Fellow Killers: Don't be greedy!

Options
UndeddJester
UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,390
edited May 10 in General Discussions

Good day fellow Ladies and Gentlemen of murder!

Seeing a lot of doom and gloom through the forums about the reduction in gen regression in 8.0.0... and looking at individual changes some things look harsh... but I would encourage everyone to look at the big picture.

Killer have been eating well

Killers have had a lot of improvements in recent months. Basekit gen regression got improved, problem perks like MFT got rightfully nerfed, and most importantly we've had numerous buffs to low tier killers.

A significant number of killers have been improved to push them closer to A tier, (also nerfs to S tier characters to bring them down to A) reducing the difference of Killer strength significantly across the whole roster.

All of this has resulted in a significantly improved killrate across the board, we're seeing that 60% killrate on quite a number of killers now, and we've certainly gotten killers to their rightful place as an entity to be feared...

8.0.0 is making it harder to bully

All that said there were still things that were problems, so on top of this killer is getting significant help in securing their own objective. Background Player, Decisive Strike, FTP+Buckle Up, all nerfed. These things can no longer be used to bully killers easily, and this set of changes is a massive boon to killer that we really shouldn't ignore. Saboing is getting improved, but saboing is still risky and hard to pull off, but that is more potential interactions and time off gens. This is a great set of changes, we can't be greedy and expect all this to come our way without trade offs, and ofc our strongest strategy is gonna get hit to allow for these changes.

The fact killers are generally stronger now, much harder to bully, and gen regression is no longer as strong, it brings more thought to instead going on the offensive and consider pushing the killers strengths specifically, rather than relying purely on gen slowdown to win by attrition. Trying to keep survivors off gens and exerting strong map pressure with our improved chase should be the goal...

Time to try other things...

So with everything killers have gained in recent months, it makes sense to lose some gen regression. People keep talkimg about how they're in a rut, and the game is boring with just having to tunnel every game... I actually see this as a great set of changes to encourage killers to hunt more, and I'd encourage my fellow killers to exoeriment, and consider what you are gaining in this update, not just what you're losing… really consider if you actually need 4 gen slowdowns anymore, or if strengthening your improved chase power even more is more beneficial to you.

Comments

• UndeddJester
    edited May 10
    Options

I said closer to A tier, and the difference of Killer power across the whole board is reduced, you have to admit that.

EDIT: in fairness I should have said B tier.

Numerous killers have had their chases improved, the ones you name all are better in chase. The point you're missing is survivors are losing a lot of the perks to mess with you, get second chances and interrupt your ability to hook. By proxy, this makes the killer more dangerous and efficient for exerting map control.

Killers are enjoying a higher kill rate in recent months than they have been in a long time, you also can't deny that. So with your ability to secure hooks and end chases faster improved, yes it makes sense to lose some gen regression, since we're already doing well. As I said don't be greedy.

• UndeddJester
    edited May 10
    Options

Right? I'm more than happy to trade in those numbers for Background Player and FTP+BU, as well as all these killer buffs.

Almost can't believe Bubba finally got his basekit chilli's and scratch marks.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,548
    Options

I'm super excited for the Bubba buffs, basekit Chili is something I've wanted for a long time and he's finally getting it

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,177
    Options

It might seem like a small nerf on individual, but numbers really do add up to become a significant nerf.

Sure Killers will still run them, but not because they’re good, but you really need any regression you can get at high MMR, especially with weaker M1 Killers.

I’m not sure why they keep nerfing stuff, while there’s over 100 perks that’s just literally trash and needs buff.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,094
    edited May 10
    Options

100% agree with everything you've written. It's a new day! No reason for all the Doom & Gloom around the forums..

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 490
    Options

Preach,brutha!

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

I don't understand how people are mistaking this for greed.

We all know killers have vastly different limits to how they can be played and some REQUIRE the slowdowns if you want to have a chance with good survivors. Why is this never addressed?

And as far as stopping 'bullying', hook sabotage just got a massive buff. We're gonna see more sabo squads trying to abuse boil over builds.

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 208
    Options

I think the point is that it feels greedy because instead of people being happy with changes being made that they asked for, they shift their target to something different to complain about. Are there still improvements to be made? Sure, this game is always evolving so there's always going to be adjustments. But right now, killer is in a really good spot. Kill rates are right where the devs want them to be. And these recent updates have shown that the Devs are listening to both sides.

A week ago on this forum the things people were complaining about- have been changed. (like FTP + Buckle up, DS, Background Player etc.) And on survivor side, it was the 4 stacking of gen slow down perks and how oppressive they were. This update addresses both! That's progress. That's good :)

So I think the point is just a reminder of all the good things that have happened, and that the changes to gen regression are there to balance out the other things. Gen regression has been the meta since like Overcharge/Call of Brine so it's been around a long time, I think it will be good to shake things up a bit. They're buffing alot of older killers too, so I believe they are going in the direction of not needing to rely on perks with gen regress so much, and instead making the killers base-kit stronger, which in my opinion, is good!