PTB Knight: Fun, engaging power update! Live Knight... Miserable gaming experience

MrRetsej
MrRetsej Member Posts: 45
edited July 17 in General Discussions

I was excited to test the changes on Knight during the PTB and found him to be a complete blast to play. Cycling guards, canceling guards to set up a different guard mid-patrol, the add-on updates; all welcome and enjoyable to use.

Hoping the live release would at least be similar to the PTB release, I was in for a rude awakening.

As others have stated, this live version of Knight is absolutely miserable to play. I've put in a lot of hours on the Knight since his release so I have some idea on how he can be played. This update, however, is just a mess. I can't cycle and cancel guards mid-patrol (yes I know this was officially "a bug" but dammit, it felt like a welcome feature). Once a guard has completed an action, it takes forever for the power to refresh leaving me as a powerless M1 killer for 10+ seconds which in DBD time is forever - gens fly and players heal up while I'm waiting for my power to come off cool down. With the way the power has been implemented in live with a global cool down and no ability to hot-swap the guards the way you could on PTB, it feels like I have ZERO incentive to switch between the guards. Just pick one and stick with it for the duration of the trial. If I try to use my power in chase, the x3 power degrade PLUS the "totally intended, not a bug" guard-window tech means the survivor just jukes my guard, avoids getting hit by the guard, makes it to the next tile and I'm left without a power while maybe getting a hit in.

In the end, it just feels like the Knight's power has been reduced to "Remote Gen-Kick Simulator 2024." All the matches I've played have felt like complete sweat fests where I'm lucky to pull a 2k and then only by having to camp the final hook after all the gens have been popped and someone decided to be altruistic. Frankly, the experience of playing Knight with the 8.1.0 live release compared to his PTB version is, as a game developer friend of mine would call it "an exit event;" it makes me want to shut off the game and play something else.

Comments

• DredgeyEdgey
    DredgeyEdgey Member Posts: 1,373

Ok I don't get the knight hate hate like maybe I'm just playing him differently but I'm liking him

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,574

Doesn't make me want to stop playing, but it does make me want to play anything but Knight.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,905

You need bad survivors to win with him. Even semi-efficient survivors can just out-advantage him. Still having to wait for your guard to come back so you can hit them, so that you can go on your long cooldown sooner feels terrible. So does a survivor abusing a single window to completely avoid a guard for like a full minute.