Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

What is your favourite HORROR BOOK ?

Luc_ius
Luc_ius Member Posts: 155

So there was a question for movies, what about books ?

I like Lovecraft's books and Alex Garland who isn't really a horror, more like thriller maybe ?

And I found this piece, didn't read it yet.

Comments

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    One of my favorites will always be Stephen Kings IT. Such a masterpeice imo. Also, where did you get that?!?!
  • George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

HUGE Lovecraft fan here... I've read most everything from him, including the crappy stuff he wrote for magazins. Poor wretch, had such a miserable life. It wasn't until long after his death people recognised his talent.

In fact, I'd love a new, Lovecraft based chapter. Cthulhu would be a little too much as killer, but those sea creatures would be awesome. Or Innsmouth as a new map.

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    Does the communist manifesto count?
  • Luc_ius

@PhantomMask20763 said:
    One of my favorites will always be Stephen Kings IT. Such a masterpeice imo. Also, where did you get that?!?!

Unfortunately I dae only movie.
    I got it in local eshop selling english books, I found it on amazon too - HERE

• Luc_ius

@George_Soros said:
    HUGE Lovecraft fan here... I've read most everything from him, including the crappy stuff he wrote for magazins. Poor wretch, had such a miserable life. It wasn't until long after his death people recognised his talent.

In fact, I'd love a new, Lovecraft based chapter. Cthulhu would be a little too much as killer, but those sea creatures would be awesome. Or Innsmouth as a new map.

I also have some horror collections book with some of his short stories like the one about the couple on hokiday with the strange infection. I like also movies and games based on his books. I read also his Liber Agape and some tarot book. Did you see the movie Dagon ? It's like the game Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth.

What abilities would Cthulhu have ?

• George_Soros

@Luc_ius said:

@George_Soros said:

I also have some horror collections book with some of his short stories like the one about the couple on hokiday with the strange infection. I like also movies and games based on his books. I read also his Liber Agape and some tarot book. Did you see the movie Dagon ? It's like the game Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth.

To be honest, the actual appearance of Cthulhu himself is somewhat of a sacrilege in my eyes. He's supposed to be such a terrible sight for a human to behold, that anyone who lays his eyes on him goes insane at once.
    I've seen some fan made, black and white, 30-s style silent film (up on Youtube), that's a commendable approach. I have not seen Dagon or played any Lovecraft based games. But I'm very suspicious of any of these. I watched Hybridpanda's videos about a recent Cthulhu themed game ("Call of Cthulhu, the Offifcial Video Game" I believe), and it's just unnecessarily gory. Not a mark of true horror in my opinion.

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469

Anything Lovecraft and Clive Barker ...

• Luc_ius

@George_Soros said:

@Luc_ius said:

@George_Soros said:

To be honest, the actual appearance of Cthulhu himself is somewhat of a sacrilege in my eyes. He's supposed to be such a terrible sight for a human to behold, that anyone who lays his eyes on him goes insane at once.
    I've seen some fan made, black and white, 30-s style silent film (up on Youtube), that's a commendable approach. I have not seen Dagon or played any Lovecraft based games. But I'm very suspicious of any of these. I watched Hybridpanda's videos about a recent Cthulhu themed game ("Call of Cthulhu, the Offifcial Video Game" I believe), and it's just unnecessarily gory. Not a mark of true horror in my opinion.

Dagon is a nice cheap movie.
    Haha do you know Carol of the Olde Ones ? Here

• George_Soros

@Luc_ius said:

@George_Soros said:

@Luc_ius said:

@George_Soros said:

Dagon is a nice cheap movie.
    Haha do you know Carol of the Olde Ones ? Here

Oh I love these :D
    There's my biggest favourite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptP0OR-e7rI
    Not sure who came up with these songs, but they're pure brilliance!

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

love some Stephen King books I love cat's eye the movie and book my true favorites books tho are scary stories to tell in the dark ver 1 2 and 3 I still read them sometime call me a kid still but they great artwork is creepy.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

Fave horror book is misery!

• Luc_ius

I forgot to mention Annihilation, that's between my top as a book and movie too.

• KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187
    Does lord of the flies count?
  • Luc_ius

@KiraElijah said:

That seems interesting, I will put it on my to-read list.

• George_Soros

@Luc_ius said:

@KiraElijah said:

That seems interesting, I will put it on my to-read list.

Oh, interesting. Where I live, it's mandatory read in a lot of schools. Tells you a lot about the ever present danger of humanity (or an isolated part of it) always has the potential to sink into horrific, brutal barbarism.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited January 2019

Lovecraft fan here, too.

@George_Soros said:
    I have not seen Dagon or played any Lovecraft based games. But I'm very suspicious of any of these. I watched Hybridpanda's videos about a recent Cthulhu themed game ("Call of Cthulhu, the Offifcial Video Game" I believe), and it's just unnecessarily gory. Not a mark of true horror in my opinion.

I played Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth, and it's actually very nice in the first half/ 2/3rd of the game, it reflects a lot the books it's based off. Towards the end it becomes a bit too much action though.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

@KiraElijah said:

God i remember that book from school and the film! now i sound old lol

• Mrs_Fairfield
    Mrs_Fairfield Member Posts: 125
    House of Leaves
  • Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,160

Mine is "House Of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's an absolutely maddening story about the downward spiral of an obsessed individual of details involving a house without end.

The best bit is that the tale about falling into madness isn't just about the terror he experiences and the tales he tells - it's also about sending the reader into the same vortex, blending genres, styles and narratives in twisted ways, so that the book (in essence) becomes a physical and mental manifestation of the chaos.

Here's a few snippets to illustrate what I mean:

• Vyne456
    Vyne456 Member Posts: 848

I would say scooby-do because it fits the book lore wise 😊

• I have a few. Stephen King’s IT, Misery and Carrie. Also Junji Ito’s Tomie

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,139

Let's see. My favorites are H.P. Lovecraft. The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It by Stephen King. City Infernal by Edward Lee. Lost Souls and Wormwood by Poppy Z. Brite. World War Z by Max Brooks. John Dies at the End by David Wong.

I like to read, especially horror. Some other good ones I've read that I haven't seen anyone else mention (limiting it to one suggestion per author) are Off Season by Jack Ketchum, The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker. The Ruins by Scott B. Smith. The Strain by Guillermo del Torro. The Rats by James Herbert. The Cobra Event by Richard Preston. The Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant.