the 7.7.0 update and now I can't log into the game without it crashing before it's finished initializing. Is there a fix for this? I already verified the integrity of my files.

14 votes

Under Review · Last Updated

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue, we are forwarding this to the team for their review.

Comments

• YeahOkayFineWhatever
    YeahOkayFineWhatever Member Posts: 7
    Options

I have the same problem, except mine doesn't crash. It stays stuck on, "Initializing Shaders". I have never had this problem before…

• Whitelotus82
    Options

I've never had this issue before either until this update…. Guess that eliminates one game I'll be playing.

• YeahOkayFineWhatever
    Options

Yeah it sucks…I really do grind in this game..

• brizzyne
    brizzyne Member Posts: 8
    Options

I am also having this issue. The crash seems to always occur when it hits initializing shaders. Sometimes it gives an out of video memory error. My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti with 12 gigs of video memory. I tried manually downloading and installing the latest update I could find for the card but I have the same error afterwards. Sometimes I get the error report box and sometimes it just triggers a complete PC restart when it hits the shaders part of the lauch.

• Whitelotus82
    Options

I have a GT 3060, my system is totally new, pretty decent specs and updated, so there's no reason for it to be happening on my end.

• Whitelotus82
    Options

Don't know why I wrote GT. Headache…. GeForce RTX 3060 by Nvidia.

• StaringStars
    StaringStars Member Posts: 1
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Every time I try to open the game, it gets stuck on Initializing Shaders, and then either crashes the game with an "allocating memory" error, makes my PC shut down and restart or gives me the blue screen of death.

I've got a Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti with 32 RAM, and I've never had this issue before, only since the update.

I've tried verifying files, tried doing a clean re-install, checked all my drivers for updates etc.

• Butternubs69
    Butternubs69 Member Posts: 20
    Options

I'm having issues too, but unlike the other people commenting, I definitely Don't have a new powerful rig. for me, the EAC splash screen opens, but once it finishes, the actual game doesn't launch, and then my Steam status acts like I'm not in a game (though it turned green while the EAC splash was up, so it did recognize I was "in game" at that point). I'm having the same problem with Palia, which also had an update yesterday

• sunnycloudy
    sunnycloudy Member Posts: 1
    Options

I’m having the same issue only I get to a match and then my game crashes right before it starts or sometime in the beginning, middle, or end. I also keep receiving penalties for it.

• brizzyne
    brizzyne Member Posts: 8
    Options

I have fixed the issue for my computer. It appears that if you have a 13 or 14th gen Intel CPU then it may actually be an issue with your bios power settings. Yes it looks like it is a GPU issue with the out of video memory error but it is actually a CPU issue. I found a thread in the steam discussions forum for DBD that led me to how to fix the issue. Unfortunately if you are crashing and don't have a CPU of those generations it is probably a different issue for you.

• YeahOkayFineWhatever
    Options

Yeah, it stays stuck on "Initializing Shaders." and when i close it, it says security error found or something like that.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,541
    Options

My game stutters and stalls on "Initializing Shaders" but it does reliably let me through after 1min.

• Emeal
    Options

So I tried to check out what @brizzyne was talking about, like seriously you say you fixed it but don't post your findings? smh
    Anyway, I believe it was this thread. https://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/0/4360123339072186980/

They suggest to add "-dx11" to the Steam Launch settings. like this: Right Click game in menu list/ properties / General:

I already tested it, it fixed the issue for me and allowed me to go from the Loading Screen into the Main Menu without getting stuck on "Initializing Shaders". I encourage everyone here who has this problem to try it and tell us all if it works for you.

This could be a clue to what is wrong. Good luck.

• Emeal
    Options

I will say that after "fixing" this issue, the stutter that comes when switching character (killer) is back after this latest patch fixed it.
    But I had that issue before so I can live with that.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,036
    Options

A friend of mine can't even start the game. She gets this error message (from EAC I assume):

Mere moments before she gets a BSOD.

She also told me that her laptop was suddenly very slow after the update.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,036
    Options

I had that once on the PTB but it fixed itself for me and I luckily don't have any problems so far.

AMD CPU and GPU.

• YeahOkayFineWhatever
    Options

I tried this and it gets past the initializing renders, and the cut scene, to only crash mere seconds later. I did eventually get past the crashing and into the game, but the minute i clicked on tomes it crashed again…

• jowsantana28
    jowsantana28 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have the same problem, my game takes a long time on the loading screen with the phrase "Initializing Shaders" and then crashes, this didn't happen before the update.

• Whitelotus82
    Options

That's EXACTLY what's happening with mine now too and it also NEVER happened to me before.

• YeahOkayFineWhatever
    Options

Has anyone found a solution other than changing the launch setting?

• sorabee
    sorabee Member Posts: 1
    Options

same thing is happening to me on both steam and windows microsoft editions of the game :( can’t even log in before it crashes.

• redglyph
    redglyph Member Posts: 18
    Options

I don't know the technical reason, but I have a friend who got it back to normal by reinstalling the steam client.

It may have something to do with the boot options mentioned above.

• Whitelotus82
    Options

I've tried logging in twice today. Earlier today it did the same crash/close out the game in the login "Initializing Shaders" stage. Tonight I tried to log in and it shut down my whole computer at the "Initializing Shaders" stage. Someone had told me that they received an e-mail saying BHVR had fixed the issues…. They definitely changed something, but it is MOST CERTAINLY NOT FIXED.

• KaeJo
    KaeJo Member Posts: 6
    edited April 29
    Options

Why would you say this and then not share how you fixed it?

Post edited by KaeJo on
  • KaeJo
    edited April 28
    Options

I figured it out and I'm back to share the results!!

I went searching for CPU + Unreal 5 related issues after reading Brizzyne's post above. I found two Reddit posts that helped me solve the issue for my computer. The first (HERE) explains what is actually going on.

I then searched for solutions to this specific issue, which led me HERE. This post talks about how to fix the issue.

In short, if you've overclocked your 13th/14th generation Intel CPU (or in some cases, even left the BIOS default), then you are probably crashing your CPU because Unreal 5 pushes it beyond it's limits per manufacturer recommendations. The second Reddit post gives specific instructions for "underclocking" your BIOS settings to prevent these crashes.

The settings recommended worked for me right out of the gate. When I got to "Initializing Shaders," my CPU spiked all the way to 100% utilization, stayed there for a few seconds, and then I moved past the Shaders step and played a full match without issues.

Hooray!

Post edited by KaeJo on
  • YeahOkayFineWhatever
    edited April 28
    Options

Okay, so i checked up on all of my settings and turns out I have legacy instead of UEFI. Am i just doomed?

Post edited by YeahOkayFineWhatever on
  • KaeJo
    Options

Are you running Windows? If so, I think you would have to do a fresh install of Windows. Here's an article I found from Microsoft:
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/boot-to-uefi-mode-or-legacy-bios-mode?view=windows-11

Unfortunately, I'm not the most knowledgeable about this stuff. I had to do a TON of Googling when I built my PC!

• KaeJo
    Options

This article makes it seem like it's possible to do, but I don't know that I'd try it myself unless re-installing Windows just wasn't an option. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/aa8c2de3-460b-4a8c-b30b-641405f800d7

• KaeJo
    Options

Back to update that this fix has continued to work for me all week with no other issues / side effects. Seems to be a stable fix.

• s4ty
    s4ty Member Posts: 2
    Options

What helped me was https://www.radgametools.com/oodleintel.htm especially the SVID Behavior for my Asus Mainboard

Quote:
    "Troubleshooting Update from Intel Corporation - Additional troubleshooting steps for ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI motherboards:

First, install Intel XTU and run the AVX2 test. If the AVX2 test failure is seen, try these options:

1. For ASUS:

Ask customer to change BIOS settings: Advanced (F7)- SVID Behavior: Change to "Intel's Fail Safe"

Reboot the OS and run XTU test again and if the AVX2 test can pass. Run games and see if the issue happens again.
    2. For Gigabyte: …
    3. For MSI: …"

• KaeJo
    Options

Yes, this is essentially where the links I posted lead as well. Adjusting BIOS to prevent too much power draw. Sounds like this is the "official" fix, though some other fixes that people have posted help as workarounds as well.

• hansolokey
    hansolokey Member Posts: 1
    Options

This fixed my problem. I simply put -dx11 in launch options and my game isn't crashing anymore. I hope this also helps everyone else, although it's a shame so many of us are having to deal with this in the first place.