The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I Love Year 9! Except…

So, I’m not sure if this should go under feedback and suggestions cause it’s not fully that, more so talking about how I feel with something upcoming and wanting to know how others feels about it. So let’s talk about Year 9

During the anniversary stream, I was getting pretty hyped by everything shown off, What The Fog has been a lot of fun from what I’ve been seeing (love how it looks too). Challenge system is an amazing way to keep players engaged, especially when they’re finished with all the tomes (like me). Finisher Mori is exciting and something I’ve been waiting for awhile on (hope this means new Mori’s for older killers/in general as well).

Vecna’s reveal was really hype, despite how people may feel about his power level, I was and still am very excited to play as both him and Aestri (our first non-human survivor!).

Then we get to Project T which I’m very curious to see how it shapes up, and The Casting of Frank Stone which is phenomenal and can’t wait for that game to come out. Then, it happened.

The Twisted Masquerade was coming back this year and my eyes lit up. I’ve been in love with this game’s lore since I got it back in 2016. The tomes were a phenomenal feature to be added and flesh out characters in 2019. Jezebel, Trks, Lady Trks, Zzl Trks, The Mad Designer; you get the point. She has been in the lore for the past 4-5 years and we finally get to see what she looks like.

This beautiful, crazy woman was one step closer to finally being in the game, showing everyone how important the lore is as we have another killer from an event stepping out of the fog and into the trials and… Justin announces she’s not playable. I was in a call with my friends as we were watching the stream and I made it clear I didn’t like this option. But I tried to push through it and let the segment finish to see how I felt about everything and I like how this year’s Twisted Masquerade is shaping out.

But I can’t shake the feeling that this is wrong. Remember, Jezebel has been an important character for 4-5 years and we finally get to see her and possibly play as her but… no. So much dev time was went making such an intricate, gorgeous, dazzling model that blends together so well. Plus having a complete new voice actress playing her and a bunch of voice lines to read off for the masquerade event itself. But why does this feel wrong? It makes sense that she’s not playable… right?

Some may think that but so much time and effort went into making her, only for us to see her 3 weeks out of the whole year. Why was so much time spent making her and fleshing out so much about her when we only get to see her for such a short time every year? It’s like if a Blight was nothing but an obstacle you had to avoid for the game’s blighted events and then you don’t get to see him for another year and for only 3 weeks. Why does Blight get to be a killer and not Jezebel? She’s willing, she’s throwing a birthday party for the Entity for crying out loud!

Some may say “wait for next year”, “she’ll be added next year”. But Justin explicitly stated that he wanted to be clear that she was not a playable character. We already knew Vecna was our chapter at this point so why state this unless she wasn’t going to be added or thought about being added?

It’s just disappointing for me, I don’t get why the devs spent so much time modeling such a very detailed and intricate model for her and have all these voice lines only to have them shown off for 2-3 weeks of the year. She’s been an important character for so long, so why does she not get to be a killer but Blight does?

I’m just confused, upset and disappointed at this decision. There’s so much potential with Jezebel but I just don’t understand the refusal to make her a killer. Maybe it’s because the Observer’s story isn’t done yet, but he seems more in line with the Haunted by Daylight’s lore as he’s technically one of the catalysts of that event so I’m just baffled at why the devs chose she doesn’t deserve to be a character but just… set dressing for us to look at in matches.

Sorry for ranting, I’m just very confused as to the choice to make her not a killer after the teasers from prior years and the similarities between Blight and her. Both important lore characters relating to important lore events happening within the game. How do you guys feel about this? From someone who’s been looking forward to The Mad Designer’s inclusion into the game I was really looking forward to seeing how she looked, her power, her voice, animations, etc. and while I love her design and voice (need to hear some more lines from her but I like it) it feels like a missed opportunity to cast her away as just a side character to be only used for the event and not someone we can play as. Take care in the fog, please be civil, I want to know your thoughts and maybe I’m overreacting and she’ll be added next year into our killer roster.

At least I’ll keep hope in my heart that she’ll be playable one day, cause I don’t see why she shouldn’t be otherwise