The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Killers With No Add-Ons

I've recently been in the middle of The Grind and found myself in a bad place for playable Killers due to some misplaced Prestiges. This got me trying to find which Killers I can play indefinitely using no Add-Ons as long as I have Perks I am happy with. After messing around with some, and watching the ongoing challenge Tru3 was doing, it got me wondering which Killers everyone thinks is playable without any Add-Ons. This is using Perks, however, don't find myself good enough to not use them and it wouldn't help with The Grind so I use BBQ on every Killer.

To start off, I think it might be obvious to say that both Billy and Nurse are playable without any Add-Ons, even on PS4 where I play, but I've been finding that I am doing totally fine with Amanda using only the Combat Straps (Seeing as her crouch is being buffed next patch making it like I am playing Add-Onless right now) and I am doing way better than I even should be using Add-Onless Freddy. I am currently in the middle of leveling Myers, but I feel he'll be able to make it work without them also.

Any Killers you guys can play Add-Onless with results?

Comments

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

I woudl say nurse,billy,hag in that order.

• SuperPrincessChaser
    SuperPrincessChaser Member Posts: 107

@Master said:
    I woudl say nurse,billy,hag in that order.

I feel Hag would be very map focused as some maps are either larger or harder to hide your traps. But thanks to her semi-recent buff I can see that.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Usually play without them as I save up for events and right before a prestige. Really depends on your style and perk preference, but this is who I run;
    Wraith- anti-heal
    Trapper- gen strat stall
    Clown- oppressive presence
    Doc- tough & tiny checks
    Myers- various tier loadouts
    Freddy- fast slap & sneaky
    Legion- slow heal blood tracker

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

i do use no add ons killers to farm BP and spend them on other killers.
    i have experiences with:
    Billy (still very strong) and Freddy (well... hes not rly worse than before)

on the other hand, here are some killers i think could work without add ons:
    Huntress, Pig, Nurse, Wraith, Hag, Clown, Spirit
    might be wrong though.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

When I was maining him I could play Clown with no add-ons and my build was always for points so I used, Thrill of The Hunt, BBQ & Chili, Distressing, and usually Sloppy Butcher because it's fun to make them bleed everywhere/slows healing as well.

Also, I feel Trapper doesn't ''need'' add-ons, of course, it helps to have more traps but you don't necessarily need them.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@DemonDaddy said:
    Usually play without them as I save up for events and right before a prestige. Really depends on your style and perk preference, but this is who I run;
    Wraith- anti-heal
    Trapper- gen strat stall
    Clown- oppressive presence
    Doc- tough & tiny checks
    Myers- various tier loadouts
    Freddy- fast slap & sneaky
    Legion- slow heal blood tracker

Playing a good team with Trapper without Add-Ons can be stressful, playing him against Rank 1 Survivors tends to be stressful in general unless you are really good at placing traps in unexpected places. Good on ya for taking what is more of a challenge than it should be. Add-ons should make a Killer better, not playable.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@Mister_xD said:
    i have experiences with:

might be wrong though.

Freddy is actually in a weird place I find when Killers are all taken with no Add-Ons as his power slows down the game on it's own. If you just target the first person you put to sleep, yea, you'll have a bad game, but if you spread the Dream around you'll actually find yourself in a place of power, especially if you can keep people asleep. Discordance is an excellent perk on Freddy to help you maintain that place of Power. Billy's power is more for traveling than actually downing, though it's definitely useful for that when in a pinch, so no Add-Ons are totally fine, I play with none or brown for him and do well enough.

Huntress, Nurse, Spirit and Clown are all playable (if you are good enough with them as they are tougher to use on console), but I don't know about Wraith. I suppose he wouldn't be much worse without them. Pig on the other hand needs her Straps until the buff comes. With that buff out she'll be perfectly playable without Add-Ons, you'll need to play extremely aggressively (more than usual), however, to secure those downs and slow the game down. You only have 4 traps and there is nothing altering how they play.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@HatCreature said:
    When I was maining him I could play Clown with no add-ons and my build was always for points so I used, Thrill of The Hunt, BBQ & Chili, Distressing, and usually Sloppy Butcher because it's fun to make them bleed everywhere/slows healing as well.

Also, I feel Trapper doesn't ''need'' add-ons, of course, it helps to have more traps but you don't necessarily need them.

Trapper is one of two Killers I feel NEEDS Ruin for prep work (the other being Hag for the same reason), so without Add-Ons and if Ruin gets found early, you are in for a brutal match if you don't have any Add-Ons to carry more than one trap. Can definitely be done but it will be trickier.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

@SuperPrincessChaser said:

@HatCreature said:

Trapper is one of two Killers I feel NEEDS Ruin for prep work (the other being Hag for the same reason), so without Add-Ons and if Ruin gets found early, you are in for a brutal match if you don't have any Add-Ons to carry more than one trap. Can definitely be done but it will be trickier.

Yeah, preparation time is Trapper's biggest problem so having something to distract Survivors until he's ready makes sense. Ruin and Huntress Lullaby together would be sufficient but then you need two other perks because those could eventually get taken down. Spirit Fury and Enduring for pallets could be all he really needs.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

TRapper whether you use addons or not it's always good to place traps in the most out of the way they'll think he'd be stupid to place one here. Those are the ones where you tend to trap people especially if you place some in obvious places.

What makes it work even better is place some in obvious places but not too well hidden like you were sloppy with your placement. The survivors will see the very obvious trap placement and will go to disarm it and if you've placed one in the not so obvious place you'll catch them.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@HatCreature said:

@HatCreature said:

Yeah, preparation time is Trapper's biggest problem so having something to distract Survivors until he's ready makes sense. Ruin and Huntress Lullaby together would be sufficient but then you need two other perks because those could eventually get taken down. Spirit Fury and Enduring for pallets could be all he really needs.

I find Spirit Fury and Enduring can be sort of damning to you, at least in my experience so far. Just started using it as I never had both before and once Survivors knew I had Enduring, they dropped pallets early, assuming I had Spirit Fury alongside it leaving me down a Perk. Great combo if you are never found out though!

• SuperPrincessChaser

@powerbats said:
    TRapper whether you use addons or not it's always good to place traps in the most out of the way they'll think he'd be stupid to place one here. Those are the ones where you tend to trap people especially if you place some in obvious places.

What makes it work even better is place some in obvious places but not too well hidden like you were sloppy with your placement. The survivors will see the very obvious trap placement and will go to disarm it and if you've placed one in the not so obvious place you'll catch them.

Trapper is definitely a Thinking Man's Killer and he can be extremely satisfying for that. Just gotta know where Survivors will run but not look at their feet.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367

I don't need addons when I play Nurse ;)

• SuperPrincessChaser

@Salty_Pearl said:
    I don't need addons when I play Nurse ;)

Add-Ons I feel are very optional on Nurse, it's true. Thankfully, I play on console so a good Nurse is rare, meaning I don't know true terror. Sadly, that also means that it's a trial in frustration to play as her unless you are already good, but her being good with no Add-Ons means it is less expensive to practice.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582
    I honestly forget to put on add-ons usually. So Id say Meyers and Hag are easy without add-ons
  • SuperPrincessChaser

@ClogWench said:
    I honestly forget to put on add-ons usually. So Id say Meyers and Hag are easy without add-ons

I've been spoiled by the range add-ons for Hag. I'm sure I'd struggle without them lol

As for Myers, I feel no Add-Ons would train you to save Tier III more often. Every Myers I seem to go against relies on Tier III to the point off annoyance lol Otherwise he seems like he'd still be just as strong without them.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited January 2019

People have already mentioned a few but I think this is another good example to point out how overly addon dependent too many killers are. The majority of the killers are too dependent on them and need to have some of their strengths pushed into their base kits or alternatively have an easier time getting addons relative to how easy it is for survivors currently.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Nurse, Billy, Hag, Huntress, Myers and Wraith are reliable without addons. Huntress, Myers and Wraith are mid tier killers but definittely good without addons.

• Poweas
    edited January 2019

@Mister_xD said:
    i have experiences with:

might be wrong though.

Freddy is actually in a weird place I find when Killers are all taken with no Add-Ons as his power slows down the game on it's own. If you just target the first person you put to sleep, yea, you'll have a bad game, but if you spread the Dream around you'll actually find yourself in a place of power, especially if you can keep people asleep. Discordance is an excellent perk on Freddy to help you maintain that place of Power. Billy's power is more for traveling than actually downing, though it's definitely useful for that when in a pinch, so no Add-Ons are totally fine, I play with none or brown for him and do well enough.

Huntress, Nurse, Spirit and Clown are all playable (if you are good enough with them as they are tougher to use on console), but I don't know about Wraith. I suppose he wouldn't be much worse without them. Pig on the other hand needs her Straps until the buff comes. With that buff out she'll be perfectly playable without Add-Ons, you'll need to play extremely aggressively (more than usual), however, to secure those downs and slow the game down. You only have 4 traps and there is nothing altering how they play.

Clown sucks without addons. Trust me you need the duration ones to play properly.

Also Spirit is as good as Leatherface without addons.

• KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187

I've recently been in the middle of The Grind and found myself in a bad place for playable Killers due to some misplaced Prestiges. This got me trying to find which Killers I can play indefinitely using no Add-Ons as long as I have Perks I am happy with. After messing around with some, and watching the ongoing challenge Tru3 was doing, it got me wondering which Killers everyone thinks is playable without any Add-Ons. This is using Perks, however, don't find myself good enough to not use them and it wouldn't help with The Grind so I use BBQ on every Killer.

To start off, I think it might be obvious to say that both Billy and Nurse are playable without any Add-Ons, even on PS4 where I play, but I've been finding that I am doing totally fine with Amanda using only the Combat Straps (Seeing as her crouch is being buffed next patch making it like I am playing Add-Onless right now) and I am doing way better than I even should be using Add-Onless Freddy. I am currently in the middle of leveling Myers, but I feel he'll be able to make it work without them also.

The Wraith
  • SuperPrincessChaser

@Blueberry said:
    People have already mentioned a few but I think this is another good example to point out how overly addon dependent too many killers are. The majority of the killers are too dependent on them and need to have some of their strengths pushed into their base kits or alternatively have an easier time getting addons relative to how easy it is for survivors currently.

I agree, Survivor can be played No Perks, No Items well enough, why do Killers have to be expensive to play reliably? I am thankfully on PS4 so my matches against a Beast-Mode Team are actually not AS common as they could be so maybe I could get away using some Killers without them. If I wasn't locked in The Grind it wouldn't be as bad but I am still grinding Killers to 50 and prestiging them.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@Poweas said:
    Nurse, Billy, Hag, Huntress, Myers and Wraith are reliable without addons. Huntress, Myers and Wraith are mid tier killers but definittely good without addons.

Myers is kind of like Freddy and you see his strengths when you play Add-Onless or Perkless. His small Terror Radius can be quite effective at throwing people off guard. Not to mention he has an instadown.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@Poweas said:

@Mister_xD said:
    i have experiences with:

might be wrong though.

Clown sucks without addons. Trust me you need the duration ones to play properly.

Yea, I noticed the duration ones really hurt when missing, but I'm sure he's still more playable than someone like Doctor or Trapper without Add-Ons lol

And as someone who is TRASH with the Spirit, is she not as playable because of her Haunting's low duration?

• SuperPrincessChaser

@KiraElijah said:
    SuperPrincessChaser said:

The Wraith

I feel like his good Add-Ons are really good for him and would struggle without the proper "generic" perk build, which I probably won't use for him in the end. I still intend to try, sadly my Bing Bong is sitting at P2 Level 5 so he isn't being played yet lol

• Poweas

@Poweas said:

@Mister_xD said:
    i have experiences with:

might be wrong though.

Yea, I noticed the duration ones really hurt when missing, but I'm sure he's still more playable than someone like Doctor or Trapper without Add-Ons lol

And as someone who is TRASH with the Spirit, is she not as playable because of her Haunting's low duration?

It's mainly the cooldown honestly, if you mess up, you get severely punished. And the duration yes.

• KiraElijah
    edited January 2019

@KiraElijah said:

The Wraith

I feel like his good Add-Ons are really good for him and would struggle without the proper "generic" perk build, which I probably won't use for him in the end. I still intend to try, sadly my Bing Bong is sitting at P2 Level 5 so he isn't being played yet lol

I found Thanat, Nurse’s, Devour, and Haunted work wonders

Edit: I love my P3 50 Wraith
  • Soren
    Soren Member Posts: 369

Hag's default radius is 40m which is pretty huge, you don't need addons for great games with her. Remember than before her buff we had to play her with a Dead Fly Mud in order to get this radius, and that Dragonfly Wings and Dried Cicada weren't available at this time because they were making her trapping speed miserable. You also have now her machine gun build by default, which is insane. Her buff removes her need for any addon ^.^

• SuperPrincessChaser

@Poweas said:

@Poweas said:

@Mister_xD said:
    i have experiences with:

might be wrong though.

It's mainly the cooldown honestly, if you mess up, you get severely punished. And the duration yes.

Duration seems to be the downfall to a lot of Killer powers lol They just don't feel like they last long enough. For Legion to be designed to bounce between Survivors his power doesn't last long enough to do so without Add-Ons.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@TRGraybles said:
    I can get 3 kills in every game I play with Cannibal using no Add-ons, and thx to BBQ&C he gets his bloodpoints at a fairly good rate that way, even when it's not at Rank 3, recently prestiged him as well!

Leather is on my To Level List like everyone else sadly, the only Killer I have at P3 50 is Freddy right now and it's been a weird experience playing him with no Add-Ons to say the least.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@KiraElijah said:

@KiraElijah said:

I've recently been in the middle of The Grind and found myself in a bad place for playable Killers due to some misplaced Prestiges. This got me trying to find which Killers I can play indefinitely using no Add-Ons as long as I have Perks I am happy with. After messing around with some, and watching the ongoing challenge Tru3 was doing,  it got me wondering which Killers everyone thinks is playable without any Add-Ons. This is using Perks, however, don't find myself good enough to not use them and it wouldn't help with The Grind so I use BBQ on every Killer.

The Wraith

I never got to use Nurse's on him, I got to 50 before I ever got it lol Always wanted to! My Bing Bong is decked out in the Wax Warlock outfit because I always wanted to be a Dark Souls enemy.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@Soren said:
    Hag's default radius is 40m which is pretty huge, you don't need addons for great games with her. Remember than before her buff we had to play her with a Dead Fly Mud in order to get this radius, and that Dragonfly Wings and Dried Cicada weren't available at this time because they were making her trapping speed miserable. You also have now her machine gun build by default, which is insane. Her buff removes her need for any addon ^.^

Add her to the ones I'll try whenever I get her to "playable" status, which she isn't right now as he's P1 Level 5. Man, The Grind always sucks.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,461

From my experience, Ive got to rank 1 while on rotation with all killers no perks or add ons. I didnt have much difficulties with top tiers like Billy or Nurse. How ever almost every other killer I struggled with.
    -Trapper imo needs Trapper Sack to be built in
    -Wraith makes a huge difference with add ons. Windstorm can give him map pressure
    -Billy is fine
    -Nurse if fine
    -Micheal is fine is you can get an early feed off a survivor
    -Hag does surprisingly, as she's everywhere but no where
    -Doctor... poor man.. His shock isnt large enough, and he's just your average M1 killer
    -Huntress you shouldn't have a problem with if you have good aim
    -Leatherface is well, Leatherface
    -Freddy. Do I really need to explain?
    -Pig's power isnt really that good in the first place, her add ons don't really make a difference. Video Tape, Combat Straps and Amanda's Letter are the only decent ones for her
    -Clown does just about the same, how ever because he lacks map pressure you can't do much unless you end chases.. FAST
    -Spirit does just fine.
    -Legion's frenzy doesn't last long enough. They aren't very scary without add ons, how ever they become VERY scary with Frank's Mixtape.

• SuperPrincessChaser

@Shroompy said:
    From my experience, Ive got to rank 1 while on rotation with all killers no perks or add ons. I didnt have much difficulties with top tiers like Billy or Nurse. How ever almost every other killer I struggled with.
    -Trapper imo needs Trapper Sack to be built in
    -Wraith makes a huge difference with add ons. Windstorm can give him map pressure
    -Billy is fine
    -Nurse if fine
    -Micheal is fine is you can get an early feed off a survivor
    -Hag does surprisingly, as she's everywhere but no where
    -Doctor... poor man.. His shock isnt large enough, and he's just your average M1 killer
    -Huntress you shouldn't have a problem with if you have good aim
    -Leatherface is well, Leatherface
    -Freddy. Do I really need to explain?
    -Pig's power isnt really that good in the first place, her add ons don't really make a difference. Video Tape, Combat Straps and Amanda's Letter are the only decent ones for her
    -Clown does just about the same, how ever because he lacks map pressure you can't do much unless you end chases.. FAST
    -Spirit does just fine.
    -Legion's frenzy doesn't last long enough. They aren't very scary without add ons, how ever they become VERY scary with Frank's Mixtape.

Yea, Pig's power is probably one of the least useful in the game, it CAN be useful but once the traps are gone she's just an M1 Killer. Freddy is one of the only ones I am mixed on. I feel like Freddy needs to be played with no Add-Ons to help you learn how you should play him. Other than that, I feel all Killers should be playable without, Add-Ons should just make you better, not playable.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913
    edited January 2019

Killers who are not add-on depended are easily the top four killers in the game. Those would be Nurse, Billy, Spirit, and Hag. Of course add-ons make them more viable but you can 4K easily if you’re good with them.

I’m pretty good with Spirit and most of the time I just use the brown add-ons because I don’t want to waste all my purple add-ons. It’s all about mind games with her, you don’t always HAVE to use her power to catch a survivor...unlike Nurse.

I also don’t think Huntress is add-on dependent either. Myers also isn’t very dependent but his add-ons are easily the best in the game as he is the only killer who can take out survivors without even having to hook them.

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
    edited January 2019

I have, for the longest time, played Hag at rank 1 with no perks and add-ons.

Recently though I've been getting to rank 1 using Legion, Spirit, Hag and Billy without any perks or add-ons.

just an FYI: there are tournaments where no one (survivor or killer) uses perks, addons, or offerings.

edit: And to answer you, I personally think you can use any killer this way, with enough love, time, and knowledge of how to handle loops.

• Theluckyboi
    Theluckyboi Member Posts: 1,113

Myers is pretty good even without add-ons, i remember using black splinter back when i didnt have Myers and i usually got 3 or 4 k when i played with him

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913
    edited January 2019

@SmokePotion said:

Recently though I've been getting to rank 1 using Legion, Spirit, Hag and Billy without any perks or add-ons.

just an FYI: there are tournaments where no one (survivor or killer) uses perks, addons, or offerings.

edit: And to answer you, I personally think you can use any killer this way, with enough love, time, and knowledge of how to handle loops.

Any killer can be good without add-ons if the player knows how to use the killer properly, but you gotta admit that some killers depend on add-ons more than others. Nurse is not able to be looped, she is great without add-ons. While Legion is good at handling loops, they are basically unviable without Frank’s Mix Tape or other good add-ons. Billy constantly has an instadown at his disposal and Spirit can handle loops due to mind game potential.

Top tier killers like Nurse, Billy, and Spirit are viable without add-ons or perks while others (Legion, Freddy, Wraith) are REALLY dependent on good add-ons and perks. Not saying it is impossible to 4K with them though, just very hard to especially at Rank 1.

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
    edited January 2019

@MegMain98 said:

@SmokePotion said:

Any killer can be good without add-ons if the player knows how to use the killer properly, but you gotta admit that some killers depend on add-ons more than others. Nurse is not able to be looped, she is great without add-ons. While Legion is good at handling loops, they are basically unviable without Frank’s Mix Tape or other good add-ons. Billy constantly has an instadown at his disposal and Spirit can handle loops due to mind game potential.

Top tier killers like Nurse, Billy, and Spirit are viable without add-ons or perks while others (Legion, Freddy, Wraith) are REALLY dependent on good add-ons and perks. Not saying it is impossible to 4K with them though, just very hard to especially at Rank 1.

Considering I keep 4king with no add-ons or perks with Legion, i disagree. Some killers have an easier time of it sure, I wouldn't want to try it with leatherface, personally. But i know leatherface players that can play rank 1 with no perks or add-ons. I even knew a guy that used ONLY A SPEED LIMITER at rank 1. No perks, no add-ons, no instadowns, just a fat guy with a hammer, and a half useless chainsaw.

If you know your killer, and know the loops and the maps, any killer you like to play, is viable. If you want proof, just watch any good killer streamer. They will eventually do killers with perk roulette. It's the oldest proof that no killer needs any perk. Even freddy gets ran with useless perk combos at rank 1, and gets 3-4k's.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

I used to play every Killer without Add-ons most of the times as I'm a hoarder for such stuff. For the past year or so, I use Add-ons every single game unless I'm playing Billy. The handicap of not having any has become too great to be reasonable.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080

I've been playing addonless for almost everyone, but doctor and trapper. Doctor is truely addon dependant imo, he needs shockrange to make it usable and any other addon, since they're all good at all rarities. Trapper needs a bag of some sort to carry more traps. Even though you can play him without bags, the chance of getting genrushed is just too high.

• KiraElijah

@KiraElijah said:

@KiraElijah said:

I've recently been in the middle of The Grind and found myself in a bad place for playable Killers due to some misplaced Prestiges. This got me trying to find which Killers I can play indefinitely using no Add-Ons as long as I have Perks I am happy with. After messing around with some, and watching the ongoing challenge Tru3 was doing,  it got me wondering which Killers everyone thinks is playable without any Add-Ons. This is using Perks, however, don't find myself good enough to not use them and it wouldn't help with The Grind so I use BBQ on every Killer.

The Wraith

I never got to use Nurse's on him, I got to 50 before I ever got it lol Always wanted to! My Bing Bong is decked out in the Wax Warlock outfit because I always wanted to be a Dark Souls enemy.

And here I am with the glowing tree 😂
  • LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

I think that some good killers to use without add-ons are Hillbilly, Nurse (If you know how to play her), Hag and Myers