First game ever.

Options
Tzimiscelord
Tzimiscelord Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 11

I chose the hillbilly, and while i managed to down 3 survivors (one of them with the chainsaw) they all got rescued, opened the gates, and spent at least a full minute and a half teabagging me from the gates.

Not a great experience but i admit thats on me since i dont know how to play.

When i try a chainsaw dash the killer do not go in a straight line, it kinda flails around, to the point the killer manages to dodge a survivor even if im on their back, which makes me think im doing something terribly wrong, not being able to go in a straight line.

How am i supposed to use the chainsaw of the hillbilly?

Explain it to me in very, very simple terms please, i have literally played only one game.

Comments

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,639
    edited April 24
    Options

It depends on a few things like if you're playing on PC or console but to keep as simple as possible, learning to chainsaw can be rather difficult and takes a bit of practice, especially for a new player. There are other killers that are much easier to start with if Billy becomes to aggravating; Wraith and Trapper both being good choices.

If your heart is set on Billy then I recommend playing some games in custom mode against the bots. There is no real way to learn the chainsaw other then practicing it a lot and the bots will give you a stress free environment. The bots will also dodge your saw and weave back and forth so they make great practice.

Billy himself is a killer that mostly weaves around and can curve certain objects. For the first second of using your saw you will have massively increased turn rate which can be hard to control for a beginner. This might be your issue as you have to be very gentle if the survivor is in front of you otherwise you'll end up turning too sharp.

I'm no Billy professional though so I'll leave better tips to anyone else that comes along but the main thing being is to practice with the bots to try and feel how the saw controls.

• Tzimiscelord
    Options

Well thank you!

Any Billy players with some piece of advice?

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,099
    Options

Welcome to the fog, fellow chainsaw enthusiast!

The reason why you're having difficulty with the Hillbilly's (often regarded to as Billy) chainsaw is because he has 1 second of highly increased camera sensitivity right at the start of the chainsaw sprint. That allows him to make very quick turns called "curves" and sometimes hit survivors he otherwise couldn't hit.

To get used to the chainsaw, the best advice I can give you is practice. It takes some time but you'll get the hang of it eventually. He is one of the hardest killers to play on a high level thanks to the very high skill ceiling his curves offer.

Most of what does and doesn't work with Hillbilly, you will learn by trial and error. As I'm sure you noticed, he has very high mobility thanks to the increased speed of his chainsaw sprint, the ability to down a survivor in one hit and break pallets much quicker. Survivors will do what is called "looping" to delay you. Looping means, that they will run around the same object until they have to drop a pallet. This allows them to save resources for as long as possible without giving you free hits.

To avoid that, it can help to start revving the chainsaw once you are at the pallet side. Then keep it as close to 99% as you can manage (rapidly tap your right mouse key or whatever key it is on controller) and approach the edge of the loop. This will allow you to activate the chainsaw in exactly the moment you need it and use the 1 second time window to "curve" around an object and maybe hit the survivor. This is often combined with mind games, little back and forths between one and end of the loop and the other until the survivor hopefully makes a slight mistake and reacts too late, to make sure they don't make it around the next corner.

You probably noticed that the chainsaw sometimes gets faster and has a blue glow to it. This is called overdrive and is built up by revving (for at least 1 second without interruption) or using the chainsaw and it dissipates after not using the chainsaw for 15 seconds. When in overdrive, the Hillbilly's movement speed during a chainsaw sprint is noticeably faster (10.2 m/s → 13 m/s). It also reduces your cooldowns after a chainsaw slightly and reduces the time to revv (charge) the chainsaw. This makes it very difficult to control the chainsaw but once you get used to it, the extra speed makes him even more dangerous.

Here is a video that explains him in a more detail:

• Tzimiscelord
    Options

Thank you, will try

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,212
    edited April 24
    Options

If you want friendly and helping practice in customs with real people, let me know. I'd happily do that for hours. Billy is one of the more fun killers to go against as survivor imo. GL in the fog!

I play on steam. user: Spare Them, Mori Me?

• Tzimiscelord
    Options

I got the game for free in epic games, so im kinda playing in epic games. Any way to add you from the in-game?

Also @ohheyitsbobcat and @Xernoton Thanks for the tip.

I played two more games.

One with billy, i went from 1 down with the chainsaw to 4, and from killing 0 survivors to killing 3 and downing the last one on the hatch, so he fled while i was recovering from the attack, and my third game ever, with wraith, wich ended up with me killing everyone despite one player being level 38 and another one 26.

Also, no BM in any of those 2 games. I guess i had a first match that was particularly unlucky.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Options

They will flucuate greatly, trust me. Sometimes its a boring slog… other times the game could have your heart rate at 100+ lol. If you take winning and losing with a grain of salt, this game is truly pretty fun. Its about the individual interactions and lil victories in the trial imo.

Sometimes, you have to make your own fun. It's great with this game :)

• Tzimiscelord
    Options

One last question.

How can you drop a survivor you are carrying (i play on PC)?

A Leaon scaped 3 times because i couldnt breake a door with him on the shoulder, but i have seen people in youtube videos dropping survivors on purpose.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,621
    Options

I don't want to sound condescending when I say this, but maybe just play a couple more games first. There is a learning curve to the game. A lot of it will just start making sense naturally after a few games. Also this is a game where you need to have some thick skin. If you have a difficult time with things like smack talk, trolling, etc. then I'd recommend playing in anonymous mode and if you are on PC then minimize the post game chat. Welcome to the game. It really can be a blast. The main thing that you need to know about this game is you make your own fun. Once you get the basics down, figure out what is fun to you and do that. Don't worry so much about kills or escaping. That stuff will naturally come with time.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Options

This. SOOOO much this.

Also pressing "R" will drop by defaut.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,099
    Options

I'm glad to hear that. The community isn't all bad, I promise. Many of us are actually quite nice.

You'll soon get the hang of the chainsaw and have matches in which you can go for chainsaws only (if you want to). Wraith is a great killer to get more accustomed to the game with. He plays a bit simpler and his power is less transformative than the Hillbilly's, which means you'll learn the basics a bit quicker. As long as you enjoy your time in the game though, you're doing great.

You can put survivors back down on the ground by pressing R. For this you need a little bit of space where you would drop the survivor, so sometimes it might not work immediately and you'll have to move slightly. However, this also grants them a bit of extra wiggle progress, so when you pick them up again they are more likely to wiggle out and if you do it too late they might end up wiggling out anyway. So it's best to either drop them quickly or avoid it.