Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Too many smurfs

It is literally killing this game for me. I haven't played for months because of poor balancing decisions and the fear of nerfing DS, but that's a whole other topic... but I've noticed that after not playing for months that every single one of my games at rank 15 has had smurfs, both killer and survivors. They have 100+ hours per 2 weeks in their steam profile so obviously they are not coming back to the game like yours truly...

They really need to punish people that are D/Cing on purpose.... 3v1 game... smurf game... 3v1 game... 3v1 game... smurf killer game... the game is no fun when this is how it is. It may just be in my region (China) but that is how it has been since my return at the yellow ranks. And as killer it is the same thing.. SWF groups with 2k+ hours at rank 15... these people are obviously de-ranking on purpose just to mess with noob killers. Punish these losers because it is causing me to throw my disposable income at other hobbies instead of cosmetics in this smurf fest.

P.S. I am writing this post-game from one of my yellow rank games. I am the only survivor on my team not using DS and the killer is decked out and using thompson mix/carb tuning guide.... at rank 15...

Comments

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Tbh they might be taking a break themselves. I am right now, for this month. I might play Billy every now and then but I'm taking a break for a while to play other games with my friends. My friends have been begging me to play Fortnite lol. I suck but I can build a massive wall to block shots pretty fast.

But if you see Poweas (I think my name is 'Save me, I'm your father' right now though) at rank 15/20 next season, then please don't give me #########.

• Markness
    Markness Member Posts: 242

@Poweas said:
    Tbh they might be taking a break themselves. I am right now, for this month. I might play Billy every now and then but I'm taking a break for a while to play other games with my friends. My friends have been begging me to play Fortnite lol. I suck but I can build a massive wall to block shots pretty fast.

But if you see Poweas (I think my name is 'Save me, I'm your father' right now though) at rank 15/20 next season, then please don't give me #########.

I don't give anyone #########. I have postgame chat turned off and haven't looked at it for as long as I can remember. And I totally understand taking a break for a long time and playing casually, but people that are smurfing have 100+ hours logged in on this game every 2 weeks (you can see their profiles) and they are only playing DBD, so they are most definitely de-ranking on purpose. Devs should fix this crap by offering them bans if they pull the plug regularly. It was far worse with the d/cers back half a year ago or so, but now it is still pretty bad. Constant 3v1s.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@Markness said:

@Poweas said:

I don't give anyone #########. I have postgame chat turned off and haven't looked at it for as long as I can remember. And I totally understand taking a break for a long time and playing casually, but people that are smurfing have 100+ hours logged in on this game every 2 weeks (you can see their profiles) and they are only playing DBD, so they are most definitely de-ranking on purpose. Devs should fix this crap by offering them bans if they pull the plug regularly. It was far worse with the d/cers back half a year ago or so, but now it is still pretty bad. Constant 3v1s.

They should tbh. Btw I've had so many 3v1's as Billy that it's just depressing right now at rank 10 this season and last season. I can't bring myself to kill them all so I end up farming. It really sucks the fun out of the game. If there's one thing I will never do it's killing 2 or 1 people/person. 3 people I sometimes kill but when I feel bad, I let them go.

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

I have 700+ hours on survivor and only dabble on killer.

Something more should be done to punish people deranking and smurfing to pick on newbies, I agree. Like a 10/20/40 minute wait if they dc, etc.

• TheGodfather
    TheGodfather Member Posts: 46
    Expect more smurfs xd. I'll be of those one "smurfs" next month after rank reset when i will be rank 20. I stopped playing because of very poor optimization and i won't come back too soon.
  • fluffybunny

@jackmadrox said:
    What's "Smurf"?

Someone who plays at a rank they're not supposed to be (often by buying the game again/making a new account). So, you would get people who have been playing for a long time going to newbie ranks and picking on the people who don't know exactly what they're doing.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

how the hell do you smurf in a game where literally all rank means is that you play a lot? it doesnt earn anything, and it barely even affects matchmaking due to how pisspoor easy it is to rank up if you just play a lot.

• ItsYourBoyGuzma
    ItsYourBoyGuzma Member Posts: 797
    edited January 2019

@jackmadrox said:
    What's "Smurf"?

fake accounts and anyone who deranks

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

@jackmadrox said:
    What's "Smurf"?

Small blue creatures which are apparently delicious.

• inkedsoulz
    inkedsoulz Member Posts: 93

@Ryuhi said:
    how the hell do you smurf in a game where literally all rank means is that you play a lot? it doesnt earn anything, and it barely even affects matchmaking due to how pisspoor easy it is to rank up if you just play a lot.

I mean why do they even smurf right? If rank 1 and rank 15 are the same as you say, but they still do it, and ruin a lot of games for other people in the process of doing so.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    Rank reset was just some days ago tho
  • PiiFree
    PiiFree Member Posts: 1,154

Why would you smurf in DbD? You can just purposely depip for the same effect without having to buy another copy & DLCs.... That's why "depip on purpose" is (in my opinion) a real problem. It's exactly like smurfing.

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469

@jackmadrox said:
    People will actually go through all that trouble just to avoid higher ranks? 

Obviously yes...

@PiiFree said:
    Why would you smurf in DbD? You can just purposely depip for the same effect without having to buy another copy & DLCs.... That's why "depip on purpose" is (in my opinion) a real problem. It's exactly like smurfing.

Depiping is often done to avoid certain types of toxic gameplay, or gameplay killers deem as out of thier league. I used to play 5-1 for a while and then stopped because I didnt like playing with those people. I keep myself in the 11-7 because that offers me the best results for the gameplay I like. I dont like "stomping noobs" and I dont like playing with "GG-EZ" gen rushing sweaty elites either. While rank means nothing, most people still use it to gauge difficulty levels.

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

@thesuicidefox said:

@jackmadrox said:
    What's "Smurf"?

Small blue creatures which are apparently delicious.

I hate you for the fact you beat me to this joke.

• PiiFree
    edited January 2019

@Onionthing said:
    Depiping is often done to avoid certain types of toxic gameplay, or gameplay killers deem as out of thier league. I used to play 5-1 for a while and then stopped because I didnt like playing with those people. I keep myself in the 11-7 because that offers me the best results for the gameplay I like. I dont like "stomping noobs" and I dont like playing with "GG-EZ" gen rushing sweaty elites either. While rank means nothing, most people still use it to gauge difficulty levels.

You're still indirectly ruining the fun for actual Rank 7-11 players. You might not realize it but as a former Rank 1 player you have significantly more experience than someone that has never reached this rank, leading to an uneven playground for those newer players.

It's egoistic. If you get upset because a gen rush elite squad beats you, that's fair but ultimately that's exactly where the Rank 1 balance currently lies. High skilled Killers should be able to compete with high skilled Survivors. If they can't, that's a possible result of imbalance and needs to be adressed but avoiding it by purposely deranking won't solve this issue. In fact, it will just shift the imbalance towards Rank 7-11 players and create an even bigger mess regarding matchmaking & balance.

• Onionthing
    edited January 2019

@PiiFree said:

@Onionthing said:

You're still indirectly ruining the fun for actual Rank 7-11 players. You might not realize it but as a former Rank 1 player you have significantly more experience than someone that has never reached this rank, leading to an uneven playground for those newer players.

It's egoistic. If you get upset because a gen rush elite squad beats you, that's fair but ultimately that's exactly where the Rank 1 balance currently lies. High skilled Killers should be able to compete with high skilled Survivors. If they can't, that's a possible result of imbalance and needs to be addressed but avoiding it by purposely deranking won't solve this issue. In fact, it will just shift the imbalance towards Rank 7-11 players and create an even bigger mess regarding matchmaking & balance.

Im egotistical? really? So let me get this straight, I'm a bad person because I want to play causally...

Because I don't want to be harassed, bullied and kicked around. I should just take it up the "you know what" because Legion is a pipping machine who doesn't have to win a damn match to rank up? Then I should just sit around and do nothing once lobbies slow down? I should sacrifice my fun because I fall under a blanket statement of "bad killers" and "bad gamers" just so a bunch of people can feel like they are vindicated from a boogeyman concept that may or may not exist.

I want to have fun .. otherwise Im going someplace else. Some of us are not trying to maliciously ruin everyone's experience, we are just trying to get the most out of our game, before it sucks so much that we want we drop it.

But hey, I could just go play Civ 5

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    No kidding. It makes playing a bit of a slog. 

Between swfs with mixed ranks, and smurfs and killers with no chill, i don't know what to think anymore.

I love the game, but dealing with sweaty people, and try hards in brown ranks kinda sucks.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Markness said:
    It is literally killing this game for me. I haven't played for months because of poor balancing decisions and the fear of nerfing DS, but that's a whole other topic... but I've noticed that after not playing for months that every single one of my games at rank 15 has had smurfs, both killer and survivors. They have 100+ hours per 2 weeks in their steam profile so obviously they are not coming back to the game like yours truly...

They really need to punish people that are D/Cing on purpose.... 3v1 game... smurf game... 3v1 game... 3v1 game... smurf killer game... the game is no fun when this is how it is. It may just be in my region (China) but that is how it has been since my return at the yellow ranks. And as killer it is the same thing.. SWF groups with 2k+ hours at rank 15... these people are obviously de-ranking on purpose just to mess with noob killers. Punish these losers because it is causing me to throw my disposable income at other hobbies instead of cosmetics in this smurf fest.

P.S. I am writing this post-game from one of my yellow rank games. I am the only survivor on my team not using DS and the killer is decked out and using thompson mix/carb tuning guide.... at rank 15...

You should never play after rank reset, unless you are into that stuff.
    Just take a week break and wait until things normalize a little

• PiiFree

@Onionthing said:
    Im egotistical? really? So let me get this straight, I'm a bad person because I want to play causally...

Because I don't want to be harassed, bullied and kicked around. I should just take it up the "you know what" because Legion is a pipping machine who doesn't have to win a damn match to rank up? Then I should just sit around and do nothing once lobbies slow down? I should sacrifice my fun because I fall under a blanket statement of "bad killers" and "bad gamers" just so a bunch of people can feel like they are vindicated from a boogeyman concept that may or may not exist.

I want to have fun .. otherwise Im going someplace else. Some of us are not trying to maliciously ruin everyone's experience, we are just trying to get the most out of our game, before it sucks so much that we want we drop it.

You did great on ignoring the actual point!

...but yes, do that instead of "smurfing" your way back to low rank to "have fun" stomping inexperienced players :-)

Elite squads are in all ranks, but ironically in Rank 1 are far less bullies than in lower ranks because guess what? Bullies are looking for unskilled Killers, which is why they also derank on purpose. Rank 1 Killers can handle them, they get rekt on a regular basis so they derank to find weaker Killers to bully.

You should've realized by now that Legion was made for pipping, not killing. If you find it unfun to play legion without getting kills and as a result purposely derank to face players that you can easily 4k, you're technically ruining their fun.

It's my opinion; players that purposely derank to avoid players of their skill level and instead go for lower skilled players are egoists. Simple. My pride would never allow such a pathetic thing but I guess this is where the community seperates. If you don't want to pip, you can just let them escape / never hook them and you WILL NOT pip. If you still want to 4k even in lower ranks, you're no better than those elite squads that bully low rank killers.

• Ray_Penber
    Ray_Penber Member Posts: 94
    edited January 2019
    PiiFree said:

@Onionthing said:

You did great on ignoring the actual point!

...but yes, do that instead of "smurfing" your way back to low rank to "have fun" stomping inexperienced players :-)

Elite squads are in all ranks, but ironically in Rank 1 are far less bullies than in lower ranks because guess what? Bullies are looking for unskilled Killers, which is why they also derank on purpose. Rank 1 Killers can handle them, they get rekt on a regular basis so they derank to find weaker Killers to bully.

You should've realized by now that Legion was made for pipping, not killing. If you find it unfun to play legion without getting kills and as a result purposely derank to face players that you can easily 4k, you're technically ruining their fun.

It's my opinion; players that purposely derank to avoid players of their skill level and instead go for lower skilled players are egoists. Simple. My pride would never allow such a pathetic thing but I guess this is where the community seperates. If you don't want to pip, you can just let them escape / never hook them and you WILL NOT pip. If you still want to 4k even in lower ranks, you're no better than those elite squads that bully low rank killers.

I actually happen to agree with Onionthing. I suck as a survivor, yet all you have to do to rank up is run from the killer for 30 seconds, do a couple of gens, and save a person. Not that hard to do. I can't loop killers very well or 360 them. So as for me, I very much like the green ranks. I am very comfortable there and I still lose a lot. I used to be in the purple ranks and barely escaped at all. However, I still ranked up. Their whole system is absurd. I do not belong in the purple or red ranks. I am not ready for them yet. I am waiting until I can properly loop and 360. Then possibley I will go into those ranks. For now I will continue to depip.
  • PiiFree
    edited January 2019

@Ray_Penber said:
    I actually happen to agree with Onionthing. I suck as a survivor, yet all you have to do to rank up is run from the killer for 30 seconds, do a couple of gens, and save a person. Not that hard to do. I can't loop killers very well or 360 them. So as for me, I very much like the green ranks. I am very comfortable there and I still lose a lot. I used to be in the purple ranks and barely escaped at all. However, I still ranked up. Their whole system is absurd. I do not belong in the purple or red ranks. I am not ready for them yet. I am waiting until I can properly loop and 360. Then possibley I will go into those ranks. For now I will continue to depip.

All you do is looking for excuses to not play in Rank 1. You don't "learn how to play in Rank 1" without actually playing there, all you do is boost your skill towards "ready for rank 1" while stomping rank 10.

Getting ready for rank 1 is a process that happens when actually playing there. You might find yourself in the absolute lowest skill bracket of a certain rank and then move your way to the top. In Dead by Daylight there are only 2 meaningful ranks: Rank 1 and Rank 20, the ranks in between just represent the time you've spent so far on your way to Rank 1. In Rank 1 you'll find players of low skill that barely managed to get there (maybe someone like you) and you'll find players that play nothing but Rank 1. Of course there is a HUGE skill gap in between and of course the matchmaking is absolute garbage, I totally agree but what you experience in Rank 1 (people stomping you) is exactly what Rank 1 players do to the players in the Rank 10s by depipping.

I wouldn't say YOU personally are a problem (or anyone else here) because technically what you do is refuse to "git gud". However, the numerous streamers and other players with literally thousands of hours - the already "got gud" ones - that purposely depip to play in low ranks. Those ruin the experience for actually lower experienced players that never even smelled rank 1.

• Ray_Penber
    edited January 2019
    PiiFree said:

@Ray_Penber said:
    I actually happen to agree with Onionthing. I suck as a survivor, yet all you have to do to rank 

All you do is looking for excuses to not play in Rank 1. You don't "learn how to play in Rank 1" without actually playing there, all you do is boost your skill towards "ready for rank 1" while stomping rank 10.

Getting ready for rank 1 is a process that happens when actually playing there. You might find yourself in the absolute lowest skill bracket of a certain rank and then move your way to the top. In Dead by Daylight there are only 2 meaningful ranks: Rank 1 and Rank 20, the ranks in between just represent the time you've spent so far on your way to Rank 1. In Rank 1 you'll find players of low skill that barely managed to get there (maybe someone like you) and you'll find players that play nothing but Rank 1. Of course there is a HUGE skill gap in between and of course the matchmaking is absolute garbage, I totally agree but what you experience in Rank 1 (people stomping you) is exactly what Rank 1 players do to the players in the Rank 10s by depipping.

I wouldn't say YOU personally are a problem (or anyone else here) because technically what you do is refuse to "git gud". However, the numerous streamers and other players with literally thousands of hours - the already "got gud" ones - that purposely depip to play in low ranks. Those ruin the experience for actually lower experienced players that never even smelled rank 1.

Hmmm stomping the lower ranks. That must be why I just lost to a rank 11 just now and a rank 18 a couple of matches ago. I sure am refusing to get gud. Oh and I ranked up, imagine that.
  • PiiFree

@Ray_Penber said:
    Hmmm stomping the lower ranks. That must be why I just lost to a rank 11 just now and a rank 18 a couple of matches ago. I sure am refusing to get gud. Oh and I ranked up, imagine that.

Listen, stop putting yourself in the center of attention here. I clearly stated my opinion regarding you personally.

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

@Ryuhi said:

Except that isn't all that rank means, especially at the yellow ranks and beginning of the green ones.

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

@PiiFree said:

@Ray_Penber said:

Are there any streamers that actually play in low ranks?

• Ray_Penber
    PiiFree said:

Listen, stop putting yourself in the center of attention here. I clearly stated my opinion regarding you personally.

I wasn't trying to put myself at the center of attention. I was merely stateing that I suck as a survivor. Also, regarding you previous comment, I don't refuse to get gud. That is what I am trying to do. By your statement there, there should be nothing, but rank 1 and players who are new just need to get gud. 
  • PiiFree
    edited January 2019

@Ray_Penber said:
    I wasn't trying to put myself at the center of attention. I was merely stateing that I suck as a survivor. Also, regarding you previous comment, I don't refuse to get gud. That is what I am trying to do. By your statement there, there should be nothing, but rank 1 and players who are new just need to get gud. 

You try to get gud by avoiding actually good players? Smart.

My statement doesn't say "there should only be rank 1 players". If you play this game to such an extent that you reach Rank 1 then you should stay in Rank 1 because you're WAY ahead of the players that effectively fail to get there. It only makes it worse for those players when they have to deal with "Rank 1" players. I have a friend with around 200 hours on Killer and he just can't get to Rank 10 because he keeps facing elite squads that solely play the game to bully lower experienced Killers like him. It's demotivating and frustrating.

You say it yourself, it's damn easy to rank up but it's still somewhat hard for actually newer players because they have to learn everything. Now throw in some 1000+ h players and watch the newer players cry about imbalance, broken matchmaking, meaningless ranking system and SWFs.

TADAAAA - that's exactly where we are at this exact moment, mainly because of SWFs / smurfs / derankers that create a massive imbalance.

The ranking is not totally meaningless, it's at least an indicator for experience.

• Ray_Penber
    PiiFree said:

"You try to get gud by avoiding actually good players? Smart."

Funny how I just got done telling you a flaw in what you said and then you go and say the exact same thing. Listen close, I...SUCK AS A SURVIVOR. Equivalent to a green rank player. "Try to get good by avoiding good player." Like I said, you can say the same thing for lower ranks. You know smurfing, why would newbies cry over it. They just need to get gud according to you logic. Don't avoid the good players newbies because they are there to help you "get gud".
  • PiiFree

@Ray_Penber said:
    Funny how I just got done telling you a flaw in what you said and then you go and say the exact same thing. Listen close, I...SUCK AS A SURVIVOR. Equivalent to a green rank player. "Try to get good by avoiding good player." Like I said, you can say the same thing for lower ranks. You know smurfing, why would newbies cry over it. They just need to get gud according to you logic. Don't avoid the good players newbies because they are there to help you "get gud".

Your lack of reading comprehension is pissing me off. I don't think I can be any clearer. YOU are NOT the center of attention regarding smurfing and deranking on purpose. You are irrelevant. You suck as survivor and you will keep sucking as Survivor because you avoid playing against actually good players. That's why YOU are irrelevant.

We're talking about the players that OBVIOUSLY have the skill of rank 1 players that depip for the sole purpose to avoid players of their skill level.

• Ray_Penber
    edited January 2019
    PiiFree said:

Your lack of reading comprehension is pissing me off. I don't think I can be any clearer. YOU are NOT the center of attention regarding smurfing and deranking on purpose. You are irrelevant. You suck as survivor and you will keep sucking as Survivor because you avoid playing against actually good players. That's why YOU are irrelevant.

We're talking about the players that OBVIOUSLY have the skill of rank 1 players that depip for the sole purpose to avoid players of their skill level.

But if I continue to die against lower rank players then that won't make me good at all? I mean obviously they don't have any skill that will make me good. I guess I will forever continue to suck as a survivor.
  • PiiFree
    edited January 2019

@Ray_Penber said:
    But if I continue to die against lower rank players then that won't make me good at all? I mean obviously they don't have any skill that will make good. I guess I will forever continue to suck as a survivor.

You won't learn how to deal with Rank 1 Killers, or at least not anytime soon. Lower Rank Killers don't know how and when to mindgame, don't know how to make use of the red strain, don't know when it's worth to drop a chase and go somewhere else, how to avoid flashlights or DS, 360s and Dead Hard. They still heavily rely on the mistakes of the (low rank) Survivors.

You'll certainly reduce the amount of mistakes you do by just playing the game, learn the basics like hitting great skill checks, moving your camera backwards, how to counter specific perks ect but how to deal with a skilled Nurse, Hag, Spirit or Billy? I don't think you'll learn that in Rank 10 because you only rarely face them in first place.

It's a bit similar to the players that simply disconnect when they face a Nurse. They CAN'T get good against Nurses because they never play against them. You need to face them, that means you have to step out of your comfort zone and play against them until you learn how to deal with them. Same with SWFs. Same with flashlights ect.

Of course you can say "I never want to deal with them so I just derank / disconnect to avoid them". It's pathetic and egoistic in my opinion for the reasons I stated previously; people refuse to git gud for the sake of their own fun, which messes up balance and ruins the other players fun.

• Ray_Penber
    @PiiFree

Actually play on the ps4 and am constantly making mistakes. I hardly ever see nurses because typically they suck on console because of the frame rate issue. I seen plenty of billys though. Just faced a rank 17 and lost. I believe he may have been a smurf.
  • Ray_Penber
    @PiiFree

Also get constant free rank ups because either killers want to farm or I get carried by better players into the upper ranks. I don't want free rank ups. If and when I want to rank up to the upper lvls I want it to be because I did an awesome job.
  • Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607

Besides the fact that I think deranking is wrong, I’m a bit concerned as to how a lot of people are Steam profile dependent. The fact that you go into someone’s profile to check how many hours they played to assume they are good at the game or not is a bit preoccupying. You do it once, you do it twice, then you depend on checking their profiles forever, but what for? What do you need to be aware of before the game starts? Or will you dodge a lobby either as a killer or as a survivor because you assume the other party will outplay you due to how many hours they have been playing the game?
    It’s pretty much the same as going into Google when you’re sick because you can’t wait to see the doctor.
    Chill out, don’t spoil the fun, or is it that you never want to lose?
    I go into games in PS4 where I get totally outplayed, badly, and I take it in without ranting. Gives you the chance to improve.
    Now stop making this Steam Profile stalking a thing, you guys don’t realize it’s become a problem.

My 2 cents :pirate:

• PiiFree

@Gorgonia said:
    Besides the fact that I think deranking is wrong, I’m a bit concerned as to how a lot of people are Steam profile dependent. The fact that you go into someone’s profile to check how many hours they played to assume they are good at the game or not is a bit preoccupying. You do it once, you do it twice, then you depend on checking their profiles forever, but what for? What do you need to be aware of before the game starts? Or will you dodge a lobby either as a killer or as a survivor because you assume the other party will outplay you due to how many hours they have been playing the game?
    It’s pretty much the same as going into Google when you’re sick because you can’t wait to see the doctor.
    Chill out, don’t spoil the fun, or is it that you never want to lose?
    I go into games in PS4 where I get totally outplayed, badly, and I take it in without ranting. Gives you the chance to improve.
    Now stop making this Steam Profile stalking a thing, you guys don’t realize it’s become a problem.

My 2 cents :pirate:

And again I blame purposely deranking for it.

A player with <100 hours should NEVER have to play against players with 1000+ hours, that shouldn't even be possible. Since in DbD it IS possible, the players take it in their own hands by checking the players profile and dodge them when they're clearly more experienced. That's exactly what I mentioned earlier, Rank 1 players derank to play against lower experienced players. The lower experienced players get tired of it and start to check profiles. The derankers get dodged and complain in the forum about lobby dodging. It's a classic "you reap what you sow" situation. They dodge high skilled players by deranking and then they get dodged by low rank players that (understandably) dodge them.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607

While they should change the ranking system and disable the deranking option (I have no alternative to it tho) they should also disable the profile feature.

• PiiFree

@Gorgonia said:
    While they should change the ranking system and disable the deranking option (I have no alternative to it tho) they should also disable the profile feature.

I agree. In both the start lobby and the endgame lobby :)

• Onionthing
    edited January 2019

@PiiFree said:

Well at least you said "It's my opinion." I can respect that is is your opinion.

However ...

Let me rephrase. Just because you are rank 1 does not mean you are actually a rank 1 player. You may have had a string of bad players that pushed you to the top. You may have have played Legion a few too many hours. This is part of the reason why the ranking system is garbage. It is not an accurate measure of ones skill, nor is there any incentive or advantage that it gives.

I dont feel I am a rank 1 player, I dont see how this is "egotistical" ... "humble" maybe, "realistic" definitely. I dont belong in rank 1, so I dont strive for rank 1. That's just my opinion however. Obviously people see it another way.

Post edited by Onionthing on
  • Ryuhi

@Chi said:

@Ryuhi said:

Except that isn't all that rank means, especially at the yellow ranks and beginning of the green ones.

You have to fail pretty spectacularly to not at least black pip more than 50% of the time. The way the current system is designed, attrition will pretty much always give a positive yield. The main difference between skill is how fast they rank up, but once you get to the top worse people with more games played are still paired with better players who may have less games played. IIRC its the reason why ranks get reset every month to begin with.

That said, there is zero benefit to higher ranks, and it can even hurt queue times in certain circumstances. Its why depiping randomly became a hot topic again.

• The_Trapper
    The_Trapper Member Posts: 186

Ranks do mean something, when I started in rank 20 I was getting 4K every game.
    "Wow, I must be a naturally amazing killer. I can kill 4 survivors as any of the killers."
    Then when I hit rank 4 to 1
    "2 survivors dead at the end game, that will do...thank God I managed to rack up enough BP to still be the MVP.'

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

3:

• Ryuhi

@The_Trapper said:
    "Wow, I must be a naturally amazing killer. I can kill 4 survivors as any of the killers."
    "2 survivors dead at the end game, that will do...thank God I managed to rack up enough BP to still be the MVP.'

you can't derank past 15, so 20-15 is legitimately 100% new players (or fresh smurfs?)

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636

@fluffybunny said:

Something more should be done to punish people deranking and smurfing to pick on newbies, I agree. Like a 10/20/40 minute wait if they dc, etc.

You can't keep whipping the volunteers while demanding they endure broken mechanics like SWF dear. As fun as it probably seems there is no mechanic to force them to play. They just leave. They aren't going to play tedious games because you insist.

• fluffybunny

@Tucking_Friggered said:

@fluffybunny said:

You can't keep whipping the volunteers while demanding they endure broken mechanics like SWF dear. As fun as it probably seems there is no mechanic to force them to play. They just leave. They aren't going to play tedious games because you insist.

Um?? Am I incorrect to think that it's mostly survivors that DC???

• fluffybunny

@Ryuhi said:

@The_Trapper said:

you can't derank past 15, so 20-15 is legitimately 100% new players (or fresh smurfs?)

Or people playing with their new "friends"

• fluffybunny

@The_Trapper said:

How were you avoiding the smurfs/de-rankers? They're all over. I literally had a game where someone was named "smurf"

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636

@fluffybunny said:

@Tucking_Friggered said:

@fluffybunny said:

Well I assumed the derank remark was meant for a killer doing so to new survivors but I suppose it could be 4 survivors doing it to a killer. It's easier logistically for a killer to do it I think as they only need 1 person to coordinate the effort where the SWF requires multiple.

• fluffybunny

@Tucking_Friggered said:

@fluffybunny said:

@Tucking_Friggered said:

@fluffybunny said:

Well I assumed the derank remark was meant for a killer doing so to new survivors but I suppose it could be 4 survivors doing it to a killer. It's easier logistically for a killer to do it I think as they only need 1 person to coordinate the effort where the SWF requires multiple.

Well, it's more of the act of DCing, bringing veteran survivors down to the ranks of newbies, where they proceed to troll and teabag them, ending the match with "you suck" etc. I have an issue with it because it's against the rules, but also because it isn't making a good experience for the new players who just got into killer and I think may encourage camping and negative behavior. I'm not sure if it would fix the toxicity, but it certainly wouldn't hurt it to have DCing actually have some sort of immediate impact. I've seen others suggest a "time-out" of sorts that grows longer the more people DC.

While playing solo (as I often do), it's daunting when someone DCs at the start or even in the middle. And if you happened to be in a poor position the moment they DC, they'll just go after you next. I've taken hits for people who DCed and went down because of it. It creates a massive unbalance for the surviving members for someone's selfishness especially if done while already behind in the match. I honestly haven't been in the newbie ranks for survivor in forever and I don't remember any experiences where the killer was doing anything to bully the newbies.

• The_Trapper
    The_Trapper Member Posts: 186

@fluffybunny said:

@The_Trapper said:

How were you avoiding the smurfs/de-rankers? They're all over. I literally had a game where someone was named "smurf"

I think back when I was that rank, there were not as many smurfs about truth be told, no doubt I played a few games with smurfs but had mixed results.

• XavierBoah17
    XavierBoah17 Member Posts: 204

Yeah i sed what your saying. A penalty for DCing a game. Rather than a rank down, maybe a matchnaking penalty. Like 30 seconds for first offense, then a 1 min, then 2 mins, etc. If they DC in a row then this just stacks up.