Why Cant I Turn Off Music?

Options

When not in chase, why is there not an option to turn the music off so we can actually take advantage of audio cues better?

Comments

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Because that's what it is intended to do. To give you a sense of urgency.
  • KissyKissy
    KissyKissy Member Posts: 112
    Options

It fails, thus, we should be able to turn it off if the intent is absent. Turning off music would also buff that "survivors breathing is louder" perk -- forgot what it's called.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Options

Turning off music would also buff that "survivors breathing is louder" perk -- forgot what it's called.

Stridor?
  • makayla
    makayla Member Posts: 287
    Options

I wouldn't mind if the music volume in general got turned down a bit. It's way too loud.

• KissyKissy
    Options

@EntityDispleased said:
    It's a part of the game. The same reason why they won't let us edit specific graphic settings so you won't be able to turn off shadows or tweak the shading so you can see better.

Waddyou talking about? Nearly every game ever now has the ability to turn music off. So if they suddenly stopped doing this, you're gonna defend that on the basis of this reasoning?

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:
    It's a part of the game. The same reason why they won't let us edit specific graphic settings so you won't be able to turn off shadows or tweak the shading so you can see better.

Waddyou talking about? Nearly every game ever now has the ability to turn music off. So if they suddenly stopped doing this, you're gonna defend that on the basis of this reasoning?

"Nearly every game" isn't an asymmetrical PvP horror game where audiovisual cues are very important.

• KissyKissy
    Options

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

"Nearly every game" isn't an asymmetrical PvP horror game where audiovisual cues are very important.

Which would make it even more important for those who wish to hear the cues better. Thanks for agreeing with me, bud.

• Orion
    Options

@KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

Which would make it even more important for those who wish to hear the cues better. Thanks for agreeing with me, bud.

The chase music is part of that balance. If you allowed people to customize their settings however they wanted, they could get an advantage based purely on hardware, as opposed to skill. You don't have to like it, you just have to accept it.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@KissyKissy said:
    When not in chase, why is there not an option to turn the music off so we can actually take advantage of audio cues better?

Because the chase music is supposed to deafen you. Yes I dont get it either

• KissyKissy
    Options

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

The chase music is part of that balance. If you allowed people to customize their settings however they wanted, they could get an advantage based purely on hardware, as opposed to skill. You don't have to like it, you just have to accept it.

Look at my first line of my post. The very first line.

"When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase"

• Orion
    edited January 2019
    Options

@Master said:

@KissyKissy said:

Because the chase music is supposed to deafen you. Yes I dont get it either

Yeah, it's one of those things that baffles me. IMO, the only source of frustration in a PvP game should be the fact that you lose, and not the game mechanics themselves. However, some design elements were made with the express purpose of being annoying, like the chase music.

• Orion
    Options

@KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

"When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase""When not in chase"

When not in a chase, the music is very low, or at least it's supposed to be. Maybe it's a bug.

• KissyKissy
    Options

@EntityDispleased said:
    KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

"When not in chase"

"When not in chase"

"When not in chase"

"When not in chase"

"When not in chase"

"When not in chase"

"When not in chase"

"When not in chase"

I can give you the same response, it's a part of the gameplay and balance.

It would be just as invalid. Repeating something doesnt make it right.

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

"When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"
    "When not in chase"

When not in a chase, the music is very low, or at least it's supposed to be. Maybe it's a bug.

Another aspect of low volume is the breathing and footsteps. That's what im getting at. That stridor perk is lackluster and either increase breathing volume or removing music helps it.

• Orion
    Options

@KissyKissy said:
    Another aspect of low volume is the breathing and footsteps. That's what im getting at. That stridor perk is lackluster and either increase breathing volume or removing music helps it.

Since the engine update, there have been reports of audio bugs. It wouldn't surprise me if this were one of them. However, you will never be able to customize sound to that degree, because, as has been mentioned, it's part of the game's balance.

• Orion
    Options

@EntityDispleased said:
    "Why isn't there an option to turn off in game music"

Gets the same answer several times by different people

"No you're all wrong I think the music is unnecessary and we should be able to turn it off"

Why did you make this thread if you're so sure of your opinion?

Another thing that baffles me - why people ask questions when they don't really care about the answers.

• KissyKissy
    Options

Being part of the games balance doesnt equate it to be balanced. For example, a weighing scale can weigh a mouse and a brick and show the disparity of the weight imbalance, but it shows they they are not equally proportional in weight.

I understand "inherent advantages shouldn't be part as a mechanism in the options" as alluded to in "hardware changes" comment. I dont think this is very valid given the aesthetic degree of the ambiance does not provide a good enough benefit to degrade the value of an important tracking mechanic such as breathing.

• KissyKissy
    Options

@EntityDispleased said:

"No you're all wrong I think the music is unnecessary and we should be able to turn it off"

As to defend my opinion, same as you defend yours ...

I will accept a well-enough reason for the lack of this option. I just havent heard any.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,481
    Options

@KissyKissy said:

Yet you repeated yourself 30+ times.

• Orion
    Options

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

I will accept a well-enough reason for the lack of this option. I just havent heard any.

No, you won't. The reason has already been stated multiple times. You just refuse to accept it because it doesn't match your opinion.

• KissyKissy
    Options

@Superyoshiegg said:

@KissyKissy said:

Yet you repeated yourself 30+ times.

Yes, I repeated myself. The idea of my previous statement being right or wrong on the basis of it being repeated is invalid just as any other comment. In your particular example, I had preempted someones reply with my very first line in the thread -- thus, it is necessary, as a means for clarification, not of being "totally correct in my opinion", that a line be repeated as to show the comment had been previously addressed.

• KissyKissy
    Options

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

No, you won't. The reason has already been stated multiple times. You just refuse to accept it because it doesn't match your opinion.

Opinions cannot be objectively right or wrong by definition. I am not completely right so much as you are not completely right. I am just saying I havent received any reason as to change my opinion that aesthetic qualities should not take precedence to the functional quality of tracking survivors. You disagree. Got it. I think we can end this stupid conversation in, "We agree to disagree."

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options
    You say you want the ability the hear other sounds better to give you an advantage and others keep telling you it's part of the balance how it is so people can't get that advantage.

What else needs to be said?
  • Orion
    Options

@KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

Opinions cannot be objectively right or wrong by definition. I am not completely right so much as you are not completely right. I am just saying I havent received any reason as to change my opinion that aesthetic qualities should not take precedence to the functional quality of tracking survivors. You disagree. Got it. I think we can end this stupid conversation in, "We agree to disagree."

I am right because I'm not stating an opinion. I'm answering the question you asked. In case you've forgotten, the question is "Why can't I turn off music?". And I answered that you can't turn off music because it's part of the game's balance. It's how the game was designed. This is a fact.
    Likewise, you can't customize graphical settings because they, too, are part of the game's balance, to keep people with more powerful hardware from having a greater advantage based solely on the size of their wallets. This, too, is a fact.

Now, you can either accept or reject these facts, but rejecting reality doesn't change objective facts.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Besides all the discussion, there are maps or places where the sound is bugged. I remember not being able to play in the swamp because of this buzzing sound that appeared out of nowhere and was really loud.
  • KissyKissy
    Options

@twistedmonkey said:
    You say you want the ability the hear other sounds better to give you an advantage and others keep telling you it's part of the balance how it is so people can't get that advantage.

What else needs to be said?

Nothing more, I guess. I just guess we agree to disagree. I guess no one can convince me why aesthetic qualities trump functionally. Oh well.

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@Orion said:

@KissyKissy said:

@EntityDispleased said:

I am right because I'm not stating an opinion. I'm answering the question you asked. In case you've forgotten, the question is "Why can't I turn off music?". And I answered that you can't turn off music because it's part of the game's balance. It's how the game was designed. This is a fact.
    Likewise, you can't customize graphical settings because they, too, are part of the game's balance, to keep people with more powerful hardware from having a greater advantage based solely on the size of their wallets. This, too, is a fact.

Now, you can either accept or reject these facts, but rejecting reality doesn't change objective facts.

Yes, you're right in the sense if it is a fact if it is a fact -- however, I have not heard this personally from Dev's as a source. Source? It seems natural to arrive at your conclusion, but because it is not definitive, I dont "accept" it because someone on the internet simply said it. Neither do I accept the principle behind the choice -- if it is indeed derived as such.

• KissyKissy
    Options

If any of the Dev's read this, please consider changing your mind on the music part as to favor functionality over aesthetics. Thank you. People ask for a stridor buff and this can be it.

• Orion
    Options

@KissyKissy said:
    Yes, you're right in the sense if it is a fact if it is a fact -- however, I have not heard this personally from Dev's as a source. Source? It seems natural to arrive at your conclusion, but because it is not definitive, I dont "accept" it because someone on the internet simply said it. Neither do I accept the principle behind the choice -- if it is indeed derived as such.

The devs have stated this in one of their streams. I'm not going to search through them, however, because I just don't have the patience, and quite frankly, you're not worth the effort.
    Now, you can either take the word of everyone who commented here, or you can assume it's all a massive conspiracy and keep rejecting reality.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited January 2019
    Options

Nothing more, I guess. I just guess we agree to disagree. I guess no one can convince me why aesthetic qualities trump functionally. Oh well

The music IS part of the games functionality and the whole sound environment, sound in this game is just as important as sight and thinking that allowing people to turn certain sounds off which give them an advantage over others is a good idea boggles the mind.

Sound is part of the games mechanics and not simply an aesthetic in this game.
  • Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,995
    Options

@KissyKissy a stridor buff is not needed, its not used because of a thing called listening for injured survivors, or if they are not injured don't be blind

• Vesperiavi
    Vesperiavi Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Turn your volume down then. Then the music is quieter. 
  • Broosmeister
    Broosmeister Member Posts: 281
    Options
    Music is the most annoying thing in the game. That stupid music when you're injured or in dying state doesn't make it more exciting, it's just annoying.
  • NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,186
    Options

I like the music but guessing that just me I do wish we could pick the music in main room before the lobby.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited January 2019
    Options

"Immersion"?